The Daily for Sunday Apr 18, 2021

richwmn

Good Sunday morning Dailyites. Thank you Rich for your dedication to the Daily. Roy and my sweet sisters.. you're in my prayers.

Yesterday we had our neighborhood Scavenger Hunt on golf carts. There were 8 teams of 4. They had 1 hour to take pictures of 25 items on the list and 2 teams made it. So they tied. To break the tie they had to take a picture of a water tower, or a porta potty with a team member on the seat. Then we had prizes (plants) drinks and goodies. The balance of the packaged food we took to the local fire dept. A fun afternoon!

Today is cool, doesn't look like rain is in the picture. Finishing a few chores and believe I'll sit and read for a bit.

Blessings,  Prayers, Cheers and Peace.

• Like 15

Yesterday was pretty nice - sunny and light jacket weather. We cleaned out another garden section and hauled leaves/pine needles to the yard waste site. And then grilled a Porterhouse steak. We might just repeat that procedure again today! Monday starts another cool spell....

Today in 2018 we were docked in Marseille. We didn't spend any time in the town but instead took an excursion to St. Remy. It was a beautiful town as was the surrounding area. There was a farmer's market and a craft fair going on. We bought a lovely runner for the dining table at our Canadian cottage.  We would certainly return to Provence!

864098060_DSC_0720(2).thumb.JPG.2278eaba73bb1511da253c58eb789de2.JPG

DSC_0700.thumb.JPG.67dda27c90933cfcea999578f0c3df4d.JPGDSC_0699.thumb.JPG.a1038622fb12109f751664dc0602415b.JPGDSC_0698.thumb.JPG.c1f158106e76111416304a7eb4bada28.JPG

DSC_0692.thumb.JPG.f3f87f56332009bdc242d55c1da90930.JPG

• Like 24

18 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Good Sunday morning Dailyites. Thank you Rich for your dedication to the Daily. Roy and my sweet sisters.. you're in my prayers.

Yesterday we had our neighborhood Scavenger Hunt on golf carts. There were 8 teams of 4. They had 1 hour to take pictures of 25 items on the list and 2 teams made it. So they tied. To break the tie they had to take a picture of a water tower, or a porta potty with a team member on the seat. Then we had prizes (plants) drinks and goodies. The balance of the packaged food we took to the local fire dept. A fun afternoon!

Today is cool, doesn't look like rain is in the picture. Finishing a few chores and believe I'll sit and read for a bit.

Blessings,  Prayers, Cheers and Peace.

Joy, that sounds like a fun time with the neighborhood!  Golf carts are pretty plentiful here but DH and I don't have one.  Neither of us golf, though you don't need to be a golfer just to own and utilize a golf cart! 🏌️‍♀️ 

DH went to a dirt race track last night with a neighbor to watch the races.  He said lucky for them the wind was blowing the dust away from them!  😁  He got home a couple of hours after his usual bedtime, and I stayed up until he got home, so we could both use either a nap today or an early bedtime tonight.

I forgot to mention earlier, we are going to try one of the menu suggestions from the Daily for our dinner tonight.  It's the baked spaghetti casserole with sausage in it.  It will make a lot of servings so we will be freezing a lot of it, I know for sure.  Hope we like it!

• Like 17

Good morning everyone. It’s sunny and going to be in the 60s today so it looks like a great day to be outdoors.

Seasick Sailor, , that scavenger hunt sounds like a lot of fun. Wish we could organize something like that here. Our condo board refuses to open our pool again this summer. They’re afraid of being sued if anyone gets covid which is ridiculous. They have tons of insurance anyway. We have an election coming up so hopefully we get a new board. Our club house has been closed since last March, so no indoor pool, or shows, etc. It’s been tough, but we’ve only had one covid case here so that’s good since NJ has an awful lot of cases and the variants.

Looking forward to maybe seeing one of my daughters today. 

Stay safe everyone.

Carol

• Like 18

Good morning, all! An interesting collection of days, although HAL’s 148 birthday stands. @richwmntwo years from now we will both be on the 2023 GWV on the Zaandam for HAL’s 150th! I checked the date, and we are overnight in Amsterdam that night. I’m sure that’s  no coincidence. There will probably be something extra special on shore for the Grand World guests that night. How exciting!

@rafinmd, thank you for putting the Queen on the care list. It was heartbreaking seeing her sitting alone and frail at the funeral of her husband of 73 years. How sad and ironic that she was so physically alone in her grief, yet the eyes of millions of people around the world were on her. She symbolized  the universal pandemic widow at that moment, shouldering unbearable loss without human touch or comfort. I think that will become one of the lasting images of the pandemic when this is all in the past. 
I have been to Alter Do Chow on the Princendam in 2017. We wandered around town, and the famous beaches, instead of taking an excursion. That was the first time I actually saw cashews growing. All these little fruits hanging over the sidewalks with the nut in its case hanging out the bottom. The shells contain a black acidic goo around the cashew, which is not edible without treatment to remove it. Roy, you must have been there in the wet season, when the river was high. We were there at the end of the dry season when the river was quite low. Now I understand why the little building by the tender dock was so insanely far from the shore. The depth of the Amazon can vary as much as 40 ft. during the year. We were there when the water was at its lowest, and Alter Do Chow was surrounded by the incredible sandy beaches that make it a prime tourist spot. I will,dig up some pictures later in the day - there are none on my iPad.

Happy Sunday to all, and Happy Birthday to our beloved BHB’s! (Our BBHB’s?🤔)

BB4064ED-AAE6-4757-BF8C-1916DE097175.thumb.jpeg.96598e133af1735023fd22ae3f0d1cae.jpeg

• Like 23

Good morning everyone,

Interesting list of days!  Great quote.  Thank you Rich, Roy and all who post.  

In 2018 we cruised the Amazon on the Prinsendam.  Wonderful ship for an awesome cruise.  Enjoyed all the ports.  So I can say I have been to today's port!!

Foggy here this morning as it is warm in the valley.  But should clear.  A few more home chores before we go back to Vancouver, WA to get ready to help with the grandkids school transportation again.  Keeps us on the road and out of trouble.

We watched the funeral of Prince Phillip last evening.  I also felt so sorry for the Queen.  Hopefully afterward the family was able to gather around her.  Prayers out to her and her family during this time.

Have a awesome day.  Stay well and safe.  

• Like 17

🌴🌺🌴🌺 ALOHA

I am up so early this am! I promised I would chime in!! To my dear Rich and Roy it is so wonderful having this great place to relax unwind and enjoy everyone’s adventures! I have to admit I have not been on CC for awhile and enjoying my days here and seeing friends and neighbors!! There is tourism but Whalers Village is bleak 

compared to how crowded it was prior to pandemic. Very responsible everyone with masks and social distancing.It is really strict and I am happy!

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

Joy and Ann!! Wish we had time together here. I am glad I have you guys!

Going to Costco today.

Were just on island time and I so needed this! I was almost tempted to help here with vaccines but I guess I am selfish just alittle and decided I wanted me time!

here are some more pictures of sunsets by our place and 🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴!!!

🌺My sister Joy and my favorite Bar! Love to all

Mahalo

Denise😊

image.jpeg.79f600827fa6a71f7077c1f48eb50790.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.e988385a395caa0c7f502a5a365e800a.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.c0c6ddb8fa48d57e73942ca0d86f8ec9.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.6d6918a5d0bd526f4bee089a2d42d958.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.04016bdf79877046aeb6697e40cea6f9.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.d16ea149dc0dc41ac3d03375416ef03c.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.fff27c5073f0453f2e2869c0adc563de.jpeg

• Like 29

4 hours ago, richwmn said:

How to Observe Pet Owners Independence Day

Your pet should be going to your job for you today, taking out the garbage, cooking the meals, and turning off the lights when you leave rooms. If you can get your pet to do all these things, you will be having unparalleled success in celebrating the holiday. More likely, you will have to celebrate the holiday by doing things with your pet. Do the things they commonly do. Lay in the sun, take lots of naps, cuddle, chew on things, play fetch, and run around the house for no reason at all. If you are switching roles with your dog, you could chase some cats, and if you are switching roles with your cat, you could get a workout by chasing birds. If you don't have a pet, you could still act like an animal anyway!

Don't hold your breath waiting for a pet to do these things.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

10 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

🌴🌺🌴🌺 ALOHA

I am up so early this am! I promised I would chime in!! To my dear Rich and Roy it is so wonderful having this great place to relax unwind and enjoy everyone’s adventures! I have to admit I have not been on CC for awhile and enjoying my days here and seeing friends and neighbors!! There is tourism but Whalers Village is bleak 

compared to how crowded it was prior to pandemic. Very responsible everyone with masks and social distancing.It is really strict and I am happy!

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

Joy and Ann!! Wish we had time together here. I am glad I have you guys!

Going to Costco today.

Were just on island time and I so needed this! I was almost tempted to help here with vaccines but I guess I am selfish just alittle and decided I wanted me time!

here are some more pictures of sunsets by our place and 🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴!!!

🌺My sister Joy and my favorite Bar! Love to all

Mahalo

Denise😊

image.jpeg.79f600827fa6a71f7077c1f48eb50790.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.e988385a395caa0c7f502a5a365e800a.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.c0c6ddb8fa48d57e73942ca0d86f8ec9.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.6d6918a5d0bd526f4bee089a2d42d958.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.04016bdf79877046aeb6697e40cea6f9.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.d16ea149dc0dc41ac3d03375416ef03c.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.fff27c5073f0453f2e2869c0adc563de.jpeg

Looks heavenly!  Enjoy your relaxation time in that beautiful place.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

One of the previous posters commented on the 148 Anniversary of the Holland America Line.

I was on the old Westerdam II on the 125th Anniversary.  The Captain said in the future HAL would build smaller and smaller.  After that HAL acquired the Princendam.  Everything else has been bigger and bigger.

• Like 5

@DeeniEncinitas Aloha Denise! I was waiting to post this til you came back.

Look closely at my hands:

It's a hummingbird! She whacked into the window and fell onto the ground. I picked her up so she wouldn't die alone. 😢

Well, I held her and stroked her when I felt her little feet hold my finger. Then she rested her beak on top of my finger and opened her eyes. Our cleaning lady took the picture. Pretty soon (10 minutes?) She flew up to our geraniums for another while. Then to the feeder and then flew to our oak tree. It was amazing! Last night at the Scavenger Hunt I was presented with a "hummingbird whisperer" mug!!

14759~2.jpeg

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Good morning. And it is a good morning since actually did get a bit of moisture yesterday afternoon. Rain, thunder, lightening, and snow, and hail!!! All in one very hard storm that lasted about 15 minutes and then was gone. Guess it was better than nothing, but we need a lot more. Preferably without the hail. It felt like opening scene from MacBeth.

Have not been to today's port. I did "do" the Amazon on the Princendam in 2015 but we did not stop there. Again, will have to go back but right now Brazil is not on my radar. Hopefully the time will come.

Off to continue clearing in my back bedroom which seems to be functioning as a storeroom. Humane Society Thrift store will be taking limited donations tomorrow and I need to be ready to go.

Susan

• Like 17

14 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

It's a hummingbird! She whacked into the window and fell onto the ground. I picked her up so she wouldn't die alone. 😢

Well, I held her and stroked her when I felt her little feet hold my finger. Then she rested her beak on top of my finger and opened her eyes. Our cleaning lady took the picture. Pretty soon (10 minutes?) She flew up to our geraniums for another while. Then to the feeder and then flew to our oak tree. It was amazing! Last night at the Scavenger Hunt I was presented with a "hummingbird whisperer" mug!!

14759~2.jpeg

Wow!  What a great story and pic!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

14759~2.jpeg

🌺🌺

My sister the HUMMINGBIRD WHISPERER 🌴 OMGOSH Joy so precious! I am so happy to see this! What are the chances of anyone being able to do this!!! Thank you for this wonderful picture! This made my morning.

Love the pictures too of our hang out. Best to you and Allen! 
🌺Mahalo

• Like 11

Posted this on Saturday.....lost mind today.  Let me know if you find it.

Good morning.  Late to the thread today.  No Juggler's or Newspaper Columnists here so we will celebrate Pet Owners day.

The meal sounds good, will look back to see Debbie's recipe.

Never been to Brazil.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.  Didn't hear about the landing at the air show.

Stay safe, social distance, and please wear your mask.

Dirty Snowman:

Ingredients/Shopping List
Chocolate syrup
Chocolate sprinkles
Vanilla ice cream (½ cup)
Kahlua
Dark creme de cacao liquor
Hot chocolate TIP: you want to use a nice quality hot chocolate – I use the hot cocoa recipe on Hershey’s cocoa powder container.
Whipped cream, mini chocolate chips, coarse sanding sugar, and/or additional chocolate syrup and chocolate sprinkles for garnish

How to Make a Dirty Snowman Adult Hot Chocolate
It’s super easy to make this delicious, chocolatey adult drink. You can even double or triple the ingredients listed above if you want to make more than one serving.
Place chocolate syrup on a small plate and dip the rim in the chocolate syrup and then into a shallow tray of chocolate sprinkles.
Place a scoop of ice cream into the glass.

Add Kahlua and creme de cacao to the glass.

Pour hot chocolate over the ice cream and liquor.

Top with any of your desired garnishes.
Serve immediately.

Screen Shot 2021-04-18 at 11.20.30 AM.png

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

Good days. I also heard on the news that it's Lineman appreciation day; we have lots of transformers blow here, so I do appreciate them getting the power back on.

Happy 148th birthday HAL!

I'll pass on the meal, but I like Roy's. Drinks sound good. 

I haven't been to today's port.

It was below freezing here this AM! I never plant much until Memorial Day. It was also very foggy, but now it's sunny and in the 50's. Getting laundry done today.

Prayers to the care list and cheers to the celebration list.

Everyone stay safe and wear your mask.

• Like 17

6 hours ago, richwmn said:

Wine of the day - La Jota Merlot Howell Mountain 2016

5 hours ago, cat shepard said:

This Napa Merlot has outstanding ratings, but is a bit outside of my budget. I found one online distributor who offered it for $75.98, but you might find it cheaper locally. The experts do disagree as to when one should enjoy it. 🤔

Winemaker Notes

#37 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2019

The 2016 La Jota Merlot encompasses all that is mountain Merlot with a structure to relish. Notes of espresso, dark chocolate, and toast follow ripe blackberry, minerality, and weight on the palate.

WS95 Wine Spectator: An elegant style, featuring lilting flavors of red currant and dried raspberry that show hints of cedar and paprika. Fine-edged, with savory richness midpalate. Dried green herbal notes emerge on the minerally finish. Drink now through 2026.

WE95 Wine Enthusiast: This tremendously impressive red wine is blended with small amounts of Petit Verdot and Tannat and given 20 months in French oak, a good majority of it new. Reductive at first, it expands to show root beer, cedar and dried herb in a classically structured and hugely concentrated frame of big tannin and weight. Enjoy 2026–2031. Cellar Selection

JS94 James Suckling: This is a layered and round-textured wine with dark berries, chocolate and terracotta. Full body. Juicy fruit. Flavorful finish. Drink after 2021.

La Jota is an absolutely top-line winery, and 2016 was an outstanding vintage year for Napa Valley.  There is no way you can go wrong with this wine.

I am a big fan of the CellarTracker website--mostly, because they have a terrific inventory system that I use.  They also have a pretty comprehensive database of worldwide wines.  The 2026-2031 drinking window that @cat shepardcites from Wine Enthusiast sounded pretty conservative to me--particularly for a domestic Merlot.  So, I thought I would see what CellarTracker had to say.  I know that CellarTracker allows members to enter their own drinking windows, and I assume that those member entries do have some influence on CellarTrackers recommendation, but I don't know to what extent.  Anyway, the drinking window recommended by CellarTracker for this wine is 2019-2031.  So, if anybody has been sitting on this wine, waiting for 2024, they should not feel bad about commiting infanticide if they open it up, tonight.

The town in which I live is pretty hilly.  So, I can get good exercise by just walking around.  Additionally, some of the hills are so steep that it is not economically feasible to build on them.  Happily, there are some pretty neat hiking trails in these undeveloped areas,  I usually get out to walk three or four times per week.  According to Mr. Apple, yesterday, I walked 14,880 steps, 4.9 miles and 63 floors.  It is a tad less than a mile through neighborhoods to the trailhead.  Yesterday, I was about halfway to the trailhead, when I heard this very weird sound.  At first I though is was some sort of device that a distant landscaper might be using--a grass mower or a leaf blower.  Then, I realized it might be bees.  I often hear bees swarming around flowering plants.  They like my neighbers date palms when they are flowering and they like flowering eucalyptus.  However, this was much louder than what I normally hear from that kind of behavior.

Well it was louder for a couple reasons.  They were darned close and they were a heck of a lot of them.  They were buzzing around the very tree that I was walking and it sure looked to me like they were trying to establish a new hive.

IMG_6983.thumb.jpg.84e6599e3644b08cebc0d81a0c50d909.jpg

Very cool.

OK, not as cool as holding a hummingbird in your hand.

• Like 23