The Daily for Tuesday Mar 02, 2021

richwmn

Today is International Rescue Cat Day, Old Stuff Day, and National Sportsmanship Day

Nobody got where they are today by living for tomorrow. - Tom Wilson

Meal suggestion for today - Slow-Cooker Chicken & Dumplings

Drink of the Day - Caramel Apple Martini

Wine of the day - Elk Cove Vineyards Mt Richmond Pinot Noir - Oregon - Red

Port of the Day - Greenock (Glasgow) Scotland United Kingdom

At Sea Pacific
Koningsdam Destination La Paz MX eta 3/5
Westerdam Baja
Zuiderdam Destination Long Beach eta 3/3

La Paz MX
Nieuw Amsterdam Anchorage
Noordam Anchorage

Southampton GB
Oosterdam

Stirrup Cay
Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

Torquay UK
Eurodam Anchorage
Volendam Anchorage
Zaandam Anchorage

0302USA.thumb.png.6a27fedd91860926beeffd3ea759c01a.png

0302Tor.thumb.png.944bb4142179a1b126461faa02cd09cb.png

• Like 29
  • Thanks 4

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

It's wonderful that people rescue cats.  I love old stuff.  And everyone should be have good sportsmanship.

The meal suggestion sounds great, and the drink of the day sounds like dessert.

Looking forward to reading about the wine.

Another port I have not been to, maybe someday.

Praying for our world.

Stay safe.

• Like 18

Thank you for the Tuesday Daily, Rich, rescuer supreme of cats.  A salute to old stuff and sportsmanship, a lesson a certain soccer goalie could use.  Interesting quote.  I'm more into chicken than dumplings.  My alternative is Classic Caesar Salad, Roast Prime Rib, and Vanilla Ice Cream, as served on MS Prinsendam March 2, 2019:

https://morethangetaways.files.wordpress.com/2019/03/dishes02.jpg

Today's care list:

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

myself facing cardiac surgery

NextOne DH recovering from surgery and facing chemo

RIP Cunnorl’s brother

StLouisCruisers grandson waiting till Wednesday for orthopedist

HAL (and other crews)

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Occasional posters including CNSJ

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

First jab for kplady (great story)

Second jabs for StLouksSal

The Port of the Day

This community for 11 ½ months

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 29
  • Thanks 3

Good Morning and thanks for the report.   I will be sure to pat the cat extra today.  For some reason I have never been to Glasgow, would love to go.  Meal of the day here is: DH's choice - his day to cook.

Comfort and hope to those who are suffering, kudos to those who keep us safe.  

• Like 18

Good Morning, thanks for the daily report.  All seven of the cats in our house are rescues.  The meal suggestion sounds good.  We’ll be having chicken but no dumplings.  Yesterday I spoke with our PCC and booked the NS for Christmas and New Year for this year.  DH gets his second shot this week, hospital worker.  I still have to wait but should be able to get it before final payment date.

• Like 21

Good morning, everyone.  

No cats here, but I have a ton of old stuff.   My old family photographs are a prized possession.  

Water fitness is cancelled for today.  No instructor available.  But, it is going to be a nice day out eventually, so I'll do some laps around the block and get caught up on the neighborhood.  

Today's meal is similar to one we had a short time ago, but this recipe is for the slow cooker.  The normal web page, Taste of Home, did not come up on the search, so I had many to choose from.  The recipes are all similar, just some minor variation.  I chose the one I did because they give all kinds of variations that you can use.  Different people, different tastes.  

https://www.themagicalslowcooker.com/slow-cooker-chicken-and-dumplings/

chicken-and-dumplings-1-2-800x1200.jpg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 😄 

Great collection of days - my favourite is Cat Rescue Day.  So many of them need homes.  Kudos to Rich & Crazy For Cats and all who rescue them ♥️ 

Love that quote by Tom Wilson.  The meal suggestion sounds great.  We need some kind of comfort food again today dealing with all the ice and the cold in this part of the Frozen Tundra.  It’s a brutal -25 (-13 F) here so it’s difficult to stay out long to work on de-icing our driveway.

The only problem is it’s similar to last night’s dinner in the slow cooker.

38271B68-3D2D-4E40-92C5-F92F28E2CC1D.thumb.jpeg.0e5980dc953aedc89a07a89db01d6739.jpeg

That drink of the day sounds like it is sickenly sweet.

We enjoyed Glasgow many years ago - not on a cruise but on a land trip.  Sadly my pics are the “old” kind and can’t be shared.  Love Scotland and it’s people and looking forward to returning next year to some different spots on our cruise.

Prayers for those on Roy’s Care list & for those that need them.  And a toast to everyone on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Tuesday, everyone.  Stay warm and safe and please don’t forget your masks 😷 

Words to live by 😉 

2A2B5852-B3A4-4F7D-81B3-62A2FF6EDB12.thumb.jpeg.d2e07c530528867cb526f04d9ec9b37d.jpeg

• Like 36

Good morning Rich and all my friends who read and/or post on this thread or any HAL Thread.  Thanks for the fleet report. I prefer Roy's meal suggestion. Roy thanks for the two lists you give us each day.  My best to all of you.

• Like 16

Good morning.  Great group of days, all of our cats have been rescues.  I have lots of old stuff around, and I agree, that goalkeeper should practice Sportsmanship.  I disagree with the quote.  If we weren't planning for tomorrow we wouldn't be where we are today.  We had chicken and dumplings last week so will pass on the menu.  Never been to Europe so will so enjoy everyone's postings about Scotland today.  Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Caramel Apple Martini:

Ingredients
Caramel
6 tablespoons packed brown sugar 1 1/2 teaspoons butter 2 tablespoons water Garnish
2 green apple slices 1 tablespoon chopped peanuts Martini
2 oz (1/4 cup) sour apple-flavored schnapps 2 oz (1/4 cup) butterscotch-flavored schnapps 2 oz (1/4 cup) apple- or vanilla-flavored vodka 2 cups ice
Steps

1 In small microwavable bowl, microwave Caramel ingredients on High 40 to 60 seconds or just until it begins to boil. Dip each apple slice into caramel; sprinkle each with 1/2 tablespoon peanuts. Set aside. Cool remaining caramel slightly.
2 Spoon cooled caramel into each of 2 martini glasses. Place glasses in freezer while making martinis.
3 In martini shaker, place schnapps, liqueur and vodka; shake well. Strain into chilled martini glasses. Garnish with caramel-dipped apple slices.

Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 7.15.28 AM.png

• Like 22
  • Thanks 3

Today's sunrise is from yet another string of cruises, I believe my first time cobbling cruises together.  I had booked a 2010 Queen Victoria World Cruise segment (Bangkok to Dubai), and at least slightly shortened my flying time by booking Crystal Symphony Los Angeles to Sydney.  On March 2 the Symphony was crossing the Pacific towards Hilo.

IMG_1626.thumb.JPG.be2b89c0a3969806632dd

Roy

• Like 30

23 minutes ago, kazu said:

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 😄 

Great collection of days - my favourite is Cat Rescue Day.  So many of them need homes.  Kudos to Rich & Crazy For Cats and all who rescue them ♥️ 

Love that quote by Tom Wilson.  The meal suggestion sounds great.  We need some kind of comfort food again today dealing with all the ice and the cold in this part of the Frozen Tundra.  It’s a brutal -25 (-13 F) here so it’s difficult to stay out long to work on de-icing our driveway.

The only problem is it’s similar to last night’s dinner in the slow cooker.

38271B68-3D2D-4E40-92C5-F92F28E2CC1D.thumb.jpeg.0e5980dc953aedc89a07a89db01d6739.jpeg

That drink of the day sounds like it is sickenly sweet.

We enjoyed Glasgow many years ago - not on a cruise but on a land trip.  Sadly my pics are the “old” kind and can’t be shared.  Love Scotland and it’s people and looking forward to returning next year to some different spots on our cruise.

Prayers for those on Roy’s Care list & for those that need them.  And a toast to everyone on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Tuesday, everyone.  Stay warm and safe and please don’t forget your masks 😷 

Words to live by 😉 

2A2B5852-B3A4-4F7D-81B3-62A2FF6EDB12.thumb.jpeg.d2e07c530528867cb526f04d9ec9b37d.jpeg

I just stole your quote.  I like it!

• Like 8

Like many others here I have never been to Greenock.  I did visit Glasgow on my first trip outside North America (Crystal Symphony, 1996) when I toured the UK by train for a few days before boarding the ship.  My family's roots are from the Glasgow area but I did not really learn anything except that I am not suited to driving on the left side of the road.

Roy

• Like 23
  • Haha 3

Rich, you are our rescue cat hero, taking in those who walk through your door (or cat door) Thank you for the Daily.

Good morning fellow Daily-ites, and precious sisters.  Prayers out to you Roy and all folks on our prayers list. 

St. Louis, and news yet on the sports injury? Poor guy..

We've been through Scotland on tours 2 times. Last one was August 2018. We stopped in Glasgow for the night. I think Greenock is 20 plus miles from Glasgow?

Happy and thankful we were able to see the Edinburgh Tattoo both times!

Allen had his yearly dermatologist's appt. Had to get a biopsy of his temple area. He's had basal cell carcinoma twice on both temples, so waiting to see how this test turns out.

We met friends for lunch, 8 of us. It was too windy and chilly to sit outside, so our favorite waiter hemmed us into an area ourselves. Even though Allen and I have had our 2 shots, I was still nervous. Not ready for indoors yet!

The guys began work on the patio yesterday. To me it looks like a jigsaw puzzle.. 

Sending you blessings, prayers and cheers!

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Rich, thank you for today’s Daily! It is so chock full of info! I am really looking forward to reading what everyone says about the Port of the Day. Scotland is on my bucket list!
Love the combo of days. When I lived in Annapolis, I adopted four cats from the local shelter & did a lot of TNR work with a local group. In fact at one time I had seven cats living with me & my regular gang, while we relocated them to a safer place. It was a bit wild, that is for sure! And I just packaged up six boxes of stuff that no longer fits, or I no longer need to donate to the local AmVets group. But I still have a bunch of old stuff. Good sportsmanship seems to be hard to find these days. I hope that goalie’s team deals with his action appropriately. 

Roy, thank you for keeping our lists. Morning Dailyites & my Sisters! Summer, not sure about the quote. Though I know “living” for tomorrow doesn’t help, “planning” surely does. I might make the meal without the dumplings. Maybe I would make biscuits and serve them together. Pass on the drink. Though I love the color of it. 

The rain is heading in, though right now it is just cloudy. More roasted veggies for me tonight, though they will have some homemade marinara on them. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

All vintages of this Pinot Noir from Oregon has excellent - superb ratings, and a surprisingly decent price starting around $38.99. And the winemaker’s notes mention chocolate! I wonder if they just make it up to attract all the chocoholics of the World? The following info focuses on the 2018 vintage. I love PN with raspberry & blackberry notes, so this one is going on my list. 

Winemaker Notes

Deep and brooding with aromas of dark chocolate and ripe Italian plum, its dusty tannins lend structure to lush black currant and blackberry compote flavors. Finishes earthy with dried fig, black tea and pinesap.

JS93 James Suckling: A suave, concentrated pinot that has a wealth of rich, ripe red and dark cherries on the nose and palate. Oak is beautifully stitched into the fruit here, adding subtle spice and supportive structure to the finish. 

WS93 Wine Spectator: Harmonious and elegantly complex, with pretty rose petal, raspberry and black tea flavors that build richness and tension toward fine-grained tannins. Drink now through 2028.

WE92 Wine Enthusiast: This wine bursts in a raspberry jam tone along with a hint of brown sugar. There's an underlying minerality and drying tannins. Give this plenty of air or another couple of years in the cellar.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all! 

My grand cats were rescues. Phantom has been gone a couple of years, lived to be 17 and he could hide so you couldn’t find him. He was black with a white mask, hence his moniker. Iggy is going on 19, and has a split personality. Sometimes he loves me and cuddles on my lap. Sometimes he ignores me. Sometimes he will lurk under the dining room table and attack my ankles. Don’t have a good picture of Phantom, but here is one of Iggy.

I have never been to Scotland ☹️.

Day after our second shot we are feeling good. DH is a little stiff, but that is most likely because he cleaned up all the fallen branches from our backyard yesterday. Otherwise just a sore arm, a little tiredness. 

Take care,

St Louis Sal

E5DB12C9-1A1E-4569-AE02-C21BEDE1A038.jpeg

• Like 23

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Our lovely Sochi is a rescue, I love something old (DH), and he always says I'm such a good sport that I rescued him.  LOL

We've never been to Scotland, but I've seen such lovely pictures of the place that it's definitely on our list.

@summer slope, I think today's drink would make a lovely dessert - just thinking about it makes me wish I could enjoy one after a great meal on a Dam ship.

@cat sheparda wine that speaks of chocolate AND dark cherries?  I'm in!  It is interesting though, how one review says to drink now (yes!!), while the other says to give it "plenty of air" or let it age a couple of years.  You buys the bottle, you takes your chances, I guess.  LOL

Nothing exciting happening here on the "frozen tundra" except that the temperatures are moderating this week which should bring down the snow a little.  I'm sorry @kazuis suffering with more ugly weather; please be careful!  I'm off to the dentist today - nothing serious, just some maintenance on old fillings.

I like today's suggestion without the dumplings.  I'm getting tired of cooking, so I think maybe tonight we'll make a run through a drive-through for some fast food, DH's choice.  We'll bring it home and enjoy it at our own table.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra hugs for Roy.  Yay for everyone who is getting their first and second jabs!  We'll clink our glasses together to toast all on the happy list tonight.  Stay well, be safe, wash your hands and wear your mask(s).

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 24

Good  morning. It  is  an  interesting  collection  of  days. My  DD  and  SIL  have  rescued  many  cats  in  their  twenty  years  together.They  have  four  at  this  time  and  it  is  fun  to  hear  the  cats  running  back  and  forth  when  I  am  in  my  living  room. The  cats  are  now  used  to  both  of  them  working  from  home  and  I  wonder  how  they  will  adjust  when  and  if  they  return  to  their  respective  offices.

We  have  visited  Scotland  but  not  Glasgow. I  look  forward  to  hearing  about  the  port.

Terry

• Like 20

27 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Allen had his yearly dermatologist's appt. Had to get a biopsy of his temple area. He's had basal cell carcinoma twice on both temples, so waiting to see how this test turns out.

Joy, Thank goodness we can catch this stuff in it’s early stages.  Praying for the best result!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thank you everyone for your continuing concerns about DGS and that unsportsmanlike goalie.  I don't know anything about the team that player was on except the Tigers had been warned by another team that their opponents that afternoon played "dirty".  DH and I watched the last 10 or 15 minutes of the video which is when the injury occurred, and we saw two trips and a shove, which all became penalties against the team.  Perhaps if they didn't break the rules so often they might have a better chance of winning, but instead the teams they beat up on get penalty kicks awarded and beat them!  Yay for us!  The teams in the tournament in Indiana could have been from any nearby states, since the Tigers were from Michigan.  Teams of a certain level are invited to tournaments like this all the time, so they aren't just the local kids in the neighboring school district for instance.  I hope someone sits the "dirty" team down and explains the rules of soccer and a give them a good lesson in sportsmanship.  

What fun we're going to have talking about the new port of the day feature!  Greenock is a port we've been to about 4 times.  From there you can visit Glasgow.  On one cruise we had some friends along and they insisted on taking a ship's tour in every port.  So that day I went with them to see Loch Lomond and the village of Luss.  It rained all afternoon, but we all had umbrellas.  There is a picture of me and my friend, taken by her DH of us standing in a field under the umbrellas with some ducks.  After all  it was a good day for ducks, as the old saying goes.  ☂️🦆

I've made photo books of all my cruises so I think I will get the photo books out for the Greenock cruises and see what we did there each time.  As we have a new port to celebrate each day, this will probably become a regular thing for me to do, and I'm grateful to have those books to look back on and relive my travels.  

Edited to say I finally found the photo (it was in my friend Bob's grouping of photos) of Sandy and Sandi with one of the ducks in the rain.  enhance

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 31