The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday October 17th, 2022

richwmn

Today is Bosses Day, National Pasta Day, and Wear Something Gaudy Day

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.--Aldous Huxley, Complete Essays, Vol. II; 1926-1929

Meal Suggestion for today - Bal kaymak
Drink of the Day - Berry White
Wine of the Day - Collosorbo 2016 Brunello di Montalcino
Destination of the Day - Timaru, New Zealand

Eurodam

Manzanillo, Mexico

Koningsdam

Honolulu, Oahu Island, Hawaii - 23:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

Puntarenas, Puerto Caldera, Costa Rica 08:00 - 18:00

Nieuw Statendam

Portland ME, Maine 11:00 - 23:00

Noordam

Hilo, Hawaii Island 08:00 - 18:00

Oosterdam

Nafplio, Mycenae, Greece 08:00 - 16:00

Rotterdam

Le Havre-Paris, France 07:00 - 20:00

Volendam

Valletta, Malta 07:00 - 18:00

Zaandam

At Sea Destination Funchal, Madeira Island, Portugal eta 10/18

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Fanning Island, Line Islands, Kiribati eta 10/18

Westerdam

Apia, Upolu Island, Samoa 08:00 - 17:00

1017World.thumb.png.6f922a5c6d086bfbc3514f3eb37e0e45.png

• Like 25
  • Thanks 13

Good morning and thank you for the Fleet and Daily Report.

It's dark, the sunrise is not until 7:43.   Another cool, rainy day.  

Interesting days.  I guess it's Bertie's day, I think he's the boss in this house.  Pasta is always a popular dinner choice.  I'll wear something gaudy.

I love the quote.

Not sure what the meal suggestion is, but I'm sure I'll like the wine.

Prayers for everyone.

Have a wonderful Monday.

Stay safe.

• Like 22

Thank you for the Monday report, Rich.  I'm not into fashion but I don't think I have anything that would be considered gaudy.  I've had some great bosses and at least one real stinker.  I celebrated pasta day a day earlier (or on New Zealand time)  but will not repeat it tonight.  The Huxley quote is so true.  I have not been to Timaru.  No idea what the meal is.  My alternative is Coconut Nutmeg Soup, Grilled Turkey Breast, and Mixed Berry Tart,

dishes17a.JPG.0a7c9f5ed8c5aa0af63dd871ec

Today’s care list:

RIP kochleffel’s friend Fran 10/16/22
Cruisin single’s step son with double cancer
Safe travels for Cruisin Terri
Final days for kochkeffek’s friend Fran
Vict0rian’s cousin in final stages of ALS
Marshhawk’s friend Sheri
Quartzite Cruiser DH numbness in legs
Damage from Ian and Fiona
Long term power outage for jimgev
From the rotation:
Quartzite Cruiser followup surgery 10/24
Cruisin Terri leak damage
Sandi’s neighbor Linda
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Welcome aboard ciabelle
Serial killer captured in California
Yellowstone nearly fully open
Birthday week with sister for Seasick Sailor
Birthday week for SusieKIslandGirl
Rich’s support for kazu laptop issue
6 Days for Cruisin Single (American Star 10/23 to 10/30)
 Cruising-Along(11/5), dfish, NextOne, Richwmn, Live4cruises,  SharoninAz (Nieuw Statendam  to 10/22),  MissG (Oosterdam  to 10/22),  HAL4NOW (Koningsdam  to 10/24), and AncientWanderer (Nieuw Amsterdam to 10/25), Dismomx5 (Rotterdam to 10/27) ,  and Av8rix (Rotterdam  to 10/30)
Cunnorl (Noordam to 1/2/23),  and  Horizon Chaser1957 (Zaandam 10/1 to 12/20; Zuiderdam 12/22 to 5/12) at sea

Roy

• Like 25
  • Thanks 9

Thank you for the lists - always interesting to see what the 'days' are and hearing new meal and beverage selections.

Not sure if I'll see my boss today but I'll certainly offer up thanks for his generosity over the years.  Especially now that my plate is full of extra tasks - he always reminds me that home life has to come before work life, and especially this year with my daughter has been very understanding with the time away that I've needed.

I thin we celebrate national pasta day weekly in my house - it's a staple meal in our menu rotation.  Curious what is in today's drink, and interested in the wine.  New Zealand is on my bucket list to visit someday.

The baby shower for my niece went off wonderfully.  It was a 'display' shower - we were asked to bring gifts unwrapped and they were all arranged on two large tables for all to see.  This meant that we all spent time socializing together, and my niece avoided what she hates most...people watching her open gifts.  It made for a wonderful, casual afternoon.  I'm not sure where the cake came from, but it was spectacular, and a good friend baked custom cookies for favors.

While my daughter, Lana and I waited for her husband to come pick them up we wandered through the mall a bit and decided to check out the baby section in Neiman Marcus.  I suppose there's a market for the baby wear they sell, but in my world I simply can't imagine spending $650 for a Burberry infant coat.  

Spent the night down there in VA and drove home yesterday...was nice to have a three day weekend and now I'm sitting at the kitchen table sipping down my first cup of coffee and preparing for the day ahead.  A short week - only three work days.  My daughter and her family ( plus the dog!) are coming up on Thursday for a friend's wedding on Friday.  Grammy and Grampy are thrilled to have more Lana time together.  They'll be here through Sunday.

Hope everyone has a good start to the week...cheers to those celebrating and healing thoughts to those who are struggling.

• Like 27

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report.  I’m not sure about today’s meal suggestion so will wait for pictures and recipes.  I do like today’s quote.  We both did some clearance rack shopping yesterday and found a few things for the NA cruise next month.  
I’ll celebrate my seven home supervisors.

image.thumb.png.134c5c5640d60efbdb4fbc7b452c31bf.png

• Like 21
  • Haha 8

Thank you for today’s Report & Daily, Rich! Roy, thank you for keeping our lists. 
Lovely morning here, though we may get some rain later.

Early gym class for me. And it is bike week, so it takes a bit longer to get everywhere. Then chores, Bindi walks etc…

A2BC65C0-0959-468B-95F6-838ED027E948.jpeg.29d634e7ef615d3b5dc62088872dd2e6.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Collosorbo 2016 Brunello di Montalcino

This Brunello has rave reviews from both consumers and critics. Superb - excellent ratings. And the price doesn’t break the bank. Not cheap, but for the ratings - fairly reasonable. Numerous online distributors with prices starting at $44.94.

Winemaker Notes

Obtained from a meticulous selection of Sangiovese grapes from the best company vineyards, Brunello di Montalcino is the result of painstaking campaign work and targeted interventions in the cellar which, in respect and in the worship of an ancient tradition, preserve the integrity of the fruit and enhance the quality of a wine that in history and time of renewal in each bottle.

D96  Decanter
Intense and complex nose with black cherries, cinnamon and dried red roses over hay and spicy undertones. Exuberant palate, full-bodied with freshness and firm structure.
WE96 Wine Enthusiast

Balsamic aromas of camphor and cedar align with ripe plum, underbrush and new leather in this full-bodied red. On the concentrated, enveloping palate, tightly knit, fine-grained tannins accompany ripe Marasca cherry, blood orange, vanilla and licorice before a tobacco close. Fresh acidity lifts the dense richness. Best After 2024

JS94 James Suckling
Plum, cedar and walnut aromas and flavors with some milk-chocolate and cappuccino undertones. It’s medium-to full-bodied with a tight, focused palate and a flavorful finish. Drink after 2023.
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Monday report, Rich.  I'm not into fashion but I don't think I have anything that would be considered gaudy.  I've had some great bosses and at least one real stinker.  I celebrated pasta day a day earlier (or on New Zealand time)  but will not repeat it tonight.  The Huxley quote is so true.  I have not been to Timaru.  No idea what the meal is.  My alternative is Coconut Nutmeg Soup, Grilled Turkey Breast, and Mixed Berry Tart,

dishes17a.JPG.0a7c9f5ed8c5aa0af63dd871ec

Today’s care list:

RIP kochleffel’s friend Fran 10/16/22
Cruisin single’s step son with double cancer
Safe travels for Cruisin Terri
Final days for kochkeffek’s friend Fran
Vict0rian’s cousin in final stages of ALS
Marshhawk’s friend Sheri
Quartzite Cruiser DH numbness in legs
Damage from Ian and Fiona
Long term power outage for jimgev
From the rotation:
Quartzite Cruiser followup surgery 10/24
Cruisin Terri leak damage
Sandi’s neighbor Linda
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Welcome aboard ciabelle
Serial killer captured in California
Yellowstone nearly fully open
Birthday week with sister for Seasick Sailor
Birthday week for SusieKIslandGirl
Rich’s support for kazu laptop issue
6 Days for Cruisin Single (American Star 10/23 to 10/30)
 Cruising-Along(11/5), dfish, NextOne, Richwmn, Live4cruises,  SharoninAz (Nieuw Statendam  to 10/22),  MissG (Oosterdam  to 10/22),  HAL4NOW (Koningsdam  to 10/24), and AncientWanderer (Nieuw Amsterdam to 10/25), Dismomx5 (Rotterdam to 10/27) ,  and Av8rix (Rotterdam  to 10/30)
Cunnorl (Noordam to 1/2/23),  and  Horizon Chaser1957 (Zaandam 10/1 to 12/20; Zuiderdam 12/22 to 5/12) at sea

Roy

Thank you for today's lists Roy.

Tomorrow will be Pauline's mam Ruth's 4th memory.

Every day is hard for Pauline without her lovely mam but we will celebrate her life this week how Ruth would like.

Graham 

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Good morning  on a rainy day . Cold weather is expected Tuesday night.I find the quote both accurate  and sadly quite timely.  I was a boss  and I had many really good bosses.Now we have a household Boss named Fred.He makes sure things are going smoothly.

Pasta is always popular here. I will look for something gaudy to wear.

I saw @superoma's post yesterday  and had to accept that we will probably not be cruising  either.DH has a fair amount of mobility issues now and I don't  know if I can manage the luggage and such alone.I am so glad that we went when we did and enjoyed many cruises. I am not willing to give up the Daily.I enjoy the news and pictures as well as the food and beverage  department.And the kindness.

@SusieKIslandGirl, a very Happy Birthday week to you!

@crusin single,(oh no blue bubble gone) Please let me know  when you will be near either Yonkers or Tarrytown  on your Hudson cruise.I will come to either pier to wave! 

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

Good morning from the Nieuw Statendam on a foggy morning sailing to Portland, ME. I think it might be the heaviest fog we’ve so far on the cruise.  Yesterday was a lovely day in Saint John.  

Our TV hasn’t worked properly since day two and I’ve reported it almost every day. So last night I was hopeful when we received a voicemail that “all” TV’s have been restored but, no, ours is still not working. Frustrating, I enjoy watching TV and with two sea days coming up I’ll be really upset without a TV. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 26

A staple breakfast dish in Turkey, bal kaymak is a combination of kaymak - a traditional dairy product produced from water buffalo milk- very similar to clotted cream - that is generously doused with bal (honey). The dish is served as a spread or a sweet dip alongside tea or a variety of other traditional breakfast dishes and is typically paired with bread. It may be served as a dessert and it sometimes comes garnished with ground, chopped, or whole walnuts.

While English clotted cream and Turkish kaymak may be culturally distinct, they're actually very similar. Both are made from whole milk cooked until the curds rise to the top. Kaymak curds are denser and are sold rolled up like a jelly roll; to eat just break them apart and drizzle with honey and serve.

Here is a basic recipe for kaymak.  In many countries in the Western hemisphere, you probably won’t be able to find fresh buffalo milk but don’t worry; this recipe provides an alternative. Just try mixing one liter of milk with a 30-35% whipping cream (also known as heavy cream). The ratio should be roughly 1-1.

https://www.hungrypaprikas.com/kaymak-geymar-with-kahi/

Geymar / Kaymak drizzled with honey served with puff pastry Kahi and date molasses

Here is a recipe using only heavy cream.

https://turkishstylecooking.com/kaymak-recipe.html

Kaymak Recipe

This link talks about "old"   kaymak and more savory uses.

https://thefoodhog.com/kaymak-recipe/

homemade kaymak

kaymak recipe

Because the curds of kaymak are dense and rolled, I think of it as a cheese. 

I would like to try kaymak but I have never made cheese and don’t plan on making cheese in the future.  I am lucky to live close to dairy farms that produce wonderful local cheese. If I want a more exotic cheese, I visit the international section of grocery stores or a smaller ethnic market.  I'll look for kaymak the next time I'm there.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 11

47 minutes ago, msmayor said:

The baby shower for my niece went off wonderfully.  It was a 'display' shower - we were asked to bring gifts unwrapped and they were all arranged on two large tables for all to see.  This meant that we all spent time socializing together, and my niece avoided what she hates most...people watching her open gifts.  It made for a wonderful, casual afternoon.  I'm not sure where the cake came from, but it was spectacular, and a good friend baked custom cookies for favors.

Oh, I love the concept of a "display shower".  More time for socializing, less time at the awkward unwrapping gifts and less waste of paper and ribbons.  Great idea.

• Like 24

Good morning friends!  We went outside to walk this morning (in the dark) since our temp was about 60F and no rain.  The temps are going to plummet tonight to the 30's and will do so all week long.  After the walk and breakfast it was shower, hair wash and dry time so I'm sooo behind already.  Graham @grapau27your breakfast looks delicious and I'm sure you two are enjoying your time spent together sharing a meal.   I send my best wishes to Pauline as she prepares for tomorrow's memory of her Mam.  Thanks to Rich @richwmnfor posting the Daily and Fleet Report for us.  Happy bosses day to all in charge.  We love pasta and have it regularly.  I don't know what to wear today that's gaudy.  My plain clothes will have to do!  I don't think I would enjoy the Bal Kaymak.  As for the quote, boy that's the truth (Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored)  Similarly, saying an untruth over and over does not make it true.  Some of the things I hear coming out of politician's mouths are astounding!😂

Timaru, New Zealand was our port of the day on April 1, 2021 and is again today.  I haven't been there before but have enjoyed many New Zealand ports I'm blessed to say.  Second New Zealand port of the day in a row!  If anyone has any photos they'd like to add, or go back and retrieve photos they posted last time, here is the original post.

Thanks to Roy @rafinmdfor our Care and Celebration lists.  The Cares are creeping up again, so I hope we can reverse that trend.  Prayers for everyone in their time of need.  I also pray for Ukrainians, and everyone trying to get back to normal after Ian and Fiona.  Sorry to say it will take quite a long time.  Cheers for the celebrants as they enjoy their cruises, visits with family, new babies, and birthday weeks.

Have a very nice day all!

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  We went outside to walk this morning (in the dark) since our temp was about 60F and no rain.  The temps are going to plummet tonight to the 30's and will do so all week long.  After the walk and breakfast it was shower, hair wash and dry time so I'm sooo behind already.  Graham @grapau27your breakfast looks delicious and I'm sure you two are enjoying your time spent together sharing a meal.   I send my best wishes to Pauline as she prepares for tomorrow's memory of her Mam.  Thanks to Rich @richwmnfor posting the Daily and Fleet Report for us.  Happy bosses day to all in charge.  We love pasta and have it regularly.  I don't know what to wear today that's gaudy.  My plain clothes will have to do!  I don't think I would enjoy the Bal Kaymak.  As for the quote, boy that's the truth (Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored)  Similarly, saying an untruth over and over does not make it true.  Some of the things I hear coming out of politician's mouths are astounding!😂

Timaru, New Zealand was our port of the day on April 1, 2021 and is again today.  I haven't been there before but have enjoyed many New Zealand ports I'm blessed to say.  Second New Zealand port of the day in a row!  If anyone has any photos they'd like to add, or go back and retrieve photos they posted last time, here is the original post.

Thanks to Roy @rafinmdfor our Care and Celebration lists.  The Cares are creeping up again, so I hope we can reverse that trend.  Prayers for everyone in their time of need.  I also pray for Ukrainians, and everyone trying to get back to normal after Ian and Fiona.  Sorry to say it will take quite a long time.  Cheers for the celebrants as they enjoy their cruises, visits with family, new babies, and birthday weeks.

Have a very nice day all!

Thank you for your kind words Sandi.

Graham.

• Like 10

Good morning Dailyites. Sending up prayers and blessings to all our friends here and for the losses of loved ones.

Graham, my Birthday is tomorrow. On Pauline's mams 4th memory day. I will

say a prayer for both.

Yesterday was a wonderful day! We met 22 people for my birthday brunch. We were given a great area where we were semi private. A LOT of funny stuff going on..

Today my sis and I (pending weather) are going on a hike on one of our trails here in Sun City. Looks kinda rainy and cool now but it's suppose to brighten up later. 

Like Roy, I had a stinker boss for a few years. Could not wait to move on. A good boss makes all the difference in being happy in your career. I was a boss my last 4 years and always remembered my team told me I was a good team mate.

image.png.3d49d28f5a97202f874ad1f92dee10a5.png

Pasta day!! I love pasta and have had it 2 days in a row. Better have a big salad today.

image.png.840c002be8c392abb6bd13ef91846da7.png

Ann, the wine sounds.... interesting. Camphor? Tobacco?

The sun is about to rise, so going to fill my bird feeders and bird bath. 

Have a wonderful, awesome, happy week. Cheers, prayers and blessings. 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

Berry White cocktail:

Berry White Recipe
The Berry White cocktail recipe is a sexy blue colored drink made from UV Blue raspberry vodka, white crème de cacao, triple sec and lime juice, and served in a chilled cocktail glass.
Ingredients
3/4 oz Raspberry Vodka (UV Blue)
3/4 oz White Creme de Cacao
3/4 oz Triple Sec
3/4 oz Lime Juice
Lime - for garnish
Garnish: Lime
Glass: Cocktail Glass
Directions
Shake all ingredients with ice in a cocktail shaker.
Strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
Garnish with a lime twist and a slice of lime.

Screen Shot 2022-10-17 at 8.51.58 AM.png

• Like 21
  • Thanks 9

44 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Our TV hasn’t worked properly since day two and I’ve reported it almost every day. So last night I was hopeful when we received a voicemail that “all” TV’s have been restored but, no, ours is still not working. Frustrating, I enjoy watching TV and with two sea days coming up I’ll be really upset without a TV. 

We had trouble with our TV on the NS last February.  We reported it and a tech came and pulled it out a bit and rebooted it.  We continued to have trouble with it and John just fixed it.  It was not an easy task involving climbing on the couch in our suite.  Sad it is an ongoing problem.  

12 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

As for the quote, boy that's the truth (Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored)  Similarly, saying an untruth over and over does not make it true.  Some of the things I hear coming out of politician's mouths are astounding

Sandi, I thought the same thing when I read today's quote.

Very chilly, wet and windy here today with snowflakes in the forecast.  Nothing like our cabin where many inches of snow is predicted.   A good day to stay inside.   We have three more days of this weather and then sunny and 60s for the weekend!   We can get more yard work done.  The leaves just came down in bunches yesterday.   

Thanks for the Daily Reports Rich!   I was a boss for years, I lost my cat bosses.  Great day for national pasta day.  I decided we would work on the Costco bag of meatballs taking up space in the freezer and I will have mine in marinara on angel hair and lots of Parm.    DF I don't know how he will want his because he is trying to stick to Atkins to lose some weight prior to our cruise.   I had also planned on having a Brunello with our dinner,  DF bought a case of some good stuff cheap on Wines Till Sold Out.   I'll pass on the meal.   Prayers for all on our care list.  @grapau27 Thinking of you and Pauline with the anniversary of the passing of her dear Mam.   The horror in Ukraine grows so prayers for them and the freedom fighters in Iran.   Prayers for those cleaning up from Ian.   Thanks for sharing and caring, this is a great way to start a day!  Have a wonderful day!   

Delphinium and frit July 24 '14.jpg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

Good morning. Well, it’s pretty foggy here this morning and I hope that is not an issue tomorrow morning when we fly to Atlanta and await our flight to France. We only have two hours at Degaulle before catching a flight to Lyon. Knowing that two hours would be  cutting it close we have hired a service that will meet us and escort us through immigration to our connecting flight.

Everything is pretty much done so not much planned for today other then eating out or delivery.

Thanks for the reports and I wish all of you a wonderful week.

image.jpeg.65276065d82bcb5cff37aa3fbb8378cd.jpeg

• Like 23
  • Haha 5

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  Like some of you, I've had good bosses and then there was that one . . . .   Now that DH and I are retired, we are our own bosses and get time off whenever we want.  We were 1 day ahead on the Pasta Day, and gaudy is my favourite colour!

I guess I was more bummed about our flight being cancelled than I realized, as I woke at 4:30 this morning and the first thing on my mind was Flight Ease and hoping we get a seat on a plane - any plane.  Before we went to bed last night, DH said it's like we're on the Voyage of the Damned; first our hotel cancels, now our flight cancels - this was after HAL changed our ship and itinerary 6 or 7 times.    Argh!    I know, just breathe; I'll be fine.

Today is going to be a busy day - DH has his hair cut at 10, I go for a colour and cut at 11:30, and after that we'll be going over to our friend's house where I will go through my late friend Melodie's closet to see what I would like to bring home.  It'll be a tough time, but a necessary step to help her husband with his grieving process.

I don't think I'm going to try today's menu suggestion any time soon, although if it was served to me, I would definitely taste it.  As I mentioned, we were 1 day ahead with our lemon spaghetti last night, but I made a larger batch than I thought, so we do have leftovers.  It'll be spaghetti & sausage and a side salad for dinner tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is hurting, cheers for the celebrations!  Stay safe, everyone!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry  

• Like 29

@aliaschief  No fog  here, but it will be cold tomorrow morning.  If you wander out of the airport in Atlanta, bring a sweater!  ( I wouldn't advise  wandering in the Atlanta airport)

@grapau27Thank you for this mornings food porn.  I made potatoes O'Brien, and a hard boiled egg.

I'm not sure if potatoes O'Brien actually exist.  They were served to me in an Irish pub in Atlanta.  Potatoes with onion and green peppers, all cooked up together in a pan to brown the taters.  They were pretty good.

I still have one tater left over from last night, and I will make potato salad with it, (one serving each)  and they are big taters.

The quote is so true, loved what @StLouisCruisers said, add me to that response, you say it so much better than I ever could.

Dress Gaudy?  Everyday! no,   I dress actually for comfort.  I'm the one wearing the clothes, so I should be happy.  I dress inappropriately for some circumstances,  because somethings just don't need to be dressed up for.  And for two years, we went no where, and no one cared what I wore...

Every day I tell one of the cats, that they are the boss for that day.  Wondering why when it was Tazi's turn this week, she ended up with a nasty gash on her face.

The meal of the day actually sounds good, but I would like to try it, not make it.

c9e2ca530b2b5c609c0711caeab4b8e8.jpg

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1