Adventure of the Seas – The First Voyage

1 minute ago, LXA350 said:

Thanks, hope this will stay. At the end a real upgrade as it offers a much greater selection including cocktails etc.

I believe it will. Crowding in the lounge was a problem before. Now, with all the double points they are giving, it will only get worse.

34 minutes ago, JCDCA said:

How exceptionally bad was the wi-fi?  If one needed to work onboard - think email, Microsoft Word documents - how possible would this be?  Thanks.  

Email and [small] MS Word documents should be fine. 

We sail 3-5 times a year and the WiFi was no worse than most ships. The Bird kept up with photo uploads. We made WiFi telephone calls and FaceTime calls daily. 

It's satellite WiFi. You're sharing an internet connection with all of your fellow passengers and ship's operations. All of your data has to do a round-trip up 23000 miles to the satellite and back with the inherent latency. For realtime stuff like uploading photos, it will be at the speed of the link. For stuff like web surfing, the ship uses a cache server to provide you with a near-land experience. 

There were a couple of late nights when service was really slow (maybe ship's operations taking priority for bandwidth or the vloggers). And there was one night when there was a total outage from 11 pm to around 9 am the next morning. If you requested, the Voom manager provided a partial refund for the outage period. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, RoamingRetirees said:

I believe it will. Crowding in the lounge was a problem before. Now, with all the double points they are giving, it will only get worse.

No one received any points for 15 months. Double points will mostly just bring us to where we would have been anyway.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

58 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

Marlboro's are $6.77 in Cincinnati area

16 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I think cigarettes carry a high tax here but we do have reservations here out on eastern Long Island where they are supposedly cheap.

New York State tax on cigarettes is $4.35. NYC will add an extra $1.50 or $2.00, I think. So that is $6.50 right there & that does not include Federal tax. Other cities and towns around NY may add their own sin tax, all in an effort to "discourage smoking" and not to "raise revenue". Honest. LOL.

The $50 price quoted in the picture a few pages back is for a carton of cigarettes, not a pack. But the cartons are an odd size & I forget how many packs are in a cruise ship carton. But all my smoking friends and family would want me to load up of cartons from the ships store since it was so much cheaper than NY.  I don't smoke.

Native American  reservations are exempt from taxes. I know people that will make a day trip just to buy cigarettes.  Then again, I've been known to do the same to visit a good brewery or restaurant.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

New York State tax on cigarettes is $4.35. NYC will add an extra $1.50 or $2.00, I think. So that is $6.50 right there & that does not include Federal tax. Other cities and towns around NY may add their own sin tax, all in an effort to "discourage smoking" and not to "raise revenue". Honest. LOL.

The $50 price quoted in the picture a few pages back is for a carton of cigarettes, not a pack. But the cartons are an odd size & I forget how many packs are in a cruise ship carton. But all my smoking friends and family would want me to load up of cartons from the ships store since it was so much cheaper than NY.  I don't smoke.

Native American  reservations are exempt from taxes. I know people that will make a day trip just to buy cigarettes.  Then again, I've been known to do the same to visit a good brewery or restaurant.

I think Cigarettes are the only good deal on a cruise ship these days. Liquor prices aren't that great to bother with now that you can't carry them on the plane. The money you save can cost you a lot more in luggage weight. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Even the odd sized had 10 packs per carton.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/16/2021 at 10:47 AM, canwegonow said:

@BirdTravels thank you so much for all of your time and those amazing photos! We will be on the August 14 sailing, and we're a party of 3. I'm wondering how that will be accommodated in the theaters as all the seats seem to be in groups of 2. Are folks seating themselves or being seated by staff in the theaters? 

Hopefully by the time we sail the rules will have been relaxed, but if not I don't want to make others uncomfortable by sitting "too close" with our group.

My party had an odd number heading into the ice show so I...wait for it...sat next to a stranger.  Neither of us cared, but if all the seats weren't blocked, there could have been 10 seats between us....

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

You are only provided hard copy results. No email. The medical company asks for a few details (address, phone, email) to create a record for the test. 

This was one of the loopiest processes ever.  Yes, hard copy only to the stateroom.

If you try to log in to the portal, it will say No Results, even after receiving the email.  

And no, you don't have to go to Singapore to pick them up.  

3 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Liquor prices aren't that great to bother with now that you can't carry them on the plane. The money you save can cost you a lot more in luggage weight. 

Only people they are good for are the ones who drive to the port.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, boatseller said:

This was one of the loopiest processes ever.  Yes, hard copy only to the stateroom. If you try to log in to the portal, it will say No Results, even after receiving the email.  And no, you don't have to go to Singapore to pick them up.  

No loops. I think that it was VERY clear that test results would be delivered to your stateroom only and not electronically.

On 6/20/2021 at 10:53 AM, boatseller said:

This was one of the loopiest processes ever.  Yes, hard copy only to the stateroom.

If you try to log in to the portal, it will say No Results, even after receiving the email.  

And no, you don't have to go to Singapore to pick them up.  

You download the Trust One app from your app store and get your results in the app within the hour.

On 6/20/2021 at 7:43 AM, RoamingRetirees said:

OK. It will still create more D, D+ and P, so I believe it will create more crowding and need a solution.

There is already a solution, the drink coupons to use anywhere.

• Like 2

On 6/14/2021 at 4:24 PM, BirdTravels said:

The picnic food is a bit better than the hot dogs, hamburgers and BBQ chicken (and tacos) in the main buffets. 

Can’t decide on an appetizer? Have them all! this kinda replaces the salad bar which is closed due to COVID protocols. 

16C67C39-6FA7-4178-B7D0-BFEC7D73F6EA.thumb.jpeg.c93dcd725fc295bf0b733d9ed968c384.jpeg023714EC-C2B8-4B30-A35F-8E974F66A316.thumb.jpeg.36eccfb0c9820144bbc642dee810e7e5.jpegB340590E-DA3A-4E40-93FA-D0C6262C4764.thumb.jpeg.d5abc13eaccb399eec460d6b42a80abe.jpeg373CF256-6FB3-4A56-9A7F-12E15A0C4902.thumb.jpeg.c1974ee762be7482e8fd96753c14ca32.jpeg74B7BB9B-0C7E-41CA-957B-29E9C7CC62EB.thumb.jpeg.fcafc9b94381824ab43626bc4cda5f3a.jpegB03462D4-5CC2-4D6E-8B2B-66E72D5FEE74.thumb.jpeg.8eb29aef79164b6e538468e0617a8083.jpeg1C284209-1515-41D2-BABB-DB4C6F6F0BAB.thumb.jpeg.60b1df4cafe81eac5ef7ea250616c720.jpeg91313576-DFD9-4C06-A58C-F6AFB702AB51.thumb.jpeg.d259369b36101409ba7e524d9a36ce7c.jpeg

And if you want to skip the appetizers and do all the entrees.........

(asking for a friend)

• Like 1