Cruising Without Masks?

2 hours ago, handbellplayer said:

OK.  Got it . You're making fun of me. Just looking for opinions.  I should know better with all of the snark on these boards.

I don’t think he is. He has posted before that he has a cruise around that time.

• Like 1

But to answer the OP's question.  I do have a L&S Oasis cruise in November that was booked with a NRD, so I will be on the ship if it sails.  My husband and I are fully vaccinated and if I have to wear a mask around the ship, I will do it this one time, but I have no intentions of booking anything else until cruising gets back to what it was prior to Covid.  I have to avoid the sun, so sitting out by the pool with a mask on isn't an issue and we like to sit on our balcony and play cards.  

It will be interesting to see how this all unfolds over the next few months and I'm really glad I don't have a lot of future crises booked that I have to worry about.

• Like 3

When this all started many people said that they wouldn't cruise if they had to wear a mask or social distance but as time has gone on a lot of people have changed their minds in where they draw the line. I don't mind the social distancing, I can put up with wearing  a mask but if I can only do ship excursions I will have to consider my position. 

I expect mask wearing will drop off once everyone is vaccinated but it will be up to the CDC I expect not the cruise lines. I would put my money on March 2022 unless there is a big improvement in vaccine availability 

It's interesting how people's attitudes land. In the UK there are very few situations where you're indoors or in close proximity with others outside of your home where mask wearing isn't the norm, and for most it's just not an issue. I'd rather be wearing a mask on a cruise than be wearing one in the supermarket, and I'd rather have a holiday than not.

It's also fascinating to me that this year there have been hardly any cases of flu or colds, likely down to a combination of social distancing and mask use. It's a very small thing we can all do some of the time to make a big difference to anyone, but the overwhelming majority on here say they won't. Compare that to the response to the knowledge a short while ago that there were private nude cruises where people sit on towels and everything is cleaned afterwards, and the outrage from quite a number about the hygiene implications of that. 

Not having a go, it just strikes me as ironic. 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, jalves said:

Masks aren't an issue for us as it relates to cruising.  We have dealt with masks for the past year.  Having to use them on a cruise isn't any different that day-to-day living.  

I don't wear a mask at the beach or park when I'm sitting in a lounge chair or blanket at home. I'm not paying good money only to have to wear it on the cruise all day and night. We book a balcony but I'm not confining myself to my room so I don't have to wear a mask. That's no better than being quarantined. Also they don't take my temperature at a restaurants or stores at home. I also don't want to pay for a ship excursion just to go to the beach. For now home or land vacations are better than being on a prison ship. 

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Iamcruzin said:

I don't wear a mask at the beach or park when I'm sitting in a lounge chair or blanket at home. I'm not paying good money only to have to wear it on the cruise all day and night. We book a balcony but I'm not confining myself to my room so I don't have to wear a mask. That's no better than being quarantined. Also they don't take my temperature at a restaurants or stores at home. I also don't want to pay for a ship excursion just to go to the beach. For now home or land vacations are better than being on a prison ship. 

amen.  Im currently in Cozumel and having a great time following mask rules where needed even with both doses but still independently able to go off on my own.  Its going to be really difficult to conform to rumored nanny state cruise ship rules after my mini vacations this year.  And getting harder to justify spending the vacation dollars on the rumored type of vacation.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, jalves said:

Masks aren't an issue for us as it relates to cruising.  We have dealt with masks for the past year.  Having to use them on a cruise isn't any different that day-to-day living.  

I feel the same way.  I'm so used to wearing a mask that it doesn't even bother me now.  I would happily go on a cruise where masks are required. 

Edited by time4u2go
  • Like 4

I'm very interested to see how the first cruises from the USA especially from the northeast go.

I worry about the level of animosity on cruises where masks will be required. There will be too many people that won't comply once on board. Both sides of the issue will be fueled by the amount of money spent to be there, having their family with them, close proximity and lets add alcohol to the mix.

I think the cruiseline's max mandates will end sooner than planned due to all the issues they cause. I suppose some early reports of zero tolerance resulting in being put off at the next port may influence this, but the first cruises should be interesting. Count me out. I cruise to relax, not stress.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

One of the reasons I'm not concerned about having to take a ship's excursion on my next cruise is because it's on Oasis, which I have always felt is the destination with the ports being secondary.  While not ideal, I can stay on the ship for the week without getting off. I won't do it again, but by November I will probably be so happy to get away that I can live with whatever rules are enforced - but one time only.

Firstly crusing will need to start and given there is lot's of uncertainty even with the Vaccinations and the longer term effectivness we will very likely first see cruise ships going into operation one after the other starting with limited capacity and the full program of social distancing + Masks and then step by step most restrictions will disapear, however it will take time. Hence, before 2023 I doubt we will see a equivalent cruising experience we had in the past with certain things maybe to stay for ever, such as buffets to be not anymore self service and have staff serve the guests + hygine protocols that were already high before the pandemic to be even more strict.

• Like 1

I don't think cruiselines are going to be quick to relax rules, even if COVID has largely receded and most people are vaccinated.  Too much potential bad press and liability.  

I think mask requirements and other similar rules will last well into 2022.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ThirstyCruiser said:

I'm very interested to see how the first cruises from the USA especially from the northeast go.

I worry about the level of animosity on cruises where masks will be required. There will be too many people that won't comply once on board. Both sides of the issue will be fueled by the amount of money spent to be there, having their family with them, close proximity and lets add alcohol to the mix.

I think the cruiseline's max mandates will end sooner than planned due to all the issues they cause. I suppose some early reports of zero tolerance resulting in being put off at the next port may influence this, but the first cruises should be interesting. Count me out. I cruise to relax, not stress.

You bring up very good points about the masking non-compliance issue. These issues are the reason why I would really like to see cruise lines mandate all passengers and crew be vaccinated. Once it is studied further and verified that vaccinated people do not spread the virus (I truly believe that will be determined) then masking should not be required. I don't mind distancing myself from others so I'm still on board (no pun intended) for the distancing, especially with less than full capacity ships.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mek said:

One of the reasons I'm not concerned about having to take a ship's excursion on my next cruise is because it's on Oasis, which I have always felt is the destination with the ports being secondary.  While not ideal, I can stay on the ship for the week without getting off. I won't do it again, but by November I will probably be so happy to get away that I can live with whatever rules are enforced - but one time only.

I would definitely take a "cruise to nowhere" with one port of call......Coco Key. I've always considered the Oasis class ships as the destination.

I just had a thought and this is totally my own idea......

When checking in, those people who are vaccinated will show proof of vaccination. Once it is determined that vaccinated people can not infect anyone, then and only then, a vaccinated person can board the ship with no mask and never need to wear a mask. Upon proving that said person is vaccinated, an ID bracelet will be placed on the person's wrist using a bright green color to signify that this person is "good to go" without a mask.

All others who board the ship without vaccination proof will need to wear a mask.

Anyone think this may work? At least I'm backing down a bit from my stance that all passengers and crew on cruise ships must be vaccinated.

In my brainstorm, this will only work if the entire ship will not have to be quarantined if cases of Covid positive people are discovered on board. That is a must stipulation for me to cruise again. I do not want to be detained by being on a ship in quarantine.

I will find other ways to vacation just as others have already done. I don't want it to come to this for hubby and myself but only time will tell what is in our cruising future.

Edited by coffeebean
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

I just had a thought and this is totally my own idea......

When checking in, those people who are vaccinated will show proof of vaccination. Once it is determined that vaccinated people can not infect anyone, then and only then, a vaccinated person can board the ship with no mask and never need to wear a mask. Upon proving that said person is vaccinated, an ID bracelet will be placed on the person's wrist using a bright green color to signify that this person is "good to go" without a mask.

All others who board the ship without vaccination proof will need to wear a mask.

Anyone think this may work? At least I'm backing down a bit from my stance that all passengers and crew on cruise ships must be vaccinated.

In my brainstorm, this will only work if the entire ship will not have to be quarantined if cases of Covid positive people are discovered on board. That is a must stipulation for me to cruise again. I do not want to be detained by being on a ship in quarantine.

I will find other ways to vacation just as others have already done. I don't want it to come to this for hubby and myself but only time will tell what is in our cruising future.

Quoting myself here.....

More thoughts on this subject...... This proof of vaccination and ID band idea could hold true for other activities and destinations. Theme parks, sporting events, airplane travel, train travel, movie theaters and all sorts of venues that can have someone check your vaccine records.

Do any of you think this could work or is this just a silly idea have? This way, folks who can not or refuse to be vaccinated can still do all the things that vaccinated people do BUT they must comply with masking and distancing.

Edited by coffeebean

Might I suggest a Big Red "A".

As for masks, the super scientific study I did currently says 42.656% of people will wear masks for the foreseeable future when in crowded situations.  22.35% will don masks in small groups of non-family members. So, I think masks are here to stay and will be the norm of cruise ships for quite a while. (Whatever quite a while means)

If cruises do not become mask-free soon after cruising resumes then they will have a massive problem - on land we will (if all goes to plan) be largely restriction free - things like festivals and nightclubs will be open, that's lots of people together in close proximity, mask free. Worse they will have land-based holidays to comapre with. These will not require masks, and the biggy is there's no risk of being quarantined in your room if there's a case of covid. You can be worry free and able to relax and enjoy yourself.

So do not compare our need to wear a mask today with how we'll be in the latter half of the year if all goes to plan... we'll be free of masks and the need to socially distance and the average person will NOT want to go back to those requirements. If it stays on cruise ships then it's only us die hards on forums like this that may tolerate it, and even then not all of us. Once reviews come out showing the restrictions and how people get frustrated with them (You can just imagine the "I've been vacinated, why do I need to do this when I could have booked a holiday to Spain and not had to think about masks?" reviews) it will be very costly for Royal, and indeed any cruise line. I am sure they are well aware of this.

• Like 5