Cruise next week - 2 ports changed/cancelled

michaeljc70

We cancelled our cruise leaving next Monday.  They changed 2 ports to 2 different ports (and added a sea day since one port was an overnight port) that we have no interest in.  As I understand it, we only get a future cruise credit.  Is that correct?   Essentially, half the ports were changed so I'm not real happy if that is true.  Not that we won't use the credit ever....but it was booked with a friend that has a hard time taking time off work.  

Edited by michaeljc70
  • Haha 1

• michaeljc70 changed the title to Cruise next week - 2 ports changed/cancelled

Yes you will get a FCC.  
Pre pandemic the cruise lines could also change ports at their discretion, the difference now is Cruise with Confidence provides a FCC.  Pre pandemic if you cancelled this close to sailing you would lose your entire cruise fare.   

We expect to have 2 ports cancelled on our upcoming cruise and it’s disappointing but if the ports change the protocols or turn ships away there not much than can be done.

2 hours ago, jwlane said:

Sorry you're disappointed, but the vast majority reading these posts are not surprised at all.  It is what it is, these days.

I've been on a lot of cruises over the last 25 years.  Of course there have been small changes due to weather, unrest, strikes or whatever.  I do feel if 1/2 of the itinerary changes that is something different.  I'll deal with it, but I think when loyal customers take a chance in the middle of a pandemic and you cannot offer close to what they bought, you should get a refund.  

3 hours ago, michaeljc70 said:

We cancelled our cruise leaving next Monday.  They changed 2 ports to 2 different ports (and added a sea day since one port was an overnight port) that we have no interest in.  As I understand it, we only get a future cruise credit.  Is that correct?   Essentially, half the ports were changed so I'm not real happy if that is true.  Not that we won't use the credit ever....but it was booked with a friend that has a hard time taking time off work.  

Sorry for the issue..very understandable these days..the ship is my nirvana. Really nothing new to see here…if your cruising for a specific port, don’t, fly there instead, land vacay. 

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

Sorry for the issue..very understandable these days..the ship is my nirvana. Really nothing new to see here…if your cruising for a specific port, don’t, fly there instead, land vacay. 

Having to switch ports is understandable.  I won't argue that.  But how much can you change  a cruise to where it isn't what you bought?   I am not arguing they shouldn't have changed the ports they probably had no choice in.  I am arguing they should give a refund and not a credit.  

• Like 1

It happens all the time. 

We almost  sail exclusively in the caribbean because we can drive to the embarkation ports    

We have had many cruises canceled ports due to rough seas  especially Grand Cayman and Cozumel.   Any tender port can be canceled.   Bar Harbor Maine is one that has disappointed many.    Too rough to tender 

Stops for us at Jamaica and mostly Roatan  were canceled because of civil uprising or other political  issues.    Didn’t matter to us as they are $hitholes.   Although I am sure many were planning going there.   They didn’t know what a blessing it was.

Some because of hurricane damage to the ports 

***** happens.   Go with the flow and enjoy the cruise.   We cruise for the cruise and not the ports.   If we wanted the ports we would do a land vacation there,  but then again a cruise offers the chance to preview the area to help decide if you want to stay there for a week or so.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 1

2 hours ago, michaeljc70 said:

I am arguing they should give a refund and not a credit.  

There's no sense in arguing over something that you agreed to.  These are very, very different times, and cruise lines have made it quite clear that itineraries can and will change. If you booked knowing this (which everyone has since the restart), then you were also aware of their refund vs. fcc policies.  

• Like 2

Changing ports can be good or bad.  We have had ports changed on prepandemic cruises many times. Weather, work stoppages, rough seas, civil unrest, problems at the dock, tides, etc. usually  there are stops at other ports. In some cases, the replacement ports were very interesting. In some, we really were upset that we didn’t get to stop in a favorite port.  We learned that choosing a cruise can be tricky…..times, itinerary, cost, size of ship, availability of cabins, etc.  if you really want to visit a specific port, fly in and stay.  On most cruises, the itinerary is as described. However, when it changes, it can be frustrating.  Now, sailing in a pandemic, you have to expect changes.  Staying safe and stopping at most ports is good.  Having been stuck at sea in March 2020, any stop is good.  If you are not willing to be flexible, this may not be the right time to sail.  

• Like 1

we are never guaranteed a port stop. There have been many stories reported here. Folks who were to attend a family wedding on a port day but stop cancelled due to weather. A family who boarded with a lot of extra luggage as the port stop ( across ocean) was their new home.. essentially using the ship to move them. Port cancelled due to winds. No port is promised! even embarking port can change. We were in Rome and our cruise was changed to Naples the night before

11 hours ago, michaeljc70 said:

Having to switch ports is understandable.  I won't argue that.  But how much can you change  a cruise to where it isn't what you bought?   I am not arguing they shouldn't have changed the ports they probably had no choice in.  I am arguing they should give a refund and not a credit.  

You are correct from a pre-pandemic standpoint of course.  But we all know that right now these are forced changes, not really the fault of the cruise lines.  Countries and ports have rules changing frequently. And some ships are denied ports based upon their COVID positive cases of passengers and crew.   If you are cruising right now, you should be very aware of this, particularly if you are visiting these boards here on CC.  All that being said, many more people would be very happy if they offered refunds over FCC.

Sorry you have had to make this choice.  We are sailing next week on the Constellation - always knew we would not go to Grand Cayman so that was not an issue for us.  I am disappointed that we will not see Cartagena but understand their government has made a decision that protects their citizens.  While Belize was never on our radar, reading about the Mayan ruins has given us options to consider.  I am still so looking forward to being back on the water.  Less excited about our travel days to/from Tampa.  

• Like 1

OP, if you are new to cruising, then you need to become aware that port changes and sometimes entire itinerary changes, can and will happen when cruising.

Changes can be due to al the reason listed in post #11, or even, as happened on  one of my cruises, because the ship did a rescue of the crew of a sinking ship and could not make one  port.

It is just a fact of cruising.

We are booked on a cruise leaving on February 14 that we booked in September 2021.  At the time of booking, being familiar with the ports on the cruise,  I fully expected at least one port to be canceled (Key West)  and knew another was very iffy (Grand Cayman).

7 minutes ago, SbbquilterUT said:

Sorry you have had to make this choice.  We are sailing next week on the Constellation - always knew we would not go to Grand Cayman so that was not an issue for us.  I am disappointed that we will not see Cartagena but understand their government has made a decision that protects their citizens.  While Belize was never on our radar, reading about the Mayan ruins has given us options to consider.  I am still so looking forward to being back on the water.  Less excited about our travel days to/from Tampa.  

That is the cruise we were on.   We were really interested in the overnight in Cartagena.  Though Grand Cayman is not terribly exciting, their port in Honduras is less than desirable to me.  That combined with the thought of being quarantined if you get Covid pushed us over the line.  There are also being changes made to entertainment, food, activities, etc. on ships that get outbreaks (and probably ships that don't).    

We cruised in November on the Edge without issue.  We look forward to cruising again when things are less volatile which I think will not be that far off. 

To cruise, or not to cruise…that is an easy decision for some, but very difficult for others.  All we can count on is change and reading all available information by Celebrity!  Prepare for disappointments, but sail with your glass half full!

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 3

On 1/19/2022 at 9:33 AM, TeeRick said:

You are correct from a pre-pandemic standpoint of course.  But we all know that right now these are forced changes, not really the fault of the cruise lines.  Countries and ports have rules changing frequently. And some ships are denied ports based upon their COVID positive cases of passengers and crew.   If you are cruising right now, you should be very aware of this, particularly if you are visiting these boards here on CC.  All that being said, many more people would be very happy if they offered refunds over FCC.

Like the airlines do!

My travel agent said it could take 75 days for the credit to show up.....so I guess I won't be booking anything soon.  Unless this is just worst case scenario.   Anyone know how long it typically takes?

My cruise is still showing on my Celebrity account even though the travel agent said she canceled 4 days ago.  Should I be alarmed?  I would think this is all electronic and fast.....

Crystal cruises had a very recent post titled Crystal vs Celebrity. I think all of us here should be grateful because Crystal will no longer be sailing anywhere and Celebrity has now won that whole debate. 

Missed ports are the small stuff compared to losing your whole cruise line.

As Bo always says "Bon Voyage"

I was supposed to be on a now canceled cruise Lisbon to Barcelona, Portugal and Spain.  They did make changes before the cancellation.  It went from 10 days to 8.  They took out Valencia.  Now that I accepted even though I wasn't happy.  But what if they said "Oh, Portugal's not very interesting, let's cancel that.  It's only two ports."  Should I just go along to get along and say I guess that's OK?  It's a contract after all.  I totally understand why someone gets upset about ports being canceled.

28 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:

Crystal cruises had a very recent post titled Crystal vs Celebrity. I think all of us here should be grateful because Crystal will no longer be sailing anywhere and Celebrity has now won that whole debate. 

Missed ports are the small stuff compared to losing your whole cruise line.

As Bo always says "Bon Voyage"

Unless something has happened in the last 20 minutes, Crystal is not "no longer sailing anywhere" or "losing your whole cruise line."

Granted, it may go on for longer, and it may trigger an acquisition by someone  (another cruise line or equity partner) but Crystal is only pausing sailing for 3 months.

1 minute ago, ECCruise said:

Unless something has happened in the last 20 minutes, Crystal is not "no longer sailing anywhere" or "losing your whole cruise line."

Granted, it may go on for longer, and it may trigger an acquisition by someone  (another cruise line or equity partner) but Crystal is only pausing sailing for 3 months.

Time will tell. 

My point being is that Celebrity is still sailing and Crystal has stopped all of it's cruises due to Genting bankruptcy. I read those boards too.