Do you ever stay on board during a port you aren't interested in?

4 hours ago, juanarcin said:

Will be on the Oasis soon and mostly decided on this cruise because I've always wanted to try an oasis (or larger) class ships, I've mostly done voyager class. However, I have very little interest in 2 of the stops (Nassau and Coco Cay). I'm just not a beach/pool person. I was interested in doing the hot air balloon in coco cay but it's sold out. So now I'm wondering if I'll be bored out of my mind or if they still have enough activities onboard during port stops. any one ever stayed on?

I have been to the “new” Coca Cay 12 times now and I have only seen the balloon in the air once. Every other time there it was too windy. I have talked to several friends about this and most of them have never seen the balloon in the air. Seems like a waste of money to have a hot air balloon that is never operational, or maybe it’s just a coincidence that I never see it in the air. 

2 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Participate 🤔

Can't say I recall doing that. On a recent cruise I had to leave pool for a lifeguard drill

They are always looking for a man overboard to get practice on running those lifeboats. You even get extra points for jumping overboard while the ship is moving. 🙂

• Haha 1

I have stayed on the ship many times instead of getting off of the ship.  I usually sit by the pool and read.  If you are not a pool person, there are not a lot of activities going on and of course the shops are closed.  Bar service, etc., is still available, the gym is open, and maybe a couple of activities in a lounge.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I have been to the “new” Coca Cay 12 times now and I have only seen the balloon in the air once. Every other time there it was too windy. I have talked to several friends about this and most of them have never seen the balloon in the air. Seems like a waste of money to have a hot air balloon that is never operational, or maybe it’s just a coincidence that I never see it in the air. 

Coincidence. I've seen it up a dozen times

We hardly get off the ship for any extended period of time . We may walk around the vendor area for a bit , but its usually too hot and humid 😁

We only cruise Oasis class so lots of walking around on the ship .

Always find some like minded people  to chat with on board too. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, neverlaysup said:

Just got off the Navigator and never left the ship. Cabo and Ensenada didn't really have anything that I wanted to do and I didn't want to spend my day being harrassed by vendors.

Ensenada is Spanish for "what a dump".  I won't set foot in Jamaica either.

At least in Coco Cay you can get a chair and umbrella and critique other people's bathing suit bodies.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

I'm surprised at all the posters that stay on the ship. I guess I haven't had enough cruises yet:) I like to get out on or in the water at each port as a diver, snorkeler or find a private sailboat to spend a day on. I bring my own gear.  I only book cruises that go to places I enjoy and haven't had a change in itinerary so far over the years. I don't do the ship excursions but rather book my own so usually uncrowded if I sail. Now if my own excursion ends a bit early I try to find a local place for lunch then enjoy coming back to a quiet ship so I understand why people like that.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, RJ257 said:

I'm surprised at all the posters that stay on the ship. I guess I haven't had enough cruises yet:) I like to get out on or in the water at each port as a diver, snorkeler or find a private sailboat to spend a day on. I bring my own gear.  I only book cruises that go to places I enjoy and haven't had a change in itinerary so far over the years. I don't do the ship excursions but rather book my own so usually uncrowded if I sail. Now if my own excursion ends a bit early I try to find a local place for lunch then enjoy coming back to a quiet ship so I understand why people like that.

Most the people answering on here are Pinnacle, they have been to these Caribbean Ports hundreds of times. These ports to them are like when you go to the grocery store where you live every week or 10 days.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I have seen it up many, many times. I really can only think of once or twice on the island that it was shut down while I was there. 

8 hours ago, fsufancc said:

Getting off in Nassau is just an awful experience.  It's like running a gauntlet of vendors all grabbing at you for a buck. 

Last cruise we went on Mrs Fan's mother had passed away just a few weeks earlier and she was just an exhausted ball of stress. I had booked it prior to her mom's passing so it was not planned. We stayed on the ship the entire time.  It was a December trip to the Bahamas, so the weather was really nice.  We found little quiet areas to sit and read. Coffee in the morning on the balcony. Happy hour in our room prior to dinner (we were on the front of the ship on the Lido deck so I could run out and get a plate of cheeses, meats and some crackers). Got a few massages and just chilled out. She was so happy and relaxed afterwards.

Last time I got off in Nassau the Straw Market was Burning Down. Got home from that Cruise early on 9/11. 

I lost interest in flying awhile back so we only cruise the Caribbean out of Florida.  We drive there from Georgia.  We’ve done so many cruises in the Caribbean that we never get off anymore.  For us the ship is our destination.  I look at it as a floating hotel with ever changing ocean views.  I love sailing and I love looking at the ocean.  Don’t need to get off the ship to get exercise…can get plenty onboard!  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, juanarcin said:

Will be on the Oasis soon and mostly decided on this cruise because I've always wanted to try an oasis (or larger) class ships, I've mostly done voyager class. However, I have very little interest in 2 of the stops (Nassau and Coco Cay). I'm just not a beach/pool person. I was interested in doing the hot air balloon in coco cay but it's sold out. So now I'm wondering if I'll be bored out of my mind or if they still have enough activities onboard during port stops. any one ever stayed on?

Example of Nassau

Soccer, Scavenger Hunt all over the ship, Laser Tag, Rock Climbing, 3-on-3 basketball. 

image.png.6dce58924674545400e4a85971d2ddca.png

image.png.3c10b0defad9b351a4443df67d90d8d0.png

Example of CocoCay

Pickleball, Basketball, Soccer, Caribbean Line Dancing, Valley Ball. 

image.png.96353a8422d2f37dcbaa28bac74b8dd8.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, island lady said:

The only we have started staying on without getting off....is Belize.   That long water shuttle over to one of my least favorite ports...is not worth it to me.  

I actually love the long water shuttles. It's like going on a catamaran excursion without having to pay.

19 hours ago, juanarcin said:

Think you will miss two great ports- especially coco cay.  A beautiful beach with great facilities and a wonderful lunch.  Also Nassau has great beaches and interesting sight seeing.

We have sailed over 50 cruises, We stay on board in port canaveral and PR.  Both not interesting IMO.  But if you haven't tried any, enjoy all and come to your own conclusions.

Celebrity has a perk of getting to use spa on port day! We took advantage of the perk in St. Lucia!
Not a fan of that island, issues, usually not fearful but that crowd freaks me out. They are not happy with us visiting their island.

5 hours ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

I actually love the long water shuttles. It's like going on a catamaran excursion without having to pay.

Though when we got there....did not have the most pleasant experience, both tour trip or on our own.  

One return water shuttle was so overpacked, seas rough, and storm came in.  Some rather queasy pax on that one.  🤢

I stay on at some ports, but there are also activites in Coco Cay.  They have a very large shaded bar area that has live music.  Just even taking the tram around the island to look at the fauna is very nice.  The food is a little different as well.  I would get off just to go the the Beach Shack resturant for funnel cakes and chicken sandwiches!

Often on European cruises (we are in the UK) we don't bother getting off, France, Spain and Italy are easily available to us via a short flight, train or ferry.

We have done cruises where we have never got off, for both of us it's a break from work. Time to read and relax.

• Like 1

We've stayed onboard in Nassau several times.  This past b2b, on the first leg we stayed onboard in St Lucia and Barbados (been to both a few times).  We've also stayed onboard in Cape Canaveral a couple of times and once in Coco Cay.   We met a couple on this past 12 night on EN who didn't get off in any port during the entire 12 days.  We've met many, especially older cruisers who never get off.  Others we get off long enough to grab lunch or just do a little shopping.  We make decisions one port at a time.