The Daily for Saturday Apr 24, 2021

richwmn

Today is Independent Bookstore Day, National Go Birding Day, and National Day of Puppetry

"Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese. - Luis Bunuel"

Meal suggestion for today - Sunday Pot Roast

Drink of the Day - Almost a Collins

Wine of the day - Danzante Pinot Grigio - Italy - White

Port of the Day - Port Elizabeth South Africa

At Sea English Channel
Eurodam Destination Torquay eta today

At Sea Gulf of California
Zuiderdam Destination Long Beach eta 4/29

At Sea Pacific
Koningsdam Destination La Paz MX eta 4/28

Corfu GR
Volendam

Half Moon Cay
Nieuw Statendam

La Paz MX
Nieuw Amsterdam Anchorage
Noordam
Westerdam Anchorage

Limassol CY
Zaandam

Torquay UK
Oosterdam Anchorage

0424World.thumb.png.03e0bdab0be9bef942723e3713f78365.png

• Like 33
  • Thanks 4

Thank you for the Saturday Daily, Rich.  Tough times for independent bookstores.  I'm not a birder but enjoy puppetry.  I think some here would disagree with Bunuel with respect to wine.  I was supposed to visit Port Elizabeth on QM2 just over a year ago but we know how that turned out.  I like Sunday Pot Roast but will not make it for one.  My alternative dinner suggestion is Chilled Pineapple Pina Colada Soup, Classic Caesar Salad and Grilled Black Angus Filet Mignon as served on MS Amsterdam April 24, 2014.

Today's care list:

Kakalina

St. Vincent

myself facing cardiac surgery May 14

Welfare of furloughed crews

NextOne DH in hospital

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

Second jan for Mrs. Vmax

Sr Louis Sal on a Branson getaway

Welcome back Tioga Cruiser

Copper10_8 lunch with DMIL

First jabs for HorizonChaser1957

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 32
  • Thanks 5

Today's sunrise is from my 2013 combination of Queen Elizabeth transatlantic and Crystal Symphony transpacific with a visit to Angkor Wat in between.  On April 24 Crystal Symphony was in Seward:

1stsun424.jpg

Roy

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

A bright sunny day here, high of 14C (57F) in the forecast. 🙂

An interesting collection of days.  It certainly is a bad time for bookstores.  I like watching the birds in our yard, puppetry is fun to watch.

The dinner suggestion sounds good, but we are going to have that tomorrow, so I'll have to think of something else for today.

Looking forward to reading about the wine and the drink of the day.

Prayers for all on the Care List.  Cheers to all who celebrate.

Stay safe.

• Like 17

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! A great selection of Days!  I am more of a nature lover than a birder, but I will celebrate their day. 

Roy, thank you for keeping our lists! Morning everyone. Love the name of today’s drink. A bit cloudy here this morning, but that could be a marine layer and burn off soon. Off to an early Pilates class, then hoping to get out in the garden. I will be doing something with eggs for supper tonight, since I need to start using some. Maybe a veggie frittata. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Not very detailed reviews, but the 2017 vintage of this wine has an excellent rating! And since I found a distributor selling it for $8.99, I am putting this on my list to try. I can always use it for cooking. 

Winemaker Notes

A bouquet of fruity and citrus notes of citron are accompanied by fine floral accents. The nose possesses both the crisp qualities of green apples and the sweetness of ripe apricots. In the mouth, rich and persistent notes of ripe summer fruits lead the way for lingering and fresh citrusy finish. Pairs well with shrimp risotto, salmon crostini and a citrus fennel salad.
JS90 James Suckling:  Light, lemon and apple character on the nose. Medium body, bright and fresh fruit and a lively finish.
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Chilled Pineapple Pina Colada Soup

Just had to Google that one! Found versions of Princess's recipe (10 servings vs. 5 servings) and one "easy" recipe.

Princess

https://boards.cruisecritic.com.au/topic/1038124-pina-colada-soup/

https://www.tasteforcooking.com/travel/princess-cruises-frozen-rum-infused-pina-colada-soup/

https://cruisetipstv.com/easy-chilled-pina-colada-soup/

"Easy"

http://bearcastle.net/dp/page/cold-piñ-colada-soup

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

A great combination of days.  Sadly there are few independent book stores left.  The best way to celebrate those left is to support them.  We enjoy watching the birds. We have lots - some attracted by the flowers and a little one nests in one of my pots every year.  

I like Brunel’s attitude but age matters in more things than just cheese 😉 

Seems strange that the meal suggestion for Saturday is technically a Sunday menu 😉  Intrigued by the drink of the day and although I’ve had Danzante on the BHB, it will be interesting to see what cat has to say about it.

Happy to see the sun shining today and the temperature above 0.  Hopefully it warms back up here now.  And good weather for my drive 👍 Since I have to travel for the shot, I’ll take advantage to stop at my only little spot that carries my earth I need.  Only one person permitted in the store at a time and it will be a quick in and out.  And my favourite little garden spot (if it’s not busy).

Saw this and it made me smile.  Reminded me of when I had my 5 cats and 2 dogs.  The cats snuggled on andwith my big white mountain dog all winter long and poor Maverick didn’t dare move for fear of disturbing them.

2F016E94-A0A0-48DF-A1D6-E3577C79FD18.jpeg.784410c5377b77eb338131171cdfa462.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on Roy’s Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Saturday everyone!!!

9C05D099-C2BD-4FD8-A4B5-826E344B60C2.jpeg.893777137a109151abd7ac1f9db3a19b.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your masks 😷 

• Like 30
  • Haha 3

Good morning, everyone!

I guess I slept in a bit today.  That sure was nice.   I have a big Zoom meeting in a couple of hours for the nonprofit I work for.  I will be thankful when that is over.  It has been a huge job putting it together.  

As @kazusaid, today's meal is a Sunday meal.  It seems strange to be having Sunday pot roast on Saturday.  I guess it keeps us on our toes.  The webpage says because it is so easy to fix, we can have Sunday dinner any night of the week.  I think I would choose Roy's alternative today.  I always love filet.  I did get a nice flank steak at the store yesterday for tomorrow.  It is marinating now and I plan to cook it on the grill.

This one is a bit different as it uses a pork loin instead of beef.  Most of us think of pot roast being beef.  Reviews are a bit mixed on this one.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/sunday-pot-roast/

1 serving: 217 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 57mg cholesterol, 230mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 24g protein. 

Sunday Pot Roast.jpg

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

Welcome Saturday.  Thank you Rich and Roy for your diligence to our maps and lists.  Love Independent Bookstores.  I could spend days in them.  I really miss the old Libraries onboard.  I watch the birds at my birdbath so I guess that is my go birding.  I don't care for puppets.  Great quote!!  I love the meal suggestion.  My MIL always had a great roast on Sundays.

Prayers and toasts🥤to our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and please continue to wear your mask.

Almost a Collins:

Ingredients. 1 1/2 ounces vodka (Ketel One) 1 ounce blood orange juice. 1/2 ounce cinnamon simple syrup. 3 ounces blood orange soda (Dry Sparkling) Garnish: blood orange wheel. Garnish: cinnamon stick.

Screen Shot 2021-04-24 at 7.36.46 AM.png

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

Continued thanks to Rich and Roy for our daily cruise fix.  I actually went to a local mall yesterday and I saw people shopping!  A feeling of normalcy. My big purchase — a red t-shirt with blue anchors.  I will save it for my next celebratory boarding day.  Hopeful that day is not too far in the future.  Katherine

• Like 20

Good morning everyone. Except for some rain tonight and tomorrow, we’re looking at a nice group of great warm weather days. Speaking of warm weather, the people in my condo are trying to convince our board to open the pool, but they are afraid someone will get covid and sue them. In Florida, the pools are open by appointment. You bring your own chairs and have a certain amount of time to swim. It’s frustrating that this will be the second summer with no pool, while other communities  near us in NJ have their pools open.

I must admit I miss the old independent book stores, but while I never thought I would like it, I now read all my books on a kindle. I’m always reading. Like the pharmacy, the independent book stores are a thing of the past.

Stay safe everyone.

Carol

• Like 18

Thanks for the daily Rich!  It’s a very nice day here, perfect for birding and going to an independent bookstore.  Lady Elaine Fairchild from Mr. Rogers Neighborhood turned me off puppets at a young age!  Prayers to all in need.

• Like 13

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  It's disappointing that most of the independent bookstores have closed down - it was neat wandering through the aisles of an old bookstore, checking whatever they had in the various sections.  Going into a Chapters or Coles just doesn't feel the same.  We aren't into birding, but we certainly feed them all winter - I refer to them as "pigs with wings" because of the mess they leave while picking out their favourite seeds.  While not a fan of puppetry, per se, we did see an interesting water puppet show during our stop in Nha Trang, Vietnam.  Considering the fact that the puppeteers were behind a screen and couldn't really see what they were doing, they did a great job!

The weather did warm up a bit yesterday, we got to a high of +4C, but it wasn't warm enough for us to have dinner on the deck.  We did bring out some plants for the day so they could get acclimated to the cooler weather - of course, bringing them in at night or they'll freeze.  We're itching to get pots of plants from the various greenhouses, but know we'll have our kitchen and dining rooms filled with pots every night because of the cold overnight temps for at least another month.

I've always enjoyed a Sunday pot roast, no matter what day it was served.  I understand why it was mainly served on a Sunday - the whole meal could be put into the oven at once, giving the cook a bit of a break from regular weekday meal prep.  And, depending on the size of the family, there were usually leftovers for another meal or two.

I've got hamburger thawing  right now, so will be making up some burgers for us for tonight.  Along with some fresh corn on the cob and a Greek salad, that will be what's happening on our dinner table to night.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra prayers for Roy.  Raising the glasses to celebrate everyone on the happy list.  Stay safe, be well, wash your hands, wear your mask(s), and get your jabs!  (Drive safely, @kazu and enjoy your outing!)

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 21

Good morning, all! I love small, independent bookstores. There are fewer and fewer as time passes, though. I love the quote, although my knees might argue the point. I got everything I needed done in the garden yesterday, and my knees are reminding me today. But our solid week of beautiful weather has turned into a forecast of a solid week of rain. The world is grey and wet again, but the garden is ready for it. It is really a perfect day for a pot roast here! I haven’t been to Port Elizabeth yet, but it’s on the list for 2023. Looking forward to the pictures!
The provincial travel restrictions are in effect now. Checking the BC Ferries website, the traffic numbers for today have plummeted, as they should.

Enjoy your weekend, and Happy Saturday, courtesy of our BHB’s and their hard working elevators.

327F17ED-5D27-4F94-8B29-E31CAA478B76.thumb.jpeg.975ad74888d218906d47248e7ddc8ce0.jpeg

• Like 21

Good morning all!  It's a very rainy day in Georgia today.  Looks like Sunday will be the nice day this weekend.  We plan on having pot roast soon (in the crock pot), but I know for sure it won't be today.  All good days to celebrate today, but I think my favorite puppets would be Muppets!  They were very popular when my two kids were little so they were on our TV screen and all over our bookcase.

I have not been to Port Elizabeth, South Africa and in checking the Grand Africa cruise in 2022 I see it isn't even on the itinerary then.  So it will have to be another cruise, if I ever do get there.

• Like 19

Good  morning everyone. Thank  you for  the  Daily  and  our  lists,ports,quotes  and  recipes.

A  Pot  Roast  would  make  me  very  popular  here  with  DH but  I  have  pork  chops  smothered  in  onions  to  make  today. He  will  adjust!Independent book  stores  are  having  a  rough  time  in  our  area. I  think  most  businesses  are  having  difficulty. We  try  to  support  our  local  small  businesses  of  all  types around  here.

I  love  the  spirit  of  the  quote and  at  times  my  mind  thinks  I  am  still  twenty. The  rest  of  me  disagrees  but  I  try  my  best  to  soldier  on!          Terry

• Like 16

10 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I have not been to Port Elizabeth, South Africa and in checking the Grand Africa cruise in 2022 I see it isn't even on the itinerary then.  So it will have to be another cruise, if I ever do get there.

So we get to meet on the 2022 Grand Africa! Are you on the Roll Call?

• Like 6

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Saturday Daily, Rich.  Tough times for independent bookstores.  I'm not a birder but enjoy puppetry.  I think some here would disagree with Bunuel with respect to wine.  I was supposed to visit Port Elizabeth on QM2 just over a year ago but we know how that turned out.  I like Sunday Pot Roast but will not make it for one.  My alternative dinner suggestion is Chilled Pineapple Pina Colada Soup, Classic Caesar Salad and Grilled Black Angus Filet Mignon as served on MS Amsterdam April 24, 2014.

Today's care list:

Kakalina

St. Vincent

myself facing cardiac surgery May 14

Welfare of furloughed crews

NextOne DH in hospital

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

Second jan for Mrs. Vmax

Sr Louis Sal on a Branson getaway

Welcome back Tioga Cruiser

Copper10_8 lunch with DMIL

First jabs for HorizonChaser1957

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thanks for the Care List and shout out List.  Hope you cardiac surgery goes well.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, summer slope said:

Welcome Saturday.  Thank you Rich and Roy for your diligence to our maps and lists.  Love Independent Bookstores.  I could spend days in them.  I really miss the old Libraries onboard.  I watch the birds at my birdbath so I guess that is my go birding.  I don't care for puppets.  Great quote!!  I love the meal suggestion.  My MIL always had a great roast on Sundays.

Prayers and toasts🥤to our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and please continue to wear your mask.

Almost a Collins:

Ingredients. 1 1/2 ounces vodka (Ketel One) 1 ounce blood orange juice. 1/2 ounce cinnamon simple syrup. 3 ounces blood orange soda (Dry Sparkling) Garnish: blood orange wheel. Garnish: cinnamon stick.

Screen Shot 2021-04-24 at 7.36.46 AM.png

An interesting drink

• Like 3