Rotterdam Waalhaven

Volendam  

Ships Without Passengers

Long Beach, CA US

Westerdam   Anchorage

0517World.thumb.png.53803a765de57a21e05a072b5b94c6ad.png
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 11

Thank you for the Tuesday Daily, Rich.  Dinosaurs were great but glad I never met one in person.  I'm trying to break out of being a pack rat.  Hypertension is a deadly silent killer.  The Fields quote sounds quite dark.  I have not been to Montenegro.  I'll pass on the meal.  My alternative is Chilled Guanabana Soup, Oven Roasted Chicken, and Peach Crisp, supplemented by a Lido Barbecue as served on MS Veendam May 17, 2016.

Today’s care list:

Tops market victims
smitty34877 DB with cancer and now with Covid
Lady Hudson SIL back in hospital with infection
Marshhawk DH mouth pain
Heartgrove older sister in hospice nearing the end
Vict0riann’s DBIL and DSIL with Covid in Australia
Cruzin Terri undergoing root canal
From the rotation:
Ukraine
St, Louis Sal with weakening legs and panic attacks
1Angelcat facing expensive medicines
Cruising along niece awaiting a kidney

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Volendam housing refugees
All but 1 BHB with guests
Hawaii getaway forRowsby
Great River Cruise for NextOne
Surgery set for dfish 1 June
4 days for rafinmd (Adventure OTS 5/21 to 5/28)
5 days Atexsix( Discovery Princess May 22-29)
5 days kochleffel( NCL Jade May 22-29)
Lady Hudson (Oasis OTS  to 5/22)  at sea
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 32
  • Thanks 9

Good morning everyone.  It will be a pleasant day here.  Thanks for the daily report and lists.  I don’t celebrate pack rats because others are often left to deal with their hobby.  It’s important to have hypertension controlled so we should all be aware.  My favorite dinosaur would be Dino from the Flintstones.  Rather harsh but funny quote by W.C.  The meal suggestion sounds nice but a bit carby for me.  I would try the drink though.  Haven’t been to today’s port and look forward to the photos.  Prayers for all of you on today’s list.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events today.

• Like 26

Good morning, Friends. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

Interesting collection of days. Hypertension awareness is very important.

I like the meal.

Yesterday I woke up a little after 5:00 AM with a headache. I started treatment right away, but it was too late. THE WORST migraine I have had in decades! I have had very few in my life that have made me nauseous, but this one did. (Usually I get everything except that.) It is still lingering this morning, so I will finish reading yesterday's and read today's Daily very few posts at a time throughout today.

Bruce, @aliaschief, I hope you and DW had a wonderful anniversary.

HAve a terrific Tuesday everyone.

🙏 and 🎉 for those on our lists.

• Like 31

Good afternoon.

It is currently 68°F and sunny with a high of 72°F expected later making it the hottest day of the year so far here in North East England.

Thank you for today's daily and fleet reports Rich.

Thank you Roy for keeping the lists updated.

Interesting days today.

Pack rat can be a person who keeps things always believing they will use them sometime or a rat which steals keys and coins and hoards them. 

Hypertension or High blood pressure usually has no symptoms but regular BP checks will spot HBP and medication can save your life.

A strange quote which I'm sure does not apply to any of us.

Nice food and drink/wine of the day.

Kotor Montenegro is a beautiful place.

Sending prayers 🙏 to all who want them.

Nice to see so many on or about to cruise shortly.

Wishing everyone the most amazing day.

Graham.

• Like 29

Good morning, everyone!

It is supposed to be a sunny day here in northeast Ohio but with much cooler temperatures than what we had last week.  Never fear, it will get back up to 90 by Friday.  I felt good yesterday as I got the laundry done and put away.  Fresh, clean sheets on the bed are always a treat.  And, I got both bathrooms cleaned.   Today I have an appointment with my PCP and then go for pre-surgical testing.  That should keep me out of trouble for a while.  

Today's meal definitely comes under the title of Comfort Food.  Using potato wedges is a nice twist and kind of reminds me of potato skins except that we keep the fleshy part of the potato in this dish.  This first recipe offers a good mix of toppings for the potato wedges.  You do have to scroll through the chef's life story to get to the recipe though.  https://www.blissfulbasil.com/loaded-nacho-potato-wedges/

1024334514_potatowedgenachos1.thumb.jpg.d90b2f3d9ca3293ad2761aae89642c4f.jpg

This next recipe isn't as complicated as the first one.  They say to use your favorite spice recipe for seasoning chicken or ribs on the potatoes.  You really can make this your own with just the idea of using potatoes instead of corn chips and then the toppings you like best.  https://www.cookstr.com/recipes/the-nacho-wedge

427774656_potatowedgenachos2.jpg.d707eafaeb4906b661c278c980ffa537.jpg

You can give them the theme you want.  Here are some Italian inspired potato wedge nachos.   https://www.countryliving.com/food-drinks/recipes/a44281/italian-potato-wedge-nachos-recipe/

700095705_potatowedgenachos3.jpg.f26da44734736e8c4e5c9b7351782e62.jpg

Here's one last version to give you ideas.  And, yes, you can put bacon on these!   https://www.taste.com.au/recipes/potato-wedge-nachos/b86a6ygk

735202182_potatowedgenachos4.jpg.18fd2a2fc8988d4e7bccfc4e6ee23d52.jpg

Prayers for all who need them, especially Ukraine, the families of the Tops victims, and our Daily family members who are dealing with health and life challenges.   Cheers to all who are celebrating.  Wishing you all a terrific Tuesday.

• Like 31
  • Thanks 6

3 minutes ago, JAM37 said:

Good morning, Friends. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

Interesting collection of days. Hypertension awareness is very important.

I like the meal.

Yesterday I woke up a little after 5:00 AM with a headache. I started treatment right away, but it was too late. THE WORST migraine I have had in decades! I have had very few in my life that have made me nauseous, but this one did. (Usually I get everything except that.) It is still lingering this morning, so I will finish reading yesterday's and read today's Daily very few posts at a time throughout today.

Bruce, @aliaschief, I hope you and DW had a wonderful anniversary.

HAve a terrific Tuesday everyone.

🙏 and 🎉 for those on our lists.

Sorry to hear you had a severe migraine discomfort yesterday Julia.

Hopefully you will be a lot better today.

Graham.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Good morning and thanks for the Daily Report.

A bright but breezy morning, today's high is only 12C (54F).

I'm afraid I may be a bit of a pack rat, but I'm working on it.  Hypertension is a big problem for many.  Dinosaurs are interesting.

Amusing quote.

The meal sounds interesting, thanks for the recipes @dfish.

Hope the drink and wine are good too.

We were in Kotor several years ago, very enjoyable day.

Prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 24

Thanks for our Tuesday Daily, Rich.

Interesting collection of days.  DH was a huge pack rat & sentimentalist so now, I’m slowly trying to deal with it.  😔 Hypertension is deadly if not dealt with so awareness is so important.  Always fascinated by dinosaurs, I think I figured out why they really disappeared 😉 

3D5FA23F-BD11-4419-81C6-0D2A3D95F1DB.jpeg.0398f426e1b81e4f56cad455067a3095.jpeg

That quote of Fields would be funny if it weren’t so sad.  Curious about today’s meal - I’ve had potato wedges & nachos but not a combination - looking forward to Debbie’s description!

Another rainy day here - oh well, it beats the snow some of our provinces are doomed to get.  And I have a bit more paperwork to tend to so I guess this is one way to make sure I do it 😉 

DD7036BE-5B95-45CC-A188-56899A4564F6.jpeg.2a9be9faae636dc9a2b7b90cf8574ed3.jpeg

@JAM37so sorry to hear of your migraine and it’s damage 😔. I hope you are feeling much better and improved today 🙏🏻 

I learned another new skill yesterday  - how to apply the special touch up paint to the stone chips on the SUV thanks to my neighbour. 👍 (another job DH would take care of)  I guess that’s what you get for taking the hospital road for 5 months - LOL.  I have very kind neighbours - willing to teach me what I need to learn ♥️ 

75CE9425-6DD9-4998-B27C-4F4F1733F2F5.thumb.jpeg.4056fee13af30402bf30e84bf7203397.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and a 🥂 to those on the Shout Out / Celebratory list.

Have a great Tuesday, everyone !

85789878-FF7A-4DE6-BBB4-881E8A9E0603.jpeg.0bd472e7ecedbdb8e5093b80363cab77.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 when / where needed.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 10

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily report.  Today is a beautiful day, the sun is shining and the temperatures are comfortable.  It sounds like our ac will get tested this weekend.  The meal suggestion sounds good and @dfish pictures and recipes look tempting and yes add the bacon!

HAL seems to have caused an issue with the internet packages last night.  When I booked them over the weekend I got an error message that the server couldn’t be reached please try again later.  The charges went through and I got the email confirming the purchases.  Last night someone manually entered the transactions causing duplicate charges.  (I have alerts set on this card). I didn’t receive a new confirmation email and only one package per itinerary shows on my booking. I tried to call but the system said that wait times were too long please try online then hung up.  Chat wasn’t available.  I then emailed the PCC and guest relations.  I currently have four pending charges when only two should appear.  Frustrating.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Another magical morning with the birds singing, the squirrels scampering & fawns zooming. 

Thank you for keeping our lists Roy. Hard to believe it has been two years. Morning Dailyites. A busy morning at the gym. Then I need to hunt for someone to repair a leaking gutter seam/joint that is leaking on my pool deck. Need to do this before the rainy season kicks in. 

Bindi is not a “digger” so she might have been in the Air Force.

D815E2EE-7AEB-48DF-8F13-5C640063CED2.jpeg.7692901aef98db6815c2193abb0a68fb.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Penley Estate 2019 Phoenix Cabernet Sauvignon

This Australian Cab sounds interesting - I mean umami-like seaweed nuance, c’mon! Excellent ratings and a very reasonable price. Numerous online distributors with prices starting at $15.99.

Winemaker Notes

Like a phoenix from the ashes, this Cabernet rises from the glass with a complex bouquet of plum, blackberry and anise with a dusting of dark chocolate. It's a delicious contemporary wine, intense and long on the palate with savoury tannins coating the mouth.

It's best drunk with food, with friends and with a roaring fire in the background.

WE94 Wine Enthusiast

This excellent wine offers aromas of blueberry, currant, terra cotta, iodine, savory spices and an umami-like seaweed nuance. There’s lovely depth of flavor, tannin structure and regional expression on the palate. Drink through 2040. Cellar Selection.

WS92 Wine Spectator

This has terrific concentration, with generous black licorice, Earl Grey, allspice and dark chocolate notes that mingle with cassis, spiced stewed plum and toasted herb details. Shows plenty of harmony on the long, expressive finish, with velvety tannins. Drink now through 2035.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 5

Good morning.  I'm drying to get rid of my pack rat habit.  DD doesn't want any of it so I'm donating alot.  Our DGS loves Dinosaur's, took him to dino world in Tampa.  Hypertension is so deadly if not kept under control.

Interesting quote.  I LOVE the meal and Debbie's recipes.

Julia I hope the day gets better with your headache.  Jacqui, love that your neighbors are taking you under their wings.

Have not been to today's destination.

Please continue to stay safe and use caution.

Makers Mark Gold Rush:

Ingredients
2 parts Maker's Mark® Bourbon
¾ part Honey Syrup
¾ part Lemon Juice
Garnish: Lemon Peel

Instructions
Add Maker’s Mark®, lemon juice, and honey syrup to an ice-filled shaker. Shake until well chilled. Strain into a rocks glass over fresh ice. Garnish with a lemon peel and serve.

*To make honey syrup combine 2 parts honey and 1 part hot water, mix until syrup consistency.

Screen Shot 2022-05-17 at 8.04.46 AM.png

• Like 27
  • Thanks 4

Good morning all...planning to enjoy this second day off from worin full.  The sun is shining, sky is blue so the garden center beckons!  Taking these days now means three days of work and then a three-day weekend for Memorial Day.  I'll take it!

While I don't think I'm a pack rat, I definitely have a lot of 'stuff' that needs to disappear.  I've already told my husband, when we move to our final 'forever' home in a few years, I don't want a basement...it will force me to be thoughtful about what gets saved and what goes.

My father suffered from hypertension (among other things) so it is something I know to guard against.  Dinosaurs are fascinating creatures, but very glad I don't share the earth with them currently.

During the skype call with my daughter, she shared that she got the hospital bill for the stay for her gall bladder...just over $40,000.  That's ONLY the hospital - the surgeon, anesthesiologist, etc. all still will send bills.  Thankfully, she has good insurance through work and this stay ended up covered 100%.  I suspect that with the maternity stay before, she hit her out-of-pocket maximum for the year.  I don't know how others with little or no insurance can manage a debt like that....

Finished block 5 of my quilt, and started block 6 last night while watching the original Downton Abbey movie on TV last night.  My husband and I plan to see the new one that comes out this weekend in the theater, so it was a nice review of things.

@Cruzin Terri wishing you the best outcome on the root canal

Sending caring thoughts to those in need and a high-five to those celebrating!

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Good morning friends!  What a pretty day it is so far.  It will be 84F later which is on the warm side but sunny all day.  Sorry to hear about your migraine Julia @JAM37.  It sounds excruciating, and I hope things get back to normal quickly for you.  😣  Terri @Cruzin Terriso sorry to hear the toothache you had will need a root canal today, but glad to hear they can get this over with so soon.  Take care!  Jacqui @kazunice to hear the neighbors are helping out with those nit picky things that always need doing.  Sounds like a nice neighborhood!

Thanks Rich @richwmn for the Daily!  When I saw Kotor for the destination today I thought we must have had that port before, but no we haven't!  Looks like I'll have to do a little digging to come up with photos that do that wonderful port justice.  As for the days, dinosaurs are an interesting topic.  Barney is my favorite.  (just kidding!).  One of my grandsons loved dinosaurs so much he announced at 3 years old he wanted to be a paleontologist!  Yes, he could pronounce it, too.  I hope I'm not a pack rat.  We have lots of stuff but the house isn't cluttered with it.  I try to find a place for everything.  Hypertension is a serious subject, and I'm glad I don't suffer with it.  DH has to watch his because he is a borderline patient.  Speaking of serious subjects, I'd say the W.C. Fields quote is an example of trying to joke around about a serious subject and I'm not so sure that's a good idea.  As for the menu item, potato wedge nachos sound delicious and probably not good for me.  But Debbie's recipes look so good!  I would have to give them a try.

Roy @rafinmd thank you for our Care and Celebration lists.  Prayers for all in need on our list and especially the Ukrainian people, and those who lost loved ones in Buffalo over the weekend.  What a horrible tragedy!  Cheers for those on the Celebration list.  Is everyone ready for their cruise?  Speaking of that, this morning I set up Walgreens appointments for our rapid tests Tuesday the 24th.  I'm going to check with the nursing staff at our doctor's office today to see if we need appointments for back up testing there.  It was mentioned to me at my physical exam in April that you could come in and have the nurses give you a test if needed.  I may end up with high blood pressure after all this is over and done with!

Have a great day everyone.  I'm off to look for photos.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning Dailyites!  I have strict instructions to wake the DH by 8,  so I just ran in to wake him up before I sat down here.  So far, he is still refusing to get up, though he may have woken up.

Last night I got creative in the kitchen, baked sweet potato and pecan encrusted salmon...tonight it's meatloaf.  Because DH and my work hours are not the same,  the nights he works late I try to be the chef (ha ha) and on the nights when I have to work late, he is the chef.  He gets meatloaf, and I get steak....I think i get the better deal. (although I do love my meatloaf)

@Cruzin TerriI hope all goes well with the root canal today.  To not be in pain is a wonderful thing.

@JAM37 So sorry to read about your migraines.  I started getting them after I graduated from college.  To the point where I often could not see, and pass out.  And get sick, and well, sounds like what you are going through.  My dad also suffered from them in his 20-40's and told me that they will end.  I haven't had one since my divorce from my first husband.  What helped me is foot massages, or soaking my hands and or feet in warm water.  Close to hot, but not quite.  And sleeping.  Good luck today.  Gentle hug being sent your way.

Pack rat?  Marie Condo helped a lot.  If it gives you joy, keep it.  So does the philosophy, if you haven't used it in two years, you probably don't need it.  My DH is always on me to get rid of things.  Why do I keep sheets that my mom gave me in 1995?  ( I still use them)  Why do I keep linen dish towels (they are souvenirs from places I went)  Books?  They do bring me joy.  Clothes? eh...who cares.  I do clean out closets one a year.  But there are things I will never use, my grandmothers champagne glasses?  Really? I havent had a drink in 30 years, and even then they are too fragile and beautiful to use.

I do need to still clean out a lot of stuff.  I try to live my life thinking if I have to move tomorrow, what do I want to take with me, and leave it at that.  I have a lot of work to do.

maxresdefault.jpg

th?id=OIP.sSdmo4lkstm4gDhq5Y-uXQHaFo&pid=Api&P=0&w=214&h=163

21ce07513e4f9420d10a9ae3845321eb.jpg

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Good Morning from a sunny and warm day at the beach

Dinosaurs were a favorite of DS when he was young. He loved anything and everything with dinosaurs. We have a very popular " Dinosaur Store" in Cocoa Beach.  Watching your Blood Pressure is very important. I always keep a random record for DH and myself. We bring it to our appointments and gives a better idea than just the one at the office. Luckily so far, we are both doing ok.

We went for a beach walk last nite and the tide was coming in. DH fell into a hole and then was hit by a wave. He was not hurt, just soaked. I wish people would fill in the sandcastles when they leave, but....

Going out to dinner tonite with friends. 2 of them are heading back north for the summer. I will miss them, as she is also one of my golf partners. They will return in December.

Stay safe and enjoy today

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Interesting thing about "reputation"  I'm wondering if the info is up to date or somehow frozen in time.

Roy

The information on reputation must be up to date Roy because I looked last week for someone and the current no2  was No1 then.

Graham.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 5

@cunnorl My first cruise was a friends wedding cruise.  Instead of an engagement ring, He bought her a beautiful huge nugget of amber with bug from your "Popular" Dinosaur store.  We went in to check it out, saw lots of things that were wonderful and not affordable on that trip.  Thank you for reminding me about that store.  They actually got married on the beach, and DH and I provided the flowers for both the beach wedding and silk flowers for the reception on board.  We got hooked on cruising, and they are no longer married.....life.

• Like 27

A very early good morning from central Texas.  I want to get started on the house cleaning so I'm not doing it all day.

The past two years I have been working to declutter and get rid of things, but we still have more to go through.  Dinosaurs are interesting to study.  Hypertension needs to be watched and controlled.

The quote sounds like W. C. Fields.

We'll pass on the meal and drink.  The wine soumds good.

We were in Kotor in 2016 and in 2019.  I thought we had it as the port of the day before too.  I'll look for my pictures later.  We enjoyed our days there.

@JAM37  Julia, I hope you feel better today.

@kazu  Jacqui, it's good the neighbors are helping  you learn more skills.  The last two years, DH has been teaching me to do things he usually does.  BUT, I drew the line at getting under the car and changing the oil.

@Crazy For Cats  I hope you get the double charges reversed soon.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Good morning everyone. Last night we went to our club house to hear an author who wrote a book about the Catskills Hotels in the day, but we had a terrible storm and she turned off the turnpike and never showed up even though most of us did. We were lucky in that the predicted tornado , hail, and heavy rain never came. Today will be sunny and almost 80. 
Mask mandates inside are back in NY and most of NJ so here we go again.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1