The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday September 26th, 2022

richwmn

If a person speaks three languages, they are trilingual; if a person speaks two languages, they are bilingual; if a person speaks one language, they are American.

We left Skykomish for Westport after church yesterday, and on the way to Westport got multiple text messages telling us the evacuation level had changed from level one (Ready), to level two (set). The fire has been flanking, backing, creeping, and getting roll-out for the past few days as it burns toward town. Today and tomorrow, fire conditions are increasing as the temperatures go up and the humidity goes down.

It will be nice to be away from the smoke for a couple days, and we needed to pick up some things from the condo for our upcoming cruise. Our plan is to return to Skykomish on Wednesday, but we will keep an eye on the fire reports and determine the best timing.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 12

Good morning and thanks for the update. Zaandam is docked in Halifax and is visible on the Pier 21 webcam. 
     According to AccuWeather, Ian will be paying a visit to Pennsylvania on Saturday night into Sunday morning.

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists .🙏❤️

• Like 25
  • Thanks 3

Good morning! Another dry day here but maybe some Ian rain around Thursday. We need some rain but not in huge proportions.

Getting ready for a morning walk and of course laundry day! Other then that not much on the agenda. Do plan on getting another propane tank and a case of water just to be on the safe side.

Florida receives 1,100 new residents a day according to local statistics so there will be many folks that have never experienced a hurricane before. 
Thanks Rich for the Fleet Report and to all who participate on the Daily. Be careful it may be addicting!😁

• Like 26
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, ottahand7 said:

Good Monday morning!   It is 50 degrees here and will be jacket weather when we head to Grand Rapids Costco for DF's eye appointment.   Too cool and possibly wet this AM to work outside.   

Thank you for all the work to pull the Daily Reports together.  I love Gandhi's quote.    Pass on the drink, waiting on the cocktail.  The Grand Courtege Brut is often featured on BHB's wine list if I recall.  I have not been to today's port but look forward to beautiful photos of Grecian seas.   

Asking for a quick single time prayer for my dear friend from the lake.  This is the first year he didn't come up and since has moved to TN.  He called yesterday to tell me he broke his hip.  Please say a single prayer for my friend Frank age 97 for healing No need for him to be on our list. .  I texted with him last night after the Packers game and he sounded in good spirits.   Photo from 2020 our last dinner together for the season at our local tavern.   

Frank Elaine Nancy 2020.jpg

Sending prayers for Frank to overcome his hip break.

Graham.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, aliaschief said:

Florida receives 1,100 new residents a day according to local statistics so there will be many folks that have never experienced a hurricane before. 

One of my brothers just moved to Williston, FL, but he is coming from North Carolina and has dealt with hurricanes before. Our family was raised in Ruston, WA, and we experienced the Columbus Day Storm of 1962 (Typhoon Freda). I have never experienced a hurricane, and struggle to spell it correctly. I have no desire to experience a hurry-cane.

• Like 18
  • Haha 3

37 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  We went for a walk in the dark this morning around the neighborhood.  Just over 2.6 miles.  Looks like my part of Georgia is expecting rain Friday and Saturday from Ian.  I'm not that worried about it here, but am concerned about Tampa.  Hoping DGD is prepared and safe in her apartment there.  🙏 

Thank you Rich @richwmnfor the Fleet Report and Daily.  Watching Volendam on its journey and sorry to hear Zaandam will be hopscotching around this cruise.  As long as they stay out of the storm!  I'm happy to celebrate Family Day and apples as well as Johnny Appleseed.  European day of languages is interesting.  Agua de Jamaica is another food item I have never heard of before.  Thanks for the explanation Tina @0106.  A good quote for the day.  Iraklion which is also commonly known as Heraklion was our port of the day on Sept. 2, 2021.  Here is the link to that day's post in order to retrieve photos.

Here is what I posted about Heraklion back then.

I had to check our 2014 Prinsendam Holy Land cruise itinerary to see if I had actually been to Iraklion (Heraklion), Greece.  Yes, we had on Oct. 30, 2014.  So I looked at the photo book I made to see what the story was for that port.  Apparently it rained very hard, but we and our two friends walked off the ship anyway.  I don't remember much except I believe we stood under an overhang for a while to escape the downpour.  Luckily it didn't rain hard all day so we were able to walk around the town some.  This would be a great port for a re-visit so I can learn more about it and see things through fresh eyes.

Iraklion, or Heraklion Greece.  This is the Koules fortress on the western pier of the harbor.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKLin-wG9icW5ITIryMqpOr?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416774644

It appears that you should build with what you have, so they did.  Must be a lot of rock/stone here!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKyWdgKNk-zdikqMOQxIciq?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416774569

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKUtTtoX6AgErF-uAj9YCiN?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416774575

The Town Hall also called the Venetian Loggia00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL2BB3G-OP2JdJZAho8G3IL?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416774578

A marketplace00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKrJLKw_Y_5eUELZmgS2_Eg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416774587

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKc87xM6eOr2UjHNGL_lO9k?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416774594

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJNDkh3jjU5YNu3NvKKBbfg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416774597

STAY!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKNTwGuP8DskJF3OEweJsMV?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416774606

A good place for people watching00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI_Wi0dJNR44NnjulPFBFCI?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416774599

The Cathedral of Saint Minas is a magnificent Greek Orthodox cathedral which took 33 years to build due to major political interruptions.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK-rFQ2Eb1sKmigAP_5z4na?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416774609

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIqFdc_vKitAW_Ca05iRbTm?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416774611

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJNFvq-ydeO88SaquPn9VpK?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416774612

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJsKC6KY9qs73j4Wc0OYj_B?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416774630

Can you believe the woodwork?00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJd09qO0umlCPtD-gaYLIr3?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416774631

It's beautiful inside.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIGziIBJcGOAPXjpKWVqZes?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416774616

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKjqwb0emk3bh_2xYawaF8q?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416774619

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIncfSrCxQCpkGO8yf1QFKm?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416774622

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJmAFcC6rPe92viCX6XqINV?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416774624

As we left you see the front elevation.  The rain had stopped!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJIveGL6jwwYlm7zWxwDsBW?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416774640

This is the older, smaller Saint Minas.  It was too small to meet the needs of the community  so they built the larger cathedral next to it.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK6Y3GQLZvkhRJ6n_llR4tj?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416774641

Yes, I'd like to go back.  I'm sure there's plenty of things we missed that day.  Watch for Iraklion or Heraklion on your Greek itineraries.

Thanks to Roy @rafinmdfor the Care and Celebration lists.  Prayers for all on the Care list as well as those affected by Fiona and Ian, flooding and wildfires, my neighbor Linda, and the people of Ukraine.  Cheers for those on the Celebration list.  Hooray for you all!  Can't wait to hear more from Debbie @dfishon her home offer.  Good luck to Terri @Cruzin Terriand DH this week.  Hope it all works out for your anniversary vacation.  Have a wonderful Monday!

Nice photos Sandi and prayers for your DGDs safety in Tampa.

Graham.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Our 11alive  tv team is saying that Ian will hit Georgia (Atlanta area) on Friday.  I was in Florida on Anna Marie Island when Opal started up.  Got a high tide, the sea was green, the  sky was green, but that was all.  Got back home to Atlanta, we had had no power for a week.  Eegads, the fridge was a mess!  

Have a great day!  Be safe.

I saw a great sign on the wall of the restaurant at the Holiday Inn that we stayed at in Mobile.

Half the things we worry about will never happen.  The other half will happen and there is nothing you can do to change it.  So why worry?

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  Although I only speak 1 language fluently (2 if you count sarcasm), I do try to learn a few words of the language where we will be visiting before each cruise.  Yay for Johnny Appleseed - I love apples.  We are grateful that we have family we can visit and know they are safe.

What should be a peaceful, quiet Monday morning is turning into a loud one - a new home is being built behind us about 2 houses away.  Not sure what the machines are doing, but there's a lot of crashing and thumping going on; I hope it doesn't continue throughout the entire day.  Maybe we'll have to go shopping to escape the noise - at least that's the excuse I'll use.  LOL

Not a lot happening here today; I think I'll have to go through the credit card bills to see what I can shred (a monthly task once the statement comes in), and what needs to be saved for warranties, etc.  It's a rather thankless task, but has proven helpful once or twice when questioning a charge on the statement.

@ottahand7will definitely offer up a prayer for Frank to recover from his broken hip.

@kazuI'm glad you escaped most of the wrath of Fiona and hope Ian veers off to spare you more trouble.

@dfish keeping my fingers crossed that your offer is accepted on the new house.

I like today's menu suggestion; a liquid dinner instead of a liquid lunch.  LOL   I think we'll be having panko crusted salmon along with dilled potatoes and a salad for dinner on the deck tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for those who are hurting, cheers to all with great things to celebrate.   Stay safe, everyone!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Good morning Dailyites. Thanks to all our faithful contributors. 

Nice cool morning to take our guest dog for a walk. Alot of fire ant mounds to watch out for. Seems like they pop up on a moments notice.

When I was small I could speak Bohemian fluently. I still remember words and phrases but couldn't converse now. I learned Spanish in school but I didn't get far. I love this:

image.png.f7b973c2f4a0eb0025da20640461ac04.png

Prayers out to those on Roy's list and mine as well as Frank who fell and broke his hip. Sandi hoping your grand daughter is safe.

Tonight is game night. Not sure what we will be playing but it's fun just getting together for food and drink.

Have a great day. 

• Like 24
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 4

We are back in Canada to enjoy a few weeks of Fall in the Kawarthas and close things up. We took some extra time (3 days instead of 2) on the drive over. We stayed overnight in Sault Ste Marie as usual but finally had time to wander around by the Soo locks before dinner. While it is not quite as impressive as the Panama Canal, it is still fun to watch the ships lock through -

20220924_184014.thumb.jpg.c364581a8f0119c3d40434ee599a354c.jpg20220924_184150.thumb.jpg.2565819a851add878316b24d75870b10.jpg

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, puppycanducruise said:

I wish I could speak more than 1 language, I love apples and families are important.

I’m glad the one you know is English!

Good morning, everyone.  I have a busy day of appointments and packing to do today.  I alot myself 5 minutes for this post.  😂

I will be in Iraklion on Saturday, October 15th, courtesy of the Oosterdam Greek Odyssey.  (Oct 10-22).  I spent a week on Crete, just down from Iraklion in Malia, with my daughter, parents, and aunt & uncle following my sister’s wedding in Galway, Ireland.  We had so much fun.

Like most Canadians (looking at you @puppycanducruise😂) we learned French in school and my son is fully bilingual as is his wife, who is French.  My daughter’s forte is math so they balance each other out.  Also, like most Canadians, we speak Frenglish, which is a mixture of French and English in one sentence.  My husband has learned Frenglish, too, and has declared himself an honorary Canadian.  😂

Forgiveness is very important.  And that’s my time.  Have a great day everyone!

Edited by *Miss G*
So many mistakes!
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ottahand7 said:

Good Monday morning!   It is 50 degrees here and will be jacket weather when we head to Grand Rapids Costco for DF's eye appointment.   Too cool and possibly wet this AM to work outside.   

Thank you for all the work to pull the Daily Reports together.  I love Gandhi's quote.    Pass on the drink, waiting on the cocktail.  The Grand Courtege Brut is often featured on BHB's wine list if I recall.  I have not been to today's port but look forward to beautiful photos of Grecian seas.   

Asking for a quick single time prayer for my dear friend from the lake.  This is the first year he didn't come up and since has moved to TN.  He called yesterday to tell me he broke his hip.  Please say a single prayer for my friend Frank age 97 for healing No need for him to be on our list. .  I texted with him last night after the Packers game and he sounded in good spirits.   Photo from 2020 our last dinner together for the season at our local tavern.   

Frank Elaine Nancy 2020.jpg

Sending a  prayer  he  has  a quick healing.

Jim.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  We went for a walk in the dark this morning around the neighborhood.  Just over 2.6 miles.  Looks like my part of Georgia is expecting rain Friday and Saturday from Ian.  I'm not that worried about it here, but am concerned about Tampa.  Hoping DGD is prepared and safe in her apartment there.  🙏 

Thank you Rich @richwmnfor the Fleet Report and Daily.  Watching Volendam on its journey and sorry to hear Zaandam will be hopscotching around this cruise.  As long as they stay out of the storm!  I'm happy to celebrate Family Day and apples as well as Johnny Appleseed.  European day of languages is interesting.  Agua de Jamaica is another food item I have never heard of before.  Thanks for the explanation Tina @0106.  A good quote for the day.  Iraklion which is also commonly known as Heraklion was our port of the day on Sept. 2, 2021.  Here is the link to that day's post in order to retrieve photos.

Here is what I posted about Heraklion back then.

I had to check our 2014 Prinsendam Holy Land cruise itinerary to see if I had actually been to Iraklion (Heraklion), Greece.  Yes, we had on Oct. 30, 2014.  So I looked at the photo book I made to see what the story was for that port.  Apparently it rained very hard, but we and our two friends walked off the ship anyway.  I don't remember much except I believe we stood under an overhang for a while to escape the downpour.  Luckily it didn't rain hard all day so we were able to walk around the town some.  This would be a great port for a re-visit so I can learn more about it and see things through fresh eyes.

Iraklion, or Heraklion Greece.  This is the Koules fortress on the western pier of the harbor.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKLin-wG9icW5ITIryMqpOr?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416774644

It appears that you should build with what you have, so they did.  Must be a lot of rock/stone here!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKyWdgKNk-zdikqMOQxIciq?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416774569

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKUtTtoX6AgErF-uAj9YCiN?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416774575

The Town Hall also called the Venetian Loggia00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL2BB3G-OP2JdJZAho8G3IL?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416774578

A marketplace00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKrJLKw_Y_5eUELZmgS2_Eg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416774587

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKc87xM6eOr2UjHNGL_lO9k?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416774594

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJNDkh3jjU5YNu3NvKKBbfg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416774597

STAY!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKNTwGuP8DskJF3OEweJsMV?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416774606

A good place for people watching00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI_Wi0dJNR44NnjulPFBFCI?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416774599

The Cathedral of Saint Minas is a magnificent Greek Orthodox cathedral which took 33 years to build due to major political interruptions.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK-rFQ2Eb1sKmigAP_5z4na?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416774609

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIqFdc_vKitAW_Ca05iRbTm?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416774611

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJNFvq-ydeO88SaquPn9VpK?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416774612

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJsKC6KY9qs73j4Wc0OYj_B?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416774630

Can you believe the woodwork?00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJd09qO0umlCPtD-gaYLIr3?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416774631

It's beautiful inside.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIGziIBJcGOAPXjpKWVqZes?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416774616

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKjqwb0emk3bh_2xYawaF8q?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416774619

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIncfSrCxQCpkGO8yf1QFKm?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416774622

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJmAFcC6rPe92viCX6XqINV?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416774624

As we left you see the front elevation.  The rain had stopped!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJIveGL6jwwYlm7zWxwDsBW?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416774640

This is the older, smaller Saint Minas.  It was too small to meet the needs of the community  so they built the larger cathedral next to it.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK6Y3GQLZvkhRJ6n_llR4tj?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416774641

Yes, I'd like to go back.  I'm sure there's plenty of things we missed that day.  Watch for Iraklion or Heraklion on your Greek itineraries.

Thanks to Roy @rafinmdfor the Care and Celebration lists.  Prayers for all on the Care list as well as those affected by Fiona and Ian, flooding and wildfires, my neighbor Linda, and the people of Ukraine.  Cheers for those on the Celebration list.  Hooray for you all!  Can't wait to hear more from Debbie @dfishon her home offer.  Good luck to Terri @Cruzin Terriand DH this week.  Hope it all works out for your anniversary vacation.  Have a wonderful Monday!

Awsome  photos thanks  for  posting  them.

Jim

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Sorry I'm late.  We are putting pots in the garage and clearing the furniture off the lainai. 

Fancy Bourbon Punch:

Ingredients
4 parts Maker's Mark® Bourbon
1 part Sugar, Granulated
3 Lemon
3 Orange
4 parts Tea
1 part Champagne
Fresh Nutmeg

Instructions
Peel the oranges and lemons, keeping the peels. Juice the oranges and lemons. Combine sugar and citrus peels in the bottom of a punch bowl. Muddle together until sugar starts to clump together. Let sit for about 2 hours (while not necessary, this does add a little complexity).
Brew the tea for about 30 minutes, remove loose tea or tea bags and allow to cool. Add the juice of the peeled fruit, tea and bourbon. Stir. Top with champagne just before serving and stir gently.
Top with freshly grated nutmeg and serve.
*If you cant grate fresh nutmeg, dont use the prepackaged powdered stuff. It will turn your punch into a paste. If fresh isn't possible, garnish with citrus wheels or fresh fruit.

Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 10.46.24 AM.png

• Like 15
  • Thanks 8

Good morning, Dailyites.  I'm back, and I missed you all terribly, now I know I must have internet on a cruise so I can keep up with the Daily News and Fleet Report!  Now I have to go back and read two weeks' worth of Dailys.

We both have Covid, but got home safe and sound and are isolating in the comfort of our own home.  It has been something between a cold and the 'flu for me, so not too bad, Pat is suffering, so I'll try to get him to stay in bed today.  I did post a little description of our experience on the NA on the "current" Covid thread.  We were treated very, very well on the NA, and I have no complaints about anything.  We will see how the rest goes, reimbursement, etc.  This morning the news is that Canada is dropping all restrictions, masks, etc., even ArriveCan - as of October 1, so we'll see how that goes!

• Like 17
  • Thanks 12

11 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Good morning, Dailyites.  I'm back, and I missed you all terribly, now I know I must have internet on a cruise so I can keep up with the Daily News and Fleet Report!  Now I have to go back and read two weeks' worth of Dailys.

We both have Covid, but got home safe and sound and are isolating in the comfort of our own home.  It has been something between a cold and the 'flu for me, so not too bad, Pat is suffering, so I'll try to get him to stay in bed today.  I did post a little description of our experience on the NA on the "current" Covid thread.  We were treated very, very well on the NA, and I have no complaints about anything.  We will see how the rest goes, reimbursement, etc.  This morning the news is that Canada is dropping all restrictions, masks, etc., even ArriveCan - as of October 1, so we'll see how that goes!

Welcome home!  I'm so sorry you too have gotten Covid on a cruise (or right after).  My SIL and BIL were on the same cruise and I haven't heard anything from them in 2 1/2 weeks.  They got off the ship in Vancouver and got on Discovery Princess for a coastal cruise down to L.A.  Was there a lot of Covid onboard Nieuw Amsterdam?  Good luck trying to catch up on Daily reading!

Edited to say:  I just read your account on the Covid thread and it sounds like they did treat you very well onboard.  I wonder if SIL and BIL caught Covid and just haven't let us know about it?  I doubt Discovery Princess would want them onboard now if they did.  You may have seen her onboard.  She wears her hair very long as she has her entire life.  It's dark brown shot through with grey strands.  She never goes to a salon for a haircut so I guess her DH whacks it off as even as he can.  So a woman our age with that hairstyle may have been noticed by you.  Just curious if you remember seeing her.

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 19

Good morning from a cool and breezy central Texas.  It was 71F when I left to run errands early to beat the crowds.  Then a few chores around the house. 

We'll be heading to Dallas later this morning for DH's appointment with the neurosurgeon.  We're not sure what to expect, but we think he will want a more detailed MRI before any decisions on treatment or surgery can be made.  We wish the nurse practioner had ordered one after the last visit, but since the doctor we're seeing is not the one who supervises her, I can understand why it wasn't ordered.  We just wish the process from finding a diagnosis to treatment didn't take so long.

I admire those who speak more than one language.  I took two years of Spanish in high school, but I am very far from fluent.  Johnny Appleseed and family day are great days to celebrate.

The quote from Mahatma Gandhi is a good one.

We'll pass on the meal, drink and wine.

We have been ti Iraklion once, and I will repost my pictures.

@dfish  Debbie, safe travels home today, and positive thoughts that your offer is accepted quickly.

@cat shepard  Ann, stay safe with Ian lurking about.  I have enjoyed your travelogue.

@Cruzin Terri  Terri, I hope your can make your flights next week.  With hurricanes, you can never predict what will happen.  If you can't fly out Monday, maybe you could go a day or so later and still salvage some of your trip.  What ever happens, stay safe.

@marshhawk  Annie, I hope the dog walking works our better this time.

@ottahand7  Sending positive thoughts for your friend, Frank, to have a full recovery.

@*Miss G*  Hope you get everything done today.  Safe travels tomorrow.

@Vict0riann  Ann, I'm sorry you and Pat got covid on your cruise.  Take it easy until you are negative and feel better.

@aliaschief Bruce, @summer slope Dixie, @StLouisCruisers,  Sandi's DGD and all the others in the path of Ian, stay safe.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 3

On July 7, 2019, near the beginning of 67 days on Veendam, we were docked in Iraklion.  After seeing the Minoan ruins on Santorini, we wanted to see the Palace of Knossos.  We took the shuttle to the drop off point, then the city bus out to the Palace.  I hope none of these pictures are an actual repeat, just a different view.  The more I think about it, we took the city bus not the shuttle.

Palace of Knossos

DSC06283.thumb.JPG.a5b58851a716c61cba223330dd71e738.JPG

DSC06285.thumb.JPG.e1dd5a8836d707e45884dee29664c00d.JPG

Sorry about the extra people in this picture.  I got tired of waiting for people to let me get a clear shot.
DSC06286.thumb.JPG.ef950fb243f29411e2141672ed9d09c4.JPG

DSC06288.thumb.JPG.672f2c97edf980977d457b3ad1688895.JPG

DSC06293.thumb.JPG.589722695c46c0d8f8aa25fd9405270f.JPG

DSC06294.thumb.JPG.c16399706d2099542cf3c487f129df38.JPG

DSC06296.thumb.JPG.3314651ba8fa147fe544010bd568a88f.JPG

DSC06298.thumb.JPG.c31ff2e1efb4b273e3c9a17c9c20590a.JPG

The street outside the ruins

DSC06302.thumb.JPG.52674cca7186f50ad5f32fb3f8487d8b.JPG

DSC06303.thumb.JPG.745ecd822dc35040c9d99c565cdee4aa.JPG

We took the city bus back to the shuttle pick up point and visited the museum with all the items taken from the Palace.  It was very hot that day, and the bus was packed like a sardine can, so the air conditioned museum felt good.

A model of the Palace of Knossos

DSC06309.thumb.JPG.330fcd6aaf9fabce7bdee3936001464a.JPG

The museum contains most of the artifacts from the ruins, but I decided to pick two of the mosaics to show you.

DSC06325.thumb.JPG.317de88bdd934b9d726ed610a646ed7f.JPG

DSC06327.thumb.JPG.3f23c2d50094aac70df601881d5cf03d.JPG

The gardens at the museum

DSC06329.thumb.JPG.31e33f1d09de091060edaeb056acb00a.JPG

Some views of the area as we were waiting for the shuttle back to the BHB.  The building on the right is the museum.

DSC06334.thumb.JPG.752fca63924c0ab86cccfd05233ae4ee.JPG

DSC06333.thumb.JPG.fd2b2a1872e08bee32e13204bce4245d.JPG

DSC06330.thumb.JPG.10a39a095a43adedbe1f2640c0154896.JPG

In spite of the heat, we enjoyed our day in Iraklion and would like to go back and see the main town.

Lenda

• Like 19
  • Thanks 9

4 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Welcome home!  I'm so sorry you too have gotten Covid on a cruise (or right after).  My SIL and BIL were on the same cruise and I haven't heard anything from them in 2 1/2 weeks.  They got off the ship in Vancouver and got on Discovery Princess for a coastal cruise down to L.A.  Was there a lot of Covid onboard Nieuw Amsterdam?  Good luck trying to catch up on Daily reading!

Yes, I think it was a mini-pandemic!  As I mentioned in my post on that other thread there were about 60 on our bus to just one hotel for isolation, and I think there were 2 other hotels being used.  Plus I imagine there were many, many, people who did not report themselves to the Medical Centre.  I was in  my isolation cabin for 5 days of the 14, Pat just joined me for 2, but we were allowed to rent a car and drive home (on the ferry, too), everything was organized through the Front Office, and we notified "Canada" that we are home and isolating. They may call to check on us here.  

My room, on deck 4 was one of 14 with tables outside the door, I think most, if not all, of them were occupied.  There were other halls/decks being used for isolation, too.  I'm not sure how many.  But someone told Pat that the ship was pretty fully booked for the last cruise of the season to Alaska and then for the PC, so I think maybe special isolations cabins are not going to be around for much longer, now that most rules are being relaxed.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 5

2 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Yes, I think it was a mini-pandemic!  As I mentioned in my post on that other thread there were about 60 on our bus to just one hotel for isolation, and I think there were 2 other hotels being used.  Plus I imagine there were many, many, people who did not report themselves to the Medical Centre.  I was in  my isolation cabin for 5 days of the 14, Pat just joined me for 2, but we were allowed to rent a car and drive home (on the ferry, too), everything was organized through the Front Office, and we notified "Canada" that we are home and isolating. They may call to check on us here.  

My room, on deck 4 was one of 14 with tables outside the door, I think most, if not all, of them were occupied.  There were other halls/decks being used for isolation, too.  I'm not sure how many.  But someone told Pat that the ship was pretty fully booked for the last cruise of the season to Alaska and then for the PC, so I think maybe special isolations cabins are not going to be around for much longer, now that most rules are being relaxed.

Ann, after you read my post above I added this:

Edited to say:  I just read your account on the Covid thread and it sounds like they did treat you very well onboard.  I wonder if SIL and BIL caught Covid and just haven't let us know about it?  I doubt Discovery Princess would want them onboard now if they did.  You may have seen her onboard.  She wears her hair very long as she has her entire life.  It's dark brown shot through with grey strands.  She never goes to a salon for a haircut so I guess her DH whacks it off as even as he can.  So a woman our age with that hairstyle may have been noticed by you.  Just curious if you remember seeing her.

• Like 7