The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday June 25th, 2022

richwmn

@Cruising-alongJust saw on the news before this latest spell from hello, that you should set the AC 20 degrees less than what it is outside.  FYI, it was a hundred, we had it set at 78.  It never went off for two days, and it never got cold.  cool..  comfortable.  I close the shutters in the bedroom, close the curtains, keep it nice and dark with a ceiling fan, and that seems to work on the shady side of the house. (the bedrooms)  The part that gets full sun, not so much.  We have two fans that blow air from the back into the living room, and then I have one turned to blow into the den, and two in the den that are pretty much non stop.  And around 1 in the morning, it's nice in here.  (computer, tv, den)

@Nickelpenny  A big welcome from me, the Dailyites let me play here, even though I am a telemarketer.🙀  They are kind and wonderful people, which is why I try to send them angel wishes each night. I am very glad that you and @ktbraun have joined us today, and we hope you stay!

(btw I do call people in AZ)  Just not this month!  or any of July.

@HAL Sailer I am so sorry to read about Curt's struggles.  When DH started his cancer surgeries, he was under for 13 hours, each surgery time was less, but each time it took longer for him to "come back" to normal. And then there was his fall, which fractured his head in several places.  Now, he is very afraid of having any type of surgery, and of course we are looking at him having another surgery to do a nerve block, so that we can get him off the pain pills for the pain of nerve damage from the radiation.    I am not sure what this will involve, but he really is having a hard time controlling the pain.

@VictOriannWhat is it about men and going to the emergency room, or doctor?  Enough with the bravado guys!  We want you well so we can nag you forever!  (maybe that's just in my case)  But when things are not right, get them right!  If you can, we all have seen here over the months how long it actually takes to get in to see some doctors.

This is what this group of wonderful people do for me-

a8c1b55029cb96f76e54fa29d10a3748.jpg

• Like 17
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 2

@Cruising-along I don't think anyone can really answer that question but you.  Lately, I've been using 78 but it probably won't stay that way forever.  It's not just the temp but also the humidity, so as conditions I may adjust it either up or down.

75 sounds quite reasonable to me but don't hesitate to change it depending on the way you feel. 

Roy

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Nickelpenny said:

I have to comment. It was so nice to see you welcome ktbraun. I read the dailies a lot but it seemed to me such an exclusive group of longtime cruisers who seem to “know” each other. I am just a brand new cruiser ( just finished my 2nd cruise today and if the COVID god is generous I leave on the Westerdam tomorrow). I just didn’t think I would fit in or be accepted. It was encouraging to see the kind responses to ktbraun. 👍

Welcome aboard Nickelpenny. Think of us as a family vs a clique.

• Like 13

1 hour ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

@Cruising-alongAt the moment ours is set to start when the temp. reaches 82 but as it warms up more I usually change that to 78. And I'm a wimp too-anything over about 72 is getting too warm for me.

1 hour ago, 57redbird said:

We're in Bremerton & we have ours set at 74 --- we get the afternoon & evening sun (west facing).  Also have sun-blocker shades on our west facing windows.

@SusieKIslandGirland @57redbirdtwo more Washingtonians 🙂  Our bedroom faces the west, so we get the hottest sun in there.  We also have sun-blocker shades and love them.

1 hour ago, Navybikermom said:

Ours is set to 78. We live in the South and the summers are quite hot and humid, but we moved here because we don’t like to be cold so we don’t want the A/C set any lower than that. 😁

All my in-laws live in the South too, hot and humid.  They can tolerate heat much better than I do.

58 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

BTW, we set ours at 24C (75.2F) because it just feels too warm if it gets hotter than that in the house.  We've only had to run it once this year, but for us, summer hasn't really appeared yet - it generally happens in July and August.   Hope everyone is having a great Saturday!

Our house feels hotter above 75 too.  Of course next week will be 10-20 degrees cooler, but this will just be a good test run.

54 minutes ago, dfish said:

@Cruising-along I keep mine at 76.  When it is hot here, it is also humid.  If I can get the humidity out of the house it is much more comfortable.  The trees in the back yard do a wonderful job of shading my house and keeping it cool.  Today was a hot one, but I haven't turned on the air and it is nice and cool in the house.  

52 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

@Cruising-along My AC downstairs is set at 77/78. The room I hang out in used to be a porch and has a tin roof, so it really heats up. There's also a thru-the-wall air conditioning unit in that room, that I turn on when the rest of the first floor doesn't need to be cooled. Since my house is so big, I have a 2nd AC system for the 2nd and 3rd floors. That comes on in the evening. I have it set to 78 since the thermostat is on the hotter 3rd floor, and that cools the bedrooms on the 2nd floor to about 74-75.

Sounds like a good system you have there!

45 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

@Cruising-alongJust saw on the news before this latest spell from hello, that you should set the AC 20 degrees less than what it is outside.  FYI, it was a hundred, we had it set at 78.  It never went off for two days, and it never got cold.  cool..  comfortable.  I close the shutters in the bedroom, close the curtains, keep it nice and dark with a ceiling fan, and that seems to work on the shady side of the house. (the bedrooms)  The part that gets full sun, not so much.  We have two fans that blow air from the back into the living room, and then I have one turned to blow into the den, and two in the den that are pretty much non stop.  And around 1 in the morning, it's nice in here.  (computer, tv, den)

LOL -- right now it's only 82 outside, I don't think I should set it at 62. 🙂  But I can see how that works when the temperatures get really high!  

44 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

@Cruising-along I don't think anyone can really answer that question but you.  Lately, I've been using 78 but it probably won't stay that way forever.  It's not just the temp but also the humidity, so as conditions I may adjust it either up or down.

75 sounds quite reasonable to me but don't hesitate to change it depending on the way you feel. 

Roy

Thanks, Roy -- I asked mainly out of curiosity.  I know different parts of the country get more hot weather than we do, and people in those areas can tolerate it better than I can. Our DS and DDIL both grew up in cold(er) areas, but then lived in Southern CA enough years that their blood thinned out and now they feel cold at 75 😉  

• Like 11

2 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Welcome @ktbraun and @Nickelpenny. We're happy to see you here!  Everyone is welcome.  As others have said, most of us have never met but after a couple years of chatting here, I feel like I know everyone I hadn't already met.  

RED LETTER DAY!   We're using our new A/C for the first time today and I love it!!  Living here in WA state we don't need it often, but because of that most of us are wimps when it does get hot (and for me that's anything over 80 degrees F. 😉  

Question:  what temperature do you set yours at?  We're trying 75, and that seems to be fine.  I asked DD and DS -- she sets hers at 70 (native Washingtonian) and DS and DDIL, who just moved up from Southern CA, are happy with 80.  I guess we're taking the happy medium!

Congrats on your AC. Mine is set at 78 - unless there is something unique going on. Then I might lower it. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Pat was playing with our brand new heat pump this morning , and also giving a bit of instruction to DD for while we are away.  He has the house unit set to 24, but I’m hoping the bedroom one will be lower(at the moment we just have the windows there open).  We are also under trees, and have been comfortable for the last few years without AC, but that heat dome last year was a wake-up call to get with it!

if I’m hot I don’t sleep well, and if I don’t sleep well I am very grumpy, so air conditioning is needed .

• Like 12
  • Haha 4

I may be out of line and if so, just report the post and have it removed.

I know we are not supposed to get political here, but we are talking about everything but the elephant in the room.

I feel like I am ready to EXPLODE!

Terri

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Cruzin Terri said:

I know we are not supposed to get political here, but we are talking about everything but the elephant in the room.

Terri

Sadly, I think that's the way it needs to be.  I assume are talking about politics and we've been pretty careful about the daily.  There are times I wish it wasn't so but that tends to be how fights start.  Feel free to email me.

Roy

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Sadly, I think that's the way it needs to be.  I assume are talking about politics and we've been pretty careful about the daily.  There are times I wish it wasn't so but that tends to be how fights start.  Feel free to email me.

Roy

Thank you.

Terri

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, 0106 said:

@Cruzin TerriI would love to speak to you but your direct email is disabled. Please email me. I think I you can find my email address in my profile. 

If you click on the red EMAIL ME it will take you to my email.  If not, it is cruzinterri at hargray dot com

thanks for reaching out.

Terri

• Like 3

Another busy day here on a Fleet and Daily thread.  Thanks for all the contributions.

A big Welcome to @ktbraun and to @Nickelpenny, hope you both continue to post on these daily threads.  This group is not a clique, some of us have met either on board a ship, or ashore.

We have a sunny Sunday, temperature about 12 C, snow forecast for a few days time.

Apparently there are 100 cruise ship visits booked to our local port for the upcoming cruise season.

@Vict0riannhope that Pat will get checked over on Monday.

Best wishes to everyone on the Care List.

Take care stay safe,.

Edited by erewhon
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

@Cruzin TerriExtremely frustrated.  Your email says disabled. I unable to send a message to the email you sent me..  Trip Advisor allows private messaging.  Why doesn’t Cruise Critic? I think we are on the same page and just wanted to send my positive thoughts To you.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, 0106 said:

@Cruzin TerriExtremely frustrated.  Your email says disabled. I unable to send a message to the email you sent me..  Trip Advisor allows private messaging.  Why doesn’t Cruise Critic? I think we are on the same page and just wanted to send my positive thoughts To you.

Did you click on the red Email Me below my name?  When I click on it it opens up my email app. I did not see an email in your profile. Try Tbrein at hargray dot com

Terri

Edited by Cruzin Terri
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Terri

Aloha 🌺🌺🌺🌺

Terri,

I am also with you!!

Mahalo

Denise😑

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 0106 said:

Did you try the second email?  I don’t have any others.  No one else has had any difficulty contacting me.  I looked at your profile and you do not have an email listed there. Thanks for trying.

Terri

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

If you click on the red EMAIL ME it will take you to my email.  If not, it is cruzinterri at hargray dot com

thanks for reaching out.

Terri

I was able to email you from the red email link.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1