The Daily for Sunday Jun 20, 2021

richwmn

Today is Father's Day, Finally Summer Day / Summer Solstice, and Ice Cream Soda Day

The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. - Bertrand Russell

Meal suggestion for today - Fried Rice Pineapple Boat

Drink of the Day - Dreamy Chocolate Winter

Wine of the day - J. Lohr 2016 Cuvée Pau Red (Paso Robles) Central Coast

Destination of the Day - Whitehorse Yukon

At Sea Pacific
Koningsdam Destination San Diego eta 06/21
Nieuw Amsterdam Drifting off Mexico

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

Great Stirrip Cay
Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

La Paz MX
Noordam Anchorage
Westerdam Anchorage
Zuiderdam Anchorage

Limassol CY
Eurodam

Scheveningen NL
Oosterdam North Sea Operations

Venice IT
Rotterdam

0620Europe.thumb.png.dc9fa6c0f14e6764578391cf859c4fbc.png

0620USA.thumb.png.c5ff20460363416aaa51f2faae21ff20.png

• Like 31
  • Thanks 5

Thank you for the Fathers Day Daily, Rich, and a great selection of days.  I love both the Russel quote and Whitehorse.  The meal sounds very nice.  My alternative is HAL Movie Theater popcorn, which I enjoyed on my Nieuw Statendam transatlantic.

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews

Garlictown difficutl recovery from arm surgery

Colorado wildfires

Strength for St.LouisCruiser (Friday-Sunday)

Champ crossing Rainbow Bridge

From the rotation:
Tana starting to deal with Pulmonary Fibrosis
Kakalina facing inoperable cancer
StLouisSal’s weakness and fall injuries

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Fathers

Front Line Health Care Workers

Jabs for HAL crew at Los Angeles, San Diego and Fort Lauderdale

Opal Lee

The first Bon Voyage of 2021

Dismomx5 fully vaccinated

Sam escaping fall injury

lindaler’s sister coming to visit

NextOne booking her sister on a cruise

OrchKids

St. Pete Cruiser on a road trip

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 30
  • Thanks 4

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

Happy Father's Day.

Great quote.

Looking forward to seeing the recipe for today's dinner suggestion.

Hope the wine and drink of the day are good too.

I haven't been to Whitehorse, DH was there years and years ago on a driving holiday.

Sending prayers for all on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Stay safe.

• Like 20

Happy Father's Day!  First day of Summer!  Love Ice Cream Soda's.

Great quote today.  Have had today's Meal at our local Chinese buffet.

Have been to today's destination.  Will have to hunt for photo's at it was in 2011.  Part of my first land/cruise with HAL.  Hooked me forever.

Prayers and virtual hugs for our care list.  Toasts and shout outs to our celebration list.

Dreamy Chocolate Winter:

6 oz of hot chocolate
1 oz of Irish cream
1 oz of Kahlua coffee liqueur
amaretto almond liqueur

Pour kahlua and irish cream into a heatproof cup with hot chocolate. Add amaretto, to taste. Stir, and serve.

Screen Shot 2021-06-20 at 7.08.19 AM.png

• Like 24
  • Thanks 3

Good morning Rich.  Thank you for the Daily Fleet report. Thanks to Roy for the Care and Shout Out lists. Thank to Summer Slope for telling us how to make the drink of the day and best wishes to al the dads on this Father's Day.

• Like 15

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Happy Father’s Day to all our Dads! How ironic is Summer Arriving with a Winter drink. Not sure when the last time I had an ice cream soda was.🤔

Thank you for our lists Roy! Morning Dailyite family. Rain from the storm in the Gulf greeted me this morning. But a lovely gentle rain. Normal Sunday routine here. Of pr to the gym early. I love Mr. Russell’s quote. I believe I have had today’s meal somewhere in my travels. And I will tuck today’s drink away until our two weeks of winter arrives next year. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

J. Lohr 2016 Cuvée Pau Red (Paso Robles)

Today’s red blend has excellent ratings, but is at the top of my budget range at $47.95. I will say that I have become a fan of a nice red blend. Winemaker Notes

#44 Wine Enthusiast Top 100 of 2020

This luxurious 2016 J. Lohr Cuvée PAU displays concentrated aromas of black currant and black cherry along with oak-inspired notes of anise, cedar and cigar box. Classic and oily on the palate, leaving cherry, plum, and granite on the finish. Open and decant an hour before serving for full expression.Delicious with grilled rosemary lamb chops, garlic mashed potatoes and roasted beets. Blend: 65% Cabernet Sauvignon, 21% Cabernet Franc, 13% Petit Verdot, 1% Malbec

WE95 Wine Enthusiast: This is a dense and detailed wine, starting with rich, inviting aromas of dark berries, cherries, cocoa, vanilla and mocha on the nose. Those lavish tones carry to the palate, which is framed by chiseled tannins. But the most intriguing aspects are the wild array of oregano and dried herbs that decorate the blackberry-jam and cherry-juice core.

JD90 Jeb Dunnuck: The 2016 Cuvee PAU is the Left Bank Bordeaux-styled release, and it's aged 18 months in barrels. Deep purple-colored, this medium-bodied, concentrated, nicely balanced effort has lots of classic Cabernet currant fruits as well as notes of lead pencil, dried earth, chocolate, and leather. It's a solid, textured, balanced Bordeaux blend that will keep for a decade.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our Sunday smile 🙂 

Happy to celebrate summer today and wishing all the Father’s a very Happy Father’s Day!

D52470DF-A325-4A03-8F14-026651F650C6.jpeg.88ce1850610c6de084a4f563d94b3e8b.jpeg

Love the Russell quote!  We’ll pass on the meal suggestion thanks.  We have left over lobster (yum) so DH can have lobster rolls or roast chicken - whichever he prefers.  It IS Father’s Day, after all 😉  And, since it’s Father’s Day:

57B463D2-F8EE-481B-AF5B-F121062F6F7A.thumb.jpeg.f66fce7f87fc6613659ad8db7fb66799.jpeg

My gardening plans went down the tubes yesterday with the rain. Only got a very little bit done.  I don’t mind working in a light rain but when it is pouring like it did yesterday, I bow out.  So, I’ll try again today.  

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Sunday & Father’s Day everyone!

A0D6601A-FBE6-4AF5-881C-CEA24245421D.thumb.jpeg.f6e02963ca73c2b913b8a45bf36aa1a6.jpeg

Stay safe and don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Good morning, everyone.

For the last two days they have promised thunder bumpers and a lot of rain.  We got, perhaps, 10 drops.  Today is supposed to be rain free.   As soon as I go out to walk the neighborhood the deluge will begin.

What a great group of days!   Dads should be honored every day, but it is nice to set aside one day to recognize what they have given us.   Enjoy the solstice as the days will begin getting shorter now.  It has been decades since I had an ice cream soda, but they sure were good.

Today's meal is indeed proper for the festivities of Summer Solstice.   It looks great, just too high in carbs for me.   

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/fried-rice-pineapple-boat-5270846

1763368868_FriedRicePineappleBoat.jpeg.e603790779f22f84d351d26d2decaea6.jpeg

• Like 28
  • Thanks 3

Good Morning. Happy Fathers Day to all the Dads. Enjoy the daylight on the longest day of the year - tomorrow the days begin to get shorter. I plan on spending a fair amount of time in the pool today.

I love the quote and the meal looks great.  Stay safe everyone.

• Like 19

Good morning everyone. Happy Father’s Day to all the dads out there. Mine has been gone since 1973, but I miss him everyday. Welcome to summer, my very favorite season.

My visit with Sam yesterday was great. He has a sense of humor back and enjoyed his earlier visit with our NY daughter who he hadn’t seen since December when she made an outdoor visit during the pandemic. We’re still no sure what our plans will be when he comes home, but he has another 10 days at least till he leaves the rehab, so we have time to evaluate his progress and figure it out.

Have a good day everyone.

Carol

• Like 32

Good morning everyone and Happy Father’s Day to all you dads.  Who could resist an ice cream soda on the first day of summer?  I really like the quote today great guidance for all.  Due to the amount of carbs in the bee’s knees that we consumed yesterday (each one well worth it) I’ll be taking a pass on today’s menu choice. Didn’t quite make it to Whitehorse as Carcross was as far as we got but I’m sure it must be very nice!  Prayers to all on our prayer list and cheers to everyone with a celebration especially you dads.

• Like 21

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY, to all the dads out there.  My father died in 1993 and DH's died in 1997, but we will still honor them today, and miss them everyday.   Will celebrate the summer solstice, and even though the days are getting shorter, the sun comes up a little later and goes down later for a few more weeks.  I'll pass on the ice cream soda and just have ice cream tonight.

Love the quote by Bertrand Russell.

@kazu  Why not wine and laughter being the best medicine.   Love the "Not-the-Mama" meme, and really loved the tv show.

@mamaofami Carol, so glad you had a good visit with Sam and that he has his sense of humor back.

Will pass on the meal suggestion as we are heading to Austin to visit our DDs and their guys today.  Our meal will be sandwiches that older DD and DSIL order from a local sandwich shop.  This will be the first Father's Day we've celebrated with the DDs in many years.  We usually go to Austin in May and often on Mother's Day.  It will be especially nice since we have not seen younger DD and her SO since May 2019 because of bad timing in 2019 and Covid since 2020.

I've been working on the attic most of last week, and we have a car load of things to take to the DDs whether they want them of not.  There is still a lot of their stuff in the attic, but they'll need to come here and go through the stuff.

We have been to Whitehorse many times since we have driven to Alaska seven times beginning in 1992, and gone there from Skagway several times on a cruise.  I found just a few pictures as most of my pictures of Whitehouse are pre-digital.

The worlds largest weather vane is at the airport outside the transportation museum.  And yes, it does turn with the wind.

IMG_2606.thumb.JPG.b8b877e41414e7275026958de2eaae68.JPG

The visitors center

P1000737.thumb.JPG.840b68f85f74b82ebb4ed557799e5cac.JPG

The Klondike, a Yukon River steamboat

IMG_2610.thumb.JPG.ca56376d1cdf18a6cd06cbcb755e2d80.JPG

The suspension bridge over the Yukon River just outside of Whitehorse

IMG_2697.thumb.JPG.bfb4cbf669714326b7e1816387d10ff4.JPG

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 33
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Happy Father's Day to all those who take on the role, whether you're a dad, step-dad, grandad, or uncle, or if you're a mom trying to play both roles, this day's for you.

Happy first day of summer - my favourite season!  It means sunshine, heat, greenery, flowers and birds of all kinds singing in our yard.  DH makes one of the best ice cream sodas - with lots of foam on top, which I love - and my favourite is with orange pop.

This morning we continue with our annual tradition on Father's Day of driving to a small rural cemetery about 1.5 hours from here and tend to the graves of those gone before us.  The number of people has dwindled over the years, but we can expect maybe 8 or 10 to show up to cut the grass, trim the trees, and clean up the general area before returning home.  It's a satisfying process, caring for the people who are responsible for us being here today.

I'm not sure about today's meal suggestion, but I LOVE Roy's idea of popcorn for dinner!  LOL  For us, we will be having leftovers from yesterday's "evening brunch" that DH's kids brought over - bacon, sausage, biscuits, croissant sandwiches, fruit salad, tiny oven roast potatoes, grilled asparagus, and berry crisp.  There was easily enough for 10 people (there were 5 of us), so we have lots of leftovers to enjoy.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Clinking the glasses together to celebrate all on the happy list.  Be well, stay safe, wash your hands and wear your masks.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry 

• Like 29

Good Morning from a warm yet another overcast day at the beach

Happy Fathers Day to all the Dads out there. I salute you.  Ice Cream sodas are a favorite, although have not had one for awhile. Perhaps today.  

Have not been to todays port. I am feeling a little deprived of all the ports I have not seen. Really time to get going again!

A strange thing has happened here. The new Carnival ship. " Mardi Gras" has become a tourist attraction. People are driving in from all over to see the ship.  It is amazing.   The restaurants at the port are booming. 

Stay safe and enjoy today

• Like 24

👍Thank You, Rich @richwmn for the Daily and to Roy @rafinmdfor the Care and Celebration Lists. 

We haven't been to the Yukon ( yet!) and appreciate the map from @Sir PMP showing distance. I'm sure there will be more photos posted later but thanks to @summer slope and @Quartzsite Cruiser for theirs. Again, cute memes from @kazu. So true @ger_77 about roles on Father's Day.😊

🙏 Prayers for all in need. 🙏 Continued healing for Sam, Carol @mamaofami.

Happy 1st day of summer!😎  

Katie

FB_IMG_1624193824848.jpg

FB_IMG_1624193642592.jpg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Rich for the Daily. Happy Father's Day to our Daily-ites. Love to my sisters. Thanks to all contributors!

image.png.5b51140c986bd96db1c266cf5b0fe356.png

Taking my sweet husband to lunch today. I'll bet $10 he orders fried oysters.

Sandi thinking of you and family. 

@kazu what is happening to my cilantro? It is producing flowers rather than leaves.  I cut it back a bit but little flowers grow back?

Wishing everyone a beautiful Sunday. Cheers,  blessings and prayers. 

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Happy  Father's  Day  to  all  the  dads  out  there. Yesterday  DSIL  took  us  out  for  ice  cream  and   DD  and  DH  actually   had  ice  cream  sodas. Everything  was  homemade  and  delicious. We  retreated  to  the  car  to  eat  as  it  was  broiling  hot  in  the  sun. Today  will  be  the  same  but  we  can  hide  under  the  umbrella  outdoors.

I  love  the  start  of  summer.  My  Swedish  grandparents  always  celebrated "Midsomer" after  emigrating here. It  was  a  wild  party  with  lots  of  delicious  food  and  as  a  child  I  loved  staying  up  as  late  as  I  could. My  fathers' family  was  from  Ireland  but  they  were  happy  to  come  to  the celebration as  well. My  brothers  and  I  all  learned Swedish  folk  dancing  as  children and  can  still do  a  few  rounds  at  a  wedding  or  other  celebration. I  loved  the  picture  of  the  DW  of @sailingdutchy, breaking  into  a  polka. I  would  have  done  the  same!

We  have  not  been  to   the  port  but  look  forward  to  pictures. It  is  as  if  we  are  able  to  travel all  over every  day  and  much  appreciated.  

Terry

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1