The Daily for Monday 05/30/2022

richwmn

Good morning everyone from a rainy SoFlo. We had big thunderstorms for an hour last evening but it looks like it might clear up later today.

My dog care days are over for now, so I'm going to clean up today, its  amazing how much mess a dog can create with his beds and toys!

If the weather clears up I'm going to watch the parade nearby. otherwise a quiet day at home..

Thinking of those who gave so much so we can enjoy our lives now.

M

• Like 33

Good morning Dailyite family.  On Wednesday instead of driving back to Oregon my son found a way to fly with his pet for all of us for half what it would cost to drive. So we will be arriving back at the cabin on the river almost two weeks earlier.  

Thank you Rich and all who contribute to the Daily that make it such a great place to be.  We will go kayaking tonight one more time before we start on our next adventure. I am actually looking forward to driving my jeep and tt back here to Alabama as I can go slow enough to enjoy and stop when I want.

Be safe. I will be reading but probably not posting as I enter the next chapter of this adventure. 

• Like 41

Good morning everyone.Today is a day to honor and remember all who have served our country and paid the ultimate sacrifice. Last nights concert was wonderful and I am so grateful we have so many good friends here where we moved almost 9 years ago. My Son in law has MS and so far he’s doing well. Praying that continues.

Happy Birthday Jacqui and Gary.

Going to sit by the pool again today with friends but the temps of the water are too cold for me to go in.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 32

Kona was a magical port on my 2019 Hawaiian cruise. We did a helicopter ride that took us around the entire Big Island. Truly amazing.  I love how the waters of the Pacific surrounding the Big Island have such an array of color. 

The traditional flight over our cruise ship - the Oosterdam.

8E395BA6-5629-4263-974C-89CF09F2D850.jpeg.ba4350dd5ca5e2dfd63aad5ec473b916.jpeg

The Southernmost point of the USA.

966B3B5B-BD24-464F-95D8-52A604612EF0.jpeg.cd3a25c88ec8f35ade12ec68715fc093.jpeg

The green sand beach. 

D40A2477-ABC1-48AD-B152-12911978FFD1.jpeg.92556618208bfd7b18b42d51cf28b6a9.jpeg

The Kilauea crater - still smoking from the most recent eruption. 

A3FB1EDF-9C90-48A8-881E-FF3C3E24167E.jpeg.e68d60c630a4175303bb624d15dbf184.jpeg

The cliffs along the Northeast side of the Big Island. 

C53F8328-972C-46B3-B603-6EDB007AA073.jpeg.b15ab3dd5d9978fcf6e744ead27ebd6c.jpeg

The 2 mile drop including a waterfall. It was fascinating to drop down the valley/crater? Not sure which it was. 

D3439B28-1C42-428A-AE6F-BB4D75C0F420.jpeg.2350b5bcf674200ae7a56432390abce1.jpeg

• Like 38
  • Thanks 6

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Wishing everyone a safe and enjoyable Memorial Day as you remember those who made the ultimate sacrifice.  I watched the always touching tribute show on PBS last night and was brought to tears when Jean Smart and Joe Mantegna told the story of a couple who lost 2 sons. 

I won't have to water flowers today, as we had a good rain late yesterday afternoon and again overnight.  Today we're in for a lot of wind with a possibility of more rain as well.  I'm usually not terribly creative, but am willing to try a lot of things, but looking back at my FB memories, on this day in 2020, I finished sewing my 300th mask to donate.  Sadly, I've known a few people who have had MS and it has taken them from us.  Our province has the highest cases per capita in the world, and they can't figure out why.  

Today is definitely not a day to be working out in the yard, so I guess we'll concentrate on the inside of the house.  Laundry (sure wish I could send out a couple of blue bags!), vacuuming and dusting, considering we're having 2 couples come over for brunch tomorrow.  I always tell people they're welcome to admire the dust, just don't write their names in it! 

Happy Birthday @GTVCRUISER with many more returns of the day!

@smitty34877I'm so glad you were able to have the BBQ and that Tana could enjoy it as well.

@cunnorl oh my gosh, what a scary situation for your DD and you!!!  So glad she wasn't severely injured; I'll bet that got your heart rate up for a good while!!!

I love today's menu suggestion, but skip the tofu.  We have some great shawarma places near us and whenever we do go there, I always get the lamb - yum!  I don't think I'll be making that for dinner tonight though, as I've got chicken in the fridge that needs to be used.  I'll be trying the recipe from a couple of days ago along with fresh corn on the cob and a tossed salad for dinner tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra prayers for the people of Ukraine and Uvalde and all who are supporting them during this time.  Extra of course, for our Daily family who are struggling.  We'll sip the wine and clink the glasses to celebrate all who make up the happy list.   Stay well, get your boosters, wear masks when you need to, and be safe.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 37
  • Thanks 1

Canada seems to have received so much bad weather this year, and winds!!! so @ger_77 you stay safe today.

@cunnorlSo scary about your DD and the sloped decking by the pool.  I am so glad that she is OK.

@cat shepard thank you for the pictures.  Reminds me of several scenes from the original Jurassic Park.

@lindaler It's great that you get to fly back instead of having to drive for two weeks.  I hope that you enjoy the drive down south.  

I believe that you can visit a country, but to see the country is to get into a car and drive it.  I still have 9 more states to get to.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2

When I was a child growing up in a USAF family, Memorial Day was still called Decoration Day and our family would travel to cemeteries in SE Ohio (where my parents were born, raised) to decorate the monuments listing the names of those who didn't return from the Civil War.

On today's Memorial Day, my DH and I will pause to remember those lost in war, give thanks for the safe return from WWII of my DF (along with his five brothers) and my DB's safe return from Vietnam. We will also offer prayers that the Ukrainian war ends.

Whatever you do today, I wish you each a safe and meaningful Memorial Day,

-Melisa

• Like 35
  • Thanks 1

Good morning from an cloudy and windy central Texas.  It is not supposed to be as hot today, but we'll see.  Last night's pulled pork turned out very well.

Today will honor all those who served and those who died fighting for our country.  Since, I don't have any flowers, I won't be watering today, and I'm not very creative.  My mother had MS when there were no drugs to help with the symptoms.

An interesting quote today.  Even with chicken instead of tofu, I think we'll pas on the meal and the wine.  DH might like the drink.

We have been to Kona three times on BHBs and once pre-digital on the old Star Princess.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, glad you are enjoying your cruise.

@smitty34877  That is great news that Tana could join the family on the patio..  You have great neighbors who are willing to help move her and all her equipment.

@cunnorl  Charlene, what a scary moment.  I'm glad your DD was not hurt.

@marshhawk  How horrible for your ex-MIL.  For 16 years with the help of a wonderful lady, my father took care of my mothers after her diagnosis of MS.

@GTVCRUISER  Gary, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

@lindaler  Linda, I'm glad your son found a quicker, less expensive way for you to get back to your cabin.  Enjoy your trip with your TT back across the country..

My pictures below are from our three BHB stops in Kona,  We were there in 2014 on Veendam, and in 2017 and 2018 on Westerdam.  We rented cars those days and drove north to Kapaau.  I have a few pictures of the area near the tender dock that were taken in 2017.

King Kamehameha statue outside the visitor center in Kapaau, and the view across the road.

DSC00785.thumb.JPG.188e55035d5bd2632c760d536f8e59f7.JPG

DSC00787.thumb.JPG.e507a44f8eb0bd08ee460f52846a1253.JPG

A couple of pretty birds on the grounds of the visitor center.

DSC03093.thumb.JPG.13411a2ea55e1bc738911fb47e197b49.JPG

For the garden club

DSC03097.thumb.JPG.0839dd43200e1cb2167598ad4026ca78.JPG

The rugged coast near the north point of the Big Island

DSC00791.thumb.JPG.baaef679c148701ad9461a3861128c5f.JPG

Lapakahi State Park

DSC00797.thumb.JPG.7690cc78cc2a371504604b5a9f940b85.JPG

A lava tube close the the highway.  We did not venture from the roadside.

DSC03090.thumb.JPG.d3da8e978823f0a04a7a6e1d899a5945.JPG

The area near the tender port

DSC08574.thumb.JPG.c4972ab9917e2ab521d5ce8e338ba15d.JPG

DSC08575.thumb.JPG.c3b4770e6d0953660a53c9f5903378d3.JPG

DSC08576.thumb.JPG.472ae459825f572c4d0f58cb219b3330.JPG

Now, it's time to go mow and trim the grass before the winds really pick up.  Today should be interesting as I learn how to use the new mower.

Lenda

• Like 37
  • Thanks 8

@GTVCRUISER, very Happy Birthday  to  you

@cunnorl, I am relieved DD was not hurt but that must have been so scary.I am also so happy that you were able to enjoy the family wedding.

@ger_77,  and @Quartzsite Cruiser, we are so very fortunate to have such helpful and caring neighbors. Tana told me later that it made her feel so good to be outside with everyone. It was a very good day for all.

• Like 31

Will try to get in an early (for me) post.  I am off to the Veterans Cemetery for their Memorial Day ceremony.  It is not a VA cemetery, but is run by  State of Colorado, but still operated with same rules as a VA cemetery.   I am so thankful that my DH chose this as his final resting place.  Three of his children live here and it is so much easier for me to go there. They always do such a nice commemoration on this day.

The Celebration of Life yesterday turned out very soggy.  We had a downpour (thank goodness), which kept people huddled together in the park shelter.  Lots of food, and plenty of folks turned out so that was nice for the family.  

Today is bright with not a cloud in the sky.  Still chilly, so I just put on warmer clothes to be outside for over an hour!  

Racing yesterday only involved last part of Indy, and then the Nascar race, which seemed to go on forever.  Good thing I am a Nascar fan, or I would have given up!

Hope everyone has a great day.  

Mary Kay

• Like 31

Thank you for the Daily and all that it entails. Shawarma might just be on the menu today-chicken, though. I’m not a tofu fan, unless I’m eating hot and sour soup. 

We had a cruise booked to Hawaii earlier this year, but dropped it for the Panama cruise and then rescheduled it due to going to Cairo when my grandson was born. The Panama cruise is rebooked for next April. Maybe the Hawaii cruise is what I will book in lieu of this failed Alaskan one. 🤔 Another thought is back-to-back Boston to Montreal/Quebec. Does HAL test for COVID on turnaround day? 

Happy Memorial Day. I love the idea of giving blood @HAL4NOW. Remembering the sacrifices that our soldiers made so that we might live in a free country is important. And, for my Ontario compatriots, so is voting. You can still vote early at the returning office, or vote the day of. Vote for whoever you connect with with respect to philosophy and costing of their platforms, honesty and transparency. Whoever that is…vote! 

Sending prayers to those who need them, even if they don’t think they do. Cheers to the celebrations. Blessings to all. 

• Like 36
  • Thanks 2

Good morning. I am early for some reason. We had a short rainfall yesterday and lots of wind and thunder. We could have used more of the former and less of the latter but I will take it. This morning is chilly but I am sure it will warm up later in the day. This will be a quiet day for me. I am still trying to sort the house (I did manage to locate the coffee maker and the coffee) and am putting lots of things aside to be donated, sold, or tossed. Any money I make will go toward the cruise fund. 

@cunnorlI am so glad your daughter escaped injury. That must have been terrifying for all concerned. And I am also glad to hear that Tana made it outside for the "doings". I am sure you all enjoyed it more with her present and enjoying a change.

Take care all. Think vacations, beaches, mountains, or oceans... and of course BHBs.

Susan

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Good morning to all.

Today we remember our fallen heroes.  We value our freedom and all they sacrificed to keep our great nation free.  I watched the Memorial Day Concert from the Capitol last night and it was very moving.  God bless all those who served and the families of those who make the ultimate sacrifice.

It is sunny here in Bluffton this morning, however we expect rain later today. Guess we will not be using the barbecue this afternoon.

Thank you Rich and Roy for the lists.

@GTVCRUISER Happy Birthday.

@dfish Thanks for the recipes but think I will pass.  Not a big fan of Tofu.

@Quartzsite Cruiserthanks for the great photos. 

And thank you to everyone for your contributions to this thread.  

I like flowers and try to remember to water them.  i wish I were more creative.

I had a friend who had MS.  Somehow I lost track of her after I stopped working.  She worked for Social Security in Baltimore and I in New York.  After I retired I we seemed not to keep in touch.  I wish I knew how she is.  I will remember to pray for her today.

I like the quote.  

My offer for the WHEELCHAIR IN A BAG is still available.  (See post #50 for the Daily for Sunday May 29). So far no takers.  If I don’t hear from anyone by the end of the week, I will seek other means to donate it.  As I said it is in perfect condition and is great and lightweight (20 lbs) is you need one to take a trip by car, boat or plane.  Or just to go shopping, etc.

I hope everyone has a great Memorial Day.  Stay safe, drive carefully, have fun.

God bless,

Terri

• Like 34
  • Thanks 1

Good morning from kind-of-foggy San Diego.  We water our flowers nearly every day here.  DD is the creative one in the family.
Our next-door-neighbor has MS and has availed herself of many new treatments.  More hold promise.

The meal and beverages all sound good.  A Light and Tonic in Kona sounds just right.

@GTVCRUISERGary, wishing you a great birthday.  Your cake is awesome.

@lindaler, looking forward to hearing of your adventures in Mobile.  We spent Fat Tuesday there one year and explored the city.  I love Mobile.

@cunnorl, thank goodness your DD is okay!

Thanks everyone for the photos and other contributions today.  @HAL4NOW, your idea of giving blood today is a wonderful one.  We will have a pretty quiet day here.  Waiting for a call from DS that new baby is on the move.  They had many challenges with their first child, so we’re praying hard for his family.

Blessings to all here on this Memorial Day.

8EEA46BB-BED2-4CB5-A8E8-C5D1AED3EB4B.jpeg.0333ef92a66c231e634c49c1e028ed04.jpeg

• Like 32
  • Thanks 2

Good morning. Thanks for the Daily.

A salute on this Memorial Day (and every day) to those who gave all.

235628140_MemorialDay2.jpg.71b164fa57e0fd07a295e2bd1420eaa0.jpg

Being creative is a talent. I hope that a cure for MS is on the horizon.

Interesting quote; children may sometimes "get it" more than adults.

I'll pass on the meal (no to tofu) or maybe try it with chicken; pass on the drink and wine.

Thanks for the Kona pictures; I'll have to see what I have.

It's going to be hot and sunny here today. I think my only outside activity will be watering some plants. No plans for today; just me here at home.

@HAL4NOW That's a fitting gesture of honor.

@StLouisCruisers Enjoy Halifax!

@smitty34877 So nice to hear Tana was able to attend the BBQ, and hats off to the neighbors who helped get her there.

@cunnorl The wedding sounds like it was wonderful and touching. Oh my on DD's fall, but it is good that she didn't suffer any major injury. Scary I'm sure!

@GTVCRUISER Happy Birthday!

@lindaler Safe travels driving back to Alabama!

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay Safe everyone.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 3