Adventure of the Seas – The First Voyage

Thank you so much for this comprehensive report - read it every morning and again after dinner!  The pictures were great and I felt like I was there with you.  We’re sailing the AOS in August and I feel a little better prepared.  Again, sharing your cruise was much appreciated😊

2 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

I worked in the Cyber Security field.  Paranoia is an important trait.  To build on the previous answer, a USB port can make a power connection AND a data connection to your device.  Bad guys can do bad things with the data connection part.  A wall plug will only be for power.  Do a Google search on USB hack.  I'd never plug into an unknown USB port.  Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you. 😄

Back to Bird's final day. 😞

If you must plug into a USB port use protection. They have USB data blockers you plug in line. 

https://www.auslogics.com/en/articles/what-usb-data-blockers-are-worth-using/

Edited by death_star
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/17/2021 at 12:49 PM, Ocean Boy said:

I was thinking the same thing when I read that.

Royal has always offered private flow rider lessons;  what did you read that made you think something different?

Edited by AF-1

25 minutes ago, death_star said:

If you must plug into a USB port use protection. They have USB data blockers you plug in line. 

https://www.auslogics.com/en/articles/what-usb-data-blockers-are-worth-using/

so on the newer ships there are usb ports at the base of the lights next to the bed.  Are you saying don't plug into this device without using a blocker?

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

Departure timeline. 

7:55 Leave Stateroom

8:02 off ship and on bus to airport 

8:25 Arrive NAS

9:02 Check-in and bag drop complete (using airline Priority Check-in)

9:17 Through security 

9:22 Through US Immigrations and Customs and in terminal. The Bird used the Global Entry Kiosk. Add 10 minutes for the customs line. 

So,,, it was about 90 from stateroom to airport terminal using two priority short cuts. I would allow 2 to 2.5 hours for the entire process. 

There was no Bahamas immigrations anywhere in this process. The Bahamas immigration card was collected by the airlines. 

BA160D4A-D66E-4520-AA7E-C18295AA92D8.jpeg

6BCB69F5-3BC5-4B51-A20C-64B0BDA0DC2B.jpeg

4E73FD1E-5767-4D14-B8D9-CE4A6DC4C9B2.jpeg

70C20C87-C796-4C18-8A3A-394CB93D0692.jpeg

Thank you so much for this information!!!  I got my Global Entry card and then Covid arrived so I have been unable to use it. So happy to hear it expediates the process. Your patience and graciousness this week are commendable. I can't wait for July 24th !!!  Safe journey home!!!

6 minutes ago, Lorey2007 said:

I must have missed this what is this referring to?

It was referring to the spotlights used in Studio B for distanced dancing. The question that was asked was something along the lines of "is this seriously happening? And "is it due to covid restrictions" Bird answered yes and yes. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

Royal has always offered private flow rider lessons;  what did you read that made you think something different?

They won't let new standups try it during free time in order to protect the staff from the rider by avoiding physical contact but it is not important to protect the staff when the newbie is paying for the time. That was the point of the post I responded to. I know private lessons have been available in the past.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, read2learn said:

Thank you so much for this information!!!  I got my Global Entry card and then Covid arrived so I have been unable to use it. So happy to hear it expediates the process. Your patience and graciousness this week are commendable. I can't wait for July 24th !!!  Safe journey home!!!

Unfortunately even though I have Global, my traveling partners do not. 😩 Long lines for us unless they have Clear at the Nassau airport. 

Edited by HBCcruiser

58 minutes ago, misguy said:

Is there WiFi in the terminal

Yes. But from a cyber security perspective nothing is “free”. Especially “free Wi-Fi” at little port shops. Assume that all data is being scanned and sold. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

Are you saying don't plug into this device without using a blocker?

That plug should be fine, not only will it unlikely to have a data connection, it is unlikely RCI will want to hack your mobile device. 

• Like 2

Thank you so much for your live from report. I enjoyed reading it each day. I'm especially grateful for the dining room dinner menus. It has been a few years since we sailed RCL and I wanted to know what we had to look forward to in the MDR. I didn't see one for the last night. I know you were busy but I wonder if you have it and could post it? 

Again thank you for taking the time to share your cruise with us.

54 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

so on the newer ships there are usb ports at the base of the lights next to the bed.  Are you saying don't plug into this device without using a blocker?

12 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

That plug should be fine, not only will it unlikely to have a data connection, it is unlikely RCI will want to hack your mobile device. 

Naturally, everyone has their own level of threat tolerance, and an acceptable/negligible risk to some is not worth it to others. 

I would simply point out one detail: in a situation like this, from a cyber security perspective, it's seldom the entity itself (such as RCI) that poses the threat. It's the guy who was in the cabin before you, or the rogue employee who smuggled massive amounts of cocaine onto the ship. 😳

Edited by la_croisiere_s'amuse
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

If you want to be completely safe, use a power outlet instead.  There's risk in almost everything you do in life and I think the risk of a using a USB port on a cruise ship is less than in a public place like an airport.  Risk is the combination of the probability of something happening and the impact should it happen.  The probability of a USB port problem on a cruise ship is low.  You'd need to determine if that outweighs the impact of something on your phone getting compromised.

For those using the app, you can access the menu on your device long before the cruise.  It is funny that I haven't been able find the menu's when I am logged in managing my cruise.  I can find the menus for the specialty restaurants, but not the MDR.

20 minutes ago, misguy said:

For those using the app, you can access the menu on your device long before the cruise.  It is funny that I haven't been able find the menu's when I am logged in managing my cruise.  I can find the menus for the specialty restaurants, but not the MDR.

I look at the menus from other scheduled cruises as mine (Harmony March 2022) does not show menus yet.  I’ve looked at several ships’ menus and they are pretty consistent from ship to ship.  I have seen day 2 & 3 flip flop but the menus are the same.  Using Oasis, I can flip between CK & MDR to get an idea of where we want to eat each night.

Edited by poocher

1 hour ago, HBCcruiser said:

Unfortunately even though I have Global, my traveling partners do not. 😩 Long lines for us unless they have Clear at the Nassau airport. 

Clear helps you with security checkpoints at US airports. No Clear in the Bahamas. No United States TSA in the Bahamas. Combination of standard X-ray and magnetometers and advance screening. 

Global Entry will allow you to bypass the lines at US Immigrations and Customs at NAS airport.