The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday September 22nd, 2022

richwmn

Good morning, all! The last few days we’ve had company, so by the time I can check in its really too late to post. I have always appreciated elephants. My mother was fascinated by them, and passed that on. I got to ride one on in Thailand while we were cruising Asia on the Volendam. It was a huge thrill! I’m hoping to see herds of wild elephants on safari in Kruger in November on the Grand Africa. After seeing them wild, I don’t think I would feel right riding one in captivity. So it’s good the trips were in the order they are.

63DDC99E-0857-4777-8092-3D99DF12B0B5.thumb.png.c1c96ddb2a4d7d1c59124a94d1e71db8.png

2C3766FC-C5AD-4015-A242-FB109B3C5326.thumb.png.70c65b90d6f7d3f3f0c5247e02fab5de.png

So much has happened with our Daily family lately! @dfish that sellers behaviour was shady and immoral. I hope his ‘better offer’ turns out to be the buyer from hell, and it all falls through AFTER this jerk jumps through multiple expensive hoops to try to save the deal.

@*Miss G* I’m so sorry for your loss.

@kazu prayers that Hurricane Fiona turn out to be a non event for you.

@grapau27 in Canada almost all vehicles, other than heavy commercial ones, are standard transmission. My best friend has a manual transmission. She payed extra and went on a waiting list to get it.

Happy Thursday, everyone! I wonder where the BHBs on the Boston - Montreal cruises are riding out the storm?

• Like 21
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, dfish said:

Yes, it does stink, but nothing I can do about it now except move on.  Our realtor is putting together some homes for Sue to look at on Saturday.

Me, too!

Stick lots of pins in the voodoo doll for me!

I wondered what that noise was!

Today is turning into the day from **LL.  First we lose the house, next the report on the inspection (could cost several thousands), then the window company did not replace the windows today.   They just came out to measure so they could place the order.  I sent them the photos of the labels and they said they had ordered the windows and they would be installed today.  The guy who came out said the pictures were too blurry so they made me wait six weeks to find that out and sent him out instead of asking me to retake the pictures.  Of course, there is a $99 service charge for each visit.  They get you one way or the other.  

Now, I think I'll go back to bed and start over.

Hopefully you will find a much better house Debbie and this experience might be a blessing in disguise.

Graham.

• Like 10

37 minutes ago, highscar said:

Yeah. Got my 5th vaccination today.

Me too, going to Europe next month so decided to go for it. Had my first flight since lock down last weekend and finally decided to get the bivalent vaccine even though I really don’t appear to need it to travel,

• Like 15

38 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Sandi.

I have had numerous cars in the last 49 years including new company cars for 35 years and 4 new cars we purchased and I have never had an automatic car.

Because there are very few automatic cars in the UK they are looked on as unreliable.

Our main car brands are.

Vauxhall.

Volkswagen.

Renault.

Nissan.

Peugeot.

Toyota.

Graham.

Must add Ford to this list.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

I noticed a thread about another change to pre-testing. Went on HAL website, directs you to your booking number and name, and now our first 17 days of 45 do not require testing. Also says if we have back to backs, the ship may give you a complimentary test.. 

ours in November still requires pre-testing. ☹️

• Like 9

DS landed in Detroit a short time ago.  He mentioned their pilot was flying his last flight before retirement.  He had flown for 33 years after being in the Air Force.  In Detroit they had the fire trucks shooting a water cannon at the plane to honor his time spent with Delta.  A nice ending to DS's trip!

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

So, as I was getting all my ducks in a row before calling KLM, I noticed there is now only ONE flight to MAN that day as opposed to one every ~20-40 minutes as there was when I was booking.  Of course, that flight is over 15 hours after I arrive, putting me in MAN just in time to catch my flight to Frankfurt.  I am about to call to have them change my flight to FRA.  Will be there a day earlier, without my sister, and will somehow have to cancel and get reimbursed for the MAN-FRA flight.  Wish me luck.  🤞

• Like 21

4 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

So, as I was getting all my ducks in a row before calling KLM, I noticed there is now only ONE flight to MAN that day as opposed to one every ~20-40 minutes as there was when I was booking.  Of course, that flight is over 15 hours after I arrive, putting me in MAN just in time to catch my flight to Frankfurt.  I am about to call to have them change my flight to FRA.  Will be there a day earlier, without my sister, and will somehow have to cancel and get reimbursed for the MAN-FRA flight.  Wish me luck.  🤞

Prayers for luck for you.🤞

Roy

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily. Happy Fall (at 9PM)!

I like hobbit day, being a big Tolkien fan! I did a LOTR tour while in NZ. A salute to business women and I like elephants (and would like to see them in the wild one day). Good quote.

I've never had a sopaipillas, but they look good. Pass on the drink and wine.

I have been to Anchorage on a Ryndam sea/land package. We took a bus from Seward to Anchorage then the Mckinley Explorer train to DenaIi. I did a seaplane tour in Anchorage and didn't see much of the city. Thanks for the photos.

It's cloudy here and only going to be in the upper 60's. Going down to 46 tonight! I'm not sure what happened, but I went to bed just after 10:30 and didn't wake up until 9:30 this AM! Almost 11 hours of sleep. I never do that. I'm going to do more sorting and separating of stuff today. BFF may come over later. I haven't heard from my roofer about a start date, so I need to check into that. Sigh.

@dfish The home inspection always seems to find something. And ugh on the windows not getting replaced today. Sorry you lost the house and a pox on that seller! Hoping for good news soon on a house for you and DS. Thanks for the recipes. I only knew of the sweet variety.

@kazu You got a lot done yesterday; no wonder you were sore. Stay safe during the storm and hopefully the brunt of it bypasses you!

@Cruzin Terri I hope the contractor can get the insurance company to cover all that is needed. Good to hear you slept better. I hope your hip feels better soon.

@smitty34877 I'm pleased to hear that Tana's appointment went well. Sorry about DH's treatment not being covered. Can you look into patient assistance? My $6k/month med wasn't covered, but I get it free from the manufacturer; there wasn't even an income requirement, just that it wasn't covered.

@HAL4NOW Those pictures you posted of the fire last night look scary! Stay safe.

@*Miss G* My condolences to you and DH on the passing of your FIL. I'm glad family was able to be with him as he transitioned. Awful on the flight cancellation and the scramble to try to get another.

@kplady Congrats on your upcoming retirement!

@StLouisCruisers @grapau27 I've never driven a stick shift; I used to wish I knew how.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay safe and healthy everyone.

A few pics from my Anchorage flyover.

Getting up in the air.

1064747723_0717-Takingoff.thumb.JPG.148c8657d94b1ceacf25732df7b317e1.JPG

0720.thumb.JPG.ba0656c1ea5069c1153f175d4f17fdea.JPG

0721.thumb.JPG.c0c27d0ad13e7d4da7416625785f74ff.JPG

0724.thumb.JPG.2088bd9178add5a7782ca6d1adf57937.JPG

• Like 17
  • Thanks 8

2 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily. Happy Fall (at 9PM)!

I like hobbit day, being a big Tolkien fan! I did a LOTR tour while in NZ. A salute to business women and I like elephants (and would like to see them in the wild one day). Good quote.

I've never had a sopaipillas, but they look good. Pass on the drink and wine.

I have been to Anchorage on a Ryndam sea/land package. We took a bus from Seward to Anchorage then the Mckinley Explorer train to DenaIi. I did a seaplane tour in Anchorage and didn't see much of the city. Thanks for the photos.

It's cloudy here and only going to be in the upper 60's. Going down to 46 tonight! I'm not sure what happened, but I went to bed just after 10:30 and didn't wake up until 9:30 this AM! Almost 11 hours of sleep. I never do that. I'm going to do more sorting and separating of stuff today. BFF may come over later. I haven't heard from my roofer about a start date, so I need to check into that. Sigh.

@dfish The home inspection always seems to find something. And ugh on the windows not getting replaced today. Sorry you lost the house and a pox on that seller! Hoping for good news soon on a house for you and DS. Thanks for the recipes. I only knew of the sweet variety.

@kazu You got a lot done yesterday; no wonder you were sore. Stay safe during the storm and hopefully the brunt of it bypasses you!

@Cruzin Terri I hope the contractor can get the insurance company to cover all that is needed. Good to hear you slept better. I hope your hip feels better soon.

@smitty34877 I'm pleased to hear that Tana's appointment went well. Sorry about DH's treatment not being covered. Can you look into patient assistance? My $6k/month med wasn't covered, but I get it free from the manufacturer; there wasn't even an income requirement, just that it wasn't covered.

@HAL4NOW Those pictures you posted of the fire last night look scary! Stay safe.

@*Miss G* My condolences to you and DH on the passing of your FIL. I'm glad family was able to be with him as he transitioned. Awful on the flight cancellation and the scramble to try to get another.

@kplady Congrats on your upcoming retirement!

@StLouisCruisers @grapau27 I've never driven a stick shift; I used to wish I knew how.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay safe and healthy everyone.

A few pics from my Anchorage flyover.

Getting up in the air.

1064747723_0717-Takingoff.thumb.JPG.148c8657d94b1ceacf25732df7b317e1.JPG

0720.thumb.JPG.ba0656c1ea5069c1153f175d4f17fdea.JPG

0721.thumb.JPG.c0c27d0ad13e7d4da7416625785f74ff.JPG

0724.thumb.JPG.2088bd9178add5a7782ca6d1adf57937.JPG

Nice photos.

In the UK if you pass your driving test in an automatic car you are only covered for automatic cars and must take another test if you want to drive a manual car.

• Like 11

Good morning and thanks all!  Sorry so many are off to a rocky start this fall! 

@*Miss G* i am so sorry to hear of the loss of your DFIL.   And airline woes on top, but it sounds like you can be rerouted that will be a good thing. As from AMS to FRA MAN is out of the way.   Who did you book with?  That is usually who can help. 
@kazu I am exhausted just reading your list, hoping the  storm passes safely!  
@StLouisCruisers how is your knee?  I’m hoping you have had some improvement.  Milano is lovely, the Italian  lakes even more so. 
@dfish I truly hope something better will come along,  you deserve it! 
@smitty34877 glad Tana’s  visit went well, sorry to hear about your insurance coverage, sigh! 

Enjoying the discussion of standards, the first car I drove was a three on the tree,  first car I bought was a 65 Mustang convertible 289 cobra jet, four speed!  Such fun! DH had a standard super bee 383 magnum and DB a dodge demon 340 and then a Camaro.  Sigh!  My two muscle cars,  the second was a 1970 Mustang Mach one, 351 Cleveland that I wish I had kept.  

58E3FC07-B436-47A4-A8A7-4BC1CA9F463C.jpeg

D7B95DEA-F6F0-4857-8552-47D39556CA43.jpeg

• Like 23

Well, greetings from Bluffton.  As i sit in my kitchen, one of the unaffected rooms, and ponder what is next.  There is a water extractor in the bathroom to dry out the wall behind where the tub was,.  Part of the shower is dismantled.  

Jim and I signed the contract and we put it in the mail with the check for $500.  So I guess we can say we have made some progress.  We still do not have an estimate from the contractor.  We will get that in time.

I put away all my jewelry under lock and key.  So I think I am finished for the day.

We will head to Sherwin Williams to look at paint.  Then if we feel strong enough, we may go to Savannah to look at flooring.  But it is already after 1:30.  It will take 45 minutes to get to Savannah, at least an hour in the store and then we have to drive almost two hours back to the condo.  On second thought, we will not do the flooring today.

So that is my update for today.

Take care everyone,

Terri

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

I noticed a thread about another change to pre-testing. Went on HAL website, directs you to your booking number and name, and now our first 17 days of 45 do not require testing. Also says if we have back to backs, the ship may give you a complimentary test.. 

YAY 👏 

1 hour ago, dfish said:

Today is turning into the day from **LL.  First we lose the house, next the report on the inspection (could cost several thousands),

WHAT?  OMG.  I am so sorry 😢 

1 hour ago, dfish said:

then the window company did not replace the windows today.   They just came out to measure so they could place the order.  I sent them the photos of the labels and they said they had ordered the windows and they would be installed today.  The guy who came out said the pictures were too blurry so they made me wait six weeks to find that out and sent him out instead of asking me to retake the pictures.  Of course, there is a $99 service charge for each visit.  They get you one way or the other. 

For crying out loud 😡 Is it wine o’clock there yet?  I’d crawl under the covers too.  I am so sorry 😔. What a depressing day for you 😔 

32 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

Wishing you LOTS of luck 🤞 Here’s a shamrock in case it helps - 🍀. I hope it does.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

Yesterday DH and I got our bivalent Pfizer boosters.  Last night I had a few mild side effects (chills and aches) but today other than feeling more tired than usual I just have a sore arm.  Strangely, this one didn't affect me as much as the other ones, even though the pharmacist told me it could be worse.  We'll see if anything changes in the next 24 hours...

I'm glad you had very little reaction to the bivalent booster.  That gives me hope since the last booster and the shingles vaccine caused a significant but short lived reaction.

1 hour ago, RedneckBob said:

On another cruise to Alaska, we stopped at Haines. It was 88 degrees that day! Eight of us got together, went into town and found a local tour of the area. When we boarded the tour bus, we asked the driver/tour guide could she turn on the a/c. The lady driver said, “I will try to turn on the a/c, don’t know if it works, never turned it on before!

The first time we drove to Alaska, it was 92F in Fairbanks the day we arrived, which was warmer than it was in Texas when we left 11 days earlier.  Also, we were in Ketchikan for the 4th of July in 2018.  It was a sunny day with highs in the 80s.  The locals, who generally don't own shorts, were miserable sitting in the sun for more than an hour waiting for the parade to begin.  DH and I were very comfortable in our t-shirts and shorts, a first for us in Ketchikan.

1 hour ago, highscar said:

Yeah. Got my 5th vaccination today.  Fingers crossed for our CC friends down east, re the oncoming storm.   

Good you got your fifth vaccine today, and I hope you don't have any side effects.

1 hour ago, dfish said:

Yes, it does stink, but nothing I can do about it now except move on.  Our realtor is putting together some homes for Sue to look at on Saturday.

Today is turning into the day from **LL.  First we lose the house, next the report on the inspection (could cost several thousands), then the window company did not replace the windows today.   They just came out to measure so they could place the order.  I sent them the photos of the labels and they said they had ordered the windows and they would be installed today.  The guy who came out said the pictures were too blurry so they made me wait six weeks to find that out and sent him out instead of asking me to retake the pictures.  Of course, there is a $99 service charge for each visit.  They get you one way or the other.  

Debbie, I hope your Michigan realtor finds some great homes in your price/size range for Sue to tour Saturday.  Oh, Debbie, I hope the report about the basement wall does not wind up costing you thousand of dollars, especially since it's been that way since you moved in without any problems.  I don't know what is happening with customer service now days.  The window company telling you they'd ordered the windows and an installation date, then, changing the story today.  I hope they put a rush (at their expense) on the new windows.

Be sure to pick up some cardbordeaux today, you deserve a glass or two after today.

1 hour ago, durangoscots said:

A cool and very rainy day in Durango today. Rains started in earnest last night after some scattered showers yesterday. Had to drag the dogs out but both were cooperative and we did not get too terribly wet. It is supposed to dry out later this afternoon but more rain is forecast for next week. We can certainly use it. 

Hope we can all avoid fires, floods, and storms. I enjoy Fall as a rule and our trees are turning. I think the peak season for color will be in about 2 weeks. I notice our train is pretty crowded on it way up the mountain to Silverton. I may drive up next week if the weather holds.

Susan

Susan, it's always good to read you are getting rain today.  It will not only help your area to keep fires from breaking out, but hopefully help the areas downstream.  I noticed that the the Animas River flows into the San Jose River and eventually into the Colorado River.

54 minutes ago, Sea Viewer said:

Me too, going to Europe next month so decided to go for it. Had my first flight since lock down last weekend and finally decided to get the bivalent vaccine even though I really don’t appear to need it to travel,

Glad you got your booster.

32 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

DS landed in Detroit a short time ago.  He mentioned their pilot was flying his last flight before retirement.  He had flown for 33 years after being in the Air Force.  In Detroit they had the fire trucks shooting a water cannon at the plane to honor his time spent with Delta.  A nice ending to DS's trip!

Sandi, I'm glad your DS landed safely in Detroit, and got to see the last flight ceremony for the pilot.

29 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

I hope you get the flight mess straightened out and can cancel the one flight with a refund.

8 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Well, greetings from Bluffton.  As i sit in my kitchen, one of the unaffected rooms, and ponder what is next.  There is a water extractor in the bathroom to dry out the wall behind where the tub was,.  Part of the shower is dismantled.  

Jim and I signed the contract and we put it in the mail with the check for $500.  So I guess we can say we have made some progress.  We still do not have an estimate from the contractor.  We will get that in time.

I put away all my jewelry under lock and key.  So I think I am finished for the day.

We will head to Sherwin Williams to look at paint.  Then if we feel strong enough, we may go to Savannah to look at flooring.  But it is already after 1:30.  It will take 45 minutes to get to Savannah, at least an hour in the store and then we have to drive almost two hours back to the condo.  On second thought, we will not do the flooring today.

So that is my update for today.

Take care everyone,

Terri

Terri, I hope signing the contract lessens some of the pressure on you.  

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Excellent photos and descriptions Lenda.

Graham.

Thank you for your kind words, Graham.

Lenda

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3

13 minutes ago, bennybear said:

And airline woes on top, but it sounds like you can be rerouted that will be a good thing. As from AMS to FRA MAN is out of the way.   Who did you book with?  That is usually who can help. 

I was meeting my sister in Manchester, staying overnight, then flying to Frankfurt on Lufthansa the next day, so two separate flights.  (Sister lives in the UK.)

So I’ve just gotten off the phone with KLM and they’ve told me to call Delta.  Delta doesn’t even show that there’s a cancellation.  Off to research anything Delta may have as an option now.  Good times.  🤪

• Like 17

I have never cruised to Anchorage, but in my working days (Wow.  That was over 10 years ago.) i made a handful of trips there.  On every trip the local rep, Larry, would take me at least once to Gwennie's for a VERY hearty breakfast.

As you might imagine most Alaskans love fishing.  I heard multiple stories of people, including Larry, encountering bears while they were out fishing.  The scary ones, of course, were the ones about encountering a sow with cubs.

Not for me.  I'll continue getting my salmon at Costco.

• Like 15
  • Haha 1

Well, the carboardeaux will have to wait.  I decided I'm going to make a quick trip up to Michigan so I can tour the houses with my sister.  Meal of the Day will be on hiatus unless @0106 Tina is willing to pick it up.   I'll be gone tomorrow though Monday.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, dfish said:

Well, the carboardeaux will have to wait.  I decided I'm going to make a quick trip up to Michigan so I can tour the houses with my sister.  Meal of the Day will be on hiatus unless @0106 Tina is willing to pick it up.   I'll be gone tomorrow though Monday.

I have my fingers, toes and eyes crossed for you, Debbie. And No, I am not taking a selfie. 

• Like 14