The Daily for Tuesday August 31, 2021

richwmn

Today is National Eat Outside Day, National Trail Mix Day, and Touch A Heart Tuesday

I'm like old wine. They don't bring me out very often - but I'm well preserved. - Rose Kennedy

Meal suggestion for today - Lancashire Hot Pot

Drink of the Day - Old Fashioned

Wine of the day - Franciscan Equilibrium White Blend - California - White

Destination of the Day - Ishigaki Island Japan

Ships with Passengers

Glacier Bay
Nieuw Amsterdam 18:00 - 22:00

Corfu, Greece
Eurodam 07:00 - 18:00

Ships without Passengers

At Sea Adriatic Sea
Rotterdam Destination Ijmuiden NL eta 9/10

At Sea Caribbean
Nieuw Statendam eta today

At Sea Pacific
Koningsdam Destination Long Beach eta today

Augusta IT
Volendam

Corfu GR
Zaandam

Ensenada MX
Zuiderdam

Los Angeles
Noordam

Puerto Vallarta MX
Westerdam Anchorage

Scheveningen NL
Oosterdam Anchorage

0831World.thumb.png.ecc1a1fab6cf3cc08ba91936089aac59.png

• Like 31
  • Thanks 9

A request please. Particularly in these changing times it is difficult to keep up with schedule changes. Originally, Eurodam was scheduled to be in Kotor, Montenegro today. She is in Corfu, Greece. I missed the change.

If anyone sees a schedule change, please mention it on the daily thread or send me an email.

Thanks

• Like 21
  • Thanks 8

Good morning everyone and thanks for the daily report Rich.  The weather looks like a nice day to eat outdoors today although you can have my trail mix.  Let’s all touch a heart today, it isn’t very hard to do.  Funny quote by Rose Kennedy.  The meal suggestion sounds very nice as does an old fashioned.  I haven’t been to today’s port so will have to experience it through the photos.  Prayers for everyone in need and cheers to everyone celebrating a happy event today. 

• Like 22

Thank you for the last Daily of August, Rich.  Three great days; I've been eating outside a lot for the last year, primarily at Panera's outdoor tables.I love the Rose Kennedy quote but will wait to see what @dfish has to say about the meal.  I've been to quite a few ports in Japan, primarily on my 2017 Amsterdam Grand Asia  segment but not Ishigaki Island.

Today’s care list:

Those affected by the Kabul bombing, heroes, victims, those still doing their jobs, and those awaiting evacuation
RIP Ed Asner
Welfare of furloughed crews
Western (Especially BC) wildfires
cat shepard’s friend undergoing chemo for stage four cancer
Those left behind in Afghanistan
New Zealand continuing outbreak
JAM37 DH fighting Covid
Those in the path  and wake of Ida
Grapau27's Vicar
HAL Sailor DH health issues
From the rotation:
Krazy Kruizer DH Joe
Me awaiting PET test results

Celebrations and Shoutouts

2 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers
4 Days for Atexsix, dobiemom, Lafnvegas, and Richwmn
Norsheh20 Nephew and unit safe
Tioga Cruiser on a road trip
Sam and Carol raising GREAT kids
Upsells for Dfish, Cruising-along and Ancient Wanderer
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 32
  • Thanks 6

Good morning and thanks for the Daily Report.

Interesting collection of days.  It's supposed to be a lovely summer day here, a good day to eat outside.  I like trail mix.  "Touch a Heart"  sounds like it should be everyday.  Thanks for the reminder.

Very funny quote from Rose Kennedy.

I think the meal suggestion would be good on a cool fall day.

The drink of the day sounds good to me, wish I was on a BHB sipping one.  Hope the wine is good too.

Prayers to everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Stay safe.

• Like 24

Good morning all and thanks for the daily information.  With humidity still crazy high, I think we'll skip eating outside.  Trail mix (minus raisins) was always a favorite during my backpacking days.  Love Touch a Heart Tuesday, I'm inspired to find a way to make someone's day today.

Curious about the meal - similar to a pot pie, perhaps?  Love a nice white wine blend for a nice summer afternoon.

Finally heard from a friend of mine who lives in New Orleans late last night.  He and his family were incredibly lucky, with some damage to homes but nothing catastrophic.  It's bad down there...very bad.  Katrina was supposed to be that 'once in a lifetime' storm, and here we are sixteen years later and they get it again.  Still a long way to go in hurricane season...keep praying for them.

Hope everyone has a good day!

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Thanks to all. Getting ready to head to airport for flights home to Florida. Will be a little bit of difference in temperature as it’s 52 F in Michigan this morning.

You must be in Northern Michigan!

• Like 6

Good morning, everyone!

It looks like a cloudy day here in northeast Ohio, but the temps will be lower along with the humidity.  I'll take it.  Since I cut out my gym/pool visits prior to my cruise, I am doing laps around the block.  I did three yesterday morning.  Today I am aiming for 4.  I want to gradually increase that number.   

@msmayorI am so happy to know you have heard from your friend in New Orleans.  It has to be a very difficult time for anyone who has family or friends in that area.  

Today's meal must be for @grapau27 Graham and Pauline.   I found a couple recipes for it and I'll let you decide.  All recipes use lamb or mutton.  Some include kidneys.   

The History of Traditional Lancashire Hotpot

Lancashire Hotpot is thought to have originated during the cotton industry in the 19th century.  It's a simple meal that would have been left to cook slowly all day, ready for the hungry cotton workers at the end of their shift.  It was probably more likely to have contained mutton in those days, and would invariably have been left to cook with a lamb bone still in the dish - for added flavour.  The meat was often bulked out more with oysters - which were very cheap in the 19th century.

Not sure I fancy recreating the oyster version (only tried oysters once and it was not a pleasant experience).

There are a few variations out there: some made without stock, some with carrots, some with oysters and/or kidneys.  However, nearly every recipe does agree that this is a dish made with lamb, butter, onions and layers of potatoes.

The kidney recipe:   https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/lancashire-hotpot

2119533692_Lancashirehotpotwithkidney.jpg.53cea83d60ff631672c444902ad3ab9b.jpg

And without kidney:   https://www.kitchensanctuary.com/traditional-lancashire-hotpot/

1514075596_Lancashirehotpot.thumb.jpg.77b53f0811bb2ad0cdb68751c9b6095f.jpg

• Like 26
  • Thanks 7

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Interesting combination of days. 

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy! Morning Dailyite family! Pass on the meal! I still am working on my file project, since yesterday’s breezes made it a great walking day. Bindi & I logged in a couple of miles. 

The appliance gremlin may be visiting Florida. My dishwasher stopped during the drying cycle. Nothing I tried gets it to start up. So my appliance guru will check things out this afternoon. I will say that if something is going to go, at least it is something for which I have a manual workaround. I do quite a few things by hand, so what’s a few more. Hoping it’s an easy fix.

Not sure what I will be doing for supper. If the breeze holds, I may eat outside. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Franciscan Equilibrium White Blend

This Napa white blend has very good - excellent reviews. This sounds like an excellent sipping wine! Several online distributors with prices starting at $18.99. I need to look for this one. 

Review

VARIETAL COMPOSITION: 72% Sauvignon Blanc, 17% Chardonnay,

11% Muscat

Appearance: Pale Straw

Aromas: A vibrant fruit-driven bouquet with highlights of bright passion fruit, guava, and white peach, accented with hints of citrus and lime blossom. Floral notes of honeysuckle and jasmine balance the vibrancy of the ripe fruit aromas.

Flavors: A clean, crisp opening gives way to a full, round body on the palate. Nectarine and stone fruits give the wine a fruit-forward profile finishing with floral and citrus notes. The finish lingers and leaves you wanting more.
WINEMAKER'S NOTES: Our Equilibrium white blend is a rich, fun, and unique wine thats easy to enjoy. The name Equilibrium means to come together in a state of harmonious balance. With this in mind, our winemakers crafted a unique expression of artisanal blending. Crisp mouthfeel showing bright floral notes along with refreshing pear and white peach flavors, Equilibrium is an ensemble of Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, and Muscat. The perception of sweetness enables it to pair beautifully with a range of foods, from spicy barbeque to Thai and other Asian cuisines.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 3

Good morning everyone. The good news is that Sam is home with no sign of a heart attack.All tests were negative including a CAT, blood work, Stress test and I can’t remember what else. They don’t know why he had pain for two hours, but if it happens again they will do a cardiac cath. 

In the line of what could go wrong next, my refrigerator freezer is broken and needs a linear compressor or a new one. When LG opens, central,time, I will see if the 6 year old appliance is still under warranty and decide if I need to buy a new one. 

Our new aide comes in an hour and the old one is leaving. Really sorry to see her go.

Stay safe everyone.

Carol

• Like 30
  • Thanks 3

Good Morning. Thanks for the daily and the lists. Nice collection of days.It's a little too ot to be eating outside here and it is always good to make a difference in someone's life by touching their heart.

Old Fashion was my Dad's favorite cocktail.

Ida did lots of damage and it is still a dangerous situation in many places. So please stay safe everyone.

• Like 20

Good morning!  Pretty gloomy here and according to radar we are in for it today.  Rain expected all day with a few dry minutes at 2 pm.  😂  I hope we don't get more than 2 inches.  Lots better than our poor citizens in Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennessee, etc. with their power outages, wind and water damage.  Prayers for all who lost their lives during Ida and in Afghanistan.

I don't think there's any chance we'll be eating outside today.  I enjoy trail mix, and touch a heart day sounds like a great cause.  I think I'll call neighbor Brenda and check on her.  We'd like to get together for coffee (she drinks it, I don't but who cares!), but we are trying to all remain apart for the time being.

Cute quote by Rose Kennedy.  I think I'll pass on the Lancashire Hot Pot.  An Old Fashioned sounds like a drink @Himselfsaid he enjoys.

@mamaofamigood luck with your new aide and I hope the freezer is repairable.  Sure hope there's no more appliance breakdowns in our futures.

I haven't been to Ishigaki Island, Japan either.  I'd be happy to see any photos our Dailyites have of their visits there.  

Have a great day, and fingers crossed power remains on here.  

• Like 23

Thank you for today's daily and care reports Rich and Roy.

Good afternoon It is 55°F and raining here.

We like to eat out when we are staying away from home.

Lancashire hot pot is nice but as we live 200 miles from Lancashire it is not local to us.

Touch a heart should be every day.

Interesting quote.

Nice wine of the day.

We have never been to Japan so looking forward to seeing photos.

Prayers for everyone on the care list.

Take care everyone and stay safe.😷.

Graham.

IMG_20210827_095134.jpg

IMG_20190214_151604.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 27