Do you have a dream cruise?

ilikeanswers

42 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

What is there to do in Ladabee except for the beach?

DON

Isn't a beach like the pool area on the ship...except for IMneverHO the dreaded sand?

19 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I have not been on a beach aside from walking on one since 1973.

I used to love walking on the island from the ship and not having to take a tender.

So what do you do there?

I really want to do a small barge trip through the Rhône Canal in the south of France.  Visit oyster beds and suck down some good oysters with good wine.  Visit the Carmague horses.  Be lazy as the barge meanders through the Canal.  Was seriously thinking of doing this with Adventure Women this year, but a little "virus" that I caught kept me out of circulation for 12 months so it shut that one down.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

If I lived in Maui I would never want to go anywhere else .A friend of mine moved to Maui from NYC and has often told me how great it is to live there.

Maui was a dream for us for many years, but we finally figured we either just dream the dream or go for making it a reality.  We went for it.  That was 25 years ago, and we haven't looked back.

• Like 3

Just now, Silver Sweethearts said:

Maui was a dream for us for many years, but we finally figured we either just dream the dream or go for making it a reality.  We went for it.  That was 25 years ago, and we haven't looked back.

I cannot recall when my friend moved there.He was a college professor in Maui.

1 hour ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

Were you able to get decent jobs or did you retire?

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

I cannot recall when my friend moved there.He was a college professor in Maui.

I guess I should have understood that Maui has a college. Never thought about it.

1 hour ago, clo said:

Were you able to get decent jobs or did you retire?

Before we moved to Hawaii, the real estate section in our mainland Sunday paper often mentioned people shouldn't build their retirement home until they retired.  We did the opposite, built as early as possible and were ready to go when the chance to retire arose.  Just remember that you don't make your money here.  You need to bring it with you.  Hawaii is not for everyone, but the Aloha spirit does still live here no matter what you read from the media.  For example, our daughter is physically disabled, and moved here with us.  The people of Maui have been unfailingly caring and thoughtful and welcome her everywhere.  Because of that encouragement, she now has her B.A. in Hawaiian Studies from the University of Hawaii Maui Campus and is working on her Masters degree.  The only thing that would (temporarily) draw us away would have to be something like the cruise we mentioned to make it worthwhile.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Three months ago I started a thread listing my current bucket list cruises and asking for others.  I consider "bucket list" and "dream" the same thing.  You can visit that thread here:  

I haven't changed my list in the intervening months.  SPOILER ALERT:  I plan to tick one off next year.

2 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

Three months ago I started a thread listing my current bucket list cruises and asking for others.  I consider "bucket list" and "dream" the same thing. 

Interesting.

As you can see from my response earlier, I took them as two different things. My "dream" cruise would be one where all my ideal conditions of cruising were met. A "bucket list" cruise would be all about the destinations (and only the destinations). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I have two dream cruises. First one is the Princess 28 day, round trip LA to Hawaii and Tahiti. We'll do that one for sure if we find ourselves sadly catless. Can't leave our cat with a caregiver for that long. The other one is Northwest Passage of some sort.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Sea Hag said:

I have two dream cruises. First one is the Princess 28 day, round trip LA to Hawaii and Tahiti. We'll do that one for sure if we find ourselves sadly catless. Can't leave our cat with a caregiver for that long. The other one is Northwest Passage of some sort.

We rarely take longer cruises because of our cats 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

Three months ago I started a thread listing my current bucket list cruises and asking for others.  I consider "bucket list" and "dream" the same thing.  You can visit that thread here:  

I haven't changed my list in the intervening months.  SPOILER ALERT:  I plan to tick one off next year.

@cruisemom42 interpretation is closer to what I was after. If destination is all you care about it is still a good answer but I was more thinking in terms of the overall cruise, like ship, facilities, services, on board activities etc. Not just solely the ideal itinerary. 

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Interesting.

As you can see from my response earlier, I took them as two different things. My "dream" cruise would be one where all my ideal conditions of cruising were met. A "bucket list" cruise would be all about the destinations (and only the destinations). 

A valid distinction -- my bucket list (you really only need one) happens to include several dream cruises  - as some dream cruise facets are difficult to merge into one itinerary.

My very favorite type of cruise is across an ocean, but I really dislike the flights to get there or get back.  So my dream cruise would be a transatlantic or transpacific, a week or two with some ports on that end, and then a return on the ocean.  Sigh....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

Before we moved to Hawaii, the real estate section in our mainland Sunday paper often mentioned people shouldn't build their retirement home until they retired.  We did the opposite, built as early as possible and were ready to go when the chance to retire arose.  Just remember that you don't make your money here.  You need to bring it with you.  Hawaii is not for everyone, but the Aloha spirit does still live here no matter what you read from the media.  For example, our daughter is physically disabled, and moved here with us.  The people of Maui have been unfailingly caring and thoughtful and welcome her everywhere.  Because of that encouragement, she now has her B.A. in Hawaiian Studies from the University of Hawaii Maui Campus and is working on her Masters degree.  The only thing that would (temporarily) draw us away would have to be something like the cruise we mentioned to make it worthwhile.

My friend taught Political Science and related subjects at the University of Hawaii Maui campus.

18 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Walk the circumference of the island ,shop ,take photos ,converse with cruise passengers or with friends,eat at the barbecues .

If we are still talking about Labadee, that wouldn’t work - Hispaniola is one big island -plus, they do not let people off the preserve.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

My very favorite type of cruise is across an ocean, but I really dislike the flights to get there or get back.  So my dream cruise would be a transatlantic or transpacific, a week or two with some ports on that end, and then a return on the ocean.  Sigh....

Combine a trans-Atlantic repositioning - eastbound in Spring or westbound in Fall - with a one way on Cunard’s QM2 going the other way.

5 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

If we are still talking about Labadee, that wouldn’t work - Hispaniola is one big island -plus, they do not let people off the preserve.

I know that but we used to walk where one could walk.

3 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

There really isn't anything like a transoceanic cruise/sailing.  Lazy, hazy days at sea, if one wishes, or days full of a variety of activities.  

4 hours ago, George C said:

We rarely take longer cruises because of our cats 

I am a cat lover that is not owned by a cat. 😀  Your reason is the reason why I am catless.  

• Like 1

My dream has always been the Hebridean Princess, sailing the Western Isles of Scotland.

This is the ship that Queen Elizabeth has twice chartered for all her family- I believe it has 50 cabins.

I loved reading about a trek made by passengers along a beach, where they were met by a butler who led them to a table set for afternoon tea...

• Thanks 1