Not Allowed Things I need for Rome

Hi all.  I will be staying in Rome for 5 days before going on Wonder of the Seas.  For those 5 days, I will be taking a power converter and a steamer.  I recognize that at least the steamer is a big no-no for RCCL but is fine for Rome.  My question: if I KNOW it's going to be confiscated at the start, should I just go ahead and put all that in my carry-on instead of the checked bag to avoid a delayed luggage drop-off?  I don't know what else to do with it otherwise.  Even if I leave the steamer at home, I'll definitely need the power converter for Rome, so just not bringing it is not an option... Thanks!

2 minutes ago, kayjaypea42 said:

Hi all.  I will be staying in Rome for 5 days before going on Wonder of the Seas.  For those 5 days, I will be taking a power converter and a steamer.  I recognize that at least the steamer is a big no-no for RCCL but is fine for Rome.  My question: if I KNOW it's going to be confiscated at the start, should I just go ahead and put all that in my carry-on instead of the checked bag to avoid a delayed luggage drop-off?  I don't know what else to do with it otherwise.  Even if I leave the steamer at home, I'll definitely need the power converter for Rome, so just not bringing it is not an option... Thanks!

Power converter? I assume you mean for an outlet to allow you to use your US plugs.  We always have one. Not sure why yoyus is a problem unless its part of an extension cord with a surge protector.    Btw hotels often will loan you a converter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Either do what Cigar King says or get Downy wrinkle release spray or if you must take it with you, definitely put it in your carry on.  Otherwise they will hold your luggage which is a hassle.  

We take clothes that won’t wrinkle, no linen for example and put all our dress shirts and dresses in dry cleaner plastic bags.  Each item is on a wire hanger in its own bag. We use a garment bag but you can also fold those items with a layer of plastic between each fold in a regular suitcase. I don’t iron anything when I travel.  Or send out on the ship the first day for ironing - it costs very little. 

I think the power converter for euro plugs is allowed but someone will chime in I’m sure if its not.  Surge protection power strips are not allowed.  

I agree with leaving steamer at home. Downy wrinkle release and hang in bathroom with stem fro shower. If you are bringing clothes that wrinkle that much, I would leave those at home e too. A lot of people have some clothes wrinkles on cruises, and nobody looks at them twice. LOL

Most things, like phones, tablets, laptops are already ok for up to 220v, and you only need an adapter for the plugs.  You need a converter for things like hair utensils, electric clocks, fans, etc. Check tags or imprints on things to see what might need the converter. You would be surprised how many things don’t need them.

• Like 1

I see little to no need for the converter in any case.  I think all ships have both 110 and 220V outlets and all that should be needed would be a plug adapter for the few things that are not dual voltage.  Will the steamer really be confiscated or taken by security and returned at the end of the voyage.  If the later why not bring it along.

Roy

While as others have said, the ship has both 110v and 220v outlets, in Rome, where the OP is staying, they will likely need a power converter (transformer).  These are allowed on cruise ships and do not pose any hazards.

• Thanks 4

8 minutes ago, gmerick said:

Sounds like you need travelers advice from the early 20th century:

Place all the contraband in it's own suitcase, and apply a 100 year old label to the outside:

image.jpeg.55fe6e19924d1c1c4b639544cb7b035e.jpegCUNARD LINE "NOT WANTED ON VOYAGE" LUGGAGE LABEL | #146956956Wanted On Voyage High Resolution Stock Photography and Images - AlamyPicture This | LL011 Bibby Line baggage label

On our first cruise back in 1981, the cabin was so small that once we unpacked, the cabin steward collected our luggage and put very similar tags on them before he hauled them off to storage.

Hard to believe we have been sailing for 41 years🛳️😎

Edited by orville99

12 minutes ago, gmerick said:

Sounds like you need travelers advice from the early 20th century:

Place all the contraband in it's own suitcase, and apply a 100 year old label to the outside:

image.jpeg.55fe6e19924d1c1c4b639544cb7b035e.jpegCUNARD LINE "NOT WANTED ON VOYAGE" LUGGAGE LABEL | #146956956Wanted On Voyage High Resolution Stock Photography and Images - AlamyPicture This | LL011 Bibby Line baggage label

When we did the crossing from UK to NYC on QE2 back in the 70's, we were moving back from the UK, and we were allowed 4 suitcases in the cabin, 2 steamer trunks in the "baggage room", and 75 cubic feet (IIRC) in the baggage hold.  We brought all the things we would need before the ocean freight container with the rest of our household got to the states.

• Like 2

Thanks y'all.  But I guess I just want to make sure that they'll return at the end of the trip if I do take a steamer or if the converter poses a problem. I do think I'll try the wrinkle release spray at home too. Thank you!

• Like 3

Some people refer to adapters as converters.  I always travel with an adapter on cruises as it gives me extra plugs.  Take a few with me when staying in foreign cities - but make sure they are appropriate for that location. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, kayjaypea42 said:

Thanks y'all.  But I guess I just want to make sure that they'll return at the end of the trip if I do take a steamer or if the converter poses a problem. I do think I'll try the wrinkle release spray at home too. Thank you!

Always see the table with confiscated items and passengers reclaiming them as we leave the ship

• Like 1

An adapter, not a converter, may be sufficient. The chargers for almost all small electronics are dual-voltage and you would need only a plug adapter (for Rome). Your cabin on the ship will have both kinds of receptacles.

The steamer is another matter. Unless it's also dual-voltage, plugging a 120-volt steamer into 240 volts will fry it, so it would need a voltage converter. But I think that it might work better either to buy a dual-voltage steamer before you go, or a 240-volt steamer when you arrive.

To me, a big drawback of RCCL cruises in Europe is that they do not have onboard laundry similar to lines such as Princess, Carnival, HAL, etc.  We don't use the laundry too much in the Caribbean, but when you are in Europe for a few days prior to or after a cruise, it is sure nice.

I wish RCCL put some self-serve laundry on their ships... 

• Like 1

Back to your original question, yes put it in your carry-on so your checked bag does not get rerouted on the ship to the naughty room where you'll have to go retrieve it. 

Had this same discussion with my wife because she wanted to use a steamer in our pre-cruise hotel. I said don't put it in your checked bag for the ship, at first she was going to throw it away as per Cigar King's suggestion, then she decided to bring it through security and they let it go through anyway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, njkruzer said:

Always see the table with confiscated items and passengers reclaiming them as we leave the ship

I Cruise only Vision and Radiance Class and even these smaller Ships usually have multiple Tables filled with Confiscated items being returned at end of Cruise. What I've seen includes many Ext Cords and Steamers

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Heymarco said:

Kochleffel is 100% correct. Adapters and converters are not the same thing. No biggie for most electronics but anything else would get fried, especially hair products.

I have a hair dryer and a flat iron that are dual voltage.  

4 hours ago, kayjaypea42 said:

They will return them. One of my friends in our group on my last RC cruise had a steamer. Had to go to the naughty room and they went through her bag in front of her and found the steamer that must have been detected by the scanner. At the end of the cruise she was able to retrieve the steamer. The only hassle is that there was a half hour wait at the naughty room as there was quite a line. Retrieving is faster as they are not searching through  bags to find contraband.

I have 2 flat irons.  One is  a full size chi from costco and was about $60.  I also have a small conair from Target that was about $20 when I bought it a few years back.  My dual hair dryer is a conair small foldable handle that has a switch for 110/220.  
Yes, I did buy it for its dual voltage. 

Edited by gfkcruiser
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

While as others have said, the ship has both 110v and 220v outlets, in Rome, where the OP is staying, they will likely need a power converter (transformer).  These are allowed on cruise ships and do not pose any hazards.

At least not more so than on land.  There are some major issues with many transformers.

Most are auto transformers, which means the "neutral" is passed straight through the device.  But the Euro Schuko plug is not polarized, so you can plug it in either way.  One way, it is great and somewhat safe (many do not connect the safety ground).  But if you plug it in the other way, the "neutral" is at 220 volts, and the "line" is at 110 volts.  Devices work OK, as the difference is 110 volts, but you now have 220 volts on the side of the device that expects 0 volts.  And also, many 110 volt appliances only switch the "line" leg, since US outlets/plugs are polarized.  So, with the transformer plugged in the wrong way, with the switch off, there is 220 volts in the device.

Are you REALLY going to carry a transformer?  They are not small and not light.

For a hair dryer, you will need one that provides at least 1500 - 1800 watts.