Compulsory offshore excursions due to Covid with P&O

angeliquer

4 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

So another question.  You are only allowed to eat with your own group?  Did I read that correctly?  So if you go to the bar before dinner, you can only sit in your own group as well.  You can't meet other people?  BUT you can sit in a coach with other people?

Coaches will be limited capacity and masks on. Tables in restaurants will be further away so no need for masks. 

You seem to be clutching at straws. P&O are not going to back down when it’s the health of the passengers and crew. 

• Like 2

I know they are not, but the whole idea of not being able to talk to anyone else for 19 nights and only sitting at a table for 3.  We would run out of conversation.  So I guess we just won't go  unless this changes before final balance is due.

I've probably missed it, but I mentioned the other day, that if people are allowed to cruise, then they are allowed to go on holiday to Spain, France etc and therefore will be meeting and mingling normally, so can't see why that should be different on a cruise.

Also if vaccinations are going to required before travel, then that surely means you are now protected and should be able to mix.

Edited by jeanlyon

2 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I know they are not, but the whole idea of not being able to talk to anyone else for 19 nights and only sitting at a table for 3.  We would run out of conversation.  So I guess we just won't go  unless this changes before final balance is due.

I've probably missed it, but I mentioned the other day, that if people are allowed to cruise, then they are allowed to go on holiday to Spain, France etc and therefore will be meeting and mingling normally, so can't see why that should be different on a cruise.

No different in Spain or France to how it is here.  Hotels and other life would not be the same as it was last year and some restrictions are more strict than ours like mask wearing In more places, like outdoors. 

When we go out for our walks we regularly exchange the odd word with others and sometimes linger a bit longer, at a distance.  I am sure there will be some communication between passengers on a ship, but not in large groups at close quarters.

Not being able to share tables isn’t a deal breaker for us, we’ve had some good chats on cruises with people but on the whole we like to keep ourselves to ourselves, can’t be bothered to make small talk on holiday! 

I’ve moved my cruise from this year to next though because it’s an expensive one for us, 14 nights in a balcony. Usual for lots of you but most of our cruises have been 1 week and I wouldn’t want the whole cruise experience to spoil it for us. We do some tours (we’ve got places on our cruise such as Florence which is a way from the port) but I’d like some quiet days between the busy ports just wondering about. 

Edited by P&O SUE
  • Like 3

36 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

We live in West Lancs not too far from you but a decent trek from Southampton. I doubt we would get most off our stuff back. I have left stuff behind on cruise ships before and told there was no chance of getting it back. Like it wouldn't be in a lost and found somewhere.

I lost my Speedo's when I was younger. I think they must still be in Ibiza.🤣

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, joeecco said:

Coaches will be limited capacity and masks on. Tables in restaurants will be further away so no need for masks. 

You seem to be clutching at straws. P&O are not going to back down when it’s the health of the passengers and crew. 

I'm sure nobody expects, or wants, P&O to put anybody's health at risk - passengers or crew.  That's not what this thread is about though - it's all about whether passengers who booked under the old terms and conditions can be obliged to go ahead with that booking after major changes have been made to what they booked.

What constitutes the 'significant alteration' which would entitle passengers to cancel with a full refund is arguable.  Minor issues won't, but obliging passengers to remain on the ship or pay for P&O excursions most certainly, in my view, would.  It's a very substantial change to what was booked!

• Like 2

Just now, P&O SUE said:

Not being able to share tables isn’t a deal breaker for us, we’ve had some good chats on cruises with people but on the whole we like to keep ourselves to ourselves, can’t be bothered to make small talk on holiday! 

I’ve moved my cruise from this year to next though because it’s an expensive one for us, 14 nights in a balcony. Usual for lots of you but most of our cruise have been 1 week and I wouldn’t want the whole cruise experience to spoil it for us. We do some tours (we’ve got places on our cruise such as Florence which is a way from the port) but I’d like some quiet days between the busy ports just wondering about. 

I think that anyone who travels solo will feel that eating and drinking alone would be a major change to their experience on board. Not sure what P&O will do for those passengers (of which there are many).

• Like 8

31 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

So another question.  You are only allowed to eat with your own group?  Did I read that correctly?  So if you go to the bar before dinner, you can only sit in your own group as well.  You can't meet other people?  BUT you can sit in a coach with other people?

You are assuming there is going to be a coach when cruising starts? A lot of these coach companies are in bigger trouble than the cruise lines. Many won't survive this you know. Include the ones you see at Southampton picking up and dropping off.

1 minute ago, joeecco said:

This thread is just going round in circles now, P&O have no more knowledge than we do. Time will tell. 

Indeed, and the same old arguments were discussed three months ago as well.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Harry Peterson said:

I'm sure nobody expects, or wants, P&O to put anybody's health at risk - passengers or crew.  That's not what this thread is about though - it's all about whether passengers who booked under the old terms and conditions can be obliged to go ahead with that booking after major changes have been made to what they booked.

What constitutes the 'significant alteration' which would entitle passengers to cancel with a full refund is arguable.  Minor issues won't, but obliging passengers to remain on the ship or pay for P&O excursions most certainly, in my view, would.  It's a very substantial change to what was booked!

When we do cruise again, I want to feel safe. At the moment, and I stress at the moment, I would not be happy being on a ship where passengers could just wander off without restrictions, so would not go. 

The same applies the other way round, if you don't like the restrictions, don't go. 

I agree that it is a major change and hope P&O will offer the flexibility everyone craves. 

Andy 

• Like 10

10 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

I would not be happy being on a ship where passengers could just wander off without restrictions, 

I actually would be quite happy for that to happen. Just as long as they didn't wander back on again.🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

I think that anyone who travels solo will feel that eating and drinking alone would be a major change to their experience on board. Not sure what P&O will do for those passengers (of which there are many).

Hear hear. I was just about to raise the same point. Paying for a fortnight's solitary confinement is not my idea of a holiday, nor, from what I've read, is it for any of the other solos on here.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

I agree. I fully accept that bubbled excursions are necessary and that we all have to compromise. But that includes the cruise company too! So let’s hope that they provide sufficient information about excursions before the final balance has to be paid so that passengers can make informed decisions whether to proceed or not. And as some believe that there’s going to be plenty of customers willing to accept the new conditions, then the cruiseline shouldn’t be losing out either if some cancel. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

Of course, would be completely different for Solo cruisers. Pre- Covid  it was precious time together for hubby and I - recently have seen a lot more of him than ‘normal’!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

Hear hear. I was just about to raise the same point. Paying for a fortnight's solitary confinement is not my idea of a holiday, nor, from what I've read, is it for any of the other solos on here.

I can absolutely understand that, Annie.  And although we cruise as a couple, we’d both very much miss the great lunch and dinner parties we’ve shared with others in the MDR.  Infinitely worse if you’re expected, for sound health reasons doubtless, to dine alone.

For us, one of the joys of cruising is the varied mix at lunch and dinner.  I’d really miss that.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

If you want to eat and drink with anyone else on your cruise I believe your bookings have to be linked. We always cruise with another couple and have had to make sure that our bookings are linked

Edited by bee-ess
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

You are assuming there is going to be a coach when cruising starts? A lot of these coach companies are in bigger trouble than the cruise lines. Many won't survive this you know. Include the ones you see at Southampton picking up and dropping off.

Have you not considered that the coaches will still be available, and there will always be someone willing to undertake a  contract with a  cruise line, whether here in the UK for transporting passengers to and from the ship, or abroad at ports to provide shore excursions.

• Like 2

We are on a linked booking, but there are still only 3 of us.  19 nights of our own conversation would be very boring indeed.  Hey ho.  Not going to lose much if we cancel.  We booked on board in October 2019.

Edited by jeanlyon