The Daily for Tuesday July 27, 2021

richwmn

Today is National Korean War Veterans Armistice Day, Cross Atlantic Communication Day, Bagpipe Appreciation Day, and Walk on Stilts Day

Life leaps like a geyser for those who drill through the rock of inertia. - Alexis Carrel

Meal suggestion for today - Sesame Chicken Bowls

Drink of the Day - Horse's Neck

Wine of the day - Sextant Zinfandel - California - Red

Destination of the Day - Aqaba (for Petra) Jordan

Ships with Passengers

Glacier Bay
Nieuw Amsterdam 18:00 - 22:00

Ships without Passengers

At Sea Pacific
Koningsdam Drifting
Westerdam Destination La Paz MX

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

Great Stirrup Cay
Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

La Paz MX
Noordam Anchorage

Long Beach
Zuiderdam Anchorage

Piraeus GR
Eurodam Anchorage

Scheveningen NL
Oosterdam Anchorage

Venice IT
Rotterdam

0727Europe.thumb.png.1c6dadd411c0d1f36d2435a7e1afc7ca.png

0727USA.thumb.png.e4a1e309bc5483873c571511bec046c4.png

• Like 28
  • Thanks 5

Good morning, everyone.

It is another glorious day in northeast Ohio.  Sunshine and mid 80s.  Ok, it could edge up towards 90.  

An update on the stained top saga:   soaking it in OxyClean bleached out some of the color, but not all and not evenly.  So now the top is a splotchy mess.  I jumped straight to the suggestion from @puppycanducruise and ordered a new one.  From now on, I wear a bib.

Today's meal sounds great, but I'll pass due to sugar content.  I'm thinking the orange marmalade is kind of a necessity to the recipe.  I've tried the sugar free varieties and they can be pretty awful.  I don't like sweet enough to go that route.  

https://damndelicious.net/2020/04/24/sesame-chicken-bowls/

Sesame-Chicken-BowlsIMG_0420.thumb.jpg.fee5bd1ce05dbce174d08f8881f0c4ee.jpg

I'm off to the pool and then out to lunch with a friend.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 4

Thank you for the Thursday Daily, Rich.  A great collection of days with a special salute to our Korean War Veterans.  With my Scottish heritage I appreciate bagpipes, and a special salute to @grapau27 and @VMax1700 on Cross Atlantic Communication day.  I was never good at walking on stilts.  I visited Aqaba just once on the Silver Whisper and Petra is one of my few special memories of that cruise.  I was also waitlisted on a the final segment of the 2021 Amsterdam World Cruise that would have visited Aqaba.  I like today's meal suggestion.  My alternative is Fruit Palette, Chilled Three Berry Ministrone, and Thai-Style Grilled Chicken as served on MS Prinsendam July 27, 2011.

Today’s care list:

RIP FF Thomas Royds last alarm 7/24/21
Welfare of furloughed crews
Garlictown difficutl recovery from arm surgery
Western wildfires
smitty34877's Miss Camilla in NICU(but gaining strength)
DurangoScots shelter manager in hospital (but out of ICU}
Cruising-along’s friend with breakthrough Covid
bennybear DSIL infection
JazzyV recovering from eye surgery
Ger_77's friend facing mastectomy
From the rotation:
Scout Jamie C recovering from major surgery
Kakalina recovering from radiation for aggressive cancer

Celebrations and Shoutouts

Nieuw Amsterdam in Glacier Bay
Front Line Health Care Workers
wandb’s sister doing well
4-day countdown for CrazyForCats
St. Pete Cruiser on a road trip
Seasick Sailor’s bees gone
Denise on her wilderness adventure
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 28
  • Thanks 5

Happy Tuesday.  I'm still jacked up over yesterday's sail in.  Makes getting back on a BHB ship more possible.  Interesting group of days.  I won't be getting on stilts anytime soon.  Unique quote, will have to think about that one.  Will skip the meal, not sure what is in the freezer.

Thank you for the daily Rich, can't wait to see the Rotterdam on the move.  Roy and Debbie, thank you for our dedication too.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and please continue to wear your mask.  Things are still not safe.

Horse's Neck:

A Horse's Neck is an American cocktail recognised by the IBA, identifiably sporting a long, curling strip of lemon rind. Wikipedia
Ingredients: 1 1/3 oz (1 part) Brandy, 1/8 oz Angostura bitter (optional), 4 oz (3 parts) Ginger ale
Preparation: Pour brandy and ginger ale directly into highball glass with ice cubes. Stir gently. Garnish with lemon zest. If desired, add dashes of Angostura Bitter.
Served: On the rocks; poured over ice
Standard garnish: Long spiral of lemon zest
Drinkware: Highball glass

Screen Shot 2021-07-27 at 6.53.09 AM.png

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

Good morning everyone and thanks for the daily report Rich.  A salute to all Korean War Vets.  I have visited the Marconi site on Cape Cod where the first trans Atlantic telegraph office was located. Bagpipes seem difficult to play.  Never mastered stilts but I recently learned that Lucille Ball was adept at them.  The meal suggestion sounds very good today.  I haven’t been to today’s port but my neighbor is from there, it looks very nice from what I have seen.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list today and cheers to all celebrating events today. 🥳 

• Like 18

15 minutes ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone.

It is another glorious day in northeast Ohio.  Sunshine and mid 80s.  Ok, it could edge up towards 90.  

An update on the stained top saga:   soaking it in OxyClean bleached out some of the color, but not all and not evenly.  So now the top is a splotchy mess.  I jumped straight to the suggestion from @puppycanducruise and ordered a new one.  From now on, I wear a bib.

Today's meal sounds great, but I'll pass due to sugar content.  I'm thinking the orange marmalade is kind of a necessity to the recipe.  I've tried the sugar free varieties and they can be pretty awful.  I don't like sweet enough to go that route.  

https://damndelicious.net/2020/04/24/sesame-chicken-bowls/

Sesame-Chicken-BowlsIMG_0420.thumb.jpg.fee5bd1ce05dbce174d08f8881f0c4ee.jpg

I'm off to the pool and then out to lunch with a friend.

We will be over 90 in the greater Chicago area.

• Like 3

Good morning and thanks for the Daily Report.

We've got a thunderstorm here, rain and a bit of lightning.  I hope it ends soon.

An interesting collection of days.  A salute to Korean Conflict Vets.  I enjoy listening to bagpipes.  I won't walk on stilts, I don't want to break anything.  Someday I hope to visit Signal Hill in Newfoundland where Samuel Morse received the first wireless transatlantic radio communication.

The meal sounds good.  Thanks for the recipe @dfish.  Sorry you had to buy a new top.

The drink of the day sounds interesting, hope the wine is good too.

I've never been to Petra - just seen it in the Indiana Jones movie.

Prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 23

17 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Thursday Daily, Rich.  A great collection of days with a special salute to our Korean War Veterans.  With my Scottish heritage I appreciate bagpipes, and a special salute to @grapau27 and @VMax1700 on Cross Atlantic Communication day.  I was never good at walking on stilts.  I visited Aqaba just once on the Silver Whisper and Petra is one of my few special memories of that cruise.  I was also waitlisted on a the final segment of the 2021 Amsterdam World Cruise that would have visited Aqaba.  I like today's meal suggestion.  My alternative is Fruit Palette, Chilled Three Berry Ministrone, and Thai-Style Grilled Chicken as served on MS Prinsendam July 27, 2011.

Today’s care list:

Western wildfires
bennybear DSIL infection
From the rotation:

and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thank you for both lists Roy.   Your memory from minus of various cruises amazes me each day.

• Like 5

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our Tuesday smile 🙂 

What a eclectic collection of days!  Love hearing bagpipes especially in Scotland or when we arrive on a BHB.  Wonderful to see our North Korea Veterans Armistice Day celebrated and appreciated 👍 

Great quote by Carrel.  Meal suggestion sounds good and we do have left over chicken but I’m thinking tacos or fajitas for tonight.

@dfishI don’t blame you for ceasing to fight the stains and just ordering a new top 😉 

It’s going to be a hot one today and sadly, the smoke has arrived and we have warnings about our air quality.  Going to have to be careful with ourselves and the dogs - it could get rough out there 😔 

2D2245D7-E62F-4439-A8C2-54DDB574A8F1.jpeg.dc15fdfe9c5488b3a656ea4f52f8335f.jpeg

While we have been to Israel and Jordan, we didn’t have today’s port on the itinerary for our trip.  Petra is amazing and we would have loved to have seen it.  I hope if anyone has been they share their experiences with us.

All the talk on the boards about the Navigator app and QR code’s got me thinking how much things have changed from when I was growing up (and, I’m sure most of you).

159AFB7C-435B-47BA-A61F-991CDBB80262.jpeg.ae40b0a9a0bd7f5a32f640168275db18.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Tuesday, everyone!

69FE940C-AB27-4B05-BD8C-75072A54722B.jpeg.207d48ef53131c08bf1bfafdc769961a.jpeg

Stay safe and don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 31
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Happy Tuesday.  I'm still jacked up over yesterday's sail in.  Makes getting back on a BHB ship more possible.  Interesting group of days.  I won't be getting on stilts anytime soon.  Unique quote, will have to think about that one.  Will skip the meal, not sure what is in the freezer.

Thank you for the daily Rich, can't wait to see the Rotterdam on the move.  Roy and Debbie, thank you for our dedication too.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and please continue to wear your mask.  Things are still not safe.

Horse's Neck:

A Horse's Neck is an American cocktail recognised by the IBA, identifiably sporting a long, curling strip of lemon rind. Wikipedia
Ingredients: 1 1/3 oz (1 part) Brandy, 1/8 oz Angostura bitter (optional), 4 oz (3 parts) Ginger ale
Preparation: Pour brandy and ginger ale directly into highball glass with ice cubes. Stir gently. Garnish with lemon zest. If desired, add dashes of Angostura Bitter.
Served: On the rocks; poured over ice
Standard garnish: Long spiral of lemon zest
Drinkware: Highball glass

Screen Shot 2021-07-27 at 6.53.09 AM.png

Thank you for the drink information.  I had never heard of this drink before.  It might be too sweet for me.

• Like 6

37 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Today’s care list:

Western wildfires
bennybear DSIL infection
From the rotation:

Roy

Thank you for your mention on cross Atlantic communication day Roy and for your care list's.

Thank you to Rich for today's daily.

A special salute to Korean war veterans today 

We like the sound of bagpipes especially on New year's Eve.

We have visited Gretna Green several times and often there is a Piper there when couples are getting married.

Today's meal sounds nice but don't know the drink.

I have never tried to walk on stilts.

We have never been to Jordan and looking forward to seeing photos.

It is currently sunny and 66°F here.

Best wishes to everyone on the care list's.

I hope everyone has a nice day.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 19

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily report.  Today’s meal suggestion sounds good and @dfishpictures make it look more appealing.  @kazuwe have the air advisory too.  It promises to be a hot day so the ac is on.  Today I’m working a half day, this afternoon I’m off to see the dental hygienist for my check up.  I’m following the live from thread with keen interest.  I hope everyone has a great day and that those on the NA continue to have a fun safe journey.

• Like 21

Good  morning. It looks  as  if  we  will  have  a  hot  day  here but  so  far  it  is  not  hazy. I spoke  to  DS  in New  Hampshire last  night  and  he  said the  skies  are  very  hazy  from  the  fires out  west. We  had  a  little  of  that  last  week  but  it  blew  away  with  several  thunderstorms.

It  is  a  good  collection  of  days  and  a  good  quote.  The  recipe  looks  good but  will  be  tried  another  day. I  did  make  the  vegetarian  lasagna   from  the  recipe  yesterday  and  NO  ONE  knew  they  had  tofu! It was  delicious. We  only  had  a  small  amount  leftover  as  our  almost  teenage  guest had  two  servings  that  were  fairly  large. It  was  nice  to  see  him  eat  so  well. Our  Tana  will  be  in  the  hospital  for  a  while and  he  has  been  understandably  moody. DSIL spends  extra  time  with  him once  he  is  free  from  work. They  both  love  video  games.

@Seasick Sailor, I  had  the  same  feeling  that  you  and  others  had  reading  the  cranky  comments  on Lisa's  Alaska report. I  scurried   back  over  here  where  things  are  quite  pleasant,thanks  very much!

I  look  forward  to  port  pictures  today.       Terry

• Like 21

Good morning all!

Doing more reading than writing here the last few days. We drove home from Branson MO on Sunday and yesterday I rode my scooter into church to help teach Vacation Bible School. Quite exhausting to be around 30+ kids from preschool age to 3rd grade, but so fun to watch. We were requiring masks for the kids (even the preschoolers) before our county reinstated our mask mandate (oh the angry pushback on that!). The kids are troopers, obviously used to wearing them from in person school. A few wore them under their nose (copying mom and dad perhaps) and only one little girl was unhappy and kept taking hers off. More singing today in a few hours.

Watching the Juneau webcam yesterday was so much fun. Those lucky dogs are in Glacier Bay today. Continued happy traveling, Nieuw Amsterdam!

An interesting collection of days. My brother-in-law who was a plasterer used stilts in his job, always impressed with that. For me? No thanks.

Always enjoy the offerings from our food and drink department. I am amazed at the vast list of cocktails concocted by bartenders over the years. Haven’t visited today’s port, looking forward to pictures.

Continued prayers to all on the care list🙏. And a big shoutout (and a toast) to the celebrations 🍷.

Haven’t had coffee yet, so that’s next on the agenda. After VBS today, DH and I are meeting friends for lunch, still a little nervous about restaurants even though our group is all vaccinated.

Take care,

St Louis Sal

• Like 25

Good Morning. Thanks for the daily and the lists. We talk a lot about WWII veterans and Vietnam veterans but often forget about the Korean War veterans. It is good to remember them with a special day.

Both Rich's and Roy's meal suggestions sound like winners. I enjoy California Zins and the drink looks interesting.

Everyone stay safe.

• Like 20

Good morning fellow Daily-ites! A beautiful morning here of 75. That will change and get into high 90's today.

Thank you Rich for the Fleet report/Daily. You are a busy bee!

We have been to the Edinburgh Military Tattoo or Homecoming twice. Love the bagpipes. At the end of each performance there's a lone piper standing atop the castles parapet who plays Amazing Grace. Brings a tear..

Last night was prime rib night at Wildfire. We had 18 total neighbors and all had prime rib. It was fun, and delicious! This afternoon we're meeting friends downtown for a late lunch. I'm thinking salad and fish.

Have a terrific day. Blessings, prayers and cheers!

image.png.b9954a9d285206d087058f43ab6cc317.png

• Like 25

Good morning everyone!  It's a sunny start to our day but I predict rain in the forecast going into tomorrow morning.  It rained when I headed to bed last night and it looks like it was about 1/2 inch.  I don't know what the actual numbers are but I would guess we are ahead of our usual rainfall totals so far this year.  Not a bad thing.  I wonder if all this inclement weather is bothering my lower back?  It's worse than usual this morning.  The aching wears off during the day usually but today may require some Advil or Tylenol.

A very diverse collection of days to celebrate today.  Not a stilt walker, appreciate bagpipers, am impressed with Atlantic communications, and respect those who fought for us in the Korean conflict.  But did you know today is National Chicken Finger Day?  I wish we had a Raising Cane's near us!

Today's menu suggestion looks good.  Thanks Debbie for the recipe and photo!  Thanks Rich for the great Daily today.  I'm looking forward to reading Lisa's Live From thread when I finish here.  Thanks also to Roy for the Care and Celebration lists.  The Care list is still long so more prayers for all.  I wish I had some good news to add but all I have to share today is DMIL fell out of bed again last night.  That happens a lot so they have her bed as low as it will go and have foam pads on the floor to cushion her.  She has never broken a bone in a fall so that is one positive thing.  Still spunky as ever!

We enjoyed a visit to Aqaba and Petra in October 2016 on the Emerald Princess.  We took a private tour with a roll call group and it was excellent.  Draining though with the heat so drink twice as much water as you think you should.  I nearly fainted at the end and had to plop down on the ground to prevent injury as we got back to the visitor center.  But I'd do it again in a heartbeat.  I'll collect some photos and post as soon as I can.

• Like 25

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! I honor all who fought in Korea and celebrate the armistice. Do crutches count as short stilts?

Roy thank you for keeping our lists! Morning Dailyite family. Yesterday’s air was so heavy with moisture it  weighed down on my skin.  Walking in a rain shower was delightful. Even she-who-hates-to-get-wet, did not mind it! If I didn’t want to get my cast wet, we would have kept going. Hoping for a bit more of a breeze today. 

Debbie, I might try today’s recipe with OJ, and I will hunt for a healthier thickening ingredient. Congratulations on your new top!

All of you dealing with fires and smoke from those fires, please stay safe. 

I have another visit to my atty to finalize my trust, POA, healthcare proxy etc…

Prayers to all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Sextant Zinfandel - California

This Central Coast Zinfandel was missing in action for quite a few years, but it reappeared in 2017.  It has very good ratings, and I found one online distributor offering it for $16.99.

Winemaker Notes

At Sextant Wines we are devoted to expanding the horizons of the Central Coast wine region by utilizing the unmatchable terroir with old world varietal selections. This allows us to grow grapes to their optimal maturity, creating unique wines of supreme quality. We know you will enjoy! 

Family History 

Proprietors Nancy and Craig Stoller have a deep-rooted history in the wine industry. The Stoller family founded Sunridge Nurseries in 1977 and is dedicated to producing the finest grape stock in the world. Craig is a third-generation vine grower following in his father’s footsteps. What sets Sunridge apart is their exclusive relationships with French, Portuguese, and Spanish institutions to import certified wine grape selections that can be traced back to the original mother vines in each of those countries. Today, Sunridge still uses some of the original grape rootstock Craig’s grandfather planted more than four decades ago. 

The Beginning 

Sunridge Nurseries’ slogan has always been “Where the vintage begins,” so developing wines from these high-quality clones was naturally the next step. In 2001, Nancy and Craig planted a certified vineyard increase block in Templeton. “The purpose of this particular vineyard was to show wine growers the potential for good wines from these clones,” says Craig. The Stollers planted the newest selections introduced by ENTAV, the highest governmental authority in France responsible for preserving the best wine grape clones, which they evaluated for their clonal differences. Three years later they began to utilize the grapes and made wines from the different clonal selections.

Today 

Visit Sextant at two distinct locations on the Central Coast. The Estate Winery is set among stunning views of the Paso Robles countryside on scenic 46 West and the Tasting Room and Gourmet Deli sit in the heart of the SLO wine trail at the historic Old Edna townsite. Both offer reserve tastings complete with exquisite service and knowledgeable staff. Take your experience a step further and join the wine club to access exclusive benefits including private events and members-only wines. From vines to wines, the Stollers’ story has come full circle as they have combined their passion for fine wine with their love of the ocean in creating Sextant Wines.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 29

Thanks for the daily. Flew into Jordon one time to pick up our ambassador and as a crew member got to see the King and his family who were seeing the ambassador off.

Another hot and humid day! Living in Florida it is what it is. MUGGY!

• Like 22