LAFFNVEGAS "LIVE" from the Nieuw Amsterdam/The Return.... Part Two

LAFFNVEGAS

1 hour ago, atexsix said:

Rough seas during the night and into today, it woke us both around 3am. It's a bit better but still hard to walk for Dad, so we had breakfast in our room, and enjoying a lazy Sunday morning.

Saw a school of dolphins or at least some type of porpoise. We're pretty clouded up so no mountains off in the distance.

Internet has been good for us, we're on deck 7 aft, starboard side, I expected a lot worse after everything I heard.

I was similarly surprised but it seemed pretty good until we got north of Vancouver Island and particularly when surrounded by mountains. Hopefully they have straightened things out

• Like 2

Below is copied from what I wrote on Facebook Saturday, I am still having problems with internet and Cruise Critic. I did finally get an invitation late last night to today’s 4 and 5 Star Mariner cocktail party. Was actually very crowded on both sides . But did talk with Captain Baijens as well as Mark Pells Hotel Manager who I had not seen in years.

Good Evening from the Beautiful MS Nieuw Amsterdam. 
I have benn trying to log into Cruise Critic for my live From report and it kicked me out and it won’t log in. Have no idea is it is CC or Hal’s painfully slow internet. So I will write a brief report here on Facebook. 
It was a very good first day, check in process has definitely changed from the very first week but that is not surprising with all the changes. It was actually quite efficient.
After we got off the bus the first check at the door was asking if we had passports, vaccination cards and proof of negative covid test. They had this broke dow to those that were Priority which was 4 and 5 star Mariners and those in Neptune and Pinnacle Suite, there was also a line for handicapped and then general boarding. Since we were in a Neptune Suite and also 4 Star Mariners we went to the Priority line. This was just to verify that your information required was what was needed. They were extremely thorough in checking this. They then let you through to go upstairs for check in. Again was the same sections for final check in which we went to priority line. The screening checks your facial recognition that also scans a temperature check. For both Tom and I it recognized us and I believe it was our pictures from the July cruise that popped up. They then scanned our passport and sent us off to board the ship. This all took less than 15 minutes. We were stepping over the gangway to the ship at exactly 11:55 am.

We then headed to our suite 7070 on the Rotterdam Deck. A very nicely appointed suite. Then headed down to the Suite Lounge to have the Concierge assist in getting our dining reservations straightened out with Sher and Marcia and Sher’s Son and his friend. Once that was done headed to the Lido. In all my many cruises this was by far the best overall embarkation lunch. They had Prime Rib that was probably the best Prime Rib I have had on a ship. Actually far better than many restaurants. Then of course had to have the Peanut Butter Silk Pie and a glass of Riesling. 
Marcia and Sher have a cabana so I sat with them and had lunch in the cabana.

Next up was the expedited Life Boat Drill, where you check in at the Life Boat area either Port or Starboard side depending on where you are assigned . They scan you key card, they have a few words to say about your life boat section and to watch the video in your stateroom and then your done.

Then back to our suite where our luggage had arrived and we quickly unpacked and had everything hung up and put away. Having been in these suites many times we know exactly where we will put everything.

This evening the 6 of us ate in Tamarind. Service was excellent as always as well as the food and drinks.

Tom and I decided to call it a night and head back to our cabin.

It was a great first day on board. I feel like the number of passengers was about the same as when we were here in July but I should have info on numbers tomorrow.

Those after the first week stated that there was again a Mariner reception for 4 and 5 Star Mariners on the first sea day. But again no invitation this evening for anything 

Unable to upload photos 😏

• Like 15

12 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Unable to upload photos

If you want me to upload them for you from FB, I can 😉   Completely up to you.  

enjoying your reports and thank heavens on the invite 👍 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Below is copied from what I wrote on Facebook Saturday, I am still having problems with internet and Cruise Critic. I did finally get an invitation late last night to today’s 4 and 5 Star Mariner cocktail party. Was actually very crowded on both sides . But did talk with Captain Baijens as well as Mark Pells Hotel Manager who I had not seen in years.

I have benn trying to log into Cruise Critic for my live From report and it kicked me out and it won’t log in. Have no idea is it is CC or Hal’s painfully slow internet. So I will write a brief report here on Facebook. 
It was a very good first day, check in process has definitely changed from the very first week but that is not surprising with all the changes. It was actually quite efficient.
After we got off the bus the first check at the door was asking if we had passports, vaccination cards and proof of negative covid test. They had this broke dow to those that were Priority which was 4 and 5 star Mariners and those in Neptune and Pinnacle Suite, there was also a line for handicapped and then general boarding. Since we were in a Neptune Suite and also 4 Star Mariners we went to the Priority line. This was just to verify that your information required was what was needed. They were extremely thorough in checking this. They then let you through to go upstairs for check in. Again was the same sections for final check in which we went to priority line. The screening checks your facial recognition that also scans a temperature check. For both Tom and I it recognized us and I believe it was our pictures from the July cruise that popped up. They then scanned our passport and sent us off to board the ship. This all took less than 15 minutes. We were stepping over the gangway to the ship at exactly 11:55 am.

We then headed to our suite 7070 on the Rotterdam Deck. A very nicely appointed suite. Then headed down to the Suite Lounge to have the Concierge assist in getting our dining reservations straightened out with Sher and Marcia and Sher’s Son and his friend. Once that was done headed to the Lido. In all my many cruises this was by far the best overall embarkation lunch. They had Prime Rib that was probably the best Prime Rib I have had on a ship. Actually far better than many restaurants. Then of course had to have the Peanut Butter Silk Pie and a glass of Riesling. 

Next up was the expedited Life Boat Drill, where you check in at the Life Boat area either Port or Starboard side depending on where you are assigned . They scan you key card, they have a few words to say about your life boat section and to watch the video in your stateroom and then your done.

Then back to our suite where our luggage had arrived and we quickly unpacked and had everything hung up and put away. Having been in these suites many times we know exactly where we will put everything.

This evening the 6 of us ate in Tamarind. Service was excellent as always as well as the food and drinks.

It was a great first day on board. I feel like the number of passengers was about the same as when we were here in July but I should have info on numbers tomorrow.

Those after the first week stated that there was again a Mariner reception for 4 and 5 Star Mariners on the first sea day. But again no invitation this evening for anything 

Appreciate you taking time the precious time on a seven day cruise and sharing your cruise experience. Thanks!👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Say hi to Hector for us and remind him we’ll be seeing him in San Diego.

Bruce & Sue

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

But did talk with ... Mark Pells Hotel Manager who I had not seen in years.

We sailed on Noordam in the fall of 2019 with Mark - 40 days Vancouver to Auckland.  We got to know him well from the 2 M&Ms I organized and then running into him on the ship at least once a day.  He shared some "interesting" stories about working on Pride of America in Hawaii for several years.  We both really appreciated his sense of humor!  Just a great guy!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, zelker said:

We sailed on Noordam in the fall of 2019 with Mark - 40 days Vancouver to Auckland.  We got to know him well from the 2 M&Ms I organized and then running into him on the ship at least once a day.  He shared some "interesting" stories about working on Pride of America in Hawaii for several years.  We both really appreciated his sense of humor!  Just a great guy!

Mark is great and the best HD we have ever experienced. He’s everywhere and his team always echoed Happy Ship atmosphere.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, silversneakers said:

If you use the HAL hotel do they still charge you for transportation to the Port?

The transportation to the port is included in the total fee for the hotel package. The package includes travel from the airport (we had a private limo assigned to us) to the hotel and travel from the hotel to the port. We had a large bus for that, but only about  20-30 people onboard.

(Oops!  Missed the first response!)

Edited by PSR
Updated
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, aliaschief said:

Mark is great and the best HD we have ever experienced. He’s everywhere and his team always echoed Happy Ship atmosphere.

There have been, and are, many Hotel Managers/Directors who exemplify the Tradition of Excellence/Signature of Excellence/whatever the slogan of the era may be.  Mr. Pells is one of those.  His last name escapes my memory, but Rene is a gentleman with whom I have sailed on a few cruises.  He is of that type of Mr. Pells.

How about a "blast from the past" in the Hotel Manager position?  Hans Dernison:  I have sailed with him on a couple of cruises, one of which was the 2002 Asia Pacific Cruise on the Volendam, a maiden voyage for her.  So many challenges that Captain Harris and he encountered (i.e. running out of toilet paper and the shipping container to re-supply didn't reach the Volendam due to a dock strike on our West Coast.  Toilet paper had to be bought in China until a different supply could be obtained.)  

The ship's Senior Management is SO very important in determining, at least for me, one's cruise experience.  Good management = good cruise.  Not so good management = disappointing cruise.  And, I have had that experience on a 21 day HAL cruise.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

There have been, and are, many Hotel Managers/Directors who exemplify the Tradition of Excellence/Signature of Excellence/whatever the slogan of the era may be.  Mr. Pells is one of those.  His last name escapes my memory, but Rene is a gentleman with whom I have sailed on a few cruises.  He is of that type of Mr. Pells.

Do you mean Rene Tuinman?, if so, we met him on board the Volendam, believe he is the best Hotal Manager we have sailed with.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

How about a "blast from the past" in the Hotel Manager position?  Hans Dernison:  I have sailed with him on a couple of cruises, one of which was the 2002 Asia Pacific Cruise on the Volendam, a maiden voyage for her.  So many challenges that Captain Harris and he encountered (i.e. running out of toilet paper and the shipping container to re-supply didn't reach the Volendam due to a dock strike on our West Coast.  Toilet paper had to be bought in China until a different supply could be obtained.)  

The ship's Senior Management is SO very important in determining, at least for me, one's cruise experience.  Good management = good cruise.  Not so good management = disappointing cruise.  And, I have had that experience on a 21 day HAL cruise.  

Agree!  Senior management can make or break a cruise.   One Hotel Director we think the best is Colin Jacob.  Really over-the-top hard working, thoughtful, sincere.  Runs a tight ship and the crew work for him.  On the Westerdam he had a great bunch, Exc Chef, GRM, Exc Housekeeper and Assistant, Cul Ops and more  - they all worked together so well. He garnered a huge amount of respect and cooperation from his team.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, atexsix said:

Internet has been good for us, we're on deck 7 aft, starboard side, I expected a lot worse after everything I heard.

It was Monday morning when it started acting up on me. Hopefully they do have it figured out and you will be good to go.  I don't have it included with my 9/25 sailing and was not planning on buying it based off my experience a month ago. If it works well for you most of the week I may reconsider.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Brentt_M said:

It was Monday morning when it started acting up on me. Hopefully they do have it figured out and you will be good to go.  I don't have it included with my 9/25 sailing and was not planning on buying it based off my experience a month ago. If it works well for you most of the week I may reconsider.

We're just north of queen charlotte, and it's going strong.

• Like 1

On 9/6/2021 at 12:49 AM, USN59-79 said:

We have taken many long cruises on the Amsterdam and Henk Mensink as Hotel Manager and his wife Christel as Guest Relations Manager were always a great team.  

They are the best!  We were on with them on the Rotterdam B2B Panama Canal cruises last Feb/Mar.  They are such a great team.  Christel was out on the side of the ship helping us board tenders into Cabo San Lucas, and they both greeted the entertainers in the ports along the way.  At one point we had a momentary power failure on the ship--so the elevators stopped working.  Of course I was in the process of getting iced tea and taking it downstairs, spilled a little, and Christel saw it.  Within 15 mins. she had gotten another glass of tea and walked down herself to bring it to me--5-6 flights of stairs.  

We're on board the NA now; beautiful ship, wonderful cruise so far. 

• Like 4

16 hours ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

I love your reports Lisa.

• Like 1

Well, silly me!  I hadn't read the tread title carefully and just now realized this was a new sailing.  I've just read through it all.  I loved your Live From the first sailing and look forward to reading the rest of your report.

I'm now also reading everything I can find on the Eurodam sailings since I'm on her first (in November) and then NA (in December).  Can't wait!

• Like 1