The Daily for Friday Mar 12, 2021

richwmn

Good Afternoon ,

And I just missed the “morning” part. 

We have a lovely day with blue skies and puffy clouds here. The trails behind us are fairly “goo free” so after cleaning up the house I’m planning on indulging in a ride. I might even head into the State Park. 

Tomorrow is looking like a good day to drop off my sewing machine and gawk at Zuiderdam, if I can locate her. And as it would be, the dealer should be done with my machine Wednesday, in time to do the same with NA. 

One year ago today Disneyland closed down- for the remainder of the “month.” We all know how that went. I think that was the first time many of us in our department realized how big Covid was getting. We were fairly used to smaller outbreaks, but nothing  near this magnitude. We became aware of Disneyland’s closing early in the morning as a coworker’s daughter worked there and got an email. That was several hours before the press release.

With all the pictures of Edinburg, it’s definitely on my todo list.

• Like 19

I'm been to Edinburgh 3 times, twice on cruises.  Both cruises (Crystal Symphony 2006 and Prinsendam 2011) docked in Rosyth.  On the Symphony I did a wilderness trail hike, sadly on the Prinsendam I disembarked there 2 days early to connect with QM2 home.  I saw the most of Edinburgh on my 2003 round the world trip and one of the highlights was a visit to the Royal Yacht Britannia.  wrld1120.thumb.jpg.c31c6df21cb9eaa2c81156c00bd66e82.jpg

wrld1130.thumb.jpg.76b5cdff843198af3e9c5206ff8447c4.jpg

wrld1140.thumb.jpg.11fe45bbc7f36de13bde275a918f4168.jpg

Roy

• Like 26

Good afternoon everyone!  Thank you for the Daily Rich!  Almost 1 year old!  Thank you for keeping the lists Roy and to everyone who contributes to this wonderful Daily.

Like others I was a Brownie but never a Girl Scout.  I'm not really sure why but I was terribly shy and probably begged my mother to stop going.  I have a few flowers but nothing to plant today.  I think preschoolers are the cutest ever and fondly remember my own preschool, it was an all day church run preschool, probably a precursor to what daycare is now since my mother worked.  I have never claimed to be a chef but love to cook so probably good I don't know any swearwords in French.

The meal suggestion isn't on our menu tonight and not sure it would be something I would make, Roy's looks good, but I think we will have fish or something light because we splurged and had McDonald's for lunch with the DGD.

We've not been to today's port, loving all the pictures and narrative though.

Happy Birthday to all those celebrating!  Mrs. @VMax1700 (BTW, the tea looked amazing!), @Quartzsite Cruiser, Mrs. @Overhead Fred(enjoy your steak!), @Copper10-8, @lindalerDGD!!  If I missed anyone I'm sorry!  March 12th is a big day for birthday's!

All good tips about posting pictures and inserting narrative between them.  I find it easier on my IPhone than on my IPad for some reason.  Another tip is that there is a plus sign and a trash sign on the loaded photos, use the plus sign to add it to your post adding narrative along the way making sure you have added spaces after the photo so you can add narrative (I think both @richwmnand @Quartzsite Cruisermentioned adding spaces) and the trash sign is useful if you accidentally choose the wrong photo from your phone.  On my desktop it's fairly easy but I use the drag and drop method.  I post using the various ways depending on where my photo's are stored.  When I posted the old Noordam photos I scanned them from old photographs onto the desktop and then drag and dropped. 

Have a great day everyone!

Edited by Sharon in AZ
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, USN59-79 said:

I have never heard of anyone eating a slug.  I have heard of people killing them with salt, though.  What I have learned is that slugs can harbor a parasite that is deadly and can eat poisonous mushrooms.

As @Cruising-alongsaid, we were both (she and I) just joking about eating slugs.  However, I think that I'm going to scan a couple of choice recipes from my copy of The Best Washington Slug Recipes (yeah, that's a real book) and post them so that folks can see that we here in the PacNW really do take our slugs seriously 😄 .

• Like 11
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Av8rix said:

As @Cruising-alongsaid, we were both (she and I) just joking about eating slugs.  However, I think that I'm going to scan a couple of choice recipes from my copy of The Best Washington Slug Recipes (yeah, that's a real book) and post them so that folks can see that we here in the PacNW really do take our slugs seriously 😄 .

And we have serious slugs!!

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Rowsby said:

Then try to remember the "safe place"....without having to write it on your arm with a sharpie...:)

My DW and I both put our vaccine cards in our passports. If we forget where our passports are stored we aren't going on any cruises.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, richwmn said:

When you add pictures via the "choose files" option they will show up as icons below your post.

You can then click on the picture and it will be placed where the cursor is, and the cursor will move to be after the image. Press enter to get to a new line and type your caption. Then press enter again to place the next image on a new line.

You explained it better and more succinctly than I did.

Lenda

• Like 6

40 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

On my desktop it's fairly easy but I use the drag and drop method.  I post using the various ways depending on where my photo's are stored.  When I posted the old Noordam photos I scanned them from old photographs onto the desktop and then drag and dropped. 

Now, that’s interesting.  I find it far easier to do photos on my Ipad.

Guess it all depends on what we get used to 😉 

• Like 8

The funeral was at 10:30 and the graveside ceremony at 1.  In between I took the opportunity to get a haircut.  It was WAY overdue.  I had gotten nearly scalped with a haircut in Sydney March 3 when I told the barber I would be at sea for 50 days.  The hair grew slowly after that and when I finally got a haircut 178 days later on August 28 it was long but not all that bad.  Well, it's been 195 days now and I think the hair grew faster.  It was really getting not just long but bothersome.  I would have gone in sooner but then the numbers started growing and I waited until I was vaccinated.  It was so bad I ended tipping close to 100%.

Roy

• Like 20
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Av8rix said:

Well, I live in the Seattle metro area so I have a better solution.  Down here we have a fine slug cookbook with wonderful recipes like Slugs Rockefeller and Slugs in Blankets, etc 😉😉.

Ewww. Just ewwww.🤢

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

The funeral was at 10:30 and the graveside ceremony at 1.  In between I took the opportunity to get a haircut.  It was WAY overdue.  I had gotten nearly scalped with a haircut in Sydney March 3 when I told the barber I would be at sea for 50 days.  The hair grew slowly after that and when I finally got a haircut 178 days later on August 28 it was long but not all that bad.  Well, it's been 195 days now and I think the hair grew faster.  It was really getting not just long but bothersome.  I would have gone in sooner but then the numbers started growing and I waited until I was vaccinated.  It was so bad I ended tipping close to 100%.

Roy

It  must  have  been  a  difficult  day  for  you. I  was  thinking  about  you  all day. I  am  glad you  got  a  hair  cut and  took  care  of  yourself.

DH went  yesterday  and  changed  his  look from a  "moderate  Einstein" to  suave husband. He  also  tipped more  than  usual.        Terry

• Like 11

1 hour ago, TiogaCruiser said:

One year ago today Disneyland closed down

This made it seem real to me too 😞  DDIL is an Imagineer for Disney and has thankfully kept her job and worked from home all this time.  I hear they will be reopening next month (with restrictions and extremely low numbers of course).

• Like 9

First and foremost, Happy Birthday to all those celebrating!  Hope the next year brings new adventures for everyone! 

I was a Girl Scout briefly.  Only thing I remember is that the cookies were $.50/box.  Compare that to now, and everyone will know it was a long time ago!  Like late 40's/early 50's.

Have been on one call so far today for one county preparing for "snowpocalyse".  If the amounts are close to what is forecasted, it will be a massive storm.  There was someone on the call from the National Weather Service who explained how it is setting up!

A "brooding" wine at $65 is a big risk in my book.  Think I will stick to some of my regulars.

I am so enjoying all the the beautiful Scottish pictures today.  Thanks to everyone for sharing, and sharing your wonderful memories.  I am also enjoying the hummingbird pictures.  How are the eaglets doing?

Have a great rest of the day, everyone

• Like 15

35 minutes ago, Av8rix said:

I assumed you must be joking and was about to expound on that when I got a call from my DW that she just had a flat tire on her car in Bremerton and needed help immediately.  When I got there the owner of a Korean store where she parked was helping her change it.  Luckily her Lexus comes with a full size spare; my Prius came without any kind of spare.  I finished the job and we will take care of replacing it tomorrow.  

I have an eye appointment this afternoon to have shot into my left eye.  I have been doing this every 4 weeks for a year.  Not sure if it is a cure, but apparently keeps it from getting worse.  It will be painful for a few hours, but back to normal tomorrow.

I know from experience how dangerous it is for helicopters to lift a patient from a ship.  My first ship was a seaplane tender and we were off of Catalina Island when a ship's cook needed medical attention.  He was placed in a gurney and the helo landed on the aft end of the ship.  As it took off, with the gurney inside the helo, a rotor just touched part of the ship.  It disintegrated and the helo went into the water and promptly sunk, taking the cook down with it.  The pilot and corpsman were able to swim free as it was going down.  That happened 60 years ago, but I still remember it.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

OK, as promised, here's a recipe from The Best Washington Slug Recipes.  Just to show y'all that it's a real book.

779665720_SlugsinBlanket.thumb.jpg.dae8454b4f3bb73bfed5e97f03f851d6.jpg

And for all the oenophiles here, don't worry about pairing:

Pairing.thumb.jpg.4ba73a614207852176636d8f1010e8a6.jpg

'Nuff said, eh? <-- just did that for our Canadian fellow cruisers.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 10

46 minutes ago, HAL4NOW said:

My DW and I both put our vaccine cards in our passports. If we forget where our passports are stored we aren't going on any cruises.

That’s where I tucked mine. and our County Health folk also suggested we take a picture of the front & back of our cards for our phones. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, cat shepard said:

That’s where I tucked mine. and our County Health folk also suggested we take a picture of the front & back of our cards for our phones. 

Done and done.  The passports/vaccination cards are inside the fireproof safe, too, for extra protection.

• Like 8

16 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Slugs are just homeless escargot!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry  

I love escargots but I’m afraid I am not brave enough to try slugs.  I try to keep them away from my hostas as it is so we are not good friends and ours here do NOT look appetizing.

• Like 9

Just now, StLouisCruisers said:

Done and done.  The passports/vaccination cards are inside the fireproof safe, too, for extra protection.

I’ll remember the good tips for the vaccination cards (hope we get one) when we get ours - whenever that happens.

• Like 6