The Daily for Wednesday November 03, 2021

richwmn

Today is Cliché Day, Housewife's Day, and Sandwich Day

Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. -- Abraham Lincoln

Meal suggestion for today - Stuffed Onions

Drink of the Day - Tom and Jerry

Wine of the day - Frescobaldi Nipozzano Chianti Riserva - Italy - Red

Destination of the Day - Miyako Japan

Ships with Passengers

Costa Maya
Nieuw Amsterdam Quintana Roo Mexico, Riviera Maya 08:00 - 18:00

Fort Lauderdale
Rotterdam FL US 07:00 - 16:00

Lisbon, Portugal
Eurodam 10:00 – 23:00

San Francisco, California
Koningsdam 07:00 - 24:00

Ships without Passengers

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

Great Stirrup Cay
Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

Long Beach CA US
Zuiderdam Anchorage

Los Angeles CA US
Noordam

Puerto Vallarta MX
Westerdam

Scheveningen NL
Oosterdam Anchorage

1103World.thumb.png.f38fe3b63e3e117f913e9389e9c10e85.png

• Like 27
  • Thanks 10

Morning all - appreciate The Daily with my first cup of coffee!

Never knew Cliche's had their own day.  Housewife Day?  Man...if I had known about THAT one all those years I was a stay-at-home mom I'd have made more noise!  Today, I'm the one heading out to the office every day and my now-retired husband takes care of those around-the-house tasks.  He loves being a househusband!  Will pass on Sandwich Day - trying to lose my covid pounds and staying as far away from breads as I can.

It will be a busy day of meetings and I'll look forward to catching up this evening with all of you.

Prayers to those in need, cheers to those celebrating...have a good day everyone.

• Like 29

Happy Wednesday everyone and thanks for the daily report Rich.  Fun collection of days today, I would love a ham and swiss on rye for lunch.  A very inspirational quote from Abraham Lincoln today.  The meal suggestion sounds very interesting, will have to wait for the recipe.  I haven’t been to today’s port and look forward to the photos.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list and cheers to everyone celebrating a happy event today. 

• Like 28

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

Happy Hump Day.

Interesting collection of days.   Housewife day or is it Domestic Engineer Day?🙂 

The meal suggestion sounds good, hope the drink of the day and wine are tasty too.

We have snow and a winter travel advisory.  Good thing I can stay home with a cup of tea and a book.

Prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 26

Thank you for the Hump Day Daily, Rich.  A definite salute to Housewives.  A great quote from Lincoln.  I will pass on the meal and have not been to Miyako.  My alternative is Honey Pineapple, Rack of Lamb with Cannellinni Beans, and Black Forest Cake as served on MS Prinsendam November 3, 2017.

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews
cunorl’s sister hospitalized with lymphona and DH’s sister recovering from stroke
kakalina with spreading lung cancer going into hospice
summer slope’s friend Frank with back surgery  and his stressed wife Rita

From the rotation:
Mamaofami’s friend in hospice
HAL Sailor DH health issues
cat shepard’s friend recovering from aggressive chemo
StLouisSal not hearing from friend with liver transplant

Celebrations and Shoutouts

Welcome to USA  Rotterdam VII
4 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers
SusieKIslandGirl onEurodam
Welcome home Gail&Marty
1Angelcat biopsy complete (awaiting results)
57redbird covid negative and surgery scheduled for November 29
Bdrcole FINISHED with radiation
Kids vaccine approved
Congrats Braves
Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

dishes1103.jpg

• Like 32
  • Thanks 9

Good morning, Friends. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

Interesting days. I do love a good sandwich, but am trying to cut way back on breads. I'm very interested in the meal. My DM used to bake whole onions with just salt, pepper and a pat of butter in the middle. She and I would split one as a side or each have one for lunch.

The quote is inspirational. Japan has been on my bucket list for decades. Hopefully we'll get there in the next few years.

We are leaving soon to pick up three new windows this morning. It will be an all morning errand as they are in Austell which is about an hour and a half from us. When we get back more trim to paint and shower work.

Have a wonderful Wednesday.

🙏 and 🎉 for those on our lists.

• Like 27

Good morning, everyone.

Today should be a repeat of yesterday with a few more clouds in the sky.   I'm having lunch with friends today.   I haven't seen them in ages.   Covid and house renovations got in the way, so today will be a great reunion.

Originally, Sweet Potato Lasagna came up again today, but since we've just had that for the Meal of the Day, Rich and I decided on a special treat.   During the Rotterdam TA @sansterre took an excursion to Giverny, Monet's home and gardens.   It reminded me of my own visit many years ago.  When I was there I bought a cookbook called Monet's Table.   The following recipe comes from there:

Charlotte Lysès Stuffed White Onions

From the book Monet’s Table

The recipes were collected in Monet’s cooking journals and include dishes he had encountered in his travels or had come across in restaurants he frequented in Paris as well as recipes from friends. 

Charlotte Lysès was a French stage and film actress.  She and her husband, Sacha Guitry, befriended Monet.

4 large white onions

1 cup ground cooked roast pork, chicken or calves liver

2 tablespoons chopped chives

2 tablespoons dried mixed herbs

½ cup grated Gruyère cheese

1 hardboiled egg

Cut ½ inch slices off the tops of the onions.  Blanch the onions, by putting them into boiling water to cover and cooking for 30 minutes.  Drain and cool.  Scoop out the center of each, leaving about a ½ inch wall.  Combine the ground cooked meat with the chives, dried mixed herbs, and half the grated cheese.  Mash the egg yolk and shop the white.  Combine them with the rest of the mixture.  Stuff the onions with the mixture, mounding it slightly above the level of the onions. 

Preheat the oven to 350°.  Place the onions in a greased roasting pan and sprinkle with the rest of the grated cheese.  Bake for 30 minutes or until the cheese is lightly browned. 

My notes:   I use ground pork.   I've never tried the ground chicken or the liver.  The link I am providing calls for ground liver.  

I use a bit more cheese.

You can get more than one onion to stuff from each one if you use larger onions.  With big onions, I cut them in half and then they are easy to take apart and you can get several onions to stuff.

I leave out the egg part.  

https://lukehoney.*****.com/the_greasy_spoon/2016/04/monets-stuffed-onions.html

1543936579_Stuffedonions.jpg.7915d0fae0c955529f3ec66234b75248.jpg

• Like 30
  • Thanks 7

Good morning. Headache gone, thank goodness.  We'll celebrate sandwich day with lunch at Subway.  Have not been to Japan.  The Lincoln quote is good.  I tried to see the Rotterdam in Ft. Lauderdale, but both webcams cut out as soon as they opened.  We will be on her in 59 days.  Going to dig out the suitcases today and start making sure my cruising clothes still fit.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.  So pleased the care list is so short.  I'll post as soon as my friend  texts about her hubby's surgery.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Tom and Jerry:

Ingredients
Boiling water, to rinse
1 ounce dark rum
1 ounce cognac
1 tablespoon Tom & Jerry batter*
Whole milk, hot, to top
Garnish: nutmeg, freshly grated
Garnish: ground cloves
Garnish: ground allspice

Steps
Rinse a small coffee mug (or white ceramic Tom & Jerry cup) with boiling water to warm it, then discard the water.
Add the rum, cognac and batter into the cup and top with hot milk.
Garnish with a mixture of 2 parts freshly grated nutmeg to 1 part each ground clove and ground allspice. *Tom & Jerry batter: Separate 3 egg yolks and whites and set aside. In a nonreactive bowl, whip the egg whites with 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar until stiff peaks form. In a separate bowl, beat the yolks with 1 cup of sugar, 1/2 Jamaican dark rum and 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract. When the yolk mixture is completely combined, gently fold it into the egg white mixture. Keep refrigerated.

Screen Shot 2021-11-03 at 7.42.47 AM.png

• Like 23
  • Thanks 8

Good morning  everyone  from a chilly NY.I need to find the gloves and scarf next for early morning  dog walking.

@bdrcole,So glad your treatments  are over and that the prognosis is good.

@dfish Debbie,I bought the same cookbook when at Monet's home and have tried the recipe with ground chicken as well as pork.The pork wins,hands down.I have enjoyed most recipes from that book.

We have not been to Japan but look forward to pictures.

Yesterday I took Fred the cockapoo to the groomers and he looks smashing.He was in there with an Irish  wolf hound and the size differential was huge.I hope that dog has someplace  to run at home!I know how much exercise a 22 pound dog requires....maybe he has a dog treadmill.

Terry

• Like 29

Good afternoon.

It is currently 47°F and raining.

Thank you Rich and Roy for today's daily and lists 

Interesting days.

I used to take sandwiches to work every day.

Housewife's deserve their day.

Good quote.

I think we all have our own cliches.

I will pass on today's food and drink.

We have never been to today's port so looking forward to seeing photos.

Prayers 🙏 for everyone who will benefit from them.

Take care and hopefully everyone has a nice day.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 27

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich!

Roy, thank you for keeping our lists. Morning Dailyite family! Glad your headache is gone @summer slope! Hope your cruise clothes fit. 😎 Debbie, thank you for your alternate recipe. I would leave out the egg, too. Might try the chicken version. Pass on the drink. Ewwww.

Great quote, but this is my favorite quote from Mr. Lincoln:

1DFC63FB-7E71-444F-84BA-076127EDC0CF.jpeg.f258ddc936a146a7dacb2006f6446d81.jpeg

Another cool morning here. Haircut for me. Then gathering with friends at a local “pub” for Wine Down Wednesday. It will be an adventure! Hoping to snag supper there. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Frescobaldi Nipozzano Chianti Riserva

All released vintages of this Tuscan Chianti have excellent ratings and decent prices. Numerous online distributors with prices starting at $17.49.

Winemaker Notes

Notes of red berries and lightly toasted coffee, lending complexity to the wine before giving way to a fresh and spicy finish. In the mouth the wine is rich, characterized by the elegant density of the grapes and the mineral freshness of the finish that make it balanced and persistent.

Pairs with grilled red meat, roast lamb, and semi-matured pecorino cheese.

JS94 James Suckling
What a pretty interplay between blackcurrants, boysenberries, spices, cedar and pine cones. Full-bodied but ever so delicate with a finely woven texture of taut tannins, running through layers of finely tuned blue and red fruit. Long and elegant on the finish. Best ever? Delicious now but better in 2021.
RP92 Robert Parker's Wine Advocate
The 2015 Chianti Rufina Riserva Nipozzano has a pretty garnet ruby color and offers lots of cherry and nice fruit intensity. With rich, inner ripeness and dense texture, this wine delivers a great quality-to-price ratio within the greater Frescobaldi portfolio. The quality of Sangiovese from Chianti Rufina is always a little bit brighter and sharper compared to other parts of Tuscany, even in a hot vintage such as this. Rating: 92+
WE91 Wine Enthusiast
Red-berry, blue-flower, tobacco, scorched earth and leather aromas slowly take shape on this polished red. The linear palate offers dried cherry, currant, ground clove and a hint of coffee alongside taut close-grained tannins. Showing the warmth of the vintage, it’s already accessible. Drink through 2022.
  • Like 32
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Good Morning everyone! Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, and thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebrations Report. And thank you everyone for caring and sharing!

We had our first freeze overnite. Beautiful looking out over the field as I put Sam out this morning. I actually remembered to disconnect the hoses yesterday!

Thinking about what my favorite sandwich is - and I come up with a PBJ! A BLT is a close second.

We always book a cruise while on a cruise with the Future Cruise Consultant. The decision will need to be made soon for our long 2023 cruise while on our upcoming December cruise. Our choices are the 28-day Japan/North Pacific Crossing or the 31-day South America/Panama Canal cruises. The South America cruise would give us a geographic book-end   🙂  as we have a Carnival Cruise booked for the end of Summer 2023 to Greenland. One of the attractions to that cruise is driving a bit more than 3-hours to Baltimore to embark!

- Jack

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 28

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our Hump Day smile 🙂 

Good collection of days.  I think many of us use cliches more than we realize.

667789FB-BB66-4663-AD5C-331E29BD69CA.jpeg.d38e233736cb6cc1522d36ff3392a293.jpeg

Love a good sandwich.  I was never a fan of the term housewife.  They contribute a lot to the home and family  Home engineer / manager describes them better but they are most deserved of their own day

C5C039F0-675D-4033-A809-EAEEE706CB80.thumb.jpeg.03032742d184902c21a702f250df17d1.jpeg

Like today’s quote by Lincoln and @dfishthank you for the excellent meal suggestion.  Sounds yummy 👍 

Looks like another cool one today.  No fun to work on leaves or the garden but it has to be done 😔  NB has announced boosters for certain age groups now.  We have to wait though as it needs to be 6 months from your last inoculation.  So we get to go in December in the snow, ice and cold.  Ugh.

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Wednesday everyone !!!!!

181556CB-C616-444C-94CB-3D4FBCC47F10.jpeg.3c26b36a1384602142e0429bc18670e0.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 32
  • Haha 6

Good morning.  Glad your headache is gone @summer slope.  Those are the worst.

The onion recipe today looks great @dfish.  DH is quite a fan of onions.  He will be seeing this one on the table for sure.  Fun that @smitty34877has tried it as well.  

In our family we used to joke that we went to Cliche College, so this is our day.  (DH will go for that onion dish like a hobo after a ham sandwich.)  

Which brings up Sandwich Day.  🥪     Love them, but most of mine are open-face these days.   ☹️

I don't use the term "housewife."  Always "homemaker."  

@kazu...just saw your jokes.  Wishing you A Very Short Winter this year.

Wishing everyone a very joyful Wednesday.  😊

• Like 31

Happy Hump Day to all? Flown to Japan several times and went into crew rest woke up and flew to another destination. So never really saw much!

The onion dish sounds very interesting. 

What a pleasure it is to read the Daily and actually see some ships moving and visiting different ports of call.

Thanks to all who contribute!

• Like 20

Good Morning Everyone from a bright and sunny day at the beach

Love the quote by Abe Lincoln. Never had stuffed onions but will give it a try. The recipe looks interesting so  I will try it. Thanks @dfish

Havent been to todays port, looking forward to pictures. I have 3 different sets of friends heading on or are currently on cruises.  I am seeing more and more people coming in for cruises at Port Canaveral. I think things are getting cautiously better.

Doing my " housewife" duties today and cleaning. So much fun.

Stay safe and enjoy today.

• Like 21
  • Haha 1

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  My favourite cliche is what doesn't kill you makes you stronger . . . or more bitter, I'm not sure.  My mom never called herself a housewife, she was a homemaker.  My favourite sandwich is turkey with Miracle Whip and cranberry sauce on a white bun - preferably after either Thanksgiving or Christmas.  Second fave is a PB & J.  

I'm chuckling at you "southerners" talking about having to put on gloves and a scarf to go for a walk - yesterday at 9:30AM I needed to head out to the store, but first I had to scrape the frost off all the car windows.  Yes it was sunny, but not warm enough to melt the frost.  And of course, it will get worse as the year progresses, but that's the price we pay for enjoying the clean air on the "frozen tundra".

Yesterday was a great day for DH - he and his crew were able to erect 3 nesting poles along the river; they couldn't have done it without the assistance of the local power company who brought out the big trucks with the drills, etc.  It took nearly all day, but was a great success - in the spring we'll be heading out to see if any of them have tenants.

@summer slope I'm happy to hear your headache is gone - they can totally wreck your day.  Yes, please let us know when you hear from your friend.

Not a fan of today's menu suggestion - I'd happily order @rafinmd's, though - minus the beans.  I always ask for steamed vegetables instead of the beans, as I just don't care for them.  When going through the freezer, I found a pork roast that has been thawing in the fridge for a couple of days, so that will be going into the oven this afternoon and will be served along with garlic mashed potatoes and a salad.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra prayers for friends in need.  Raising the glasses high tonight to cheer on those on the happy list.  Wash your hands, stay safe, be well and wear your masks.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 30