The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday July 28th, 2022

richwmn

Good afternoon from Edinburgh. We had a long day using yesterday’s hop on hop off bus still valid ticket getting to the Royal Yacht Britannia. It was a very good museum plus ship tour. Took some pictures on my defunct I phone but it’s recharging right now. So the phone is now just a camera because if you try and use it off airplane mode you can almost watch the battery level dropping. Maybe our guide tomorrow will know a place that I could get a quick battery change.

Our Rotterdam cruise will now be sailing out of Rotterdam so we quickly signed up and got a Hal transfer from Schiphol Airport in Amsterdam. Cruising seems to be or is such a hassle these days!

Jacqui your new furry child is such a beautiful dog. She’s one lucky canine and hopefully she will quickly realize that but it usually doesn’t happen overnight.

Today is our last day in Edinburgh and I’m ready to get out of the hustle and bustle of the large city and start seeing natural beauty. I believe we are staying in Oban tomorrow night which means a visit to Oban distillery.

Thanks for the Fleet Report.

@dfishDebbie sounds like your enjoying your cruise and hopefully Covid is behaving.

Bruce

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, 

It's another rather warm day in the Pacific Northwest (for us). Catch up time for me on back issues of the Daily. 

IRS - I was on the phone, on Tuesday, with the IRS for 5.5 hours! My issue did get resolved but 4.5 hours of that time was on hold and I had 3 different transfers. It all came down to what we'd paid in federal withholding had not been transferred on one of their forms. So, what started as a refund of just over $5000.00, then went to us owing just over $9000.00, ended up being a refund of just over $6000.00 so the time was worth it! 

In honor of yesterday's "Take your Houseplants for a Walk" day: 

https://www.arcamax.com/thefunnies/roseisrose/

I'd better get busy. Friends are coming for lunch and the menu is mini-croissant sandwiches, pasta salad and I made the lemonade pie yesterday. Hopefully they'll enjoy it! 

Karen

• Like 24
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good morning from sunny, breezy central Texas.  Nothing big on the agenda today except a haircut for me.

I used to like milk chocolate until I discovered dark chocolate.  However, in a pinch, I'll take milk chocolate just because it's chocolate. 😉  We used to go to a water park near our home when we lived in The Woodlands.  It was a nice way to spend a hot, humid summer day.  I'll gladly celebrate Buffalo Soldiers, who played a big part in taming the western part of Texas.  There are several old forts in Texas where the Buffalo Soldiers were stationed, but the best preserved is Fort Davis in Fort Davis, Texas.  We've been there many times, but I can't find any pictures of the fort.

The Stephen King quote is interesting.

We'll pass on the meal, drink and the wine today.

We have been to Portland, England, once on Prinsendam.  I'll repost my pictures in a few minutes.

Speaking of England, if any of you are like us and have some leftover pounds, the Bank of England is withdrawing the paper 20 and 50 pound notes, and the 10 pound paper note have already been withdrawn.  The paper 20 and 50 pound notes will be withdrawn on September 30, and they are being replaced with polymer notes.  We have several 20 pound paper notes which we'll give to our SDIL before he goes to England next month.  I guess our paper 10 pound note will become a souvenir.

@marshhawk  I'm glad you are feeling better today and hope the soreness goes away soon.  Also, I hope your DH gets a good report from the oncologist today.

@MISTER 67  Wow, on seven holes-in-one, and two on the same hole so close together.  Have you thought about buying a lottery ticket?  🤣

@kazu  Jacqui, thanks for the pictures of Shadow.  She looks sweet in the pictures, and I hope she settles into her new home soon.  I don't blame her for being reluctant to go into the crate after being in one and put on a long flight.  I know with patience, she will become a more trusting dog and a great companion for you as you will be for her.

@smitty34877  Terry, while I'm not surprised, I am very sorry Tana's son has Covid for the second time.  I am sure he will do his best to keep her and the rest of you from getting it.  Sending positive thoughts for both of them and that he has a mild case and recovers quickly.

@Heartgrove  Thanks for the pictures from the wedding.  Your niece looks lovely and very happy.

@1ANGELCAT  I'm sorry Fluff has a possible cancerous tumor, and sending good thoughts that surgery will take care of it.  She's a pretty kitty.

@dfish  Debbie, thank you for the report and the pictures.  We enjoyed our day in Eidfjord in 2017.  I know you will enjoy Kristiansand too.

Lenda

Being from England I take mine to my bank but you or DSIL might try this.

Graham.

Screenshot_20220728_163245_com.android.chrome.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

Love the Fleet and Daily Report.

I love milk chocolate (and dark chocolate), I've never been to a water park and don't know much about Buffalo Soldiers.

Interesting quote.

The meal sounds good, thanks for the recipes.

I'm not sure about the drink, but I'm sure I'd like the wine.

Thanks for all the pictures of Portland, it looks lovely.

Good luck with Shadow @kazu It may take a while, she's been through a lot.  She sure looks skinny maybe food will help her.  Shadow is lucky to have you.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

Here are some pics of our visit to Royal Yacht Brittania today. Single bed is Queen’s bedroom, double is the honeymoon suite, pictures of sun room, Queen’s study, dining, drawing room and it’s piano, bridge and engine room.

Royal Marine quarters.
Along with the Royal Rolls Royce.

One of these days I’ll learn to space photos on I Pad so I can comment on each.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 24
  • Thanks 3

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report.  I certainly will celebrate milk chocolate day with a few Hershey Kisses.  @1ANGELCAT I hope that the surgery helps Fluff recover.  It’s another busy day and I’m trying to complete the first phase of two projects.  I hope everyone has a good day today.

image.thumb.png.4961d1b0b8f2a3bc38a9379f5d3cd66a.png

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 15

19 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Here are some pics of our visit to Royal Yacht Brittania today. Single bed is Queen’s bedroom, double is the honeymoon suite, pictures of sun room, Queen’s study, dining, drawing room and it’s piano, bridge and engine room.

Royal Marine quarters.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Great photos of the Brittania, I always got a laugh that they called it a yacht, there are some cruise ships around that aren't as large. I saw the Brittania when the Queen paid a visit to Chicago in July of 1959 celebrating the opening of the St. Lawrence Seaway.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

Great photos of the Brittania, I always got a laugh that they called it a yacht, there are some cruise ships around that aren't as large. I saw the Brittania when the Queen paid a visit to Chicago in July of 1959 celebrating the opening of the St. Lawrence Seaway.

I’m probably on the Queens list as I misspelled Britannia!😱 Over 220 crew!

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 9
  • Haha 10

Good morning and thanks all! 
@smitty34877 so sorry to hear about Tana’s son, I hope Tana can remain safe! 
@kazu Shadow looks lovely and I’m hoping she will become comfortable soon.  

Near Portland, we visited the beautiful Jurassic coast, I even found a fossil and beautiful Lulworth cove and Durdle Door.  
image.thumb.jpeg.c2abfaaf54571106b0397cbaae2ddff0.jpeg

E7E3122D-E534-41E9-9014-8E5812340D0A.jpeg

ED6C0F90-07A5-428E-BAB5-48C794711BF8.jpeg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 4

22 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

I’m probably on the Queens list as I misspelled Britannia!😱 Over 220 crew!

In the "honeymoon suite", is that a picture of Charles and Diana on the nightstand? I know they were onboard for several weeks after they married, but it seems odd to see their picture there.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Good morning Dailyites. Hope everyone had a peaceful night, especially for Shadow and her mom;)

I have been enjoying milk chocolate covered macadamia nuts while on Maui but ya'll can have the dark chocolate. 

Thanks to all for the beautiful pictures today. Looks like a pretty place to visit.

Prayers lifted for all on Roy's care list. Cheers, prayers and blessings. 

• Like 20

Good Afternoon from an overcast but warm day at the beach

Very late today to post. Read through earlier.  

I am a dark chocolate type of girl, and water parks are quite popular around here. Mostly in Orlando but there are several and I believe we have been to them all. However, at this stage of my life, I prefer the "lazy river" ride. 

Never been to todays port, in fact have never been to England but it is on my list.

Things are quiet around here right now and I prefer to keep it that way.

@MISTER 67 That is amazing! Congratulations to you.  May you have many many more.  I have never had any, came close a few times but it would not roll. I will keep trying!

@Cruising-along  We are holding off on our 2nd booster in the hopes that the new one is available in September. We are cruising the beginning of October and hope to stay healthy.  Fingers crossed!

@Seasick Sailor It does look like them in the picture on the nightstand.

Stay safe and enjoy today

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, cunnorl said:

@Cruising-along  We are holding off on our 2nd booster in the hopes that the new one is available in September. We are cruising the beginning of October and hope to stay healthy.  Fingers crossed!

IF we can get it in September, it would actually be our 3rd booster (!)  But since it's especially for this variant, I'm hoping we'll be able to get it before cruising.  Fingers crossed for you too!

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

I’ll see if I can post today!  Pat is taking a nap, we are sailing through fog, and it is very quiet and peaceful.  I have been reading the Daily when I can, and thinking of you all.  So sorry for all the latest falls!  And strangely enough, yesterday I had word that my California cousin (with ALS)’s DH (with Alzheimer’s) had a bad fall and hit and cut his head, requiring stitches, and, while at the hospital, tested positive for Covid.  Hopefully, the X-ray won’t show any serious damage.  

Shadow is so lucky to have joined Jacqui, she will have a wonderful rest of her life.  She’s a beautiful dog.  

our cruise is going smoothly.  We had a gorgeous day in Prins Christian Sund.  I’ll try to post a few pix, and we finished that day off with a very interesting Cellar Master Dinner, in Canaletto, which seemed a bit unusual, but I guess they are keeping the Pinnacle for the Pinnace Gala dinner.  

CDD78C82-38FA-4133-B0F0-AF7A62A942E2.thumb.jpeg.10fffc7546823e09cfd01890e71c3a73.jpeg

FBD6144C-1EFF-44B1-842F-48EDB0AB5D06.thumb.jpeg.b4e630bef7174708e7a97bb84f1ca156.jpeg

EB6B5E2F-038C-4977-A303-8E8C9584FF34.thumb.jpeg.8271ec68876ce866042435ba5468650b.jpeg

00D5A09D-C78A-436F-8C6C-2A0516191EC2.thumb.jpeg.500b1fe573f3818f0eb93e8e218a6632.jpeg

• Like 31

40 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

In the "honeymoon suite", is that a picture of Charles and Diana on the nightstand? I know they were onboard for several weeks after they married, but it seems odd to see their picture there.

Pictures of them throughout the museum and ship. They had the suite on their honeymoon.

• Like 13

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Being from England I take mine to my bank but you or DSIL might try this.

Graham.

Screenshot_20220728_163245_com.android.chrome.jpg

Thanks for sharing the information about the money exchange.  I saw it when I was double checking the dates.  I was trying to keep it short and just give others a heads up.  We're not even going to ask DSIL to try to exchange it, just to use it while it's still legal tender.

1 hour ago, puppycanducruise said:

Love the Fleet and Daily Report.

I love milk chocolate (and dark chocolate), I've never been to a water park and don't know much about Buffalo Soldiers.

Interesting quote.

The meal sounds good, thanks for the recipes.

I'm not sure about the drink, but I'm sure I'd like the wine.

Thanks for all the pictures of Portland, it looks lovely.

Good luck with Shadow @kazu It may take a while, she's been through a lot.  She sure looks skinny maybe food will help her.  Shadow is lucky to have you.

The Buffalo Soldiers were the black soldiers in black regiments in the US Army after the Civil War.  They were sent to the western US to fight the Native Americans.  One theory is the soldiers were given the name Buffalo Soldiers by the Native Americans who thought their hair resembled the rough fur of the buffalo.  Another is that the name was given by the Native Americans because the soldiers' bravery and ferocity in batlle reminded the Native Americans of the way the buffalo fought.  The soldiers considered the name high praise because they knew how highly the Native Americans regarded the buffalo.

1 hour ago, aliaschief said:

Royal Marine quarters.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

When we toured the Brittania, we were told that Prince Charles insisted the twin bed in the guest room be replaced with a double bed for his and Diana's honeymoon.

@Vict0riann  Ann, thanks for the beautiful pictures, and I'm glad you had great weather there.  Sorry your cousins DH fell and cut his head, and that he has Covid.  I hope the cut was the only damage he suffered.

Lenda 

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MISTER 67 said:

There can't be many cruise ships left that are that size.  The maximum beam for a ship to fit through the seaway locks is 78 feet.  The Seabourn Quest, one of today's smallest ships is 84 feet so even the Quest is too big.  

Roy

• Like 10
  • Thanks 5

6 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

There can't be many cruise ships left that are that size.  The maximum beam for a ship to fit through the seaway locks is 78 feet.  The Seabourn Quest, one of today's smallest ships is 84 feet so even the Quest is too big.  

Roy

I was thinking back to when Epirotiki Cruises was around, they had some pretty small ships. I thought maybe there would still be some cruise ships around as small as what Epirotiki had. National Geographic has a few small vessels. The Britannia at 412 feet long was one long yacht.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Ah, a Shadow dog! The best to you, @kazu with your Shadow. Our second to  the last dog, was Shadow, an Australian Shepherd. When she passed, we kept it a secret from our 2 who were in the midst of finals at university, they later thanked us as they told us that the news would have been too upsetting. The following Christmas, we included the news with our Christmas cards as so many of our children’s cousins and friends had grown up with Shadow. 17 years of love with her. 🐾

I, too, think of Graham @grapau27 when thinking of chocolate. This week while repacking our golf things, cruise things, desert clothes, Whidbey Island gear, I found the Cadbury milk chocolate purchased in Ireland last month. Completely unharmed and absolutely delicious as an after dinner dessert! 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily/Fleet Report.

I do prefer milk chocolate. I've never visited a waterpark. A salute to the Buffalo soldiers, an important part of black history. Good quote.

I like the meal. Pass on the drink and wine.

I haven't been to Portland, England. Thanks for the photos.

We're having a good bit of rain here today, with flood warnings. We can use the precip! Maybe my lawn will green up a bit now. So I'm inside, doing a bit more decluttering and putting a few things up for sale online.

@marshhawk Good to hear you're feeling better today. 

@kazu Thanks for the pictures of Shadow. I'm sure she'll settle in with time and patience and a good Mom like you.

@StLouisCruisers Like you I hold on to the handrail going down the stairs to the basement, and I started making sure my phone is in my pocket since I live alone (although my apple watch can also call for help if I fall).

@1ANGELCAT I hope Fluff will be ok.

@Heartgrove Thanks for the lovely wedding pictures.

@smitty34877 Sorry to hear Tana's son has Covid again, and hopefully it's a mild case with a quick recovery. And I hope no one else in the house gets sick.

@dfish Good to hear from  you and thanks for the pictures. It looks like a wonderful time!

@MISTER 67 Congrats on the 7th hole in one!

@Quartzsite Cruiser Thanks for the info on the paper pound notes. I have some pounds and need to check them out.

@aliaschief Thanks for the photos of the Royal Britannia. 

@Vict0riann I'm glad you got to post today. Sorry to hear about your cousin's DH's fall and Covid; I hope he recovers well. Lovely pictures from your cruise.

Prayers for the Care List. A toast to the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 3

Good afternoon,

Thank you for the Daily and the Fleet Report to Rich and to Roy for the Cares and Celebration List.

I’m sort of late today as DH had an eye doctor appointment.  That is one of the few doctors that we go to that  is on Hilton Head. So we trudged off to that appointment.  While there I asked to be taken on as a patient.  I had been going to an Eye Doc at the Mayo but he left and I am not happy with his replacement.  Jim’s doctor is very good and also took care of Eugene.  He was very good with him.  When Eugene needed cataract surgery and a special lens, he did not charge for the very special expensive lens because of his special needs.  Always very good to him and knew how to deal with him.

Just finished reading through all the posts.  

@kazu Shadow looks very sweet and I am sure with your loving care she will be a happy pooch in no time and have the run of the house. 😊

@smitty34877 i am sorry to hear of Tana’s son’s Covid diagnosis and pray Tana doesn’t get it.  She doesn’t need that.  Please stay well.

To all of you who had falls in the last days, I wish you a speedy recovery from your bruises.

@aliaschiefThanks for the photos of the Britannia.  they are great.  I had a phone that lost its battery power when not plugged in when we were on our last cruise.  it was an IPhone 8+.  I wanted to keep it and get the battery changed.  Found out the battery was going to be quite expensive and not worth it.  Ended up buying a new updated IPhone.  Don’t know how old your phone is and realize you are not at home.  Circumstances may be different to get your phone to work.

@Quartzsite CruiserThanks for the info on the Buffalo Soldiers and the info on the British Pound.

@dfish glad you’re having a good time and thanks for the photos.

I like milk chocolate but dark chocolate better.  Not a fan of water parks.

I’ll take a pass on the food and the drink.

The wine looks good.

Have not been to the port.

Hope everyone has a good day.

God Bless,

Terri

Edited by Cruzin Terri
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Has anyone driven to Fort Lauderdale and used a park and cruise hotel? Any recommendations?

Hi Vanessa,

I have used the Fairfield Inn in Dania.  They allow free parking for, I believe, 3 weeks while you are cruising and have a shuttle to the port.  It used to be $10 each way.  i have not cruised out of Fort Lauderdale in a few years so the price may have changed as well as the amount of time you can park for free.  It may be worth giving them a call.  Sorry I don’t have the number.

Terri

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Royal Marine quarters.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Great photos.

We visited in March 2012 and stayed in the nearby Holiday Inn.

When you register for your pass to get on the Royal yacht it covers you for 12 month's unlimited visit's.

• Like 6