Will we see double point sales again ?

Ptroxx

Just curious if we’ll see double points sales any time soon    
being a solo traveler they sure add up.  
could care less about pinnacle.  
But the free wifi would be nice.      

And to be able to travel that much of course.  
Oh and that cheap name tag lol. 

7 minutes ago, flamingos said:

And that's why they won't do it again.  🙂

Absolutely. But for the time, I do think it was a smart approach to convince loyal cruisers to put money down on cruises and return when everyone was screaming at us that we must be crazy. In addition, for our case, we saw it as an opportunity to increase status quickly, so it convinced us to spend more than we normally would and book suites to get even more points. And in the end, now that we have a higher status and tangible perks, we feel like we are somewhat "stuck" with RCL and have booked all future cruises with them. So while the Pin's are all upset (but honestly, when are they not?), I don't think that marketing person was wrong in that promotion considering the circumstances. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, flamingos said:

And that's why they won't do it again.  🙂

They got rid of the old system because people were doing 3 day cruises to move up the ranks faster than the 14 day cruises.

I don't know when the last one was offered but I have a cruise next month which the double points apply.  But I don't care honestly.. Like the perks aren't like WOW to begin with.

• Haha 1

I think it was a brilliant marketing effort when they needed it the most.  Look at the headlines the last few days:  NCL is struggling, and other cruise lines, too.  RCCL said they had a booming bottom line this year so far, and I think that's because of the double points.

I'm too lazy to try and find my post from March-May 2020, but I remember posting that RCCL would make it through this pandemic and financial crises, because they have always been smart since they started in the 1960's.

• Like 1

Not likely.  To me it was an incentive/reward for people willing to book during a time that others were afraid to.   We have a b2b left this year that will be the last of our double point cruises booked during that offer.   We didn't book because of the double points.  We booked to cruise.

25 minutes ago, Jam0610 said:

No reason to offer double points unless bookings drop way off. Then I think it would be only on specific sailings.

Far easier to simply drop cruise price.

That would be much more of an incentive for me to book than points would be.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

That would be much more of an incentive for me to book than points would be.

Ditto.  Seems to only be 2 RCG cruiser categories these days anyways....newbie and diamond/above.

Edited by bucfan2

If double points ever returns, I expect it would be limited or targeted in some way.  They might limit it to certain cruises, dates, areas, categories, or what have you.

For example, Celebrity has (or recently had) some targeted promotions where they offer(ed) double points on certain cruises. 

28 minutes ago, bucfan2 said:

Seems to only be 2 RCG cruiser categories these days anyways....newbie and diamond/above.

You aren't joking about that! 😀  When we hit diamond, it was a big deal. I don't know how many years ago that was, but I'm pretty sure it was before D+/Pin even existed.  We actually had an issue on our very next cruise that led to a meeting with the Hotel Director.  He actually made a point of saying that he was going to do what he was going to do because we were diamond.

When we hit D+, there were a number of crew that said something like "oh, we heard there were some diamond plus guests on board!"

These days . . . 🤣

(I'm not complaining, either.  In fact, I find it rather funny how folks get wound up about all this stuff).

• Like 1