The Daily for Thursday 02/03/2022

richwmn

44 minutes ago, irishjim said:

This  question is off  topic  but  I  wonder if  you could  tell  me  if  HAL  rents  wheelchairs 

on board ships. Thank you  for  any  help.

Jim.

Jim, HAL does not rent directly. They use Care Vacations and/or Special Needs at Sea, I think the information is in the Know before you go section .

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Not much longer for you!  I've been trying to look at some things on my bookings, but am getting the circle of death when I click on manage cruise.  You having any problems?

I am having the same problem.  I found I could get into it by closing the window and then going to the main page again.  But this time I chose “Already Booked” and it took me right into the booking.  iPad user so not sure if it will work the same if you’re not on one also.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mamaofami said:

Good morning everyone. Just a quick check in. Sam went by ambulance to the hospital early last night with chest pains. No heart attack and no stroke but he has an overload of fluid which he’s been treated for this past week so they are keeping him and treating that. I’m exhausted and will check in later. I don’t think this is serious at this time.

Carol

Carol, so sorry for the scare. 
prayers and toasts to our lists. 
Excited, just booked the first 36 days of the 2024 Grand World Voyage. 

• Like 16

6 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Not much longer for you!  I've been trying to look at some things on my bookings, but am getting the circle of death when I click on manage cruise.  You having any problems?

No problems, the HAL website seems to be behaving itself for me for a change. Now I just need HAL to stop cancelling my booked excursions! They axed our excursions in Sint Maarten, Bonaire, and Martinique. The Martinique one was due to a port change; we will go to Dominica instead. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

I am having the same problem.  I found I could get into it by closing the window and then going to the main page again.  But this time I chose “Already Booked” and it took me right into the booking.  iPad user so not sure if it will work the same if you’re not on one also.

laptop user here.  Thanks for the idea, I'll try to get in the already booked way.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kazu said:

I can’t take a cruise right now but I sort of celebrated the day.  My friend (who was also on my Norway cruise this year) told me about one next year and I booked the 8 day European Splendour & MIdnight Sun for May next year on the N Statendam.  Booked it solo and if a miracle happens, I can easily add Jose to it 🤞 

I got to the hospital with more Spanish cheese for Jose and YAY - I found him his Thai chilies.  He was a very happy camper 🙂.  I didn’t stay as long as I would have liked with the incoming weather.  It’s raining but will freeze  (I didn’t want to get caught on icy roads) and then another high impact storm hits later today/tonight.  <sigh>  So, no visits probably tomorrow & Saturday until it stops and the roads are cleaned up. 

I'm glad you got to see Jose today, and I hope the roads are clear very soon after the storm or you can go back to the hospital.  Good that you booked a cruise for next year.  It will give you something fun to look forward to and to plan for.

58 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

I spoke too soon. Sam was seen by his cardiologist and is being sent home. Not that much fluid. Thankful 

Catol, that's good news.

56 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Good morning and thanks all!  Love Labrador retrievers,  a close cousin to goldens.  Love the book A fault in the stars and the quote,  read it on a beach in Greece as a retirement gift,  and a teen reading it came up to discuss.  
I think we’ve had this port before but it is beautiful, it’s the port for Hirosaki castle also reached by Aomori .  A few extra garden shots for Sandi.

I was up late as we had an aurora watch so will catch up on the thread later.  Of course the real action happened even later, but I’m useless in the wee hours.  

D2372A68-A085-4763-A014-F9B99F31FB6E.jpeg

4E65FA0D-BDA5-4DA9-BE85-10BF43694196.jpeg

D953D3FA-1152-48CD-AD03-F082FDBEBC76.jpeg

278DDD43-7725-415B-B3AD-B6D2580B76D6.jpeg

901D5B7B-E23F-4DC8-9A4C-8D0AC794BAEC.jpeg

48AD2FC7-F1B4-4F92-9847-50EBDDD923AD.jpeg

D90458BF-D6C8-43BE-A50D-A3DD94AFD5F4.jpeg

7253F58A-7384-44ED-BD87-A029C4FA7CF4.jpeg

E02EEB21-EC77-4270-A471-F1EE876851FB.jpeg

Beautiful pictures.

36 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Thanks Jacqui @kazufor your informative post, and your memes too.  So good to hear about your visit to Jose and the goodies you bring him.  I hope the ice/snow melts fast so you can get back there!

Thanks for those beautiful flowering trees (cherry I would guess 😉) in your Japan photos @bennybear  I think that's the first photos all day of this Japanese port (or near it).

I actually did book a cruise today!  Actually the process began yesterday but the final amount due was just paid a little while ago.  First we decided one of our Grand voyages had to go.  Since they've been postponing them for a couple of years now, we've ended up with the Grand Africa Oct. 10-Dec. 20, 2022, then 14 days later the Grand South America & Antarctica, Jan. 3-March 18, 2023. It's just not enough time to decompress and prepare to be gone so long.  DH preferred being home this fall for several reasons so we decided to cancel the 2022 Grand Africa and take the 2023 version in Oct. next year.  But HAL was giving us trouble concerning the FCCs and original deposit on the cancelled cruise.  They didn't want to extend and apply them to the Jan. Grand voyage.  Our TA finally got the deposit FCC applied to the January Grand voyage and they applied the bonus FCC to a Dec. 27, 2022 7 day Caribbean cruise on the Volendam.  This means we are showing up 7 days early for the Grand SA&A!  So I cancelled one cruise, added another one to the Caribbean and also added the Grand Africa in 2023.  After doing no cruising, planning or booking in 2 years this is a major change.  Fingers crossed DH doesn't change his mind!

Glad you got all your cruises and FCCs straightened out.

23 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Carol, so sorry for the scare. 
prayers and toasts to our lists. 
Excited, just booked the first 36 days of the 2024 Grand World Voyage. 

Congratulations on booking part of the 2024 GWV.

Lenda

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, *Miss G* said:

A new squirrel will attempt it once or twice but they always give up and don’t come back.  It’s a Canadian product called the Squirrel Buster Plus.  In the US it’s sold by Wild Birds Unlimited as the Eliminator.

Thanks, I’ll order one for my husband for his bday.  We tried the one that spins but the squirrels didn’t seem to mind going for a ride.  I found a video on YouTube if you’d like to see one in action.

• Like 10
  • Haha 10

Love American Pie! And bird feeders too! 
@mamaofami glad Sam is doing better! 
@kazu nice to hear Jose is enjoying his treats.  And glad you have a cruise to look forward to.  
@StLouisCruisers great news, what a relief! 
@garlictown we saw the elephant seals, they are astounding! 

We love feeding the birds,  they need it in our winter.  We have a squirrel proof feeder, I think from Lee valley.  The birdbath gets frozen but DH does his best when it’s milder.

We also had a Sharp-shinned Hawk come to take a look! 

1E24AC7D-A3B4-411D-BD17-7D9C7889E639.jpeg

B99AC5A6-2855-4239-A655-AB943E8C746E.jpeg

591BB4FF-581C-40BC-B16A-70A6865E5B94.jpeg

9B4697ED-4A0D-47FE-A9BD-48C06A553FAE.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 24

Good Morning.  I know its been awhile.  I hope everybody is doing well.  Dear Dad's health is relatively stable, it's a balancing act, but we're managing.  We're hoping we can book a cruise for fall, we're trying to find something around 3 to 4 weeks but not as much available to choose from that we would like.  DD really wants to book a world cruise but I believe they are all sold out, assuming they are even doing them, I haven't heard much talk lately.  Only thing new with me is I've been fitted with hearing aids, I have a 40% loss on average, I'm really enjoying being able to hear high pitch sounds again that I had forgotten even existed, I'm almost completely deaf with some frequencies.  The winter doldrums have really set in, the dramatic weather of fall has passed, now it's daily gloom with showers and mist that we will see for the next several months before becoming more gradual around May and June ushering in summer by July.  But maybe we'll be lucky again this year and have an earlier summer than expected.  

If any of you see me on Facebook, feel free to send a friend request, I often post in the HAL group and on Lisa Laffin's page.  

Anyway, take care, and I hope it's not another two months before I can pop in again, free time is rare these days.

~Bruno

Edited by atexsix
  • Like 28

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

Interesting days, especially Take a Cruise Day. I may in November with the free one BFF won (whispering it's on Apex). I was very young when those musicians were lost, but know the Don McLean song. I've never had a dog, but like Goldens.

I like salsa but haven't had green tomato salsa. I like the drink and the wine.

I haven't been to Japan. Thanks for the pictures.

It's been raining, and is now turning to freezing rain and sleet. Speed limits are lowered on major highways, and buses, some 18-wheelers, and other vehicles are banned from them. Some of our very steep streets have been closed, as there's no safe way to navigate them when it's icy. Snow starting early tomorrow AM. I'm staying home!

@kazu I'm glad the weather didn't keep you from visiting Jose today. Good thoughts for Marley.

@smitty34877 Wonderful to hear about Tana's improvement; may it continue! Great that she could join the family dinner via computer.

@mamaofami Sorry to hear Sam had to go to the hospital, but good news on no heart attack or stroke. He'll probably feel better with the fluid gone. Great he's coming home. They probably can control the fluid accumulation with meds if needed in future.

@Cruzin Terri I'm glad all went well at your Mayo appointment. Safe travels.

@atexsix Nice to see you Bruno.

Prayers for the Care List and a salute to the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, richwmn said:

Looks like I got Rotterdam and Nieuw Statendam mixed up this morning. Here is the corrected (I hope) fleet listing

Give us ten pushups and KP duty in the chow hall/galley tonite, and we'll let it go! 🛂

• Like 6
  • Haha 21

18 minutes ago, atexsix said:

We're hoping we can book a cruise for fall, we're trying to find something around 3 to 4 weeks but not as much available to choose from that we would like. 

You might find a back-to-back that works and hasn't been made into a collector cruise by HAL. One example that would give you 21 days is the Newfoundland and New England Discovery cruises from Boston to Quebec City (11 days) and then from Quebec City to Boston (10 days) on the return. The only repeat ports on the return are Corner Brook and Halifax. 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 5

Good Afternoon from a sunny and warm day at the beach

Late again to the party. I had to help with the annual membership drive for the library. Last year, we did it by mail and was very successful, so are doing it the same way this year. This morning, 5 of us stuffed , labelled and sealed 872 envelopes. Now we wait for the returns!

Take a cruise day sounds wonderful , we dont have one booked until Oct.  Have 3 weddings that require travel before then.  I envy all of you that are cruising! 

We had a Golden for 16 years. He was a wonderful gentle dog. Even though he was not specially trained, he watched over our DD. They had a very special bond.

@kazuGlad that you were able to visit with Jose. 

@smitty34877 Glad to hear the up report on Tana.

@mamaofami Glad to hear a better report on Sam and he is coming home.

Stay safe and enjoy today

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, puppycanducruise said:

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

Great days.  I'm planning on hoping to take a cruise, someday.  I often feed the birds.  I'll play some Buddy Holly.  I think golden retrievers are beautiful creatures.

Interesting quote.

Looking forward to seeing the recipe for today's meal suggestion.  I may save that for this summer if I can get enough green tomatoes from my garden.

The drink sounds like a snack, hope the wine is good.

Thanks in advance for all the pictures of today's port that will be posted.

Prayers for everyone.

Have a wonderful day.   Stay safe. 

271889987_3167000646917932_1430685774674571412_n.jpg

and CHOCOLATE FOR THE WISDOM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE

• Like 12
  • Haha 9

1 hour ago, 0106 said:

Thanks, I’ll order one for my husband for his bday.  We tried the one that spins but the squirrels didn’t seem to mind going for a ride.  I found a video on YouTube if you’d like to see one in action.

Hello everyone. Thank you all for the Daily! Prayers for those in need and Congrats to all celebrating!

Anyone have any solutions to keeping the mice away from eating the leftovers that fall to the ground? I had been feeding the birds for many, many years but last winter there were mice! They had burrowed into the dirt and were still there in Spring, after many snowstorms....then we got mice in the house! I'm not feeding them this winter and really miss seeing them...there were several blue jays, cardinals, as well as the sparrows. They were coming around early on but gave up since they weren't being fed.

Sure wish I was on a BHB right now!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bennybear said:

We love feeding the birds,  they need it in our winter.  We have a squirrel proof feeder, I think from Lee valley.  The birdbath gets frozen but DH does his best when it’s milder.

I have a heated birdbath which works great!  This is the one.  It doesn’t come with the pedestal; it’s just the bath and, of course, the heater with plug.

A433F189-ED7F-4891-8CD4-62FCE8425C48.thumb.jpeg.4fe78953e8271fbf49f372e6fd030130.jpeg

39 minutes ago, Love the beach said:

Hello everyone. Thank you all for the Daily! Prayers for those in need and Congrats to all celebrating!

Anyone have any solutions to keeping the mice away from eating the leftovers that fall to the ground? I had been feeding the birds for many, many years but last winter there were mice! They had burrowed into the dirt and were still there in Spring, after many snowstorms....then we got mice in the house! I'm not feeding them this winter and really miss seeing them...there were several blue jays, cardinals, as well as the sparrows. They were coming around early on but gave up since they weren't being fed.

Sure wish I was on a BHB right now!

I don’t have any mice feeding on the leftovers because the ones which fall to the ground are picked up by the ground feeders.  We use the shelled seeds so that may make a difference as the birds aren’t flinging the ones they don’t want to the ground.  😂

• Like 17

3 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I actually did book a cruise today!  Actually the process began yesterday but the final amount due was just paid a little while ago.  First we decided one of our Grand voyages had to go.  Since they've been postponing them for a couple of years now, we've ended up with the Grand Africa Oct. 10-Dec. 20, 2022, then 14 days later the Grand South America & Antarctica, Jan. 3-March 18, 2023. It's just not enough time to decompress and prepare to be gone so long.  DH preferred being home this fall for several reasons so we decided to cancel the 2022 Grand Africa and take the 2023 version in Oct. next year.  But HAL was giving us trouble concerning the FCCs and original deposit on the cancelled cruise.  They didn't want to extend and apply them to the Jan. Grand voyage.  Our TA finally got the deposit FCC applied to the January Grand voyage and they applied the bonus FCC to a Dec. 27, 2022 7 day Caribbean cruise on the Volendam.  This means we are showing up 7 days early for the Grand SA&A!  So I cancelled one cruise, added another one to the Caribbean and also added the Grand Africa in 2023.  After doing no cruising, planning or booking in 2 years this is a major change.  Fingers crossed DH doesn't change his mind!

Just heard that this will be the last Grand Voyage for South America and Antarctic.  So glad I will be able to be on this one.  It has been on my bucket list for years so I'm glad I will be able to go even if it is the last one of it's kind. 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon everyone and Happy Thursday!  It was 24F this morning. Yikes, that’s cold for us. 

Well, I definitely celebrated Take a Cruise Day. I’ve spent most of the day researching Med cruises. While we were on the holiday Rotterdam cruise I booked a 2023 Med cruise but the rep booked it for 2022 by mistake. I went back the next day after I realized the error and got everything straightened out — or so I thought. The 2022 Med cruise stayed on my account for weeks and I even got an email about it from HAL.  I don’t know how because there isn’t a deposit on it. But, Craig really wants to go this year and I wanted to go next year, so to compromise I’ve been researching. My guess is final payment will be soon for a late May sailing. So we have some thinking to do. Sorry for the long rambling post!

I stopped feeding the birds because the pigeons and doves hogged the feeder. They are just too messy. Also the roadrunners started attacking the little birds. You have never heard such a horrible commotion as a group of birds upset about fellow bird being attacked by a roadrunner. 

I like tomatillo salsa, not sure if I’ve ever had green tomato salsa. But I’m sure I’d like it with chips. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 19

29 minutes ago, lindaler said:

Just heard that this will be the last Grand Voyage for South America and Antarctic.  So glad I will be able to be on this one.  It has been on my bucket list for years so I'm glad I will be able to go even if it is the last one of it's kind. 

Linda, I'm happy to hear we will meet on the Jan. 3, Grand voyage.  Still a long way off so hopefully all will go as planned.

• Like 13