The Daily for Thursday Mar 11, 2021

richwmn

Today is Johnny Appleseed Day, Popcorn Lover's Day, and Worship of Tools Day

"Life is growth. If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead. - Morihei Ueshiba"

Meal suggestion for today - Smoked Mozzarella Chicken with Pasta

Drink of the Day - Agro Dolce

Wine of the day - Laboure-Roi Chablis ler Cru - France - White

Port of the Day - Funchal (Madeira) Portugal

At Sea Pacific
Noordam Destination Los Angelas eta 3/13
Westerdam Destination La Paz MX eta 3/13
Zuiderdam Destination La Paz MX eta 3/11

La Paz MX
Koningsdam Anchorage
Nieuw Amsterdam Anchorage

Stirrup Cay
Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

Torquay UK
Eurodam Anchorage
Oosterdam Anchorage
Volendam Anchorage
Zaandam Anchorage

0311USA.thumb.png.7920a53aa1dd5dcaf59c918fe76d0223.png

0311Tor.thumb.png.36a4e031aaa6c4b1bfb95d8d0c13e93a.png

• Like 27
  • Thanks 4

Thank you for the Tuesday Daily, Rich.  Cheers to Johnny Appleseed and  I'm a popcorn lover.  I've certainly loved tools although don't use them as much as I used to.  Been  to Funchal several times, I think even with HAL but am not sure.   I love the quote and Smoked Mozzarella Chicken with Pasta sounds quite nice as well.  My alternative is Grandma's Chicken Noodle Soup, Veal Parmigiana, and Ricotta Raspberry Tart, as served on MS Prinsendam March 11, 2019:

https://morethangetaways.files.wordpress.com/2019/03/dishes11.jpg

Today's care list:

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

myself facing cardiac surgery

NextOne DH in rehab and facing chemo

RIP, Pavlinka Dimitrova Afanasieva.

Cunnorl’s BIL still hospitalized

Mary229's friend Rachel with breast cancer

Mamaofami and DH

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Welcome aboard caroltovt

Occasional posters including surfcitygirl                    

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

Great pathology report for superoma

Second jab for JazzyV

Canadian jabs ramping up including bennybear, Tbay’s DS, Cruisepuck’s mom

Horizon Chaser 1957's Maternity Nurse

This community for 51 weeks

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 26
  • Thanks 4

Good morning, everyone.

I do like popcorn and use it as a comfort food at times.  While I appreciate tools, I don't go as far as worshipping them.  Some people I know do.  

@Horizon chaser 1957 The story of your birth was very moving.  That nurse your first night was your guardian angel.  

@superomaCelebrate!   Your news is wonderful and made the day!

Prayers for all who need them.  Let's hope some make it off the prayers list to the cheers list.  

Today's meal sounds good and according to the reviews, it is easy to make.  Substitute any smoked cheese.  

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/smoked-mozzarella-chicken-with-pasta/

Smoked-Mozzarella-Chicken-with-Pasta_exps170758_SD143205B01_24_6bC_RMS.jpg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 3

Good Thursday morning to all.

Thanks for the Daily Report.

I love popcorn and apples. I appreciate tools, but don't worship them.

Great quote.

The meal suggestion sounds good. 

I haven't been to Portugal but it's on my list of places I want to visit.  Looking forward to seeing pictures please.

Looking forward to reading about the wine and drink of the day.

Have a good day everyone.  Sending prayers for us all.

Stay safe.

• Like 20

Thanks for the Daily report, Rich and our morning smile 😄 

Great collection of days and what a great quote for today!

The meal suggestion for today sounds good and even a white wine as well to polish things off 🙂 

Some babies are going to have to be transplanted so I think I may start that chore today.  Their little peat pellets aren’t going to be adequate much longer.

Another port that we love to visit - Madeira!  Such a beautiful spot and so diverse with wonderful, welcoming people.  

The scenery is absolutely stunning.  Sadly my pictures won’t do it justice as we were up so high that the cloud cover affects the pics:

19B28403-91FD-4A14-B48F-F80579DB51D7.jpeg.75ee4d6f9164f075768dc08d22bf1ca6.jpeg

2FC99935-34C6-4E4E-AC45-1189DE1CEE47.jpeg.090b460b077733f61b3c0e44990c4256.jpeg

This is not water - it is clouds

72872E72-6E5E-4DB3-B58F-8F1618F58710.jpeg.595e6d744916a2f3b48357e8ece3517d.jpeg

141B9835-F4AC-4B08-9468-13FF330153EC.jpeg.9a61870a4e75234f37eae85fc0046f18.jpeg

B5B3DAAC-52EE-417B-8767-45587C4ECE48.jpeg.715082680c601e7c2202231be36d8c41.jpeg

Madeira even has it’s own airport.  Very close to the ocean since that is one of the few flat places to accommodate planes.  It’s amazing to watch them come in over the water.

A2944C8E-98F2-463C-B14F-B00AE2572F0F.jpeg.0de9c4bf21b42178298eaa10d79cf1ba.jpeg

Madeira’s climate is so benevolent that plants and flowers from all over the world have successfully been grown here.  The flowers are amazing!

638F668C-946A-4677-BC85-0CFAF25759F1.jpeg.b280909e0780be1606370fd111d02bb4.jpeg

5A87E20C-C1E2-45B3-929A-8C9936255E0E.jpeg.1de1aeecd9ca0361646753c7206e05f4.jpeg

D5FECE0B-749B-459C-A33F-A1C26E84FFD9.jpeg.efdf1a0d8e25c373780498f37160b846.jpeg

Wild flowers - beautiful.

537BD1B4-D224-4FBB-9C72-9C30E1C99839.jpeg.8854bf3978779234085186c0614052f2.jpeg

If our cruise were to sail in November, we would be happily returning here.

Prayers for everyone on Roy’s Care list & for those that need them & a 🥂 to everyone on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Thursday everyone!!!  Stay safe and please don’t forget your masks 😷 

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Good morning and thanks for the update.

Foggy here this morning but it’s supposed to be sunny later.

Love Funchal, I could stay there. The flowers are beautiful.The view from the gardens is amazing.

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

• Like 18

Thanks for the reports.  Hope and comfort to those struggling,  thankful for those who are on the path to recovery and the people who helped.  A special shout out to the Vaccine scientists.

I am having a great week, first pea soup now popcorn and apples -yay!  Add peanut butter and I am fixed.  

• Like 16
  • Haha 1

Today's sunrise will be a sequence of 2 photos,  taken about 15 minutes apart.  It is from my 2017 5-ship plus Iguazu combination.  On March 11 the Crystal Serenity visited Ihla Grande, Brazil.  It started with some nice early morning color:

dawn0311.jpg

The sun actually emerged about 15 minutes later:

sunup0311.jpg

Roy

• Like 33

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Yay for Johnny Appleseed - love apples.  I also love popcorn - it makes a great snack.  Tools, well I have what I call my Barbie tools (a small tool kit - pink, of course - with all the necessities) that have certainly come in handy over the years when you don't want to run out to the garage for a hammer or screw driver.

What a great day for folks here yesterday - good news from doctors, people getting jabs, such good news.  On the other hand, we've also had sadness, learning of people passing, and others being diagnosed with dread diseases.  We really have become a community of caring people, though, with all the wonderful responses to both happy and sad occasions.  I am grateful to have become a part of it, and all that goes on here.

We've had the good fortune to be in Funchal twice - both on trans-Atlantic stops.  We love wandering the streets and shops, and especially going to the market to see the beautiful displays of fruits and vegetables.  The climate is such that there is lush vegetation and it's perhaps one of the prettiest ports we've visited.  We are looking forward to a return for the 3rd time in November this year when we are hopefully on the Volendam's TA.

Today's menu suggestion is right up my alley; it won't take long to thaw a couple of chicken breasts and make up some pesto to go with it.  We haven't had spaghetti for a few days, so I'm pretty sure that's what's going to be on our dinner table tonight.   And wine.

On another topic, today marks the 10th anniversary of the Tohoku earthquake and tsunami that claimed 15,000 lives in Japan.  Our DS and DDIL were living in Tokyo at the time; our DS was working 100 miles from the epicenter, and what should have normally taken him 2 hours to get home, took 19.  He estimated he walked about 25 miles, but the people along the way were so kind to him, offering food and water, as well as powering up his laptop and cell phone.  Fortunately his wife was able to get to their apartment safely, and their family and friends in the rest of Japan were scared, but unharmed.  A day that will remain with us forever.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra hugs for Roy.  Raising the wine glasses tonight to toast all on the celebration list.  Stay well, be safe, wash your hands and wear your mask(s).

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 30

Those were beautiful sunrise photos, Roy.  Thanks for posting them as well as the care and celebration lists.  Rich, thank you for starting the day off for us.  The meal of the day looks very good.  And the port of Funchal is one we have visited a few times.  Anyone who has done a transatlantic has probably stopped there or in the Azores.  I will have to wait until later to post any photos because I am leaving for my doctor appointment in about 10 minutes or less.  Just the yearly physical and blood work.  This visit will be in person though they did offer me a phone call instead.  Since I'm fully vaccinated I feel safe wearing masks at the doctor's office now.  So I will check in later to see all the pretty pictures of Funchal.  

• Like 21

Good morning.  I love popcorn...favoritte snack.  When i taught we celebrated Johnny Appleseed day by planting an apple tree seedling in the local grove.  Like Gerry, I have a pink "barbie" toolkit.  The quote is great and so true in today's times.  The meal looks fantastic, printed Debbie's recipe for another day.

Prayers and toasts for our lists.  Happy people are getting their appointsments for jabs.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Agro Dolce:

Ingredients

For white balsamic-orange syrup

Syrup Ingredients

Syrup Directions

1. Dissolve ingredients into the water
  2. Boil and simmer; reducing mixture to about ¼ cup
  3. Should be thick like syrup

==Cocktail Directions== 

1. Rim the glass: Dip the rim of a martini glass into lemon juice, then dip into sugar, shaking off excess
  2. Combine vodka and orange syrup into a cocktail shaker filled with ice
  3. Shake well
  4. Strain into the rimmed martini glass
  5. Garnish with the cippollini onion

Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 8.04.48 AM.png

Edited by summer slope
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Rich:

Thanks for the DAILY Fleet report, the morning smile.  I also like popcorn and apples.  God Bless all on Roy's prayer list and shout out list.  Re:  masks.  I wish I was living in Texas. Florida is also pretty good.  My best to all readers and posters on the DAILY.

• Like 13

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! I laughed out loud at “Worship of Tools Day”. I do appreciate my tools, but I will reserve “worship” for chocolate, wine and perhaps coffee. I will salute Mr. Appleseed the man who launched the importance of planting trees. Will munch on popcorn, but rarely. 

Roy, thank you for keeping our lists.Morning Dailyites & my Sisters. Joy, hope you & Allen had a peaceful night. Profound quote. Today’s drink sounds much more like something I would at least try. Debbie, that meal does sound good. And I could substitute zoodles, if I want to reduce the carbs. Today is another exquisite day in the neighborhood. I see a long walk in Bindi’s future. Not sure what I will be having for dinner. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating!

Stay well everyone. 

Today’s Chablis led me on a wild chase. First, it may not be available in the USA. Winesearcher.com says it isn’t, but this site is not always correct. I found average prices for other vintages at $29.00. And I found one consumer review that gave it four stars. This might be a good one to try, if you do find it for a decent price. Premier Cru is a step up from the average Chablis. I did find the following informative description....

CHABLIS 1ER CRU LABOURÉ ROI

The wines of Chablis are renowned far beyond french borders. The downside: The very name Chablis is spoofed on five continents, often to describe wines of low quality. Close to the vineyards of Champagne, Chablis appellation covers the eponymous village and the 19 municipalities and hamlets that surround it. Made of Chardonnay grown on Kimmeridgian limestone hillsides, the wines owe their character to the nature of the climate, cool and mainly continental - cold winters, warm summers. There are four appellations, Chablis Petit Chablis, Chablis, Chablis Premier Cru and at the top, Chablis Grand Cru. In total, the vineyards of Chablis cover 4845 hectares, what means 17.5% of the total area of the Burgundian vineyard. Often of a pale color with hints of green, the wines of Chablis offer a nice freshness in their youth. After a few years of cellar, they become round and develop a large aromatic panel consisting mainly of fresh fruits, white flowers and dried fruit. The mineral aromas, of flint in particular, are also one of their main characteristics. 

• Like 25

9 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Good morning.  I love popcorn...favoritte snack.  When i taught we celebrated Johnny Appleseed day by planting an apple tree seedling in the local grove.  Like Gerry, I have a pink "barbie" toolkit.  The quote is great and so true in today's times.  The meal looks fantastic, printed Debbie's recipe for another day.

Prayers and toasts for our lists.  Happy people are getting their appointsments for jabs.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Agro Dolce:

Ingredients

For white balsamic-orange syrup

Syrup Ingredients

Syrup Directions

1. Dissolve ingredients into the water
  2. Boil and simmer; reducing mixture to about ¼ cup
  3. Should be thick like syrup

==Cocktail Directions== 

1. Rim the glass: Dip the rim of a martini glass into lemon juice, then dip into sugar, shaking off excess
  2. Combine vodka and orange syrup into a cocktail shaker filled with ice
  3. Shake well
  4. Strain into the rimmed martini glass
  5. Garnish with the cippollini onion

Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 8.04.48 AM.png

Wow. Too much sugar and too sweet.

• Like 4

The best of morning's to my fellow Daily-ites. Thank you Rich and to all who share contributions. 

When I moved into my 1st apartment,  my dad gifted me with a toolbox. I was always pretty handy with helping friends and neighbors with my skills (lol) As I grew older, I bought more tools. Our last place in Coeur d'alene was a 55 plus community. I would get calls all the time, especially to replace dripper heads or add one.  I was nick named the "Black and Decker woman" 

Allen is doing great this morning. Had a bit of a headache last night. Has his staples removed on the 22nd. Truth be told, I was a bit queasy during his procedure since I was in the surgery center with him. It's hard not to watch.

@DeeniEncinitas I'm proud of you for giving hours and hours of vaccinations. Hoping after today you'll have a very fun and relaxing weekend. Ann thanks also for asking after Allen. Hoping there's no "what's next"! Love you girls.

Prayers and Cheers

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone. I love apples, especially baked ones which I like to make when it’s cold out. Popcorn, too, although I like it without too much salt.

Cant say I’m a lover of tools since I rarely use them, but DH does and he’s very handy. He worked in a hardware store when he was in high school and college.

Having my hair cut in the garage today. I can’t believe it’s down to my shoulders. Last cut was in October. This afternoon we’re meeting some friends from our community in one of the many gazebos we have around the place. We haven’t done that since the fall. A few days ago, some friends rang the bell while they were out for a walk and we were able to chat for a while. Finally it’s warm enough to see other people. Yea !

I was so happy to get the news yesterday that the Mohs surgeon will close up with no stitches and let it heal naturally. That was a relief and one less doctor to go to since I thought she would send me to a plastic surgeon. This will be the third mohs on my poor nose.

Stay safe everyone and continue to wear your masks.

Carol

• Like 25

Good morning all!

Weather here can’t make up it’s mind between clouds and sun, but I hear we are in for 2-4 inches of rain later today.

I am married to a worshipper of tools. Therefore we must spend a lot of time in the tool sanctuaries (Harbor Freight, Northern Tools, Lowes, etc). 

Johnny Appleseed Day and now I have the Johnny Appleseed grace song from Brownies stuck in my head! “Oh, the Lord’s been good to me and so I thank the Lord.”  So true. 

Another port unvisited, but grateful to those of you with pictures to share.

Take care today, stay safe and healthy.

St Louis Sal

• Like 23