The Daily for Wednesday Apr 14, 2021

richwmn

Good morning everyone. Today is very special for us. We are meeting our lawyer outside his office to sign a new will. Our daughter and my brother are both lawyers also so we are nice to all of them. No lawyer jokes here.

Speaking of lawyers, I’ve been watching the George Floyd murder trial. Those lawyers are top rate.

Looks like a nice day here and I could certainly use some laughter.

Stay safe everyone.

Carol

Edited by mamaofami
  • Like 17

An early greeting here from me!  I have a virtual PT appointment for my knee.  This will be my second one.  I was impressed with the first.  Have some arthritis in my right knee and received a steroid shot a week ago.  Much better.  Going to follow all directions I get for keeping it in the best shape I can.  At least I can still get my daily walk in...may not be as long or far but still am moving along!!  DH had to take the grandkids to school...I will return the favor and pick them up.  Traffic from Portland over to Vancouver was awful yesterday.  Usually a 30 minute trip...yesterday was almost an hour and a half.  Teaching me patience!!  

Love Geirangfjord.  Pictures brought back great memories.  Thanks for sharing them.  We have enjoyed our cruises to Norway very much.  Would certainly go back again.

Thanks for all the news this morning Rich and Roy.  Keep safe everyone.  Great to hear that more are getting either vaccines.  Prayers to all on the care list.  A toast to the happy list!

Looking forward to a 70 degree day here!!  

• Like 19

Good morning all!

I admit to chuckling 🤭 over be kind to lawyers, but my lawyer is a very competent and friendly woman so I rescind my chuckle. No ex-spouses for us, just 50, almost 51 years together.

I am still tired today; my 2-3 hour screening for the drug trial lasted almost 4 hours. I had strength tests, breathing tests and an EKG. I gave 6 vials of blood and then they realized they needed a seventh and came back and stuck me again. And the paperwork was monumental, several trees were killed on my behalf. Two takeaways-the mice and monkeys that took this drug before me (this is a phase 1 trial) all did well AND if the drug company makes a fortune on it they will not be sharing the profits with me despite my help. Only disappointment was, they had told me earlier this trial would not include a placebo, but it does, so I have a 1 in 5 chance of not getting the drug. May 5 will be day one.

Gorgeous day today, everything is in bloom including my mini-lilac bush which smells heavenly. We are having our house sprayed for bugs today though, ants have been trying to take up residence. 

Love the wine, I need to look for that. 

Praying for all on the care list and raising a glass of cheer to all who are celebrating.

St Louis Sal

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, St. Louis Sal said:

Good morning all!

I admit to chuckling 🤭 over be kind to lawyers, but my lawyer is a very competent and friendly woman so I rescind my chuckle. No ex-spouses for us, just 50, almost 51 years together.

I am still tired today; my 2-3 hour screening for the drug trial lasted almost 4 hours. I had strength tests, breathing tests and an EKG. I gave 6 vials of blood and then they realized they needed a seventh and came back and stuck me again. And the paperwork was monumental, several trees were killed on my behalf. Two takeaways-the mice and monkeys that took this drug before me (this is a phase 1 trial) all did well AND if the drug company makes a fortune on it they will not be sharing the profits with me despite my help. Only disappointment was, they had told me earlier this trial would not include a placebo, but it does, so I have a 1 in 5 chance of not getting the drug. May 5 will be day one.

Gorgeous day today, everything is in bloom including my mini-lilac bush which smells heavenly. We are having our house sprayed for bugs today though, ants have been trying to take up residence. 

Praying for all on the care list and raising a glass of cheer to all who are celebrating.

St Louis Sal

I am  very  happy  for  you  and hope  you  are  able  to  benefit from  the  trial  drug.        Terry

• Like 12

Good morning all!

Another beautiful day here in the Pacific Northwest.  I'll take it!

When I was very young I worked for a large law firm in D.C.  Some of them deserved kindness and others....'nuff said.   😉  

No ex-spouses here, and I agree with @ger_77that the secret to a happy marriage is laughter (and I would add a large dose of patience, don't forget patience lol)

The wine sounds good.  I went through a period when I loved heavy oak but now I just like a hint of it.  I like the "oak tucked away" phrase!

Parmesan Chicken sounds very good, but no artichokes for me please.  

@dfishDebbie sorry to hear about the broken tooth!

@cat shepardcongrats on the clean check-up!!

We were in Geiranger in Sept. 2019 on the Nieuw Statendam, the beginning of our long 50th anniversary cruise.  As others have said, it's stunningly beautiful.  We went up Mt. Dalsnibba, here are a few photos.

The town

Geiranger.jpg.4f5101e06993cca90028c944f53e0e1c.jpg

On Eagle Road going up Mt. Dalsnibba

1472443001_OnEagleRoad.jpg.f784c31126efdb6059393891b7074b89.jpg

One of the 11 hairpin turns

1528056003_oneofthehairpinturns.jpg.4dbc525f6c037e3fefe4bccafe47e2b3.jpg

Obligatory photo of the ship (Nieuw Statendam)

1894874060_NieuwStatendamMt.Dalsnibba.thumb.jpg.3ce794e14b838836b4e58438f27dc40c.jpg

1533514936_ViewMt.Dolsnibba.jpg.ff1e4741bfddd506fa234a3561d833b7.jpg

290558192_lakeandglacier.jpg.867fa8d5f4501c3f57c1659773b1497b.jpg

800268220_Partof7sisterswaterfall.thumb.jpg.23c551f572a6733c1f2634a446cf49aa.jpg

• Like 26

Good morning, all! Like Smitty34877, I would not have my DD’s without my ex spouse, so there is indeed a silver lining. My ‘real’ spouse and I have an excellent lawyer who helps us with wills, transfers, probates, etc. I will toast him with a beverage later. Laughter is the big one. Readers Digest used to have a feature called ‘Laughter is the Best Medicine’. I still believe that holds true. Tonight’s menu here is wings and Caesar salad. I’m enjoying the pictures of the fjord, which I have never been to.

My big news today: I HAVE AN APPOINTMENT FOR THE JAB!!!🎉💃🏻🎉💃🏻🎉

Its next Thursday, the 22nd. I can’t wait! (But I have to😉)

DH, on the other hand, has a dental appointment for a sore tooth, like Debbie does. My sympathies to you both. I like my appointment better.

And so, Happy Wednesday, everyone. Every jab is one step,closer to boarding a BHB again!

B0483B22-3585-4C1E-9DD8-D75159C4C691.thumb.jpeg.998f99cd0571e5649443f2c4994329cf.jpeg

• Like 24

4 hours ago, richwmn said:

Today is International Be Kind to Lawyers Day.......................................................

Lawyer birthday Jokes

121 Lawyer Jokes That Prove That Not All Of Them Are That Serious | Bored  Panda

Lawyer Puns (Page 4) - Line.17QQ.com

Legal stuff on Pinterest | Lawyer, Law School and Law Students | Legal  humor, Lawyer jokes, Lawyer humor

I love legal puns | Law puns, Legal humor, Law school humor

The Lawyer Fairy" - New Yorker Cartoon' Premium Giclee Print - Danny  Shanahan | AllPosters.com

Lawyer Jokes – Whatever Makes It Work!

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 15
  • Haha 12

10 minutes ago, St. Louis Sal said:

Good morning all!

St Louis Sal

I'm pleased that you were accepted (and that you knew immediately) and hope you get the real thing and it helps.  I also hope that if you get the placebo and the drug is shown to work you will be switched promptly to the real thing.

Roy

• Like 18

Good morning.  The infamous "they" who predict the weather are calling for clouds, high of 70F and wind.  Right now, it is mostly sunny and windy with the temperature in the 60s.  Yesterday, it was supposed to get to the low 70s, and I saw 80F on the thermometer.  That's why the are the infamous they.  🌡️ 😀

An interesting combination of days.  There are no lawyers in the family, but when we lived in The Woodlands, we were kind to our lawyer neighbor.  No ex spouse here, but the same spouse for 53 1/2 years.  The Daily provides a lot of laughter, which is a very good thing.  I have heard the first part of the quote for years, but not the second part.  Again the Daily to the rescue this past year for the variety that spices our lives.  Thank you Rich for creating this great place to go each day.  And thank you to @rafinmd, @dfish,@summer slope, and @cat shepard for their contributions with the lists, drinks, wine and recipes.  And a big thank you to everyone else who contributes daily or occasionally.

@Cruzin Terri Congratulations on the tax refund.

@St. Louis Sal  Glad you were accepted for the trial, and it is true there won't be a placebo.  I agree with @rafinmd Roy about the placebo and being switched if the drug is successful.

@dfish Debbie hope the tooth is easily fixed without too much pain.

@Horizon chaser 1957  Congratulations on your appointment.  Hope your DH's appointment isn't too traumatic.

Have enjoyed all the pictures of Geiranger and the fjord.  We have been there once in 2005;,  I'll add some of my pictures,  some of which will be a repeat.  We did a tour from the Marco Polo, which dropped us off in Hellsylt and picked us up in Geiranger.

On the journey between ports, we stopped at Dalsnibba.

IMG_5582.thumb.JPG.3e63d9f2bbafdf0ddff4f14493671f2a.JPG

IMG_5581.thumb.JPG.2bef8036d9bd394ab4132de61a9ceae7.JPG

I had to include a couple of shots from the overlook.  At anchor with the Marco Polo was the Saga Rose.  Unfortunately, both ships have come to the end of their sailing days.  The Saga Rose, which holds the record for the most world cruises at 44, met her end in Jiangyin, China, in 2010.  The Marco Pole is at the breakers in Alang, India.

IMG_5589.thumb.JPG.bf09d196cb78212fc534473d47aa8b2c.JPG

IMG_5591.thumb.JPG.91dd2596f0c207f9ebe0a6c35d403be3.JPG

These next two show a little of the town and the joys of tendering.

IMG_5599.thumb.JPG.37c8d2ad514fcb670f02e748fd006a24.JPG

IMG_5600.thumb.JPG.6a48d4808bf5e9d57d24b99a489895d7.JPG

A couple of pictures as we sailed out of Geirangerfjort.

IMG_5602.thumb.JPG.0c5309793753c84bb6400e7e469fd6ae.JPG

IMG_5606.thumb.JPG.3f9a3aa97ea9e3df53288fcffb13f045.JPG

Finally, the Seven Sisters from different angles as we sailed past.

IMG_5607.thumb.JPG.a8c3aab0738528f044a425a591f94abc.JPG

IMG_5609.thumb.JPG.56a17be754f4d2312c4d08c14742409c.JPG

IMG_5612.thumb.JPG.141e6866b1347e1bc2f11a2ab766776b.JPG

Stay safe, get those jabs 💉 asap, sanitize, wash your hands, and wear your masks, 😷 so we can all visit daily until we can visit on a BHB.

Lenda 

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 32

A look at two former blue hulled beauties (well, "beauty" as far as the former Veendam prior to her rear end appendage, is in the eye of the beholder 😉 ); Maasdam (now Aegean Myth) and Veendam (now Aegean Majesty) in cold Covid-19 layup in Aegios, Greece

HAL MADM (now Aegean Myth) & Veendam (Aegean Majesty) in cold layup in Aegios, Greece Mar 2021.jpg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 6

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

While going through Geirangerfjord on our way out we stopped to see the Seven Sisters waterfall and the Suitor waterfall.  They are almost directly across the fjord from each other.  This is the Suitor who was allegedly rejected by the Seven Sisters.   Looks like he took to the bottle, doesn't it?enhance

I can understand his depression by the time he was rejected by the seventh consecutive sister!

Thank you for the beautiful pictures!

• Like 11

@Horizon chaser 1957 - so glad you've finally snagged an appointment!

@St. Louis Sal - will keep my fingers crossed that you get the real thing, not the placebo.

@Overhead Fred - I had to look up "Carpano Formula Antica" only to discover it's a sweet vermouth.  DH and I have been wanting to try  Hendricks Gin because it's infused with cucumber and roses, but haven't found it locally. 

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry 

• Like 13

Good morning everyone!  Thank you for the Daily Rich and thank you for your lists Roy. 

I couldn’t find my Venice pictures last night to see if I had an Aperol Spritz picture but I really enjoyed all the ones posted!  It brought back lovely memories. 

No ex spouse here. I will celebrate Be Kind to Lawyers Day. And we all need more laughter. 

I ended up making pistachio crusted salmon with Beurre Blanc sauce last night and Craig made his famous mashed potatoes. They really aren’t famous, I just like to call them that because they really are wonderful.  Not sure what tonight’s meal will be, I just know it won’t be chicken. 

The pictures of today’s port are beautiful!  Someday I’ll have to look at a Norway cruise. 

Have a great day everyone!

Edited by Sharon in AZ
  • Like 18

Today in 2018, we were in Gibraltar. This was a port I was really looking forward to and it did not disappoint! I took a tour that drove all over the island, up the cable car, and into the Siege Tunnels. I definitely want to go back - 

DSC_0286.thumb.JPG.8dfd1a5ffe57b4d8a08441a33375855e.JPG

796969025_DSC_0317(2).thumb.JPG.71e6260be9afb75c9d2efb3c3fc0502b.JPGDSC_0344.thumb.JPG.dacaff8d260301bf49c6b07468c93c3a.JPGDSC_0336.thumb.JPG.cbc4178dea965a3798d9e23fcc3f6818.JPG

• Like 23

Good morning, all, and thank you for thinking of me, but Roy, @rafinmd, you can take me off the care list.  I can't even feel the spot where the doctor took a bit of me, and I will return in a week to have the 2 stitches out.  Then, of course, a wait for biopsy results, but he said again he thinks it is benign.  

@St. Louis Sal, I do wish all the best for you in the drug trial.

We have been to Geirangerfiord, the fiord itself was spectacular, and we loved the town - especially the sod roofs and the trolls!  It was a wonderful cruise, on Maasdam, we had our DD withy us, in a Neptune suite.

P1020512.thumb.JPG.fc5fbaac12427f6cb1cad2462f46f1c9.JPGP1040638.thumb.JPG.961b5a0646a6b47411230eaadc74aec0.JPGP1040642.thumb.JPG.a645f3d5599c0b3c404c8ca16d8f8894.JPGP1020486.thumb.JPG.1b3a333de7eea8dda1ec5eaf5acdfcc7.JPGP1020503.thumb.JPG.60606435a918966ee78b351644a2e062.JPGP1040605.thumb.JPG.3f3f9cdd4bcd6d22d9c7fedb7faf9647.JPG

P1020783.JPG

Edited by Vict0riann
  • Like 28

Today April 14th takes me back to a very nice day on the Prinsendam in 2019 to a nice special event . 

The manager of the Lido and the Canaletto on that cruise was Rifki whom we had met previously on a couple of other cruises and we had a special bond with . His right hand server in the Canaletto , Metha had told me that it was Rifki’s birthday on the 14th so DW and I went to the dining room and I asked them there for a Birthday cake , they said why is that so I mentioned that upstairs in the Canaletto it was our friend Rifki”s birthday today and we would like to surprise him .

With birthday cake in hand we went upstairs saw Rifki and started singing Happy Birthday in English and also in Dutch ( which as I mentioned before sounds like the Indonesian BD song ) to a very surprised Rifki :

DSCN8607.thumb.JPG.902b4f82dccef6b50d0524d5aee6e37f.JPG

DSCN8609.thumb.JPG.0de99897f7170dec3375a1527e5157c4.JPG

DSCN8610.thumb.JPG.d057cf4f661e1fb7246f80516906d592.JPG

After four of us had dinner in the Canaletto  Rifki  came to us and said Tony I have to show you this on my phone and he showed me a Video of his young son , about 6 , 7 or 8  in Indonesia , who had decorated the  whole living room of his home with streamers and signs for his daddy  who was at work at sea and also sang for his daddy ………. Rifki had tears in his eyes  so I will never forget this special day April 14th ……….

Thinking of you today Rifki , Happy Birthday , and all of the crew of the Blue Hulled Beauties who spend 6 , 8 or 10 month at sea away from their families .

We often think of all of these wonderful people that we have met on our cruises working hard on all of the ships who have made our cruising so very special and with the Covid going around also can’t wait to come back .

Roy @rafinmd do you please a a place for them on the care list ?
Edited by sailingdutchy
  • Like 25