The Daily for Monday Apr 19, 2021

richwmn

Today is National Garlic Day, National Hanging Out Day, and Patriot's Day

"Resolve to keep happy, and your joy and you shall form an invincible host against difficulties -- Helen Keller"

Meal suggestion for today - Cornish Hens with Potatoes

Drink of the Day - Milk and Cookies Shots

Wine of the day - Boom Boom Syrah - Washington - Red

Port of the Day - Enter Suez Canal at Suez

At Sea Pacific
Koningsdam Destination Long Beach eta 4/23
Nieuw Amsterdam Destination La Paz MX eta 4/21

Corfu GR
Volendam

La Paz MX
Noordam
Westerdam Anchorage
Zuiderdam Anchorage

Limassol CY
Zaandam

Stirrup Cay
Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

Torquay UK
Eurodam Anchorage
Oosterdam Anchorage

0418Europe.thumb.png.0cecd2e4da37bc0d19517d9714b8b35c.png

0418USA.thumb.png.d68b0374b8fe2000681b60a8d1df752d.png

• Like 34
  • Thanks 6

Thank you for the Monday Daily, Rich.  Patriots Day appears to be primarily a Massachusetts holiday;  do we have any Dailyites there?  I'll salute Garlic and Hanging Out.  Love the Keller Quote.  Only been through the Suez canal once, on Silver Whisper, and after that cruise I lost all desire to return to Silversea.  Cornish hen sounds nice.  My alternative is Papaya, Pineapple, & Orange, Turkey Roast with Giblet Gravy, and Cranberry, and Blueberry Sundae as served on MS Zaandam April 19, 2017.

https://aroundamericabitbybit.files.wordpress.com/2017/04/dishes19.jpg

Today's care list:

Kakalina

St. Vincent

myself facing cardiac issues

Welfare of furloughed crews

NextOne DH in hospital

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

Denise checking in

Sr Louis Sal on a Branson getaway

smitty34877 reunion with DB and DSIL

Birdwhisperer Joy

Crabbi Patti, Mom, and Daughter

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 35
  • Thanks 4

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

I love garlic and I'll hang out with my husband. 

Great inspirational quote from Helen Keller.

I don't have any Cornish hens in the freezer, maybe I'll substitute chicken.

The drink of the day sounds like a nice treat.  Hope the wine is good too.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers to all who celebrate.

Stay safe.

• Like 23

Good morning.  Nasty thunderstorms going on. Tornado warnings not far from us. Love Garlic and Hanging out day.  Seems we've done that a lot lately.  Agree with Roy about Patriot's day.  Love the Keller quote.  Will skip the meal, not sure what we will have for dinner.

Prayers and toasts for our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and please continue to wear your mask.

Today's drink has a lot of directions, but sounds yummy.

Milk and Cookie shots:

1 cup Vegetable Shortening
1/3 cup Granulated Sugar
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
1 Egg , separated yolk only
1 Tbsp Vanilla Extract
2 cups All-Purpose Flour , sifted
1/2 tsp Salt
1 cup Mini Chocolate Chips
1 cup Dark Chocolate Candy Melts
1 1/2 cups Milk
Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C), and grease the molds of a popover pan.
Step 2
In a large bowl, cream together Vegetable Shortening (1 cup) , Brown Sugar (1/2 cup) and Granulated Sugar (1/3 cup) . Add the Egg (1) and Vanilla Extract (1/2 Tbsp) and mix until completely incorporated.
Step 3
Gradually add the sifted All-Purpose Flour (2 cups) and Salt (1/2 tsp) and mix until completely incorporated.
Step 4
Add the Mini Chocolate Chips (1 cup) and mix together until evenly distributed. The dough should be a little crumbly at this point.
Step 5
Form the cookie shots inside the molds, making the walls of the cookie shot about 1/4 inch thick.
Step 6
Chill for 20 to 30 minutes before baking.
Step 7
Bake for about 20 minutes or until the cookies just start to brown. Remove from the oven, and let cool completely.
Step 8
Melt Dark Chocolate Candy Melts (1 cup) and then pour the melted chocolate into the well of each cookie. Let it sit for a minute, and then pour the excess chocolate back into the pan.
Step 9
Chill cookie shots until the chocolate has set.
Step 10
Mix together Milk (1 1/2 cups) and Vanilla Extract (1/2 Tbsp) and serve inside each cookie shot. Serve and enjoy!

Screen Shot 2021-04-19 at 6.54.36 AM.png

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, everyone!

Garlic Day was made for me.  Not only does garlic provide great flavor for your food, but it is a very healthy addition to the meal.  Once, when I was away from home visiting family, my glands became swollen.  I went to my brother's house as he is a respiratory therapist and thought he might have some connections.  This was after a disastrous visit to Urgent Care.   DB called his friend, an ER doc, who said I should eat a clove of garlic daily until I got home to see my own doctor.  I did that and after the first dose I felt so much better.   By the time I got home to see my own doctor, the condition had resolved.  Hooray for Garlic!

I've been Hanging Out for a year now.  Time to get moving!

Today's meal from the usual site is a bomb.  Reviews are not good and the problem seems to come from doing it in a slow cooker.  So, I'll offer an alternative recipe.  

Alternate site:  https://mediterraneanlatinloveaffair.com/roasted-cornish-hens-potatoes/

NUTRITION

Calories: 862kcalCarbohydrates: 71gProtein: 48gFat: 43gSaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 229mgSodium: 1997mgPotassium: 2160mgFiber: 7gSugar: 6gVitamin A: 2769IUVitamin C: 41mgCalcium: 112mgIron: 6mg

Roasted-cornish-hen.thumb.jpg.f5dd1db95d34a9f4616395f7a5f81601.jpg

Usual site:   https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/cornish-hens-with-potatoes/

No nutritional information was given.

767412269_Cornishhen1.jpg.9be5d89351a61b96f46134887a9d125a.jpg

• Like 28
  • Thanks 3

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

Love garlic and there’s always some in my fridge so I’ll celebrate happily.  I learned something new again, thanks to this thread.  National Hanging Out Day originated encouraging people to hang their clothes out to dry rather than use the dryer.  It looks like a beautiful sunny day here at long last, so I would be happy to use my clothes line.  Speaking of clothes:

53A1575F-F3EE-40E0-BABB-E952FB2BCA95.thumb.jpeg.1d277199a704b5b7fa295bd77aa6f7ed.jpeg

I love that quote by Helen Keller.  I so admired her.

Cornish hen - yum!  Love that meal suggestion.  I might just pick up a couple on my way back from the periodontist this morning.

Today is a red letter day as DH gets his first jab today.  Hopefully mine follows shortly 🤞 We are blessed to have the scientists we do who have developed the vaccines.  In these long, covid times I try to remind myself to count my blessings:

EF748EBD-B349-4261-AF37-BE378DE1C4C3.jpeg.3b5e9f2eac839168e6b8dc0c078f7d10.jpeg

Haven’t been to the Suez Canal so I’m looking forward to reports.

I absolutely loved this statement by Queen Elizabeth I saw yesterday and thought I would share:

AB988253-8E81-4DA8-99F6-E63A9F358249.thumb.jpeg.3936b3e6bdc397f24d2cfb123e49b630.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on Roy’s Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Monday everyone!!!  Stay safe and please don’t forget your masks 😷 

• Like 38
  • Thanks 1

Good  morning everyone.  @dfish, I  love  the  garlic  story  and @kazu your  quote  from  the  Queen brought  tears  to  my  eyes. There  are  no  clotheslines  here as  this  neighborhood  has  mostly "city  sized"  backyards  so  I  will  celebrate  our  usual  way  of  "hanging  out".

I  lived  in  Boston  during  my  college  years  and  always  enjoyed  the  running  of  the  Boston  Marathon on  Patriot's  Day. I  lived  not  far  from  the  finish  line  and  it  was fun  to  watch  the runners  at  the  end of  their  race.

@rafinmd, thank  you  for  the    shout  out!  We  will  see  our much  loved  family  members  sometime  this  afternoon. And  there  will  be  hugs!        Terry

• Like 22

Good Morning All, thanks for the daily report.  I like today’s quote.  Patriots day was a puzzling one for me before I moved to Massachusetts.  I would get charged holiday rates when I visited the cape.  It is the day that the marathon traditionally runs, not during covid.  It is more a holiday for government workers and the start of spring break for those in school.

• Like 19

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Monday Daily, Rich.  Patriots Day appears to be primarily a Massachusetts holiday;  do we have any Dailyites there?  I'll salute Garlic and Hanging Out.  Love the Keller Quote.  Only been through the Suez canal once, on Silver Whisper, and after that cruise I lost all desire to return to Silversea.  Cornish hen sounds nice.  My alternative is Papaya, Pineapple, & Orange, Turkey Roast with Giblet Gravy, and Cranberry, and Blueberry Sundae as served on MS Zaandam April 19, 2017.

https://aroundamericabitbybit.files.wordpress.com/2017/04/dishes19.jpg

Today's care list:

Kakalina

St. Vincent

myself facing cardiac issues

Welfare of furloughed crews

NextOne DH in hospital

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

Denise checking in

Sr Louis Sal on a Branson getaway

smitty34877 reunion with DB and DSIL

Birdwhisperer Joy

Crabbi Patti, Mom, and Daughter

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

You have a Dailyite lurker here, enjoying his vacation day! Since we’ll be driving past Perkins Institute for the Blind on our way to the grocery store, Helen Keller’s quote is perfect for this sunny day.

• Like 22

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Love today’s combination of days! A huge fan of garlic, though I need to be careful that Bindi doesn’t eat it. No hanging clothes out here. And Patriots Day is usually a huge event in Massachusetts. 

Roy, thank you for keeping our lists. Morning Dailyites & my Sisters. A belated Happy Birthday to @Sharon in AZ’s DD and @sailingdutchy’s DW! Great quote. Pass on the meal. Summer thank you for the recipe. I wonder if Baileys would be good in them?

More rain here today. Yesterday morning was wild here - we had a ferocious wind & hail storm. The wind blew the hail so hard against the front of my house, that Bindi came into the kitchen with me and laid down. The noise was deafening! My hail was only around chickpea sized, but people in my Nextdoor group posted pictures of them holding dime and quarter sized hail. Luckily it only lasted around 5 minutes.  At least I do not need to add water to the pool!

prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Reviews of this wine from the everyday consumer indicate this is a decent Syrah, but there are many better options at lower prices. I found one online distributor that offered it for $16.98. You might find it cheaper locally. 

91 - Wine.com tasting panel: A perky red, offering lively blackberry, smoky pepper and licorice flavors that linger on the finish. Drink now through 2023. The aromas of blue and red fruit are direct and appealing, with dried herbs providing a grace note. The currant flavors are plump with lightly grainy tannins backing them up.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Mr. Boston said:

You have a Dailyite lurker here, enjoying his vacation day! Since we’ll be driving past Perkins Institute for the Blind on our way to the grocery store, Helen Keller’s quote is perfect for this sunny day.

Welcome to the Daily!

• Like 8

16 minutes ago, Mr. Boston said:

It looks like this is your second post on the Daily.  Welcome back.

Roy

• Like 9

Happy Patriots Day to all!  Not just in Massachusetts, let's salute everyone who is a Patriot because we can use as many as we can get.  As soon as I heard it was Garlic Day I thought of Gilroy, CA, the garlic capital of the world.  The quote from Queen Elizabeth is so, so true.  I know she must feel lost without Philip nearby.  

I see today is Enter Suez Canal at Suez day.  So I had to look up which end of the canal Suez was located.  It's on the southern end and when we passed through we entered from the northern end, leaving at the southern end.  I think I will still count it as a "port" though since we had to pass it to leave the canal.  Here's my report.

We entered the canal before sunup but I was outside early along with other passengers of the Emerald Princess.  This was Oct. 8, 2016.enhance

enhance

Police were parked along the western bank of the canal.enhance

There were sentry stations along the route.enhance

enhance

The eastern bank was a lot more desolate.  Here's a large bridge we passed under.enhance

Later in the day, everyone lined up to look at the ...sand.enhance

enhance

Here we were in separate channels of the Suez Canal.  See the ship in the other lane, looking like it was just sitting there in the desert?enhance

This photo I took from Skywalkers Lounge at the aft of the ship shows both channels as we left that area.  The knitters and stitchers were busy with our work and keeping an eye on things with great views from Skywalkers.enhance

After we left the canal you could see the many ships waiting their turn to pass through.enhance

• Like 35
  • Thanks 2

Good morning everyone. I love garlic and Cornish hens. I wish I had some hens at home, but am thinking they will be part of my next shopping list. When my husband was in the Navy, back in 1963, we didn’t have a clothes dryer. I hung everything outside to dry and loved the clean smell when I took the clothing in. Now, living in a condo community, I would be fined if I hung the clothes out on a line.

I love the Helen Keller quote. I really admired her. 

Stay safe everyone.

Carol

• Like 17

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  We love garlic, and since we can't be with other people, DH and I can enjoy as much as we want without offending others.  I love hanging out with DH, but also enjoy putting clothes outside on the clothesline - if we had one.  In our old house, I had DH put in a folding clothesline and it was wonderful, bringing in the fresh smelling sheets and towels.  It's really hard to replicate that scent.  Patriots Day - well, most Canadians are patriotic, but in a quiet, subdued way.

@rafinmd I love your menu suggestion and would likely have ordered that right along with you.  I am intrigued though, by your statement that after your cruise with Silversea, you wouldn't go back - was it that bad?

A belated Happy Birthday to @sailingdutchy's DW, and @Sharon in AZ's DD.  @smitty34877 have a wonderful reunion with your family!

I lived in a small town with my parents, and they didn't get out much, but on our first anniversary, DH and I persuaded them to join us in "the city" to celebrate.  We took them out to a fancy restaurant (with a maitre'd), and helped them order a special dinner to enjoy.  Well, when the Cornish hens arrived at the table, my mother, looked at my dad and said "Oh Martin, look at the little chickens!"   We still chuckle over that, more than 40 years later.  

Great menu suggestion (in the oven), but the Chinese oven fried rice and chicken that I made yesterday made a large amount, so we'll be having that for our dinner again tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra prayers for Roy.  Raising the wine glasses to toast all on the happy list.  Stay safe, be well, wash your hands, wear your mask(s) and get your jabs!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 25

Good Morning from a very rainy and stormy day at the beach.

Love Garlic, it is a staple in this house.  I grew up in Massachusetts and Patriots Day is indeed a big holiday. It was , until Covid the running of the Marathon. Many of my family have run that race. Also the Red Sox play at 11am. Kind of a tradition. 

It will be a hangout day. No water aerobics today. 

Never been to todays port. 

StLouisCruisers-   thanks for the great pictures.   I have always been a little nervous about going there. Maybe someday.  It is on DH`S list.

The air show ended yesterday and the crowds are now gone. The show was great. Those pilots are amazing.  

Stay safe and enjoy today

• Like 17

Good morning Rich and thanks again for the Daily. Hugs for my sisters and Roy hoping you are closer to your surgery. Thank you for adding me to our cheers list. Bird whisperer.. sweet.

Happy Birthday and Happy Anniversary to those celebrating today. 

We are going for prime rib tonight. One of our favorite restaurants serve it on Monday. We invited some new neighbors to join us there and look forward to getting to know them. They both lost their spouse's last year and live alone. 

Thank you for the pictures St Louis. That place looks a bit spooky.

Blessings, Prayers and Cheers. 

• Like 18