The Daily for Friday May 07, 2021

richwmn

Today is International Tuba Day, National Day of Prayer, and National Tourism Day

Cure for an obsession: get another one. - Mason Cooley

Meal suggestion for today - Instant Pot Mississippi Pot Roast

Drink of the Day - Gin Fizz

Wine of the day - Big Easy Chenin Blanc - South Africa - White

Port of the Day - Beagle Channel

At Sea Gulf of California
Zuiderdam Destination La Paz MX eta 5/8

At Sea Pacific
Noordam Destination Los Angeles eta 5/6
Westerdam Destination La Paz MX eta 5/9

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

Great Stirrup Cay
Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

La Paz MX
Koningsdam Anchorage
Nieuw Amsterdam Anchorage

Torquay UK
Eurodam Anchorage
Oosterdam

Venice IT
Rotterdam

0507USA.thumb.png.2b1c6a058ed1f7bba577f537dc8a2306.png

0507Europe.thumb.png.0e7552b2fe4813b8db45130e28b7604a.png

• Like 31
  • Thanks 5

Early with the first Friday of May Daily, Rich.  I probably prefer tubas as part of an orchestra rather than alone.  Tourism is just starting to ramp up again.  We need the National Day of Prayer.   I love the quote by Cooley.  I know I've sailed the Beagle Channel a number of times.  The pot roast sounds great.  My alternative is Fruit Salad with Yogurt and Honey, Orange and Radiccio Salad and Beechers Macaroni and Cheese.  I didn't actually choose it but would have had I not been in Amsterdam's Canaletto on April 22, 2014.

Today's care list:

Kakalina

myself facing cardiac surgery May 14

Welfare of furloughed crews

India

StLouisCruiser’s sister undergoing valve surgery

JazzyV eye issues

Garlictown recovering painfully from arm surgery

NextOne DH recovering from surgery

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Welcome back CruisinTerriu

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

Getaway for AncientWanderer

Nieuw Statendam back at PE Sunday-Monday

Getaway for CruisingAlong

Welcome home StLouisSal

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 28
  • Thanks 5

Good morning everyone. I will celebrate tourism day because we all need to be tourists again. I just read that NYC will vaccinate tourists in Time Square.

I’m up before the birds this morning because I couldn’t sleep any longer. 

Have a good and safe day all.

Carol

• Like 17

Good morning.  Happy Friday!  Thanks for the Daily Report.

Tubas are interesting in the right place.  We need prayers.  Tourism is starting up again.

A very amusing quote.

The meal sounds good.  I don't have an instant pot, but may do something similar in the crock pot.

I'd love a gin fizz, hope the wine is good too.

Never sailed the Beagle Channel.

Sending prayers for everyone. 

Stay safe.

• Like 16

Good morning, everyone.  

Good reasons to celebrate today.  Anyone play the tuba in high school band?    As Roy said, we need prayers every day and with prayers and the vaccine, we can soon be tourists again.

@puppycanducruise I was wondering the same thing about using a slow cooker.  Weren't they once called crock pots?   And, are instant pots similar to a pressure cooker?

Today's meal is another with rave reviews.  I think that is all they allow on this site.

https://damndelicious.net/2020/06/06/instant-pot-mississippi-pot-roast/

Instant-Pot-Mississippi-Pot-RoastIMG_0380.jpg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 3

Thanks for the daily Rich and good morning everyone.  I like that tubas have their own day.  We certainly can use prayers and tourists.  Dinner sounds very nice but we’re having fish this evening. Great quote today.  Never been to the Beagle Channel, yet. Prayers to those in need. Cheers all!

• Like 14

Good morning.  Our local HS used to do a Tuba Christmas program.  It was very enjoyable. Everyday is a day of Prayer.  And Tourism looks like it is beginning to happen again.  YEA!!  The meal looks yummy.  Love my Instant Pot.  Interesting quote.  We've never been to the port. 

Prayers and toasts to our lists.  Hopefully the jabs will be available to all soon.

Stay safe, social distance, and please continue to wear your mask.

Gin Fizz:

Ingredients
2 ounces gin
1 ounce lemon juice, freshly squeezed
3/4 ounce simple syrup
1 egg white (about 1/2 ounce)
Club soda, to top (about 1 ounce)

Steps
Add the gin, lemon juice, simple syrup and egg white to a shaker and vigorously dry-shake (without ice) for about 15 seconds.
Add 3 or 4 ice cubes and shake vigorously until well-chilled.
Double-strain into a chilled Collins glass and top with club soda.

Screen Shot 2021-05-07 at 7.27.44 AM.png

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

Good morning,

Thank you Rich for the Daily. Finally, a port I’ve been to,  South America was probably one of the best cruises we ever took.  It was on the Veendam —the repositioning and we went all the way from Buenos Aires to Fort Lauderdale.  

Thank you for the welcome, Roy.  My prayers for you for your upcoming surgery as well as all the others on the Cares list.  I truly hope it goes well.

As for the dinner, we will skip it.  Not big on red meat and already had it once this week.  We will have tuna with lemon and capers tonight.  

However, we will try a Gin Fizz.  Finally a drink I will try.  I usually stick to wine, but will try this one.

it is a nice sunny day here in the Hilton Head area.  I may actually go to the pool this afternoon for a change.  

I hope everyone stays well and safe.  

God bless,

Terri

• Like 18

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

Great combination of days although I thought National Day of Prayer was yesterday?  We need all the prayers we can get and give these days.

B8EE346F-3319-443C-8FCE-C860FEC3DD1E.thumb.jpeg.a35b666f906559e07036f0b5526c999a.jpeg

We’ll happily celebrate National Tourism day longing for the time when we can welcome tourists and be tourists elsewhere. I need to stop fixating on when travel will be semi-normal again and calm down 😉 

A8F50DE4-127F-4DD7-8D53-294C2FB4631B.thumb.jpeg.c6d1200cf904e3e37cfda0d3a6b64c2d.jpeg

Love the quote by Cooley and the meal suggestion sounds good.  No instant pot but pretty sure it would work fine in a slow cooker.

Looking forward to the wine description. We sailed the Beagle Channel years ago and enjoyed it.  The sun is trying to come out thankfully.  Our deck is supposed to be cleaned, sanded, etc to prep for staining when it is safe to do so.

Prayers for those on the Care list & for those that need them and of 🥂 for those on the Celebratory list.

Have a great TGIF everyone!!!

0ADA838A-92A3-47AA-9FCF-59A53C7B6AEA.thumb.jpeg.00cb1b51d36a6902db2c55d608e83a6f.jpeg

Stay safe and please don’t forget your masks 😷 

• Like 29
  • Haha 1

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Great combo of days, though have made every day an International day of prayer. 

Roy, thank you for keeping our lists. Do you need someone to cover for you starting on the 14th? If you do, please let me know. My email is annge3@gmail.com. I promise not to confuse the lists with the wine du jour!  Morning Dailyites & my Sisters. Interesting quote. Pass on the drink & meal. A bit cooler today, and another gorgeous morning. Lots of deer passing through this morning. We definitely have a green light for Iceland, so I am starting to believe it is going to happen. At last count, there were fewer than 7,000 COVID-19 cases in the entire country. Clearly they managed the pandemic very well. Zumba this morning, then need to get estimates to remove a dead palm tree before hurricane season starts. And since there are no T-storms to dodge, Bindi will get a long walk in today!

Prayers for all who need our support. Sandi extra prayers for your Sister’s surgery today. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

The everyday consumer likes this dry white. I only found a bit of info about it, but an older vintage has a very good rating. I did not find a review of the current releases, but several consumers mention that it is medium bodied, so perhaps not as light as the average Chenin Blanc. A few online distributors with prices starting at $14.49. I would definitely like to try this one.

Winemaker Notes

Big Easy Chenin Blanc is loaded with ripe mandarin and lime on the nose, leading to notes of early spring jasmine and cling peaches. The tropical palate is richly textured with hints of wild herbs and Indian spice, adding complexity and good depth. It is medium-bodied and unhindered by oak giving a lively fruit structure and soft and easy finish.

• Like 24

First, thank you @cat shepardfor your wishes for sister.  Surgery begins in 30 minutes.🙏

It's brisk here this morning and today's high will be only about 66 degrees.  Thanks to Rich for our Daily and the special days to celebrate.  Prayer is very appropriate today especially!

The pot roast looks good.  Too bad I don't have an instant pot to test that recipe.  Will stick with the crock pot, also known as the slow cooker.  

I've been to Beagle Channel about 4 times, every time we've been to South America and/or Antarctica.  I will see if there are any exceptional photos to share with everyone.  Or maybe just really cool photos will do.  

Thanks @rafinmdfor having my sister on the care list today.  I appreciate everyone's support here so much.  

• Like 24

Good  morning from  a  cool and  sunny  area. Tubas, prayers  and  tourism are  all  to  be  celebrated gladly. DSIL  said  there  were  many  more  people  in  midtown  Manhattan  yesterday when  he  went  into  his  office  briefly. He  took the  subway  and  said  it  was fine,everyone  wearing  masks  and  not  too  crowded.  The prospects  of  midtown  street  parking  are  about  zero  at  any  time.

I  have  made  the recipe  in  my  slow  cooker( known  in  this  house as  a  "crackpot") and  using  a  packet  of  dry  ranch  dressing as  well  as  the  dry  onion  soup. It is  quite delicious!  The  Instapot

would  be  a  time saver.

@St Louis Cruiser,  your  sister  is  in  my  prayers,I  hope  all  goes  well.      Terry

• Like 18

Good Morning Everyone from a bright but cool day at the beach.

Great collection of days. I pray daily and hope to be a tourist again. Was suppose to go to the Beagle chanel on our cancelled S America/Antarctica trip. It is back on the list. Would love to see pictures!

St Louis Cruisers-  thinking of you and your family this AM. Waiting to hear the good news.

DD and DS both scheduled for 2nd shots today. Yeah!

Off to water aerobics.

Stay safe and enjoy today.

• Like 16

29 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Do you need someone to cover for you starting on the 14th?

Very thoughtful of you, Cat.  It’s covered 😉 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Good morning Rich. Thank you for the Daily and Fleet report. I'm getting excited hearing about fellow Daily-ites bookings. I hope all of them set sail!

Roy extra prayers going out to you and all folks on the prayer list. Praying St Louis Sal gets the right drug and praying Sandi's sis pulls through surgery.

Had a fun night playing Mahjongg, then sitting out on our patio with my sweet husband listening to the birds getting their evening fix at the feeders. I don't know what's going on,  but one of the platform feeders end up with all the seed emptied on the ground. I check it before bed and the seed is there. By morning day light, it's on the grass.. 

Ann that's sweet of you to offer to help Roy when he's recouping. Our west coast sister should be going home soon and perhaps we will see more of her on the Daily. 

National Day of Prayer. I do love to pray for people. 

image.png.39be8a6028db32e815f1ae363cac16a9.png

Blessings, Prayers and Cheers 

• Like 20
  • Haha 2

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Wow, yesterday we appreciated tourists, today we're touting tourism . . . . I'm seeing a trend here!  Tubas are great in a band - by themselves, not so much.  LOL  National Prayer Day - this community shows you don't need a special day to pray.

About tubas - when DH's children came to live with us, his DS was only 9 and a scrawny little guy.  He came home one day pulling a wagon with a huge suitcase on it, and to DH's surprise, it contained a tuba.  His son was told it was the only instrument left for the school band and he got it.  He couldn't even lift it by himself, so DH marched DS and the wagon right back to school only to discover the music teacher knew DH and had just pulled a great practical joke on him.  They returned a short time later carrying a clarinet.

Another nice day weather-wise coming up and we're starting to see buds happening on the trees in our area.  I love seeing the world wake up every year with new leaves, new birds, and new life.  We might take a drive to a couple of greenhouses that have just opened up to see what annuals they have in stock.

Great meal suggestion, one that I've made in the slow cooker (crock pot), but see it can be quickly put together if you have unexpected company (don't you miss those days?) in an instant pot.  I don't use ours often, but it's a recipe I'm going to keep in mind for a quick meal.  Like @smitty34877, I've added a pkt of dry ranch dressing mix to the pot and it is tres delicious!  Tonight however, is pizza night, so I'll check the list to see what looks good to order.  I might opt for the chicken/bacon/ranch that we had a few weeks ago, as it was quite tasty.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Saying extra right now for @StLouisCruiserssister who is in surgery, not only for her, but for the medical team working on her.  Extra prayers for Roy.  Clinking the glasses together to celebrate all on the happy list.  Stay safe, be well, wash your hands, wear your mask(s), and get your jabs!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 23
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone.  

Good reasons to celebrate today.  Anyone play the tuba in high school band?    As Roy said, we need prayers every day and with prayers and the vaccine, we can soon be tourists again.

@puppycanducruise I was wondering the same thing about using a slow cooker.  Weren't they once called crock pots?   And, are instant pots similar to a pressure cooker?

Today's meal is another with rave reviews.  I think that is all they allow on this site.

https://damndelicious.net/2020/06/06/instant-pot-mississippi-pot-roast/

Instant-Pot-Mississippi-Pot-RoastIMG_0380.jpg

Good morning all. Recipe looks good. Yes instant pot is a pressure cooker that can also do other things. Just faster than a slow cooker. Crock pot is a brand name of a slow cooker as is instant pot but not sure what I would call that generically, fast cooker? Decisions, decisions! 

• Like 14

I always enjoy a cool weather cruise, especially if there are glaciers to view.  Our first time in Beagle Channel was on Star Princess in 2012 (Rio de Janeiro to San Francisco).  We were denied entry to Ushuaia's harbor due to the fact we had visited Stanley, Falkland Islands.  This was the 30th anniversary year of their famous conflict.  Because of the harbor master's decision we spent the day cruising Beagle Channel in the daylight hours instead of evening and night time.  Two 2012 photos:enhance

enhance

That was quite a collection of glacier ice right at sea level.  I'll bet it began calving shortly after to relieve the pressure of the encroaching ice.

Star Princess served coffee and hot chocolate on deck that day.  We could listen to the destination expert over the loud speakers out there or slip inside to warm up.enhance

Next visit to Beagle Channel would have been our 2015 Ruby Princess cruise (Ft. Lauderdale to L.A. 49 days).  This time we were able to stop at Ushuaia, so our trip through the channel seeing the glaciers took place after departure.  We got up and down from the dinner table (late dining) and ran outside to take photos every 10 minutes or so.  Here is one of them.enhance

This glacier and waterfall photo was taken at nearly 9 pm.enhance

One exciting visit to Beagle Channel was our third time there on the Seabourn Quest in 2016 (Valparaiso, Chile to Buenos Aires, Argentina).  The day was Christmas Eve. The same glacier and waterfall from above, seen a year and a half later on the Quest in the early morning hours.enhance

Hopefully not much change!  

enhance

Photo taken from Seabourn video.

enhance

Hot chocolate was consumed on my balcony this cruise!enhance

Final visit was on Coral Princess in January 2020 (my latest cruise).  That one was from San Antonio, Chile to Buenos Aires, Argentina.  We left Ushuaia around 6 or 6:30 pm and 12 hours later we were viewing Cape Horn.  I have NO photos of the Beagle Channel from that cruise.  The last photo I took in Ushuaia was of another ship leaving for an expedition cruise to Antarctica.  In fact, it is actually named Expedition!  Cruisemapper says it hold 134 passengers and is located in the Mediterranean today. enhance

And here is the albatross monument at Cape Horn instead.  enhance

Edited by StLouisCruisers
spelling
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 1

I have a different Instant Pot recipe in mind: Creamy Dreamy Black Beans.

I did put my cat on a community prayer list when she was in the companion animal hospital at Cornell for radioactive-iodine therapy. It is a blessing to have one of the world's best veterinary schools only a short distance away.

I have a question. Is there a trend toward cruise itineraries with fewer ports of call? I was looking at cruises for 2023 and noticed several HAL itineraries in the Caribbean with only two ports of call, in addition to HMC, and one with just one. Then I noticed some on other cruise lines with fewer ports than in the past. I don't dislike sea days - I have a booking for a TPAC with only two port calls and many consecutive sea days - but I was surprised to see this in regions where cruises are usually port-intensive.

• Like 11

Good morning, all.  Thank you Rich and Roy and all who contribute.  Healing thoughts to those on the care list and lots of cheers to the celebratory list.

It’s a glorious morning here in Central Florida and is shaping up to be a perfect day for a round of golf this afternoon.

We have been to the Beagle Channel twice – first time was in December, 2013, when we did LA to Rio (‘round The Horn) on Golden Princess and stopped at Ushuaia.  We did a ship expedition to Tierra del Fuego.

Approaching Ushuaia via the Beagle Channel

_DSC0613.thumb.jpg.7c7b09956b37a17f643271545a2544b5.jpg

Quick snap of the harbor front street

IMG_0104_2.thumb.jpg.ad82ad62a8dd575528e598a0e2a53092.jpg

End of the world post office

_DSC0625.thumb.jpg.86414ffb228207ff5ec9f49fbdf28856.jpg

Taken from the post office area_DSC0626.thumb.jpg.16784befee318233445d9ef47b2c055f.jpg

_DSC0631.thumb.jpg.724aecf11b00934a76d0e8b45926e28a.jpg

Beagle beer!

IMG_0124.thumb.jpg.1d78a389562ff0dfb64d9980b47531ad.jpg

The second was in November, 2014, when we did Antarctica on the expedition ship Sea Spirit with Quark.  This time we stayed 2 nights pre-cruise in Ushuaia at Los Cauquenes Resort outside of town.

DSC00250.thumb.jpg.266ad9623088ae9c6a0220129490a186.jpg

Following are photos of the Beagle Channel taken from this sitting room at the resort

DSC00241.thumb.jpg.fba2af42c8f78fc780fa52f41624732d.jpg

DSC00249.thumb.jpg.5b1492a59e20a6b94af0399fe75a5f90.jpg

DSC00242.thumb.jpg.a97dc422476c4970f9f686835f2b1655.jpg

(airport to the left of tree)

DSC00259.thumb.jpg.a749142afb8f1ef237bdd1b616c4acb2.jpg

Nice way to end the day 🥃

DSC00267.thumb.jpg.1ebae34f4b8f22d4a6da2e07fc96e11a.jpg

• Like 28

Good morning, It's looking to be a warm sunny spring day.. 👍  All the days are worth celebrating.  Besides being good in an orchestra or band, tubas are a big part of a polka band.

An interesting quote, but I'd prefer to deal with just one obsession.  The meal sounds interesting, but we had pot roast in the Instant Pot last week.  I recently upgraded my Instant Pot from the original, and the new one is extremely easy to use.  They've gotten a lot of the bugs out of it.  I use mine to sauté, pressure cook and slow cook.  It will do a lot of other things that I really don't need.  The other good thing about it is it takes the place of at least two appliances.

Tonight, we will have cedar planked salmon, asparagus, salad and or course wine.  🍷

Will definitely skip the gin fizz, as I've never liked gin.

@StLouisCruisers Sending good thoughts for your DS and her medical team.

We've been through the Beagle Channel twice.  In 1999 we were on the Noordam from Valparaiso to Ft. Lauderdale, so all our pictures are "pre-historic".  In 2015, we were on the same Ruby Princes as @StLouisCruisers.  I'll look and see if I have any different pictures.

Lenda

• Like 16