The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday September 3rd, 2022

richwmn

I’m to fly home tomorrow on KLM and Delta, and the latter wants me to upload various documents to something called FlyReady. But the site won’t load, NONE of the documents is actually required for my travel, and one of them seems not even to exist. They also want me to check in online, which isn’t going to work….

7017E360-E0DA-4D6D-963A-8BD642C1F394.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Haha 11

1 hour ago, aliaschief said:

Marketing has spent millions of dollars in renaming it Emerald Coast!😎😁

Back in my working days, my colleagues in the Southeast always referred to it as L.A.

10:05 am PDT -- We just had an earthquake.  Zorro the Cat is not happy.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

@XBGuy Are those turkey vultures? 

Could be.  You will probably not be surprised when I admit that is not our back yard.  To people not familiar with the area, white picket fences are not particularly popular in Diamond Bar.  Mrs. XBGuy sent the joke to me.  We do have to interlopers at our hummingbird feeder, but nothing that big.

Edited by XBGuy
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, aliaschief said:

Marketing has spent millions of dollars in renaming it Emerald Coast!😎😁

Wow, I didn’t know that. I guess marketing is trying to reshape their image. I will always know it as the Redneck Riviera. You will get a free chair and umbrella at beach if you tell them, RNB sent you. What’s this world coming too. Just found out the Eskimo Pie was renamed. Please don’t change the name of a Moon Pie!

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

Good morning and thanks all.  It’s going to be 36 C   Today. Rare in summer  Unheard of in September.  This is hotter than we were in Istanbul the same time.  

some

photos from a skyscraper in Osaka where you can see a BHB

0919632D-A255-4826-91E0-F63040EDA252.jpeg

2F7DF5F2-3107-4EA3-A2FC-9F9DA8220114.jpeg

5793138F-F19D-4073-9561-EF76D724474F.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 2

Good sunny afternoon. Well , since it’s a holiday weekend it must be time for the appliance curse to strike. 
     My 8 month old microwave died this morning, tried to get thru to the warranty company and had to listen to 3 sales pitches for nothing related to a warranty issue and no way to speak with a human. 
Not worth the aggravation for 200.00. Already taken to recycling center. Target had a new one on sale for 80.00

On a brighter note, went to Bird in Hand Fire Company for takeout Chicken BBQ dinners. It smells so good.

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists. ❤️🤞

@grapau27Bon Voyage wishes are in order I assume from the lunch picture.🎉

• Like 16

Just now, RedneckBob said:

Edy’s Pie

As reported last June I was in Sitka with friends and they were discussing Eskimos in the region when a young lady who lived in Sitka and came up to us and said, “Do not refer to those people as Eskimos. They are Inuits,” for which I replied what do you call an Eskimo Pie?” 🤪. Well, I be dogged, the company had changed the name.

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

4 minutes ago, RedneckBob said:

As reported last June I was in Sitka with friends and they were discussing Eskimos in the region when a young lady who lived in Sitka and came up to us and said, “Do not refer to those people as Eskimos. They are Inuits,” for which I replied what do you call an Eskimo Pie?” 🤪. Well, I be dogged, the company had changed the name.

Our guide in Aarhus today ventured into a delicate topic today when she tried to explain why no homeless people or beggars are seen on the streets there—except Greenlanders, who are Inuit. Her explanation was that police roust everyone else, but tolerate Greenlanders because Danes (guide was a Hungarian immigrant to Denmark) feel guilty about having introduced alcohol to Greenland. I have only been panhandled once in Denmark, in Copenhagen, not by a Greenlander. I had just left the dentist and wasn’t sympathetic.

• Like 13

6 hours ago, Crazy For Cats said:

The good sister adopted Raven’s uncle.  She named him Remy.  

image.thumb.png.9c5c8e1d3900a4f95006dd9c3bbd1c01.png

Adorable! 🙂

5 hours ago, marshhawk said:

I meant to say that for all our friends here who are suffering from this terrible heat wave, stay hydrated if you can, and i have read that sitting in the heat with a fan on, is not that healthy as it would seem, as the air continues to dry out out. 

I’m going to a BBQ/pool party in a bit to try to keep cool. 😓

1 hour ago, XBGuy said:

10:05 am PDT -- We just had an earthquake.  Zorro the Cat is not happy.

3.6 magnitude, 4 miles from Jurupa Valley, CA. Felt and sounded like a car hit the house next door. 😱

• Like 13
  • Thanks 5

There are 4 days in September for which I do not have a sunrise, including today and tomorrow.   I decided I would go all out to get one and headed off to my local parking garage.  It turned out to be cloudy but I pressed on.  Near the end of my walk the sun started to appear through the first break in the clouds.  The real thing was somewhat better than what the camera shows, but I'm posting it because my bull headedness won out over common sense.

pine0901.thumb.JPG.98e22f9fd2e44e3b8a1b1c3acbf56267.JPG

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily @richwmn.

I like cinema, although I rarely go anymore. I've tailgated once or twice for football, but usually just watch games on TV as ticket prices are outrageous. I like skyscrapers, but not the ones with clear glass floor observation areas where you can look down!  True quote.

I like the meal, but without pesto (not a fan). Pass on the drink and wine.

I haven't been to Mendelo. Thanks for the photos.

It's partly sunny and 80 here, but humid. I wanted to get the lawn mowed this AM, due to a threat of rain and also to watch the NASA Artemis launch (now scrubbed). I was dripping wet by the time I finished. Now I'm starting to deep clean the bedroom, as my new adjustable bed will come next week. I also bought a recliner yesterday, but it is being made to order and will take about 5 months due to "supply issues".

@rafinmd Sad news about Captain Workman.

@luvteaching My condolences on the loss of your friend Wayne. Prayers for his family and friends.

@cat shepard That was an awful lunch and HAL should hear complaints about it.

@aliaschief When the repair costs almost as much as a new appliance, I'd get new too. Nice pictures.

@kazu I'm glad you got some help for the garden. Sorry for the other issues that popped up.

@grapau27 Yummy looking dinner.

@kochleffel Safe travels tomorrow.

@1ANGELCAT Sorry about the microwave, but you got a great deal on a new one.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

Good afternoon everyone. The day got away from me but at least I remembered to post, although it is late. 
My condo requires our dryer vent to be cleaned every couple of years. Our handyman was here today and it’s the first time since I’m living here, 9 years

l,ast month, that anyone cleaned it from inside and outside. He said it was lucky we didn’t have a fire. 

Haven’t been sleeping well and was supposed to meet friends at the pool but was just too tired. I felt like I had hit a wall. Tomorrow is another day. We have a big Labor Day Bar BQ tomorrow night at the clubhouse. Chicken, hot dogs , hamburgers, all the fixings, salads, dessert and a live band.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

Good Afternoon!  I'm late today and will probably not be on for the next few days.  Getting down to the wire going up the mountain and only have two more days to prepare.  Today I made Chili and marinade for Chicken and washed veggies and Craig went shopping and everything is put away or frozen for our trek.  Tomorrow is DM's 93rd Birthday and we are taking her to lunch.  Yesterday I took her to a doctor's appointment and then to see her younger sister who is 90 and has been in the hospital and rehab for 3 months.  She'll be released soon and DM has really wanted to see her.  They both had tears in their eyes.  They are from a family of 13 siblings and only 3 are left, all in their 90's.  Amazing.

There are some movies that are much better on the big screen.  DH just said Hello Dolly is one of them.  Jaws is another.  Our neighborhood theater has retro movies and we have gone to a few. 

I hate, detest and avoid heights.  When we were in Las Vegas we were on the 44th floor and I hated it the entire time, especially at night.  I can't imagine going twice that high. 

I like pesto in small doses. When I buy store bought pesto I buy the Buttoni that @0106 mentioned, thank you!  I keep it frozen and just use what I need each time.  I do buy jarred pesto just to have it on hand.  I sometimes make pesto without nuts  and mix it with marinara and it's really good.  This is my favorite recipe for that:  https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/michael-symon/spaghetti-with-quick-pesto-tomato-sauce-12342801

I hope everyone has a great weekend!  See you soon from the mountain!

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good Afternoon!  I'm late today and will probably not be on for the next few days.  Getting down to the wire going up the mountain and only have two more days to prepare.  Today I made Chili and marinade for Chicken and washed veggies and Craig went shopping and everything is put away or frozen for our trek.  Tomorrow is DM's 93rd Birthday and we are taking her to lunch.  Yesterday I took her to a doctor's appointment and then to see her younger sister who is 90 and has been in the hospital and rehab for 3 months.  She'll be released soon and DM has really wanted to see her.  They both had tears in their eyes.  They are from a family of 13 siblings and only 3 are left, all in their 90's.  Amazing.

There are some movies that are much better on the big screen.  DH just said Hello Dolly is one of them.  Jaws is another.  Our neighborhood theater has retro movies and we have gone to a few. 

I hate, detest and avoid heights.  When we were in Las Vegas we were on the 44th floor and I hated it the entire time, especially at night.  I can't imagine going twice that high. 

I like pesto in small doses. When I buy store bought pesto I buy the Buttoni that @0106 mentioned, thank you!  I keep it frozen and just use what I need each time.  I do buy jarred pesto just to have it on hand.  I sometimes make pesto without nuts  and mix it with marinara and it's really good.  This is my favorite recipe for that:  https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/michael-symon/spaghetti-with-quick-pesto-tomato-sauce-12342801

I hope everyone has a great weekend!  See you soon from the mountain!

Happy birthday wishes to your DM on her 93rd birthday tomorrow!  That's wonderful!

And I hope you and Craig enjoy your mountain getaway.🌄

• Like 10

5 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

will!  I haven't read the book but my sister has and says the movie was well done.  I seem to do things backwards, so I'll probably be reading the book now lol.

Read the book. Saw the show.  The show was good, but books are always better because they have more detail.  DH enjoyed the show too, but didn't read the book.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

@Heartgrove  I am a Perez fan. Then Mick, then Bottas.  DH is a bit more fickle...Max, Lewis, Russell, well pretty much anyone but Perez.  I call Perez, my chipmunk, he's just so cute.

Well its the end of my day, so back to the tv, and catch up with the Sprint races.

I'm weird I know.

http://worth1000.s3.amazonaws.com/submissions/778500/778560_921a_625x1000.jpg

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Denali continued….

For the Garden Club. The flowers were everywhere around the McKinley Chalet and the wonderful eateries across from it. 

327A0D68-02CA-46C8-AE22-7110E55A1042.jpeg.47b4c6b49e14dd05317eaf625312b326.jpeg

B6112BA6-BFA0-4CE9-8CD7-92D651CC3E8D.jpeg.415609cdc88a67f43290704dcdd43945.jpeg

819553EE-8624-4237-9152-858E4540515B.jpeg.f71c0d41a83b62c047d62a8191225c32.jpeg

D14E44F4-D7EA-49B4-B548-EEFC874CBD4D.jpeg.e3d6d9c95ac298d19516624363adbd21.jpeg

These marigolds were HUGE!

D4695869-4C52-484B-B4FD-60A9CC50144D.jpeg.a1e450b84fc0341a37f97706ad0f6a9d.jpeg

FD4BA270-4C48-475D-B1E2-B18808A96A94.jpeg.9593f030657122da2db62bb610d20d60.jpeg

The first 10 minutes of each hour the only park road closes to allow Dall Sheep to cross safely.  Denali National Park was established to protect Dall Sheep. 

69C8C052-DCDF-4DD4-B9CF-95CB223DAC0E.jpeg.122f1629d93b8fe3f9b07a7cda265654.jpeg

We saw a few of these prairie dog type critters. 
We didn’t seem to bother them at all. 

DE98CB0F-9D84-4144-8CAE-D13FD2BCCCF3.jpeg.bed1f5715e561f387c86c4b9b1b40ff2.jpeg

And our Grizzly Bear. Hard to find even with an arrow. But we watched him graze for at least 10 minutes. And it even stood on his hind legs and shook itself - making its fur glisten in the sun. An entire bus of adults quietly watched in awe. 

C07A3ECE-DC70-47BE-9CC3-82BEF3D62E4B.jpeg.549246c812afb2d146ee8e614bac02c6.jpeg

We had an amazing bus driver who was a dog musher and really is attempting to live off the land. She is celebrating getting an Ace Hardware within 20 miles of where she lives.  I take a great deal for granted. 

Stay well everyone!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 4