The Daily for Saturday November 13, 2021

richwmn

Today is Caregiver Appreciation Day, Wine Tourism Day, and Sadie Hawkins Day

I am simply trying to struggle through life; trying to do God's bidding. - George Lucas

Meal suggestion for today - Red Chile and Orange Glazed Turkey

Drink of the Day - Sex on the Beach

Wine of the day - Marqués de Cáceres Rioja Reserva 2012

Destination of the Day - Sasebo Japan

Ships with Passengers

At Sea Atlantic
Eurodam Destination Fort Lauderdale

Ensenada, Baja California Mexico
Koningsdam 08:00 - 18:00

Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglad
Nieuw Amsterdam Florida 07:00 - 16:00

Philipsburg, St Maarten Island, Dutch Antilles
Rotterdam 08:00 - 16:00

Ships without Passengers

At Sea Pacific
Westerdam Destination Los Angeles CA US eta 11/14
Zuiderdam Destination La Paz MX eta 11/13

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

Panama Anchorage Pacific
Noordam Destination Freeport BS eta 11/19

Port Everglades FL US
Nieuw Statendam

Scheveningen NL
Oosterdam Anchorage

1113World.thumb.png.eabb0c5acfaf82b17298ddcd93846083.png

• Like 33
  • Thanks 8

I don't remember if it has been going on longer, but over the last several days I have noticed several posts which began with something like 'sorry to intrude'.
This thread is intended for everyone, and if we seem like a clique I hope we can correct that impression.
Everyone is welcome and I hope those who lurk every day feel free to post a quick hello.

• Like 40
  • Thanks 12

Thank you for the Saturday Daily, Rich.  Caregivers are most essential and we have some great ones here.  Wine Tourism is quite popular here and Sadie Hawkins had a great idea.  I like the Lucas quote.  I  have not been to Sasebo.  Japan seems to have a LOT of ports.  I like the meal idea.  My alternative is Chilled Bannana Soup, Spaghetti a la Americana, and Peach Berry Crisp as served on MS Prinsendam November 13, 2017.

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2017/11/dishes13.jpg

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews
Loss of Ann’s cousin in Virginia
kakalina with spreading lung cancer going into hospice
SrLouisCruisers friend John with end stage melanoma
cat shepard’s friend recovering from aggressive chemo but at least back home
Cruising along DH recovering from cataract surgery
lazey1 COPD complications
Seasick sailor’s friend Walker wthdrawing from cancer treatments
From the rotation:
LaPalma
NextOne  DDIL with long haul Covid
57redbird DH awaiting November 29 prostate surgery
Grapau27 awaiting MOHS surgery November 17

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

4 BHB with passengers
Nieuw Amsterdam sailaway
Nieuw Statendam in Everglades
Front Line Health Care Workers
SusieKIslandGirl onEurodam
horizonchaser1947 settled in Mexico
Lady Hudson at sea  (Anthem OTS)
Norseh20 at sea (Oceania Marina to 12/1)
1 day for dobiemom (NCL Bliss)
1 day for Sea Viewer (Allure OTS)
1 days for Quartzite Cruiser and negative
Crazy for Cats in Lancaster
booster for grapau27
negative brain scan for kakalina
57redbird covid negative and surgery scheduled for November 29
Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 34
  • Thanks 10

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.  Happy Saturday.

Cool and rainy here today.

A big Thank You to caregivers.  We've enjoyed touring the wineries in the Niagara region of Ontario, British Columbia and Italy.  Someday, we'll get to other areas.🙂  I remember Sadie Hawkins dances at high school, who was brave enough to ask a boy?

I like the quote. 

The meal sounds interesting, looking forward to seeing the recipe.

The cocktail sounds good, hope the wine is too.

Another port I have not visited, thanks to all the pictures and comments that will be posted.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List, Cheers for all the celebrations.

Stay safe.

• Like 29

Good morning, Friends. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

A big salute to caregivers. 🥂to wine tourism. I was never brave enough to ask a boy to a Sadie Hawkins dance.

I love the quote and can't wait to see the recipes Debbie finds for the meal.

It's a cool 42 degrees here this morning with a high of only 50.

More of the same here today with some football mixed in this afternoon.

🙏 and 🎉 for those on our lists.

• Like 28

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our Saturday smile 🙂 

Great collection of days.  Caregivers deserve to be appreciated every day.  Never did the invite for Sadie Hawkins.  Wine tourism - YAY 🙂. Wish we could be in an area where we could do that.  I guess for now this will be my wine tour:

8C145580-41A2-4789-994A-F6297A249D46.jpeg.4f9119d9965d219c1940ad8f4497ff0b.jpeg

Like the quote by Lucas and the meal suggestion.  Yum on the orange glazed turkey meal.  Sadly, I only have a chicken in the fridge so that will be on the menu tonight.  At least it’s poultry - so close 😉 

@richwmnthank you for your post welcoming everyone & the reminder that no one is intruding 👍  We are definitely not a clique and I join you in welcoming one and all 🙂 

Happy to report that “the boys” have now adjusted to the new dinner time so there’s no more of this 😉 

577E4619-436D-43B6-8608-A10D46B8B969.thumb.jpeg.b79e33c99edebcb48ed75e0a7c6c461a.jpeg

It absolutely poured last night.  Any gardening plans I had today are out the window unless it dries up fast.  Hopefully some of the bulbs are dry and I can work on getting them away 🤞 

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Saturday everyone !!!!!

3D89FDDB-D804-4BBF-8352-DFC348FD5E1E.thumb.jpeg.65c14d3fc2be673a2d2f9c790bb106e6.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 14

Good morning, everyone!   

The S word is in the forecast here in northeast Ohio for the next couple of days.  It is a cool 33 degrees right now and expected to climb only to 41.  

Nothing much on the agenda today except for one Zoom meeting this morning.  Once I introduce the speaker, I'm good.  We're doing diversity training for our volunteers.  

Today's meal sounds wonderful and in a short time we will have the smells of roasting turkey, giblets on a slow simmer, pies and other Thanksgiving goodies.  The Red Chile and Orange Glazed Turkey sure sounds intriguing.   Let's take a look:

You have to start early with this one as you brine the turkey for 72 hours.  I guess you could get a pre-brined turkey from your butcher.  https://www.getessenova.com/blogs/news/red-chili-and-orange-glazed-turkey

981398196_RedChileandOrangeGlazedTurkey.jpg.6a467ff1c8d0cace519537f180a3d561.jpg

Bobby Flay doesn't brine his turkey, but he changes things up a bit and uses tangerines instead of oranges.   https://www.today.com/recipes/bobby-flay-s-red-chile-tangerine-glazed-turkey-t56566

bobby_flay_red_chile-tangerine_glazed_turkey-15-11-17.thumb.jpg.bb95a9192515c29c788719e90b6113c9.jpg

Chef Jonathan Perno is considered an expert in the cuisine of New Mexico.  Here is his take:   https://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/7868728/red-chile-citrus-glazed-roast-turkey-pan-gravy/

1532033261_RedChiliandOrangeGlazedbutterfliedturkey.thumb.jpg.dc62bbdf7df66365f0978d94d2496dec.jpg

• Like 31
  • Thanks 7

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! A very special combination of days. Caregivers are such amazing people. Glad to see your post about everyone being welcome. The only way someone could intrude on The Daily is to post something unkind, or nasty. 

Roy thank you for keeping our lists. Morning Dailyite family. Dense fog here this morning. Debbie all versions of that meal look amazing!

Need to get out in the garden. Then clean the outside sitting and eating areas - dinner at my place tonight. Hoping to eat outside. 

@kazu, Jacqui thank you again for your help yesterday. On my phone the “return from city” window was empty except for a blue > symbol. Very weird. Perhaps because I was out in Mother Nature and the reception was poor. BTW are you offering tickets for your wine tour?

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Marqués de Cáceres Rioja Reserva 2012

All released vintages of this Rioja share similar excellent ratings and reasonable prices. The 2012 might be the priciest option and the hardest to find. But other vintages are available for as low as $15.99.

Winemaker Notes

#19 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2017 

Dark red in color, this wine offers aromas of forest fruits (wild berries), with a touch of vanilla and floral notes. It is well-balanced on the palate with good structure and tasty tannins.

WS93 Wine Spectator:Smart Buy Black cherry, currant and floral notes are expressive and alluring, balanced by loamy earth, tobacco and mineral elements that add a savory quality. Firm, well-integrated tannins give support to the polished texture, while orange peel acidity fuels the fresh finish.

JS92 James Suckling A rich and dense Rioja with aromas and flavors of dark berries and hints of hazelnut and mahogany. Full body, chewy tannins and a flavorful finish. Drink now or hold.

JD90 Jeb Dunnuck
A blend of 85% Tempranillo, 10% Garnacha and the rest Graciano, the 2012 Reserva sports a deep ruby/purple color as well as lots of blackberry, licorice, asphalt, and spicy vanilla oak aomatics. This deep, rich, medium to full-bodied, pleasure-bent beauty has tons of charm, no hard edges, and a great finish. It's about as easy drinking and quaffable as it gets. This cuvée spent 20 months in a mix of new and used French oak.
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 5

1 minute ago, cat shepard said:

Jacqui thank you again for your help yesterday. On my phone the “return from city” window was empty except for a blue > symbol. Very weird. Perhaps because I was out in Mother Nature and the reception was poor.

Happy to help and glad it got sorted our for you 👍 

1 minute ago, cat shepard said:

BTW are you offering tickets for your wine tour?

LOL 😂. Absolutely - no charge for you 😉 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

Good afternoon.

I had my covid19 booster this morning and have an eye test this afternoon.

Thank you for today's daily Rich and Roy for your kind mention on the celebration and rotation list.

Pauline,her brother and myself were the only caregivers for the last 4 years of her late mam's life in her fight against Vascular Dementia and Alzheimer's.

Interesting other days and quotes.

We have never been to today's port so looking forward to seeing photos.

Prayers for Roy for his daily radiation treatment and for everyone on the care list.

I wish everyone a nice weekend.

Take care and stay safe.

Graham.

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning from a bright and sunny day at the beach

Beautiful day right now but some wind and rain is predicted for later.

Another great launch this morning. It is just so amazing to see and never gets old. 

The Turkey looks wonderful. May try it.  Have not been to todays port, look forward to any pictures.  I really enjoy seeing the pictures for 2 reasons. I love seeing ports that I have not been to and look interesting. Secondly, I look at the sidewalks and plazas to see how accessible it would be. My DD uses a wheelchair fulltime ( no mobility) and it helps to be able to plan somewhat. So Thank You!

DH and our son are volunteering today to teach kids how to fish. It is sponsored by the police department and there are 98 kids signed up. So it should be an interesting and fun day.

Stay safe and enjoy today

• Like 31

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for today’s daily report.  Caregivers deserve this day. Wine appreciation is very important to some folks.  Good luck getting your dates today ladies!  Nice quote, very humble.  The meal suggestion sounds very nice.  I haven’t heard of today’s cocktail in years.  Can’t wait to see the photos of today’s port as I haven’t been. Prayers for everyone on our prayer list and cheers to everyone celebrating a happy event today.

• Like 23
  • Haha 1

Good morning  to all.I  agree that everyone  should feel welcome here.I lurked for a while  before posting myself.

I only went to one school dance when there was a Sadie Hawkins  theme.I forced myself to cross the gym floor to ask my heart throb to dance.It makes me nervous still to remember  it!

The quote is a good one and all of the turkey recipes look like winners.

The rain and wind left tons of leaves down but our huge oak tree is  still green. It is unusual  to still have green trees in mid November. 

Terry

• Like 30

Happy Saturday.  Caregivers have earned their wings on earth.  We were the caregivers for dear MIL for 7 years due to Vascular Dementia and Alzheimer's.  I remember Sadie Hawkins day.  Waited to ask my crush for a dance and he went to the bathroom.  Saw him years later and was happy he did.  LOL  I"ll be on my way to Kazu's wine tasting.  Like the quote but not the glaze on the turkey.  Have not been to today's port, looking forward to the photo's.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.  Virtual hugs for all of us.

Stay safe, social distance, and please wear your mask.

Sex on the beach:

A Sex on the Beach is an alcoholic cocktail containing vodka, peach schnapps, orange juice and cranberry juice. It is an International Bartenders Association Official Cocktail. Wikipedia
Main alcohol: Vodka
Ingredients: 1 1/3 oz Cranberry juice, 1 1/3 oz Orange juice, 1 1/3 oz Vodka, 2/3 oz Peach schnapps
Preparation: Build all ingredients in a highball glass filled with ice. Garnish with orange slice.
Served: On the rocks; poured over ice
Standard garnish: Orange slice
Drinkware: Highball glass

Screen Shot 2021-11-12 at 9.53.04 AM.png

• Like 27
  • Thanks 5

Good Morning everyone! Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, and thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebrations Report. And thank you everyone for caring and sharing! Happy Weekend!

Sue worked in the Health Care industry devoting most of her career to the disease-based Alzheimer's Association and ALS Association in a National capacity. Caregivers play such a vital role in the lives of people dealing with these conditions. She always cringes when people misuse "caretaker" for the correct Caregiver term.

I laugh at Jacqui's Dachshund photo! Sam has still not completely adjusted to the time change for his feedings!  We are almost there. One thing that has surprised me though is that I have an alarm on my phone to take some medication at dinner time. Sam also takes two meds then as well. The alarm goes off and he is physically reminding me! Mine just get swallowed but his are inside a treat. I think that is his real reason to remind me.

Have a great Saturday!

- Jack

• Like 31
  • Haha 1

Good Morning Everyone,  thanks for the daily report.   Thanks for all the birthday wishes.   Today's meal suggestion sounds good.   Not sure what is on the menu today.  @1ANGELCATwe had breakfast at the Route 30 diner. It's under new ownership.   They seem very friendly.  Probably going back tomorrow.

On the way to visit my side of the family.   My nephew will wear us out.:-)

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, richwmn said:

I am simply trying to struggle through life; trying to do God's bidding. - George Lucas

This quote shows up a lot of places, but what was the context of when it was written or said? Was it in a book or an interview, or a panel about religion and Star Wars? I can't seem to find that information.

Lucas has described himself as a 'Buddhist Methodist' (according to something I read on the internet, and we all know how reliable that is). He does seem to recognize the whole struggle through life with the God-relationship. I am more able to recognize that struggle within myself than i am with others, but my willingness to acknowledge where I am in the struggle waxes and wanes. And my ability to recognize and acknowledge the struggle in others doesn't come naturally. 

The prophet, Micah, says: "He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God."

Recognition of the struggle within ourselves and in others could go a long way toward cancelling the cancel culture we find society in presently. True empathy might lead to more mercy.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Happy Weekend! Thank you Rich for our Daily. I am always happy to see another new poster, and to see the "HOT" on the board when I log on. 

Last night was so much fun! The band played for 3 hours and they were wonderful. Allen danced slow dances with me and all of us danced to 60's thru 80's. People came by our table and looked at the amazing food we all prepared. I made 40 of the brandied meatballs and they were gone in a minute.

I went to every Sadie Hawkins dance. My sister made these great costumes for us. I'm interested in today's menu item. I do not like considering myself as a caregiver. I'm my husband's wife. I appreciate seeing a person taking care of a loved one. 

Sending up prayers. Blessings and Cheers 

• Like 27

I have a question for all of you.  What is your favorite Thanksgiving dish?  Mine is my mom's stuffing with gravy.   

I was my mother's primary caregiver when she was in her last stages of COPD.  I was also there for my dad before he died.  Both times I spent months in Michigan, leaving everything at home to take care of itself.  Fortunately, I have a great friend who took in the mail and checked out the house now and then.  When dad was in his final days he was in the hospital.  We were all there with him.  At one point we had 17 people stuffed into his room.  The doctors and nurses commented that it was so good to see family there with him.  One doctor said it was quite common for families to drop off Grandpa and not be seen again.   Some didn't even leave phone numbers where they could be contacted.  

• Like 24
  • Thanks 5

3 minutes ago, dfish said:

What is your favorite Thanksgiving dish?  Mine is my mom's stuffing with gravy. 

Mine is my dressing (another word for stuffing).  All kinds of goodies go in it including special Italian sausage & oysters.  It’s delicous.

• Like 26

Good morning everyone. I can certainly celebrate care givers today because we’ve needed one since June. Love the quote.

My son and grandson are coming for a visit today and bringing deli sandwiches. We haven’t seen them since September 30th. I remember the date because they were here to celebrate their cousins birthday then. Since this grandson is a tech wiz we’re hoping he can help Sam arrange his computer .

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 28

Good morning Friends!  Temps were in the mid 40's when we walked to the gym.  All that is completed, thank goodness.  Once again I awoke with an aching back.  It could be the inactivity because it hurts no matter which mattress I sleep on.  My Dad had horrific back problems so I hope mine won't progress that far.  As the day goes on it should improve.  I'm doing the same things as yesterday so I'll be fine.

A nice comment by @richwmnabout new folks mentioning intruding on this thread.  We all agree this is not a clique and everyone is welcome to join in.  The more the merrier!

Thanks for today's Daily Rich and thank you to @rafinmdfor the long lists this week.  Prayers for all our needy friends and family.  I heard from John's wife again, and she said he has given up treatment and is very weak.  He has a PET scan and a brain MRI next week so we will know more about the spread but she doesn't expect it to be good news.  I'll keep you all informed.  They live all the way over in the Spokane, Wash. area so we have never been able to visit them there or they here.  They have a large family though which is a blessing.  I also want to say cheers to those on the Celebration list.  We have quite the "crew" on a ship or preparing to be on one.  That makes all of us sailors happy.

What fine days to celebrate today!  The Caregiver Appreciation Day is a most important one.  We appreciate the nurses and aides who care for my DMIL.  They are true angels!  Wine tourism day is a favorite among Dailyites.  When we lived an hour away from Napa we would go there regularly for wine tastings.  It was a big hit with our out-of-state family when they came to stay.  I was much too shy to invite a boy to a dance as a teen.  It makes you appreciate the nerve it takes the young gentlemen to ask the young ladies out on a date!  

The glazed turkey recipes look very good and great timing for that recipe to come up now.  Love the quote.  Today's drink might be considered X-rated by some, but looks good.  Today's port of Sasebo, Japan is one I've never heard of.  Yes, we've had many Japanese ports of call highlighted.  Thanks to anyone who shares their visit there with us!

And @cunnorlI enjoy your enthusiasm for the launches you get to witness there.  You definitely live in the right place.  Thank you for sharing with us.

• Like 25