The Daily for Friday Apr 30, 2021

richwmn

Good morning and thank you for the updates.  I have sailed the St. Lawrence numerous times and it is also one of my very favorite mineral regions.  You may have seen the famous pink garnets from the region, tiny but impactful.   Here are some other regional minerals:  Vesuvianite aka Idocrase,  Rare, rare Carletonite and the famous pink garnet.

Vesuvianite Crystal Cluster Quebec on Etsy by Fender Minerals - 1.jpg

carletonite - 2.jpg

PinkGrossularGarnetonPectoliteGemstoneCrystalsonMatrix_2048x2048.jpg

• Like 21

@NextOneI hope your DH does well with his surgery so he can continue on with his treatments.  I was just asking myself this morning when I read Roy's lists, I wonder how @NextOne 's DH is doing?  You must have heard me!

And @Vict0riannI forgot to reply yesterday about your good biopsy report.  We're always ready for good news here.  Sorry about your cruise cancellation for 2021 but I know things will be better for us all in 2022.

• Like 14

22 minutes ago, NextOne said:

Hi friends! It's been a couple of weeks, so I thought I'd check in. I love trees, but not raking the leaves in the fall! My hairstyle suffered during the pandemic & I decided to embrace the gray. DH has always teased me that if I had to go into Witness Protection, he knew he could find me listening to jazz at Snug Harbor in New Orleans! We are booked for the October 2022 cruise from Quebec City to FLL, so I'd love to see pictures of the St. Lawrence.

DH is still in the hospital & is scheduled for surgery on Monday to remove a section of the bowel. Once he recovers from that, the drs hope to finally start the new chemo regime. The hospital is still observing covid restrictions, so he can have one visitor for one hour a day. Annoying! Our son is still visiting & is a big help.

Happy Friday & enjoy the weekend!

Praying that all goes well on Monday!

• Like 12

Good Morning All,

Its Friday and that means cleaning day. I’ve kept some traditions from when I worked. And the house really needs a cleaning as it didn’t get it last week when we were “on vacation”. I think most of the things from our trip are unpacked but some still need to be put away.

@ger_77 Those floaters can be annoying. I got my first one on my 30th birthday. I thought I got mascara in my eye, and mentioned it to my optometrist a few weeks later. We both had a good laugh. I’ve found they eventually settle/ disappear, but not until I’ve “chased a few flies”.

@dfish That recipe sounds great, and I copied it along with the referenced lime chicken so I can make them maybe Sunday or next week. DH ordered dinner for tonight at his work’s cafe. They sell family dinners for takeout on Thursday and Friday, and they are better than most restaurants. He has been working from home since Thanksgiving, so we have missed that perk. He went back to work at the office Monday. 

B085F540-8E4D-4643-B548-ED4560AC891C.jpeg
Have a great day everyone!

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 21
  • Haha 1

Good morning, all! I love that the trees are leafing out now, but miss my Salt Spring forest, and my leaf printing supplies. My current hairstyle is much appreciated by those who identify as haystacks.

Yesterday was not a good day. I read the daily and drew a lot of strength from you all, but just did not post. DD in Taiwan finally let me know that all is not well there. She and DSIL have separated and filed for divorce. This is a very fast process there, if both parties agree. Her life is there now, and she has permanent resident status, so she is staying in Taiwan rather than coming home. Needless to say I am devastated.
Then DH had a video chat appointment with his brother in hospital in Montreal. He is in worse shape than we thought. He cannot speak, or look at the camera. DH talked to him about memories from their childhood, and he was able to move his hand slightly when something resonated. He will never be leaving the ICU. So, that was my day.

Thank you all for being here in this positive space. Jacqui, God bless you for posting HAL’s bread pudding recipe today of all days. It’s exactly what I need right now.

I’m so sorry this has been such a down entry. It’s Friday, and I wish I could spend it at the stern of a BHB watching the wake fade away towards the horizon.

EB44D1A7-046E-4945-800E-FF6E5F411E72.thumb.jpeg.35aff8258867aaccb98a7037942b0782.jpeg

• Like 17
  • Thanks 7

As I indicated in my first post I have cruised the St. Laurence a lot but never on a BHB despite being booked on Zuiderdam last fall.  I will post a few photos you would never expect to see on a BHB.

My first ever Transatlantic was on the Freighter Canmar Courage out of Montreal in March, 2003.  I snapped this photo out the back window heading downstream:

wrld0340.thumb.jpg.94988630ff263df18c855dcc37e39c6d.jpg

I have also sailed extensively in the upper St. Lawrence with Blount Small Ship Adventures.   Hardly any big cruise ships can get through those locks.  Some of the best scenic cruising is in the Thousand Islands, just beyond the outlet of Lake Ontario.  The larger islands are colonies of "Cottages", much like places like Newport.  A couple of the not quite so large were private islands with massive cottages.  Boldt Castle is the most famous.  Mr Boldt designed it for his wife but when she died mid-construction he simply abandoned the work and the interior is mostly unfinished:

boldt.jpg

Not as famous but equally impressive is Singer Castle, built by the owner of Singer Sewing Machines:

singer1.jpg

The locks are quite imposing to such a small ship:

lockexit.jpg

BHB's often have sailed between Montreal and Quebec but today I think the only ones that still can are Zaandam and Volendam.  They do so at night and there's one other site I wanted to highlight.

Delphis and Monique Duhamel for many years maintained a sight on the banks of the river with some flag poles.  As ships passed they would raise the colors of the ship's country and play their national song over massive speakers.

flags.jpg

Sadly, Mr. Duhamel passed on March 27.

Roy

• Like 30
  • Thanks 3

18 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Then DH had a video chat appointment with his brother in hospital in Montreal. He is in worse shape than we thought. He cannot speak, or look at the camera. DH talked to him about memories from their childhood, and he was able to move his hand slightly when something resonated. He will never be leaving the ICU.

I am so sorry to hear this 😢 and the divorce news as well.

Certainly a bad day for you 😔 Praying for strength for you and your DH.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NextOne said:

DH is still in the hospital & is scheduled for surgery on Monday to remove a section of the bowel. Once he recovers from that, the drs hope to finally start the new chemo regime.

Prayers for Ron that all goes well on Monday & he can start the new chemo regime 🙏🏻 

• Like 7

Good morning everyone. Prayers for all those who are ill. 

We sailed the St. Lawrence many times on our New England/ Canada cruises.

The trees here are in bloom and the leaves are blocking our view of the street across the woods from us. I always am happy when that happens.

Thank you to those who corrected me yesterday when you thought I wrote hotel for Kotel. Hopefully I won’t be auto corrected today. 

Stay safe everyone.

Carol

• Like 14

@Horizonchaser - that is really a downer day. Cyber hugs coming your way.

I have been off for a few days with just too much to do and doing it all at a much slower pace than in the past. What is it they say ... "it takes me longer and longer to do less and less". And yesterday was a total bust from start to finish. The start was a real mess. I was eating breakfast facing the patio door that overlooks our driveway when a fire truck went past. WHAAT????? Went out and found that in a lower unit in the building immediatgely behind me they had a grease fire .......  which they tried to put out by pouring water on it. When that did not work they found a fire extinguisher which they used but they blasted most of the kitchen and sort of missed the fire since they did not realize you needed to aim for the base of the fire. To say it was an terrible mess is a major understatement. And their landlord is really on the war path. At the least they need a new stove, new microwave, counters replaced and some cabinets repaired, if they can be repaired. They were pretty well damaged in spots - more from the fire extinguisher than the fire.

I am looking at cruises carefully, but right now am looking at late 22 and 23. Living here it really it not worth the flights to ports unless the cruise is 14 days or more - usually much more. Dreaming, dreaming, dreaming.....

Susan

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Good morning, all! I love that the trees are leafing out now, but miss my Salt Spring forest, and my leaf printing supplies. My current hairstyle is much appreciated by those who identify as haystacks.

Yesterday was not a good day. I read the daily and drew a lot of strength from you all, but just did not post. DD in Taiwan finally let me know that all is not well there. She and DSIL have separated and filed for divorce. This is a very fast process there, if both parties agree. Her life is there now, and she has permanent resident status, so she is staying in Taiwan rather than coming home. Needless to say I am devastated.
Then DH had a video chat appointment with his brother in hospital in Montreal. He is in worse shape than we thought. He cannot speak, or look at the camera. DH talked to him about memories from their childhood, and he was able to move his hand slightly when something resonated. He will never be leaving the ICU. So, that was my day.

Thank you all for being here in this positive space. Jacqui, God bless you for posting HAL’s bread pudding recipe today of all days. It’s exactly what I need right now.

I’m so sorry this has been such a down entry. It’s Friday, and I wish I could spend it at the stern of a BHB watching the wake fade away towards the horizon.

EB44D1A7-046E-4945-800E-FF6E5F411E72.thumb.jpeg.35aff8258867aaccb98a7037942b0782.jpeg

Please don't feel bad about sharing sad news with all of us on the Daily.  As many have said before, we have become a group of friends and a family during these last many months.  We share sad news and offer support, and we celebrate good news and offer "Woo Whos".  I also could not like your post, but could thank you for sharing.

It is always sad news when a couple decides to end their marriage, and for the in-laws it can be like losing a family member.  With your DD so far away, I imagine you want to be there and support her, which makes it sadder for you.

We're sorry to hear that your DH's brother is sicker than you thought, and his future is not the outcome you wanted.  Glad your DH got to have a video chat and that his brother could respond.

Both of you take care, and know that we are here to support you anyway we can, with prayers and our thoughts.

Lenda

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

@Horizon chaser 1957I am so sorry to hear about your day yesterday.  Here's hope that was the worst it will be and everything will be on an upswing from now on.  Hugs across cyberspace.

@Vict0riann I am happy to hear about the good news on your biopsy.   Onward!

@NextOneThank you for letting us know how your DH is doing.  We worry when we don't hear.   

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Busy visiting with my sister. The sign continued. Today I will put on long underwear and continue with the lettering. Working from a two foot round of wood presents new challenges I have not done before. But hopefully my age has left my hands steady as I endeavor to do lettering today. 
Thanks Rich and all. 

• Like 12

@VictOriann, such great news on biopsy!  Prayers sent for @Horizon chaser 1957and @NextOne.  

Interesting set of days.  My late DH taught me to love Jazz, and it is still my go to for music if I just want to relax.  Reminds me - @SeaSickSailorthe picture of you and your DH made me look twice and then a third time!  The look on your DH's face in that picture reminded me so much of my DH.  Of course, it could have helped that they both had the same hairstyle and similar glasses!  

Jamie, the bartender in one of the bars on the Zuiderdam introduced me to the Vesper cocktail!  Was on the Quebec City to Fort Lauderdale in October, 2019, and I had done a B2B so I had the Panama Canal portion and return to Fort Lauderdale to figure out if I liked the drink!  (Result is that I love it!)

Today is going to be in the 70's, so I think I will "hose off" my front porch furniture and the cushions so that I can sit out there.  In our dusty climate, the dust is the enemy of outdoor furniture!  Again, another beautiful blue sky day.  Maybe I can also get my car through the car wash this afternoon.

Have a great day, everyone!

• Like 15

1 hour ago, NextOne said:

Hi friends! It's been a couple of weeks, so I thought I'd check in. I love trees, but not raking the leaves in the fall! My hairstyle suffered during the pandemic & I decided to embrace the gray. DH has always teased me that if I had to go into Witness Protection, he knew he could find me listening to jazz at Snug Harbor in New Orleans! We are booked for the October 2022 cruise from Quebec City to FLL, so I'd love to see pictures of the St. Lawrence.

DH is still in the hospital & is scheduled for surgery on Monday to remove a section of the bowel. Once he recovers from that, the drs hope to finally start the new chemo regime. The hospital is still observing covid restrictions, so he can have one visitor for one hour a day. Annoying! Our son is still visiting & is a big help.

Happy Friday & enjoy the weekend!

Hope all goes well!  Thinking of you! 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

Good morning and thank you for the updates.  I have sailed the St. Lawrence numerous times and it is also one of my very favorite mineral regions.  You may have seen the famous pink garnets from the region, tiny but impactful.   Here are some other regional minerals:  Vesuvianite aka Idocrase,  Rare, rare Carletonite and the famous pink garnet.

Vesuvianite Crystal Cluster Quebec on Etsy by Fender Minerals - 1.jpg

carletonite - 2.jpg

PinkGrossularGarnetonPectoliteGemstoneCrystalsonMatrix_2048x2048.jpg

Wow!  Gorgeous!  I want that lavender blue one!   Thanks for sharing!

• Like 8

57 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

So sorry for your hard news.  Sending prayers for strength and peace for all your family.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1