Do you ever stay on board during a port you aren't interested in?

17 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I have been to the “new” Coca Cay 12 times now and I have only seen the balloon in the air once. Every other time there it was too windy. I have talked to several friends about this and most of them have never seen the balloon in the air. Seems like a waste of money to have a hot air balloon that is never operational, or maybe it’s just a coincidence that I never see it in the air. 

We've seen it up 2 out of 3 times since the restart.  

21 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Coco Cay has restaurants.  So, might be worth going there just for lunch.

We usually do this on Coco cay, but rarely stay on shore for much else. The redesigned and new restaurants are orders of magnitude better than before they built the theme park. As for other ports, we generally do a "see the island" shore excursion the first time we visit a new port, and then decide on following visits whether there is any place in that port that we want to visit again. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, island lady said:

We get off the ship in almost all ports (even the ones we have been to way too many times).....just to get a little change of scenery and a little exercise, then back on the ship for lunch and to spend the rest of the day.  

The only we have started staying on without getting off....is Belize.   That long water shuttle over to one of my least favorite ports...is not worth it to me.  

I am the same.  I'll always get off at least for a little walk about in the port shopping area.  The first exception to that will be this coming Alaska cruise.  I won't bother getting off in Victoria.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tree_skier said:

I am the same.  I'll always get off at least for a little walk about in the port shopping area.  The first exception to that will be this coming Alaska cruise.  I won't bother getting off in Victoria.

Ahh...you have reasons for not getting off at that port I am sure, been there too many times perhaps?  

We loved that port, and spent the day just walking around, and a nice lunch in town on the waterfront.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, island lady said:

Ahh...you have reasons for not getting off at that port I am sure, been there too many times perhaps?  

We loved that port, and spent the day just walking around, and a nice lunch in town on the waterfront.  

Yes, I've been there a thousand times in the past but really that's not the only reason.  Primarily it is the time we stop.  We arrive at 5pm and are there until 10pm.  This stop spans the dinner hour and is just to fulfill PVSA.  I'll stay onboard and wave to my old home and native land from my balcony.  If we were arriving  earlier I might hop a cab to Tim Horton's for a double double and a Canadian Maple donut and a selfie in front of their sign.  Other than that no more interest.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Yes, I've been there a thousand times in the past but really that's not the only reason.  Primarily it is the time we stop.  We arrive at 5pm and are there until 10pm.  This stop spans the dinner hour and is just to fulfill PVSA.  I'll stay onboard and wave to my old home and native land from my balcony.  If we were arriving  earlier I might hop a cab to Tim Horton's for a double double and a Canadian Maple donut and a selfie in front of their sign.  Other than that no more interest.

I agree.   I am not into ports that arrive that late, my HH and early dinner come first.  😉 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, BND said:

We've seen it up 2 out of 3 times since the restart.  

Several people have responded saying they have seen the balloon in the air. I guess I must always go there when it is too windy. I am going to Coco Cay six time in the next four months, so hopefully I will go there on a day when the balloon is operating. 

Pre covid we were off at  nearly very port.  We rarely just walk around the port areas.  If we did just that,  we'd probably never get off again.  So may nice places to visit on the islands.  Beaches, water activities,  restaurants, historic sights,  exploring, etc. 

Since  the return to sailing, we been a little more cautious of health protocols in the various islands and have stayed on board more than usual.  The ship is often not as empty as we expect.  Apparently  lots of others stay on board as well.   We enjoy the  ship except around lunch time.  Few places available for lunch especially as I am not a fan of the  windjammer. 

Good to have options.  Stay on board/ship excursion/private excursion/ taxi to beach/nice lunch Whatever....

Regarding the balloon. We were lucky to catch it pre covid.  Only went half way up because of light winds but it was fun, terrific views  and inexpensive compared to current rates.  I think it was something like $24.99 per person!

I've seen it go up a few times, and it is a beautiful sight, but is seems to be grounded more that it goes up. 

M

13 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Pre covid we were off at  nearly very port.  We rarely just walk around the port areas.  If we did just that,  we'd probably never get off again.  So may nice places to visit on the islands.  Beaches, water activities,  restaurants, historic sights,  exploring, etc. 

Since  the return to sailing, we been a little more cautious of health protocols in the various islands and have stayed on board more than usual.  The ship is often not as empty as we expect.  Apparently  lots of others stay on board as well.   We enjoy the  ship except around lunch time.  Few places available for lunch especially as I am not a fan of the  windjammer. 

Good to have options.  Stay on board/ship excursion/private excursion/ taxi to beach/nice lunch Whatever....

Since I had my knee and ankle injury almost 3 years ago, we are more limited in what we can do.  Walking on sand isn't good for my knee, although I did a little at Coco.  Walking tours are out because although I can walk distance, I need to sit/lean every once in a while.  No hiking, biking, etc at this point.  My knee is improving and the fact I can walk the piers and around ports is a vast improvement over 2 years ago, I'm still somewhat limited.   But, I am 62 so we'll see how much improvement I get.  Much different recovery for my knee than it was when I did the same injury at 17.  Anyway, my point is a lot of people stay onboard because they have limits on what they can and can't do.  In St. Croix for example, we took a bus tour that stopped on the other side of the island in Christiansted.  We got off the bus there with some time to walk around.  Sidewalks are uneven, cracked, and there are slopes, etc so we got off and sat on a bench near the fort.   It wasn't going to be a fun walk.  As opposed to Charleston (second leg of b2b) the walks are in great shape and I was able to walk around town easily.  In Nassau we didn't get off due to the construction, long walk and how the roads/walkways are there.  You have to know your limitations.  Prior to my injury I could walk anywhere and do anything I wanted.  Appreciate what you can do while you can because it can change very quickly.

• Like 1

I used to feel that way about SXM as I was bored of the boat tours, hate sitting in a beach bar all day, don't shop, seen the planes...  But we discovered pinel island via kayaking and a whole new adventure opened up.  Now we look for that on islands.  We also look for animal refuges or hiking trails.  We have been to Cozumel so much the fish know us.  In March, we rode bikes to Sky Reef Bar and snorkeled.  We had a great day.  We plan to ride around the island next time we are there.  My point is if you try something different maybe not in Coco Cay, but in the other areas, it may make it worth it to explore.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

I used to feel that way about SXM as I was bored of the boat tours, hate sitting in a beach bar all day, don't shop, seen the planes...  But we discovered pinel island via kayaking and a whole new adventure opened up.  Now we look for that on islands.  We also look for animal refuges or hiking trails.  We have been to Cozumel so much the fish know us.  In March, we rode bikes to Sky Reef Bar and snorkeled.  We had a great day.  We plan to ride around the island next time we are there.  My point is if you try something different maybe not in Coco Cay, but in the other areas, it may make it worth it to explore.  

We also grew very tired of the water taxis and their constant chatter for tip money, and over crowding.  It is so easy to just walk to town, which gives us exercise after breakfast.  Lots of restaurants for lunch there.  A stop at the Amsterdam cheese shop on the way back, to score a package of Gouda!  🙂 

In the past, we have done the 6-8 person food and history tour several times.  Takes you all around the island (both sides) with great little out of the way restaurant stops.  Wonderful!  Will do that again as long as Covid numbers and restrictions are down.  

Edited by island lady
  • Like 2

In the 20 plus cruises we have done there has only been once we have not gotten off. It was this past Nov on Navigator of the Seas in Mazatalan Mexico.  We have been there several times and didn’t want to deal with the hassle.   We always get off and just walk around even if it’s only at the port. During this Covid time we do wait until everyone is off before we get off. We do not want to be in crowds. 

13 hours ago, helen haywood said:

I lost interest in flying awhile back so we only cruise the Caribbean out of Florida.  We drive there from Georgia.  We’ve done so many cruises in the Caribbean that we never get off anymore.  For us the ship is our destination.  I look at it as a floating hotel with ever changing ocean views.  I love sailing and I love looking at the ocean.  Don’t need to get off the ship to get exercise…can get plenty onboard!  

Sounds like us!!!

• Like 2

Nassau and Falmouth.  Costa Maya if the port time is short.  

The ship will be wonderfully quiet for at least 4 hours.  Lots of open hot tubs and chairs in the shade.  No lines in the windjammer.  Lovely.  Great time for a drink and a nap.  

The DH still likes to get off and do things.  I’d be happy to stay on board unless it’s a port we rarely get to. 

On 5/3/2022 at 9:30 AM, juanarcin said:

any one ever stayed on?

Nope. We like to get off the ship (no matter the port) even if it's only for a couple of hours. Stretch our legs, take some video, say no thank you a lot and then back on the ship to relax. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, davekathy said:

Nope. We like to get off the ship (no matter the port) even if it's only for a couple of hours. Stretch our legs, take some video, say no thank you a lot and then back on the ship to relax. 

....Then time for cocktails.  😄 🍻

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, silversneakers said:

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, staying on the ship when most are getting off!  I feel like it is mine!

It is nice indeed, though we still get off the ship for a few hours in ports we have been to way too many times....coming back before lunch, and a totally uncrowded atmosphere.  Perfect!  🙂 

Edited by island lady
  • Like 1

Even if we have been to a port a number of times I always like to get off and walk around the port, even if my DW does not feel like it and wants to stay on board and chill. It is nice however to have the ship empty and to be able to sit and chat to others who have the same idea of staying on board. We have a 9 night European cruise in September on Odyssey of the Seas and am sure we will not get off at a couple of ports due to us having been there a number of times ( I will even if it is to get a plaque or number plate for my bar in the garden at home).

8 hours ago, island lady said:

Though when we got there....did not have the most pleasant experience, both tour trip or on our own.  

One return water shuttle was so overpacked, seas rough, and storm came in.  Some rather queasy pax on that one.  🤢

Yeah, that doesn't sound pleasant. 

• Like 1