New Bahamas Vax Requirements

ADunk

6 hours ago, dswallow said:

At the exit they need to install those trap doors they use to enter most of the water slides these days. Then when the machine goes bloop and refuses to allow you to exit it just drops you directly into the bowels of the ship and lets others keep moving.

People pay extra to see those parts of the ship. RCI isn't letting you down there for free.😇

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

8 hours ago, atgood said:

What would be the harm in letting an unvax’d person sail, but not get off the ship in Nassau?

6 hours ago, atgood said:

Isn’t it hypocritical for Bahamas to disallow an unvaccinated cruiser to visit for a few hours, but allow to unvaccinated tourists to come and stay on the island?  It doesn’t make sense. 

Their country, their rules I guess.  

The bolded statement above says it all. 

• Like 3

Cruisers spend one day on an island and pose just as great a threat as someone who comes and stays for a week, spending money right there on the island all 7 days, boosting the economy for more than several hours.  I can understand the Bahamas choosing to allow those who stay for days versus those who visit for several hours.  I feel bad for these islands that are stuck between a rock and a hard place, trying to find a balance.    

22 minutes ago, barbeyg said:

Cruisers spend one day on an island and pose just as great a threat as someone who comes and stays for a week, spending money right there on the island all 7 days, boosting the economy for more than several hours.  I can understand the Bahamas choosing to allow those who stay for days versus those who visit for several hours.  I feel bad for these islands that are stuck between a rock and a hard place, trying to find a balance.    

It's all about risk/ benefit analysis. Those that stay on the islands for multiple days pump substantially more money into the island, then a cruise ship tourist does. Requiring vaccines helps reduce the risk for the island, while allowing for some revenue.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, smplybcause said:

Doesn't matter. A country can do practically anything it wants with restricting who can come in.

So that means practically any Florida cruise needs to be vax only for Royal. There's some Tampa cruises that don't go to Bahamas but I think even most western ones stop at coco. 

I SO hope that before my Feb cruise, they can require the vax for cruises out of FL!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bjlaac said:

There's too many mixed messages and the truth appears to be the CDC and medical profession just don't know.

Things change. The guidance changes. Best we can do is follow the current guidance and hope for the best. 

Current guidance is that cruising, with restrictions, is acceptable. Gd enough for me. 

• Like 1

IMHO the fact that vaccinated people can carry a full load of COVID unknowingly has created a major heath problem not only for the cruise industry but for society in general. Throw in some 'breakthrough cases' with the vaccinated and I feel the cruise industry has a crisis that so far it has no answer. With countries like Australia and New Zealand shutting down with just a handful of cases I also anticipate port options also disappearing. What a mess.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

The more complicated protocols become the higher the risk of something going wrong. Keep it simple... get vaxxed or don't get on the ship. No confusion.

Exactly the way it always should have been from the start.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Empehi said:

IMHO the fact that vaccinated people can carry a full load of COVID unknowingly has created a major heath problem not only for the cruise industry but for society in general. Throw in some 'breakthrough cases' with the vaccinated and I feel the cruise industry has a crisis that so far it has no answer. With countries like Australia and New Zealand shutting down with just a handful of cases I also anticipate port options also disappearing. What a mess.

All the more reason to require all on the ship be vaccinated instead of attempting to accommodate everyone and end up torpedoing themselves.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, barbeyg said:

You, however, are neglecting the port fees collected from each docking. The boost to the economy may not present in the same way as someone staying on the island but it is still, none the less, very real.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, zekekelso said:

Carnival is probably counting on the fact that alcohol kills germs to protect their passengers:)

I am counting on the fact that alcohol kills germs to protect myself also:)  Or at least it is a good excuse for that shot of rum in the morning coffee. (yes..sarcasm..I am vaxed)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

You, however, are neglecting the port fees collected from each docking. The boost to the economy may not present in the same way as someone staying on the island but it is still, none the less, very real.

That is definitely true. 🙂  However, the port fees collected for the passengers are lower right now due to the lower counts....except for Carnival.  And we have politicians making the rules as well.  Politicians never waste a good crisis.  😉

• Like 1

17 hours ago, mivama said:

Will there still be a requirement to take ship-only excursions on these islands?

I wonder about that as well. It would be great if RCI cancels that requirement. There are 5 of us on a Nov cruise, with one unvaxxed 10 yo, and we now MUST buy an RCI excursion, and that really adds up. I booked what I could (a mystery beach trip), but would still prefer just to go to a beach of our choice in an open air taxi-wagon.

2 hours ago, zekekelso said:

Carnival is probably counting on the fact that alcohol kills germs to protect their passengers:)

Ha! Curious to see a fun stat to see would be of COVID cases onboard, how many folks had drink packages or were drinking 😂

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

What problem would more vaccinations solve?

Iceland is 85%+ vaccinated and here's their COVID case count:

image.png.b1d646ea5e4896735032b5c987512b96.png

Biker, who will lock this thread the backhanded way.

Iceland had 104 cases yesterday. Population 356K. 85% vaccinated. 10 hospitalized. 

My county had 561 cases yesterday. Population 1.09M. 48% vaccinated. 551 ventilators in use. 

I'll take double the cases of post-vaccination breakthrough asymptomatic/light symptoms infections over pre- or unvaccinated cases with moderate to severe symptoms any time.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

It appears that RCI can't even fill reduced capacity ships and pricing is dropping. It might behoove them to worry about attracting adults. If they can't get adults then kids become a very moot point... at keast until RCI lets 10 year olds start booking on their own.

I'm perfectly happy to sail on a reduced capacity ship....already have done it on Celebrity Equinox..it was wonderful.  

• Like 1

I have spend almost a week in Nassau. They take Covid very seriously: masks and hand sanitizers in stores, masks in taxis, etc. When eating at a restaurant you either need to show proof of vaccination (photo is fine) or do an antigen test on the spot.

About 12% of local residents are vaccinated, the economy is decimated because of Covid. Last thing they need is another huge Covid outbreak.

I fully support and understand the Bahamian government.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, dswallow said:

At the exit they need to install those trap doors they use to enter most of the water slides these days. Then when the machine goes bloop and refuses to allow you to exit it just drops you directly into the bowels of the ship and lets others keep moving.

The visual just made me chuckle out loud.

29 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

So, for the conspiracy theorist out there, what are the chances that RCI or some other cruiseline, asked (or even paid) Bahamas to do this?

I don't doubt there were discussions behind the scenes but paid.... I don't think they would need to just tell the Bahamas gov that it wouldn't be a deterrent from making their ports of call.

• Like 1

The Adventure of the Seas was the first North American ship to sail for RCI. Passengers arriving in Nassau for the cruise had to fill out certain information for a Bahamian health visa and were tested before boarding and before debarking. The requirement that all passengers 12+ be vaccinated is a new step, but a realistic one given the rapid spread of the delta variant.

This added step is not the first move made by the Bahamian government to control the rising cases; it shows that not only land visitors, but cruise passengers as well need to be assessed.

Barb

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

So, for the conspiracy theorist out there, what are the chances that RCI or some other cruiseline, asked (or even paid) Bahamas to do this?

Slim and none, and Slim just left…

• Like 1