Will you still wear a mask?

Dreamcruise27

Just a warning from someone who was just on the Summit last week: (Feb 19, 2022)

We were not only tested two days before per Celebrity Cruises protocol and we were on a charter cruise (at smaller occupancy NOT 100% or even close)  BUT we all had to do an additional Antigen test at the pier on the day of boarding and we are dealing with a POSITIVE Covid case with my husband ...he is getting the Monoclonal IV treatment as we speak.  I have tested Negative so far and am feeling fine. Most with positive cases are reporting that they thought they just had allergies - some are far sicker than that.

We were under a very false sense of security and hardly anybody wore masks.  I am hearing so far of more than 50 positive Covid cases from our sailing and climbing as people come forward.   The crew were required to mask 100% and did.    We were also cleared to go on excursions on our own in St Thomas and St. Maarten so who knows if that is where the cases were brought aboard.

Just wanted to share so you can make your own decision.  We are boarding the Summit on March 14th and I will be masking up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

We're doing a B2B on Navigator next month, the week before and after Easter, so I expect there to be lots of children on board, who may or may not be vaccinated.  We will definitely mask during the first cruise when around other people indoors to minimize chances of testing positive on the test at the end of the first cruise.  Second cruise will probably mask less, but will definitely mask whenever kids are around, and probably will mask when indoors at crowded venues.    

17 hours ago, ILgirl said:

I am on the Edge now.  On the walking track on deck at about 8 am.  A beautiful morning.  A couple,, appeared to be in their 30’s and much fitter than I, put in their KN 95 masks when they walked past me and then took them off.  Really????

I'm not sure why you would be surprised.   I do the same thing myself and in our town most people still wear masks outside even though the restrictions have been dropped.   The normal protocol is most will even walk in the street when passing to provide adequate spacing. 

I have no problem with people going maskless and  would expect them to be as respectful of others decision to protect themselves and others.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I'm not sure why you would be surprised.   I do the same thing myself and in our town most people still wear masks outside even though the restrictions have been dropped.   The normal protocol is most will even walk in the street when passing to provide adequate spacing. 

I have no problem with people going maskless and  would expect them to be as respectful of others decision to protect themselves and others.

Jim, I can understand, but please don't tell us you drive in a car by yourself with a mask on! 

8 hours ago, terrydtx said:

Watch the Congress will announce today they are going back to masks required, this was a mere political ploy for the SOU address. What changed between Monday and yesterday?

I read this morning that all entering the chamber had to be tested prior to the address.   5 members tested positive and couldn't attend.  

1 minute ago, terrydtx said:

Jim, I can understand, but please don't tell us you drive in a car by yourself with a mask on! 

Nahh... I don't wear my mask in the car by myself or would never suggest others do, even though I see people doing it daily.   I'm sure you are being tongue and cheek.   

I was  responding to someone that is "Shocked" that other passengers may not feel the same about personal safety and choose to mask up.

10 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Nahh... I don't wear my mask in the car by myself or would never suggest others do, even though I see people doing it daily.   I'm sure you are being tongue and cheek.   

I was  responding to someone that is "Shocked" that other passengers may not feel the same about personal safety and choose to mask up.

It was tongue and cheek, but if you drive for Ubber or Lift they require their drivers wear masks even when they are driving by themselves, I hope most of the masked drivers are driving for them.

On 2/28/2022 at 7:57 AM, Dreamcruise27 said:

Just wondering if people are wearing/planning on continuing to wear masks on-board. 

If you are currently onboard, please let me know what it’s like on the ship! 

Thank you!

no

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bstoeck said:

Just a warning from someone who was just on the Summit last week: (Feb 19, 2022)

We were not only tested two days before per Celebrity Cruises protocol and we were on a charter cruise (at smaller occupancy NOT 100% or even close)  BUT we all had to do an additional Antigen test at the pier on the day of boarding and we are dealing with a POSITIVE Covid case with my husband ...he is getting the Monoclonal IV treatment as we speak.  I have tested Negative so far and am feeling fine. Most with positive cases are reporting that they thought they just had allergies - some are far sicker than that.

We were under a very false sense of security and hardly anybody wore masks.  I am hearing so far of more than 50 positive Covid cases from our sailing and climbing as people come forward.   The crew were required to mask 100% and did.    We were also cleared to go on excursions on our own in St Thomas and St. Maarten so who knows if that is where the cases were brought aboard.

Just wanted to share so you can make your own decision.  We are boarding the Summit on March 14th and I will be masking up.

We are also on this cruise and have always planned to be masked in public areas as best we can.  Hope I get that verandah upgrade!

55 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Well said Jim.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

It was tongue and cheek, but if you drive for Ubber or Lift they require their drivers wear masks even when they are driving by themselves, I hope most of the masked drivers are driving for them.

I think that gets people in the habit of wearing one, so when they have a pax, it becomes automatic.

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Nahh... I don't wear my mask in the car by myself or would never suggest others do, even though I see people doing it daily.  

I've see a few taxi ans Uber Driver using mask all the time driving. They have many client. Sometime they are alone with their mask on.!!

14 minutes ago, dandee2 said:

I've see a few taxi ans Uber Driver using mask all the time driving. They have many client. Sometime they are alone with their mask on.!!

If you wear one very frequently, it's easy to forget.  DW does that all the time since she's required to wear one 8+ hours/day and we're at the 2 year mark for that. 

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I don't wear a mask and don't have a problem with others who don't wear a mask.  What I take issue with is people like the person who stood next to me at the Post Office the other day while I was picking up my mail.  He was coughing and hacking constantly -- he's the one who should be wearing a mask.

Edited by Wineaux007
  • Like 3

On 3/1/2022 at 1:52 PM, happy cruzer said:

You should be asking will you wear a N95 mask, cloth mask, paper mask, etc.?  The actual type of mask is important...  One protects yourself from others, everything protects others from you.  Very curious to know which ones those who say they will wear a mask are intending to wear.

No mask for us unless required by protocols.  On the airplane, N95.

Yes, we wear KF94 (Korean equivalent to N95). They are easier to breathe in and rarely have that odd smell we found with N95 and KN95 masks 🙂 

I agree that the actual mask is important and how you wear it. When I see people wearing their mask below their nose, wipe their nose and touch everything around them as they do groceries etc. I just shake my head... 

• Like 3

On 2/28/2022 at 12:06 PM, jerseygirl3 said:

We will in areas where there are others nearby.  On our last cruise (February 2020), my husband contracted Influenza A, even though we were vaccinated.  I'm a nurse and I've worked through this entire pandemic, and I haven't caught Covid.  We are vaccinated and boostered, and we are religious about wearing a mask and handwashing.  My husband and I have both been wearing masks for the past 2 years and we haven't gotten so much as a cold.  I just hope those who choose not to wear a mask don't harass those of us who do

I too hope everyone simply respects the decisions of others.

Thank you for your service to our safety and well-being, especially throughout this pandemic.  💖🙏

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/28/2022 at 12:59 PM, TeeRick said:

I know it is a personal choice and everybody has a comfort and risk level.  But a related question for those still choosing to wear a mask on cruise ships.  Not judging but just very interested.  What will change your mind if anything?  What sign are you looking for?  And when?  If COVID becomes truly an endemic or circulating virus (like influenza, other cold viruses, etc) never to be gone completely, for perhaps decades or forever, will you always wear masks on your cruises?  Even if COVID vaccines and boosters protect you from serious illness?  My questions assume that COVID is here to stay but becomes entirely manageable.

@TeeRick excellent discussion point - thank you for taking this approach in questioning.  I miss the early days of the pandemic when you (and others) were a vital source of scientific information to help people navigate the pandemic.

I feel that public health messaging has been inconsistent and/or poor at times.  So, my short answer to your question of what will it take is: time

My science-based, rational mind tell me it is quite safe to cruise without a mask on a ship of fully vaccinated passengers. However,  there is still some worry.

Thanks for asking what it would take to change my mind, rather than telling me it's time to change my mind.  Very helpful.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We did not wear a mask on the first sailing of the Constellation in Nov.; although, we did see a few people wearing them.  We are cruising on Holland Rotterdam in 17 days, and we will not be wearing a mask unless we enter a venue where masks are required.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, bstoeck said:

Thank you for posting this.  We leave on April 25th and will be masking up because:
We do not find it much of an inconvenience at all.
After trying several types, we now have a very comfortable assortment so that we hardly realize we have them on.
An extra layer of security from whatever germs being transmitted by those attributing symptoms to "allergies" and causing me several miserable days during my trip.

Concern about a "false sense of security" resulting in overwhelmed ship medical facilities and a repeat of March 2020.

Background: We were on the last South American cruise to dock in Buenos Aries in March 2020.  We flew back to the USA. The next sailing was banned from docking anywhere, not even Miami.  Just left people onboard to suffer and die.  If anything like that happens again, cruising is doomed.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, BklynBorn47 said:

If anything like that happens again, cruising is doomed.  

Seems like many people have short memories or don’t believe bad things will happen to them. 

• Like 1