Foods you miss on Celebrity

El Crucero

2 hours ago, bluecruisin said:

Not a particular food, but a venure. I miss Muranos. My favorite ship dining venue of many cruise lines. We have never had a poor meal there!

Miss Murano as well. Miss the cream base onion soup in the Tuscan Grille. Wonder what will be missing as cost cutting becomes necessary for Celebrity?

1 hour ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

A few times now I've tried to replicate the burrata tomato salad with the pistachio pesto they serve in Tuscan. I'm a decent cook but my attempts so far have definitely not been successful. 

But one day you wake up and you figure it out.    I miss the daily shrimp cocktail on Celebrity and on Hal too.  In fact,  I have probably eaten my body weight in shrimp cocktails over the years!.

So much that,  I had to figure out (replicate) the shrimp cocktail solution.   I've found that the pre-cooked tail-on 25-40 ct. bag that you can get at the big box place combined with a specific brand of crosse and blackwell type cocktail sauce gets you pretty close to the real thing.   If you can garnish your shrimp with a lemon slice on a tray of ice.    If you prefer to be clever enough to create your own original cocktail sauce then you've got it.   

1 hour ago, Orator said:

Miss Murano as well. Miss the cream base onion soup in the Tuscan Grille. Wonder what will be missing as cost cutting becomes necessary for Celebrity?

My guess is that we'll see less bread in the MDR and in the buffet until hungry cruisers ask for more as a cost cutting measure.

BTW.....

If I could be Cruise King Master Chef for the Day,   my personal decree would be for ALL cruiselines to begin importing NYC water to bake  their breads and pastries.    I've heard that is why all of the breads baked in the Tri-State area taste so good.   Maybe it is an urban myth but I know what I've tasted in places like Soho and the delis everywhere around NY and CT and NJ and there is something in the water there.   That is why a grinder tastes so good,  IMHO

Edited by JRG
  • Like 1

- Peanut butter ice cream

- creme brûlée 

- cappuccino and almond croissant in the cabin first thing in the morning (DH goes down to Cafe al Bacio and brings it back 

- Zacapa under the clouds in the World Bar

- anything in Murano

- Elite breakfast in Tuscan. Love sitting by the windows enjoying the wake

The Spa cafe served some very nice breakfast (energy?) bars, mixes of muesli, nuts, fruits, etc. At least three different flavours.

Several days I had a proper breakfast in the buffet and additionally had one or two of these bars from the Spa.

4 hours ago, JRG said:

But one day you wake up and you figure it out.    I miss the daily shrimp cocktail on Celebrity and on Hal too.  In fact,  I have probably eaten my body weight in shrimp cocktails over the years!.

So much that,  I had to figure out (replicate) the shrimp cocktail solution.   I've found that the pre-cooked tail-on 25-40 ct. bag that you can get at the big box place combined with a specific brand of crosse and blackwell type cocktail sauce gets you pretty close to the real thing.   If you can garnish your shrimp with a lemon slice on a tray of ice.    If you prefer to be clever enough to create your own original cocktail sauce then you've got it.   

I think this sauce comes pretty close.  I have been making it for 40 years.

For the Cocktail Sauce
  • 3/4 c. chili sauce (Heinz)
  • 2 tbsp. lemon juice
  • 1 tbsp. horseradish (prepared)
  • 2 teaspoons Worcestershire
  • 1/2 teaspoon onion (finely chopped)
  • hot pepper sauce (a few dashes)

I hope this isn't considered off topic.  I just thought someone who has eaten their body weight in shrimp cocktails over the years should try it.  i love them too as well as crab cocktails but we don't often see them on Celebrity.  The Crab Martini in Blu has sometimes been good but one time it wasn't.

• Like 2

Love this post! Thanks for asking about this!

For me, there are SO MANY things that I miss!

1) Chateaubriand in Murano

2) Filet mignon in the Lawn Club Grill

3) Escargot in the MDR

4) Fresh omelet's made to order in the Ocean View Grill (just tastes better on board!)

5) Mimosa every morning for breakfast

6) The best latte's in al Bacio

7) Cheese course in Murano

These are the only ones that immediately come to mind..... A real first world problem! 😂

21 hours ago, JRG said:

Maybe it is an urban myth but I know what I've tasted in places like Soho and the delis everywhere around NY and CT and NJ and there is something in the water there.   

I assume you have not been to a boulangerie ( bakery ) or a bagel shop in Montreal ?

" Without Prejudice " what they call a bagel in the US is a Bun -- no comparison.

If you have time , watch the Montreal segment on Somebody Feed Phil on Netflix.

As for Foods we miss on Celebrity---- Too many to mention-- All very good as is the service.

• Like 1

There are so many foods that I miss but here are a few...

1) The bread in the MDR with the all the different butter/spreads.

2) Cafe Al Bacio pastries... I love the walk there from my room in the morning anticipating what the selection will be that day.

3) Grand Marnier Souffle in Murano.

4) Prime rib in the MDR.

5) Butter Chicken in the Oceanview - Usually they only have it once/cruise.  I'll walk through the Oceanview every lunch and dinner to check out the Indian selections hoping they'll have Butter Chicken.  Even if I've just finished dinner in the MDR I'll make sure I get a plate of it.

6) Strawberry ice cream w/ sour patch kids mixed in - I'm 41... but you'd never know it from my ice cream choices!

7) French Onion Soup - it's good everywhere on Celebrity but in 2019 I was on Edge and had it in Le Grand Bistro as part of a "Le Petit Chef" show.  I can't fully explain how good it was! 

A story to go along with this... on the last day before we had to get off the ship my wife went to Le Grand Bistro and asked one of the servers if we could just come in and have the soup.  They welcomed us in and gave us each a bowl!  AND THEN... the sommelier that we had had from Le Petit Chef walked by and recognized us so she stopped and talked for a bit.  Then she left and went into the kitchen area and brought back my wife's favorite wine from that night.  It was a PERFECT illustration of everything good about the service on Celebrity!

I MISS CRUISING SO MUCH!!!!

IMG_4807.jpeg

IMG_4812.jpeg

• Like 3

Lamb stew over a scoop of those yummy mash potatoes. YUMMY!!!

My last cruise me and a fellow Millennium cruiser went back for like 2 more helpings. We would meet each other back there and just smile and laugh.  That was some good eating on that Alaskan cruise. OMG I'm salivating just thinking about it. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sailaway1706 said:

And in the „good old days“ (before Lisa) Celebrity had table prepared meusli at the Blu 

Elimination of table prepared Meusli had nothing to do with Lisa.  It was the result of enforcement of U.S. health codes.  And I miss that too.

8 hours ago, Sailaway1706 said:

Well, I miss the Murano. And in the „good old days“ (before Lisa) Celebrity had table prepared meusli at the Blu and on one sea day a wonderful brunch at the MDR. All gone. But the prices get higher every year🥴.

In Blu, it is nearly impossible to get a cart table side.  Two years ago, the cart was located in the walkway between  sections.  I walked up to the server, told him what I would like, and it was prepared in front of me.  However, last year, I placed an order at my table and it was prepared in the kitchen.  

On 4/17/2021 at 2:13 PM, El Crucero said:

But I would like to hear what food(s) you miss.

Right about now, if I knew we could all safely get back out there and cruise again I swear I'd be content with a daily regimen of yogurt, fruit and cereal for breakfast, a simple ham and cheese sandwich for lunch, and maybe a burger or hot dog for supper, with a bowl of chili or pasta mixed in there for variety. I'd gladly eat that simple meal plan just for the chance to get back out on the water, enjoy the sunrises and sunsets, walk the decks, sit out on the balcony and enjoy the breeze and the quiet, look forward to arriving at the various ports, enjoy evening shows, and so forth. Eating is secondary to all of that. 

Can't think of anything that I can say I miss other than maybe getting those continental breakfasts reserved for suite or elite guests, etc. (Wait..maybe that's RCCL?) Another thing would be the special treats that come to the room every afternoon with aqua class - also the iced tea in the room every day. We've only sailed with Celebrity 3 times so hard to say we have any 'favorites' of any specific foods. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

On 4/24/2021 at 10:54 AM, mufflogan said:

Cafe Al Bacio pastries.

Hmmmm....yep....now that I'm reading through some replies - I'll definitely second this one!!  

Now that also got me thinking about the gelato (especially if it's free - I think it's a perk for elite guests?  One free one or something?)  

Amazing what many of you can recall and/or remember. I truly can't come up with a single entree or appetizer at the moment. If it's good food, I like it. We generally don't do any specialty restaurants and the MDR is getting to be an old, tired scene as well. We really liked eating in Blu on the last X cruise. Didn't miss the MDR one bit. 

Edited by OnTheJourney