APPALLING EXPERIENCE ABOARD CARIBBEAN PRINCESS

--mollyb--

3 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Regardless of whether the OP are Canadian citizens, getting on a foreign flag cruise ship in Quebec and getting off in Halifax is a violation of Canada's Coastal Trading Act (similar to the US PVSA), and therefore there would have been a lot of paperwork involved in clearing the ship to disembark a "domestic" traveler and then clearing the new manifest for departure.  Since it was at the OP's choice to disembark, it is likely that they will get the fine passed to them (and they can be far more severe than the PVSA fine).

Whoa nellie.  I missed that they were trying to leave the ship early at other than the disembarkation port.  That would throw a monkey wrench into things for sure and no wonder the staff might not have the answer readily available.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, srpilo said:

After reading this and many other posts like it, it's amazing that anybody would call the Medical center and report a negative test, and instead just continue on their cruise....

Personally, with what I know now from CC, at this point I doubt I call and report it

Absolutely agree, but if you post this idea on cruise critic, you get called a murderer by some. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Shippy said:

California

hospital emergency room just for the prescription

Florida

hospital emergency room - Paxlovid prescribed for me - 3 weeks later wife tested positive at emergency room - NOT prescribed Paxlovid

My husband and I recently returned from a TA on Enchanted Princes.

Three days before the end of the cruise, we both came down with Covid.

We called the medical office and someone came to check the results of our positive self tests. We were allowed to remain in our aft corner suite, which happened to be on the Covid floor - Dolphin deck

We were given the following information sheets and told that someone would check on us daily. This never happened.

We ordered meals through room service, which was ok. We were brought clean towels every day.

We had planned to stay two days in New York and had a flight scheduled on September 19. Since we are Canadian, we had to quarantine for ten days per Canadian regulations, so Princess changed our flight to September 24.
The issues increased upon disembarkation. None of the information on the sheet happened. There was a group of more than thirty of us and we were gathered in one of the lounges when all passengers had disembarked. New passengers were using the same elevators as the Covid group - a great way to spread Covid at the beginning of the new cruise. We were led off the ship and told where to wait for transportation. It was a hot, sunny day. After two hours, it was more than clear that transportation would not be coming. One woman passed out and an ambulance was called. She didn’t want to go to hospital. The cruise director happened to walk  by. My husband approached him and asked for help. He messaged Customer Relations and someone came out with water and sandwiches. 
Four SUV’s were brought to take us to the hotel and it took quite some time to transport everyone.

When we arrived at the hotel, there was no one waiting to greet us. We were on our own. Our stay was only authorized to the 19, and not the 24th, so we didn’t know if it would be covered. Front desk couldn’t tell us the Princess rate, but the amount that came up on the screen was almost $5,000. We decided to move to a Marriott where we have points, as we didn’t want to risk receiving such a large bill that might not be covered.

Our bill at checkout showed that we were charged for September 16, when we were still on the ship. They couldn’t change it and and we were told to send it to our insurance.

I spent a long time on the phone with Princess trying to get confirmation that we would receive FCC for the three days in isolation on the ship and $100 per person/day for meals as promised. No one at Princess was able to confirm this.

After a few weeks at home and more phone calls and emails, we now have the reimbursement confirmations. After all this, we will continue to sail with Princess as we still enjoy the product.  
I sympathize with the original poster. His situation was handled very poorly. We at least received some information sheets, even though stated supports were not in place. I urge him to continue to fight for everything he is due.

Princess should have a standard policy for these situations.

image.thumb.jpg.95c30b2045d5258da6f5a6332f1b40d0.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.d394e56b1cdacae6a780990cd11dfaf8.jpgM

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, NownZen said:

Those laws are from a bygone era and originally involved ferry traffic on the great lakes but they are still in force.

No, the PVSA originally involved all river, harbor, and lake transport of passengers, and was enacted for safety concerns, many of which exist to this day.

That is why we cannot get LNG shipped from the Gulf Coast to the Northeast.

Why should we ship LNG from the US Gulf, when there is a pipeline bringing in natural gas from Canada, far cheaper.

It is why the power issues in Puerto Rico lasted longer than necessary, etc.

How did the PVSA, or more accurately, the Jones Act, prolong the power issues in Puerto Rico?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, antsp said:

Absolutely agree, but if you post this idea on cruise critic, you get called a murderer by some. 

Maybe not a murderer, but perhaps a person with lack of moral character. We reported it and went through a lot of crap because of it. We would still do it again.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

Why would a cruise ship be considered a temporary prison.  What if one wanted to leave the voyage early because of a major family situation at home?  ending a voyage early should be at a travelers discretion.

No one is saying that the cruise ship is a prison.  However, unlike the US's PVSA, the Canadian CTA specifies fines, for each occurrence, or for each day that the occurrence happens, of "up to $50,000" against the cruise line.  The ticket contract states that the passenger is aware that on some itineraries that leaving the vessel at a port other than the designated disembarkation port can violate local law, and the cruise line would think long and hard about whether they want to subject themselves to this.  The ticket contract is also what gives the cruise line the right to pass the fine on to the passenger/s that caused the violation.  I have seen many instances where a passenger disembarked early at a US port, due to illness, and once due to death of a spouse, and in each case the cruise line was fined for the violation, passed the fine on to the passenger, and then told the passenger that if they wanted to, the passenger could appeal to CBP for a refund.  Many, many people would benefit from a close study, not just a cursory reading, of the cruise line ticket contracts.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

No one is saying that the cruise ship is a prison.  However, unlike the US's PVSA, the Canadian CTA specifies fines, for each occurrence, or for each day that the occurrence happens, of "up to $50,000" against the cruise line.  The ticket contract states that the passenger is aware that on some itineraries that leaving the vessel at a port other than the designated disembarkation port can violate local law, and the cruise line would think long and hard about whether they want to subject themselves to this.  The ticket contract is also what gives the cruise line the right to pass the fine on to the passenger/s that caused the violation.  I have seen many instances where a passenger disembarked early at a US port, due to illness, and once due to death of a spouse, and in each case the cruise line was fined for the violation, passed the fine on to the passenger, and then told the passenger that if they wanted to, the passenger could appeal to CBP for a refund.  Many, many people would benefit from a close study, not just a cursory reading, of the cruise line ticket contracts.

I hope an emergency appeal, like a death in the family, would result in a favorable outcome.  I can't imagine someone being forced to stay on board for several days after learning the death of a loved one.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

How did the PVSA, or more accurately, the Jones Act, prolong the power issues in Puerto Rico?

Generally you are spot on.  I will have to disagree with you on this one.  Puerto Rico, like Hawaii, is "hindered" by the PVSA/Jones Act.  There has been hint/words that they (Congress) will do something similar to what they did for the return of the Alaskan Season:  allow non US flagged ships to go between the mainland and Puerto Rico easing up trade, transportation, and equipment delivery.  

I am not versed in the legalnese of the Jones Act, but did grow up in Hawaii.  When Matson would threaten a strike, everyone rushed out to buy toilet paper and spam.  Hawaii is heavily dependent on most everything being shipped to the islands (like 99% of our goods).  

I "understand" the need for the PVSA and Jones Act to "protect" shipping and air travel.  But it does come with a cost to the locals.

6 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Generally you are spot on.  I will have to disagree with you on this one.  Puerto Rico, like Hawaii, is "hindered" by the PVSA/Jones Act.  There has been hint/words that they (Congress) will do something similar to what they did for the return of the Alaskan Season:  allow non US flagged ships to go between the mainland and Puerto Rico easing up trade, transportation, and equipment delivery.

While some claim that the Jones Act "hinders" Puerto Rico, the GAO has published reports to the contrary.  Even at the height of hurricane Maria relief effort, and everyone was clamoring for exemptions to the Jones Act, the docks in San Juan were stuffed with containers of aid, to the point where they could not offload anymore, due to lack of transportation and blocked roads around the island.  In fact, after Maria, despite President Trump's granting of waivers, no foreign flag ship made deliveries to Puerto Rico from the mainland US.  Puerto Rico's power system woes are directly tied to failures of management of the system, not upgrading or even repairing systems, both when the system was a quasi-government system, and now as a private corporation.  If US flag shipping is too expensive, the power company is free to buy electrical systems (in many cases far better than those made in the US) from Europe, and have them shipped to PR on foreign ships.  I don't see how the Jones Act has caused the power company to not maintain their own systems.

Even after hurricane Harvey hit the refineries in the Gulf Coast, and President Trump, again, granted waivers to the Jones Act, since Florida was hurting for gasoline and jet fuel, guess how many foreign flag ships actually were used?  One, for one voyage.  Why?  Because there was a fleet of US flag tankers waiting, fully loaded, that could not enter Florida ports due to hurricane Irma.  Once the ports reopened, the US flag tankers that were milling about in the Gulf supplied Florida, just like they have been for years, since there is no pipelines in Florida.  The US Gulf to Florida has been a major Jones Act market for decades, and the Jones Act fleet has met the vast majority of Florida's need for refined product all those years.

Sorry, enough of a rant about the Jones Act/PVSA, let the thread get back to its original topic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

Your right. It’s kidney and liver they have to test before giving Paxlovid.

I tested positive and called NYC Department of Health and they sent script over to my pharmacy immediately. No testing required and only informed me not to take my cholesterol meds for 8 days. 

14 minutes ago, lovemycruisetoo said:
5 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

Your right. It’s kidney and liver they have to test before giving Paxlovid.

I tested positive and called NYC Department of Health and they sent script over to my pharmacy immediately. No testing required and only informed me not to take my cholesterol meds for 8 days. 

How did they know you were on cholesterol meds? [Not everyone is] Did you give a short history or did they have access to your medical records and thereby know your medical history??

2 minutes ago, lovemycruisetoo said:

They asked what meds I was taking and I told them. 

Good that they took a history.  Like a dr or np visit. My sister (the np) handles those calls in her county. And yes, np prescribe meds

• Like 1

Why did the original poster call 911 instead of just calling the medical center?  Isn't 911 for emergency calls?  I would hate to think someone was having a heart attack or some other horrible thing, and the people were tied up with someone reporting that they tested positive with Covid.

19 hours ago, Outerdog said:

What information do you think would be helpful? You've got covid. Stay in your cabin.  You said Princess should know what to do after all this time in dealing with covid. So should you. Why do you need documentation as to when you tested positive, boarded, and disembarked? Just report the illness to your healthcare provide if you think it will help.

Seems like a lot of unnecessary hand-wringing if you ask me.

Documentation would be important for a travel insurance claim

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wrongwaywatson said:

Why did the original poster call 911 instead of just calling the medical center?  Isn't 911 for emergency calls?  I would hate to think someone was having a heart attack or some other horrible thing, and the people were tied up with someone reporting that they tested positive with Covid.

911 on a Princess ship is simply the Guest Services Desk.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, wrongwaywatson said:

Princess tells you in their documentation to call “911” in case of Covid symptoms. It just means that someone will answer your call rather than have to leave a message if no one is available.

To the OP:  First, I hope you and your spouse have recovered from your bout with COVID and are doing well at this point and secondly, my husband and I were also on that same voyage only doing it as a b2b that started on 9/20 in NYC and after leaving Quebec on 10/1 he woke up with a dreadful sore throat, cough and fever on the morning of 10/2 at which time I also called 911 as instructed on the paperwork left in the cabin on embarkation. He tested positive and I tested negative (I continued to test negative until 2 days after we returned home) and I can say from that point until we disembarked in NYC on 10/10 our experience with the medical, guest services, room service, and cabin stewards was like night and day from yours.  I say this not to be a smartarse, negate your experience in any way, or rub your nose in things but to point out once again that unfortunately oftentimes the only consistent thing with Princess is their inconsistency.  

Again, I do hope you both have recovered now, and I am sorry your experiences were so different from ours.  Wishing you all the best.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

I don't know if this backs up what you're reporting, but I don't think wanting to leave the ship without the need to go directly to a local medical facility for treatment would constitute a medical evacuation or necessary disembarkation.  It appears to me that the OP's desire to disembark the ship in Halifax was more a matter of convenience rather than a matter of necessity.  Many, many people developed Covid on board cruise ships and got through it without the need for medical intervention and were able to resume their cruise.  I did not see where the OP was experiencing respiratory distress requiring more intense procedures.  Many of the complaints from PAX who got Covid are more related to a diminution of expected levels of personal service rather than a lack of necessary medical attention.  When ashore, having an illness requiring isolation also encompasses many inconveniences as well.

On a pre-Covid cruise, DW developed a severe strep throat and isolated in our cabin.  Nobody (but me 😇) came to pamper her or bring her soups and ice cream.  We didn't get any written instructions, but we did request and get documentation of the diagnosis and treatment for a later insurance claim.  Nobody from Princess came to hold our hand nor did we expect it.

• Like 4