Library on Edge class ships

odysee

Just found out to my dismay that Edge class ships don’t have a library.

We just booked Beyond for Mai.

As I still prefer real books to my Kindl, I am hoping that there is at least somewhere a rack or basket where passengers can leave the books they don t want to take home and take another one.

Has someone sailing on Edge or Apex noticed this somewhere ?

Edited by odysee

There was a spot on Deck 3 near Guest Relations where you could leave a book or get a book.  We saw this in 2019 but pickings were slim. .  I didn’t look when we were on the Edge a few months ago but I would think it is still there.  

When we were last aboard they had a "Library" which consisted of a small cart near the entrance to Eden that had about  20 books on it that others had left behind.  I think the protocol was leave one and take one.

The stand was the size of a Pop Corn push cart.

I saw a picture recently of the library on an S class ship.  All of the reachable shelves were empty and I'm sure it wasn't because all the books were checked out. My DH is going to be very disappointed.  Even though he has limited taste he was always able to find a gem.

3 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

There was not when I sailed on edge. I had brought several books to donate and was told that they don’t even have a library for the crew. I hauled the books back home

But of course you were on the Inaugural sailing.  
Before Covid there was a spot to drop off books I think in Eden.

1 hour ago, Northern Aurora said:

The photo posted by @bigbenboys is so pathetic I don't even know where to start.  I wonder if the hotel department realizes that is simply a bad optic.  

My guess is it’s a newer ship and the assumption was/is anyone reading books will do it electronically.  For sure the E Class is trying to attract a younger crowd.

1 hour ago, Oville said:

My guess is it’s a newer ship and the assumption was/is anyone reading books will do it electronically.  For sure the E Class is trying to attract a younger crowd.

People have been predicting the death of the book for decades now. It's not happening.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Oville said:

But of course you were on the Inaugural sailing.  
Before Covid there was a spot to drop off books I think in Eden.

I was aboard about a year later and the same cart was there with about the same number of books.

I don't think Covid is the reason.  They don't want to spend the money for books, they want to turn libraries into revenue generating areas (hence the new inside cabins instead of libraries on revolutionized M class for example), and they think libraries only appeal to us older folks who are not their target market (and yet are their primary customers!).  My opinion.  

When we were recently on Apex, I couldn't find a book cart or exchange anywhere.  On Reflection there is still a library but a lot fewer books.  On Connie, even fewer.  In both of these, people are periodically leaving their own books for others.

One of my pet peeves is that since I know Celebrity is trying to do away with libraries they are no longer buying books.  But they waste no time in slapping the "Belongs to Celebrity" label on new books people donate.  If you won't provide books for people, at least let everyone do their own thing with book exchanges.  I was on Connie for 21 days and I left 5 or 6 of my own, finished, books in their library.  But the one brand new book I found near the end of my cruise that I wanted to take with me as I couldn't finish it onboard had the Celebrity label on it.  I can't bring myself to officially steal a book so I passed it by.  Frustrating.  

So that's my book rant for the day🙂.  A small issue in the scheme of things, but just one of the many oldies but goodies I used to enjoy that are fading away since LLP took over.

I know times change, but the lack of a formal library on many modern ships saddens me.  My heart will always be with Sovereign of the Seas (and her two sister ships), which had a lovely formal library complete with ample leather seating.  It was a wonderful, quiet place where you could relax out of the heat and away from crowds and still watch people walking by outside if you wished.  Plus, you could also always find a gem or two if you wanted something to read.  It was always one of my favorite places to escape and relax if you wanted to clear out of the (very small) stateroom while someone else was trying to get ready for dinner, etc.

A book cart in the hallway just isn't the same.

Edited by Salt Lifer

1 hour ago, phoenix_dream said:

I don't think Covid is the reason.  They don't want to spend the money for books, they want to turn libraries into revenue generating areas (hence the new inside cabins instead of libraries on revolutionized M class for example), and they think libraries only appeal to us older folks who are not their target market (and yet are their primary customers!).  My opinion.  

When we were recently on Apex, I couldn't find a book cart or exchange anywhere.  On Reflection there is still a library but a lot fewer books.  On Connie, even fewer.  In both of these, people are periodically leaving their own books for others.

One of my pet peeves is that since I know Celebrity is trying to do away with libraries they are no longer buying books.  But they waste no time in slapping the "Belongs to Celebrity" label on new books people donate.  If you won't provide books for people, at least let everyone do their own thing with book exchanges.  I was on Connie for 21 days and I left 5 or 6 of my own, finished, books in their library.  But the one brand new book I found near the end of my cruise that I wanted to take with me as I couldn't finish it onboard had the Celebrity label on it.  I can't bring myself to officially steal a book so I passed it by.  Frustrating.  

So that's my book rant for the day🙂.  A small issue in the scheme of things, but just one of the many oldies but goodies I used to enjoy that are fading away since LLP took over.

Libraries not withstanding, Ms LLP may well be the savior of Celebrity's future.  Hence under her watch, EDGE, APEX, BEYOND and ASCENT, they are all selling like lemonade on a hot summer day.  Cold harsh reality, we oldsters are not the future of cruising.  This is what a good CEO does, they look to the future to build their brand.  It ain't nana's ship anymore, and that is not a bad thing.  I like what she is doing.

Edited by LGW59
  • Like 4

On 2/19/2022 at 7:27 PM, LGW59 said:

Libraries not withstanding, Ms LLP may well be the savior of Celebrity's future.  Hence under her watch, EDGE, APEX, BEYOND and ASCENT, they are all selling like lemonade on a hot summer day.  Cold harsh reality, we oldsters are not the future of cruising.  This is what a good CEO does, they look to the future to build their brand.  It ain't nana's ship anymore, and that is not a bad thing.  I like what she is doing.

I don’t like what she is doing, but I’m not the CEO so it’s not my decision. My feeling is this - younger cruisers with children and younger cruisers without tend to book Royal for more activities. As they get older and the kids move out, they tend to drift towards the more laid back and classier Celebrity ships.   A natural and logical progression.  She seems to be aiming for the same target market as Royal, with less emphasis on kids.  And yet her ships remain filled primarily with cruisers 40+.  As to building for the future, keep in mind that even cruisers 50 years old still likely have 30+ years of cruising ahead of them. So in my non-CEO brain it seems to make sense to keep those folks happy as well.  But she’s getting paid the big bucks and has a big marketing department so I could be the one missing something here.

• Like 1

On 2/19/2022 at 7:03 PM, phoenix_dream said:

Honestly the elimination of libraries and reading rooms as we know (knew) them is a significant trend across our entire society.  Not just Celebrity.  It is the age we live in.  I like libraries and will miss them.  But I would hardly blame Celebrity (or the pandemic) for this trend.

• 2 months later...
18 hours ago, TFree said:

I just discovered a small library on Apex, on the walkway above the Eden performance space. There are about 50 books on the shelves. 

Tom & JudyDA4B4DD7-1984-4A32-8D87-3A43751F15B7.thumb.jpeg.0b9c7919c16dca4768acf616bf295014.jpeg

Is this an actual library - or just a space decorated with some books and other items?  Can you remove and read the books?

Just now, TeeRick said:

Is this an actual library - or just a space decorated with some books and other items?  Can you remove and read the books?

It is a space up on the walkway where books make up part of the content of the shelving unit. My interpretation is that, by design or by guest action, this has become a “take one, leave one“ type library. There is no mechanism to check out books, so I feel pretty confident you can just take one and return it later, or put another one in there in its place. 

Tom & Judy

• Like 2