1 ounce dark rum
1 ounce cognac
1 tablespoon Tom & Jerry batter*
Whole milk, hot, to top
Garnish: nutmeg, freshly grated
Garnish: ground cloves
Garnish: ground allspice

Steps
Rinse a small coffee mug (or white ceramic Tom & Jerry cup) with boiling water to warm it, then discard the water.
Add the rum, cognac and batter into the cup and top with hot milk.
Garnish with a mixture of 2 parts freshly grated nutmeg to 1 part each ground clove and ground allspice. *Tom & Jerry batter: Separate 3 egg yolks and whites and set aside. In a nonreactive bowl, whip the egg whites with 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar until stiff peaks form. In a separate bowl, beat the yolks with 1 cup of sugar, 1/2 Jamaican dark rum and 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract. When the yolk mixture is completely combined, gently fold it into the egg white mixture. Keep refrigerated.

Screen Shot 2021-11-03 at 7.42.47 AM.png

Mom and Dad made up a batch of these one year for New Year's Eve.   They were the hit of the party!

Edited by dfish
  • Like 14

Good morning friends!  No wildlife to report on today.  Must have been a late night for them!   Congratulations to the Atlanta Braves for winning the Series.  I stayed up late last night watching the scores and voting results but all good news so far today. This afternoon we have an appliance repairman (or probably 2 of them) coming to take our wall oven/microwave combo unit out of the wall cabinet and repair it.  Hopefully it is only the lower heating element and not the motherboard.  We will need our oven to make our Thanksgiving dinner.  I didn't want to attempt making a pumpkin pie in a convection microwave and possibly ruin it.  Wish us luck today on that!

Today we have a nice quote and an interesting menu suggestion.  I think I will pass on the stuffed onion.  I love cliches and sandwiches.  I was happy to call myself a "homemaker" as @AncientWandererreferred to the title.  The years spent at home taking care of the children and the home/garden while volunteering at the schools were the best!

Thanks to @richwmnfor presenting the Daily.  I am thrilled to see the Rotterdam in Port Everglades for the first time.  Thanks also to @rafinmdfor the Care and Celebrations lists.  Prayers for those on the Care list.  Good luck to Frank during his surgery today and I hope Rita is relieved of some of her stress.  Cheers to all on the Celebrations list!  🥂

We haven't seen Miyako, Japan yet.  I would like to go on a more in-depth cruise of Japan to add to the few ports I've seen there so far.  I pray we have a lot more cruising days to come.

Have a wonderful day my friends.

• Like 26

Good morning Dailyites. Thank you Rich for our Daily and Roy for prayers and cares. 

Braves did a great job last night. Congratulations! Allen's mom is dancing in Heaven. She loved her Braves.

Tonight we have 6 couples coming by for cocktails and snacks before heading to a Johnny Cash tribute in our ballroom. 

Tomorrow we are having the frosted film installed in the bathroom window, and we are done!! I'll show a picture. 

Hard to believe today is a high of 56 and 100% chance of rain. Should be back to mid 70's for the weekend. 

Blessings, prayers and cheers.

1102211235b.jpg

1102211235_HDR.jpg

1102211235c.jpg

1102211235a.jpg

Edited by Seasick Sailor
Add photo
  • Like 35

Good morning everyone. I can certainly celebrate housewives day since I was and am one, even though I also was a working mom. Love the  quote 

Was on the fence about going to two Chanukah parties at our club house but I had a routine check up with my oncologist and he said don’t go since they are after Thanksgiving and people will have been with their unvaccinated family members and no masks are required at these parties. I’m disappointed since I’m tired of being locked up but will stay safe.

This amazing doctor kept me waiting over an hour the first time I saw him and when he finally came into the exam room, he got down on one knee, took my hand and apologized for keeping me waiting so long. Where can you find a doctor who does that?

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 30

11 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  No wildlife to report on today.  Must have been a late night for them!   Congratulations to the Atlanta Braves for winning the Series.  I stayed up late last night watching the scores and voting results but all good news so far today. This afternoon we have an appliance repairman (or probably 2 of them) coming to take our wall oven/microwave combo unit out of the wall cabinet and repair it.  Hopefully it is only the lower heating element and not the motherboard.  We will need our oven to make our Thanksgiving dinner.  I didn't want to attempt making a pumpkin pie in a convection microwave and possibly ruin it.  Wish us luck today on that!

Today we have a nice quote and an interesting menu suggestion.  I think I will pass on the stuffed onion.  I love cliches and sandwiches.  I was happy to call myself a "homemaker" as @AncientWandererreferred to the title.  The years spent at home taking care of the children and the home/garden while volunteering at the schools were the best!

Thanks to @richwmnfor presenting the Daily.  I am thrilled to see the Rotterdam in Port Everglades for the first time.  Thanks also to @rafinmdfor the Care and Celebrations lists.  Prayers for those on the Care list.  Good luck to Frank during his surgery today and I hope Rita is relieved of some of her stress.  Cheers to all on the Celebrations list!  🥂

We haven't seen Miyako, Japan yet.  I would like to go on a more in-depth cruise of Japan to add to the few ports I've seen there so far.  I pray we have a lot more cruising days to come.

Have a wonderful day my friends.

Good luck today that the repairmen fix your oven/ microwave combo unit easily.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Good morning Dailyites. Thank you Rich for our Daily and Roy for prayers and cares. 

Braves did a great job last night. Congratulations! Allen's mom is dancing in Heaven. She loved her Braves.

Tonight we have 6 couples coming by for cocktails and snacks before heading to a Johnny Cash tribute in our ballroom. 

Tomorrow we are having the frosted film installed in the bathroom window, and we are done!! I'll show a picture. 

Hard to believe today is a high of 56 and 100% chance of rain. Should be back to mid 70's for the weekend. 

Blessings, prayers and cheers.

1102211235b.jpg

1102211235_HDR.jpg

1102211235c.jpg

1102211235a.jpg

Joy, great job on the bathroom, and I love the barn door!   One of our neighbors did a similar big shower at their house.  They took out the tub and original shower and made a long one similar to yours.  Makes the shower accessible just in case.  

• Like 19

Today's sunrise is from a 2011 Panama Canal Cruise on the Symphony.  November 3 was the first day after embarking in Charleston, although we should have embarked October 31 in New York except for Superstorm Sandy.

dawn03.jpg

Roy

• Like 28
  • Thanks 4

@Seasick Sailor,Joy,the bathroom looks great and will make life easier.Thanks  for  sharing the pictures.

@StLouisCruisers,good luck with oven repairs today.

We share the washer/dryer between  households and  the appliance  gremlin struck yesterday.The repairman for the washer should arrive this morning....hope for the best.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, all!  Thanks to Rich and Roy, Jacqui, and all who post interesting stuff!  Prayers and cheers for those that need them.   I have been waking up really early the last few days, like 4 a.m., but I try not to get up until 6, and then I'm hungry so I have my pecan pastries (oops, I mean bran flakes).  Normally I wake up a little later, then I can go hungry until lunchtime, just need my coffee to get me going. Hopefully, I will get over this jet lag in a few days.  

@dfish, love the recipe - do you always blanch the onions?  I would kind of like to make a vegan version for DS, it's hard to find recipes for the food he will eat!

• Like 24

1 minute ago, Vict0riann said:

@dfish, love the recipe - do you always blanch the onions?  I would kind of like to make a vegan version for DS, it's hard to find recipes for the food he will eat!

Yes, I do.  Not always for 30 minutes, but long enough to soften them up so I can scoop out the center of them.  It is almost impossible to do that if you don't blanch them.  

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

14 minutes ago, dfish said:

Yes, I do.  Not always for 30 minutes, but long enough to soften them up so I can scoop out the center of them.  It is almost impossible to do that if you don't blanch them.  

Yes, I guess maybe a shorter time would do.  I always find them so floppy if they are completely cooked.

• Like 15

@Seasick Sailorcongrats on a great job on the renovations.  Looks lovely 👍 

@mamaofamiI know it’s tiresome feeling like you are “locked up” but I think your oncologist gave you good advice and glad you are following it 👍 

@StLouisCruisersgood luck with the appliance repairmen. Hope it is an easy fix 🤞 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

Good (late) morning, everyone.

No internet until just a few minutes ago.  Makes it difficult to work from home.  So I kept myself busy playing a video game.  Yes, besides being addicted to cruising, I'm a gamer (at the soon-to-be age of 69).  Blame it on DD.  She bought me an XBox one year for Christmas and that is pretty much all I do on weekends.  I am definitely guilty of neglecting household chores in favor of sitting on the sofa all day with a game controller in my hands.  I've just finished the remastered Mass Effect and moved on the Mass Effect 2.  They're some of the first games I played and I just love them.

Of the three "days" noted, I'll take Sandwich Day, thanks!

The stuffed onions sound really good as do both the Tom and Jerry and the wine.  That full English breakfast looks great.  I'd be happy with some beans on toast but I'm out of Marmite, and that, for me, is an essential ingredient.

I had best get to work.  I don't actually have any work to do but I still have to account for every minute of every day (in 8-minute increments).  It's rather painful.  I'm going to the office in the morning and will have a chat with one of the partners about my hours for next year.  The plan is to work maybe 3 days a week, only from mid-Feb thru 4/15; then again from mid-August thru 10/15.  I also have to tell him that I won't be around for either of those deadlines.  Yep, I'll be on cruises.  When I booked them, I honestly thought I'd be fully retired, but it looks like that just may never happen.  I got a late start at this and don't have the retirement balances I need, so I'll keep working a bit.  I have to pay for all the cruises somehow, right? 😄

• Like 21

Tom & Jerry is a very popular Christmas holiday drink in Minnesota and Wisconsin. Pre-made batter has already shown up in grocery stores! We always have some on hand (along with eggnog) for the holidays. 

For larger gatherings, people will sometimes make up a punch bowl of the concoction. We use ours mainly as a Christmas decoration -

DSC_0262.thumb.JPG.cc601847da63af6376a7a274f20c2481.JPG 

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

Good morning all!

Looks like we'll get a break in the rain today, so I need to start raking leaves.  They had started coming down before we left on our cruise in September, so I imagine I have enough to easily fill the yard waste bin. (until next raking) 😉 

I was, and am, a homemaker since the birth of our second child -- minus some part-time work after the kids were grown.  Sandwiches are never my first choice, unless they're BLTs or grilled cheese.  Will pass on the meal, I (prefer onions in small amounts) -- @dfishDebbie so interesting about Giverny.  We went years ago on a land trip -- would love to see it again. Will pass on the red wine, but the drink sounds good on these chilly days.  Have never been to Japan.

@Vict0riann I remember having the same experience after getting home from the Eurodam -- waking up very early -- hungry!  

My news today is that the DGSs (6 and 8 ) now have appointments to get their Covid vaccines.  It's a relief.  They were exposed to Covid last month (they didn't get it thank goodness) from some cousins who had been visiting their Dad, (shared custody) an anti-vaxxer. 😞  It's been an on-going worry about that because it will be a struggle to get him to agree to let his children be vaccinated. 😞  

Other news is that DH was finally able to get into Flight Ease last night and book our flights to/from Amsterdam in July.  It's getting real! 

• Like 22

27 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

@Vict0riann I remember having the same experience after getting home from the Eurodam -- waking up very early -- hungry!  

Haha! I guess that is one of the disadvantages of living on the we t coast. 

Great about your DGSs getting their vaccinations.  I don't think Canada is quite there yet, but thinking about it.

• Like 14

Good morning all. Thanks Rich. Today I go into town and get my booster. For our area it wasn't available when I left and now it is for those 65 and older. Today started off with fluffy clouds and now I can barely see across the river.  Here is a time line that I started about an hour ago to show the fall colors, and now it is a dark and stormy morning. 

IMG_3742.JPG

IMG_3746.JPG

• Like 23
  • Thanks 3

Good morning from a very sunny Quartzsite, and with no wind -- yet.  Our internet went down about 3pm yesterday afternoon. It's an area wide outage, and the phone company is working on it.  I am using the hotspot on my phone and it's working okay.  

All the days are interesting.  We do seem to use cliches a lot.  I enjoy sandwiches, and we have them for supper occasionally after a busy day when I don't feel like cooking.  My favorites are ham and cheese on rye, or a BLT.  When our first DD was born, I became a stay-at-home mom, and didn't really pay any attention to the term used.  However, I alwyas thought Roseanne Barr's title was good -- Domestic Goddess.  😉

I like the Abraham Lincoln quote.  The quote of Abe's that @cat shepard Ann shared is funny.

The meal sounds interesting, but I think I'd use the chicken, and maybe used it as small pieces not ground.  I'll pass on the drink, but the wine is good.  We've had it a few times on ships.

We have not been to today's port, and will enjoying seeing any posted.

This Astros fan sends her congratulations to the Braves.

@lindaler  Linda, very nice pictures.

@summer slope  Glad you're feeling better.

@ger_77 Gerry, that was nice of your DH and his group to put nesting poles.  Great that the utility company helped by bringing their heavy equipment.

@Seasick Sailor  The remodel looks great and very accessible.  I know you both are relieved to have the project finished and to get the house back to normal, once the frosted film is added to the window.  Somehow, when our house was built, they put a frosted glass window in our bathroom which I appreciate.  It's the only one in the original houses in the community.

@mamaofami  Carol, I know you're disappointed at the doctor's advice, but to use a cliche today --better safe than sorry.  Sorry about that, but as it's cliche day, I couldn't resist. 🤣  The doctor sounds like a keeper.

@StLouisCruisers Sandi, I hope they can fix your oven.  It sounds like the lower element, and I hope that is all the problem turns out to be.

@smitty34877  Hope the washer repairman arrives on time and it is an easy fix.

Now, I better get some Domestic Goddess chores done.

Lenda

• Like 22