The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday February 16th, 2023

cat shepard

Good morning from central Texas where our few days of warm weather ended about midnight.  It will be in the 40sF today and tomorrow, but 80F by Sunday or Monday.  It's also cloudy and windy, but we missed the big storm that moved through Texas.  I hope those in it's path remain safe.

Before I go any further, Barcelona has been the port of the day at least twice, Saturday, October 23, 2021, and Saturday, March 19, 2022.  Here are the links to Rich's @richwmn posts for those days.  It's amazing how many times Barcelona comes up in the Fleet/Daily.

I try to do favors for grouches, but I don't know too many.  We still use satellite tv but not cable because of the motorhome.  It's difficult to stream when you're parked in the boonies without internet or cell phone service.

The O Henry quote is interesting, but I don't agree with it.

The meal looks good, and the wine sounds nice, but it's too $$$$.  We'll pass on the drink.

We have been to Barcelona many times as a port and as the embarkation port for our first European/TA cruise in 2001.

@ottahand7  Nancy, Santos is a nice small city, and was home to Pele and the Pele Museum.  If you don't have a tour booked, you can get a nice on in the port terminal.

@grapau27  Graham, I'm sorry you and Pauline have raspy coughs, but glad you tested negative again.

@rafinmd  Roy, I'm glad to see your sleep is beginning to get a little better.  I hope the CT scan shows good results.

@kazu  Jacqui, I wouldn't call you a grouch, but maybe "happiness challenged" right now.  😉

@0106  Thanks for the pictures from Barcelona.

@aliaschief  Bruce, welcome home.

Once I post my pictures and Sandi's @StLouisCruisers pictures, I'm off to run errands before it gets too windy.  They are predicting 20-30 mph winds with gusts to 40-52 mph.  In case you're wondering, I did not find any pictures from Sandi except one of her family who joined them in Barcelona on a cruise.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

In September 2001, we took the train from Sitges into Barcelona, and then took the Ho-Ho to see the town.  All these pictures were taken by DH as he had the digital camera, and they show how uncrowded Barcelona was in the two weeks following 9/11.  

A couple of pictures from the Ho-Ho.  The second one is a bocce ball tournament.

IMG_0100.thumb.JPG.e1773bcb42d89130ee44d570f73ffea2.JPG

IMG_0103.thumb.JPG.d47b14965b2624fa5e59c2d04ad4e481.JPG

We had no trouble getting into La Sagrada Familia then, and pretty much had the place to ourselves, except for the workmen.

IMG_0109.thumb.JPG.7d68e38f9d1fd22201147ad35a1e5b77.JPG

IMG_0112.thumb.JPG.d0f44c36a92f9b9ec3eaa6697be2bd04.JPG

IMG_0113.thumb.JPG.8ee6b63a9af15db56bb7ffed31d3ca15.JPG

IMG_0114.thumb.JPG.b6879285330c419f20ce7ee0c2a24c6d.JPG

IMG_0115.thumb.JPG.026e5fe5e6beb15fea6fdad0b3944a2b.JPG

Even walking around the Gothic quarter and the Rambles was not a problem.

IMG_0135.thumb.JPG.ca6560d44f34a54adc005128c8d2b18d.JPG

IMG_0136.thumb.JPG.071b50beb54a27e0968277049f069932.JPG

IMG_0140.thumb.JPG.b6b377944dfbd1898910d26a9c57f2c5.JPG

Our last visits to Barcelona were on the Veendam in 2019, and the same areas were very crowded. 

Lenda

• Like 26
  • Thanks 3

We were back in Bacelona in 2002 on the Noordam III.  These are some pictures of Park Guell designed by Antoni Gaudi.  It is named for Gaudi's patron, Eusebi Guell.  In the name, park is in English as Gaudi admired the English city gardens.

The entrance to the park.  The flat area in one pictture is on top of the area above the columns.  As the park followed nature, there are no straight lines in the park.

IMG_0661.thumb.JPG.ebe24fe08cf607316793f784fe43b392.JPG

Gaudi's famous lizaard guarding the entrance steps.

PICT0010.thumb.JPG.7c834eda4567486bd06207657458e902.JPG

The flat area

PICT0003.thumb.JPG.17386b7c62538305ddd3c1a59a5bc8b8.JPG

Looking down at the city and the buildings flanking the entrance.

PICT0005.thumb.JPG.b6de819b4ea9b311b8809b02c0303220.JPG

PICT0006.thumb.JPG.30066294de7f19d95d8d4d013972ade8.JPG

Noordam III from a long distance.

PICT0021.thumb.JPG.7962064e164933409a787ed958a3689f.JPG

We tried to revisit the park  in 2019 when we were on the Veendam.  At the park, we were told all that day's tickets were sold.  We needed to have purchased tickets online at least the day before.  We just looked around the area near the park then took a city bus back toward town.  

We were glad we had seen Park Guell and La Sagrada Familia on early visits when there were not as many tourists.

Lenda

• Like 25
  • Thanks 3

Good Thursday Morning Dailyites! This morning when I sat down at the computer the weather showed a moon and said the sky was clear.  There was no moon in the sky, and it wasn't clear.  It's cloudy and the weather forecast is for storms to come in tonight, with lots of rain, and strong winds.

DH and I decided that while we like making the extra money, we are not getting enough together time, and down time.  So next week we are going to schedule a day off, and both be on the same page when we choose a day.  A day that doesnt start with doctors appointments, just a real day off.

I know that I am not a medical expert by any means, but I do suffer from common sense,  Covid, as you know has changed multiple times since it raised it's ugly head in 2020.  We came up with home tests.  I have three different packs, but the brand of covid changes faster than our tests strips, so maybe  when people are testing the strips are not catching it because they are not made to test the new strain?  I am sure someone will correct me, but it seems that we need to assume that it's out there, and live our lives accordingly.  My doctors offices are no longer allowing the spouse to come in with you for a visit.  Our heart doc sees us both at the same time, which solves that problem.

@rafinmdIt sounds like you are sleeping better,  the only thing on tv that puts me to sleep is well, nothing,  I will nap through NASCAR, but  only if my favorite driver is out of the race. Try listening to DeBussy or Enya.  

@dfishThank you again for the great recipes and research.  

And to our Beverage team, I dont drink anymore, but I like the pictures.

@JazzyVThank you for your concern over my friend Fern.  She is out of the coma, but still in ICU.  She answered a text that Lisa and I sent her, she said she is in ICU because the doctors dont know why she passed out and fell, so they are watching and waiting and running tests.  She didnt know she had been in a coma for more than a week.  Her sister did figure out her address and is caring for her cat.  Yeah!

e4d45410970b3e58b1a287845a9e0453.png

funny-cat-cartoons-28.jpg

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, RedneckBob said:

Thanks for the Fleet update and general info.

National cut the cord day. What’s this all about. No way am I going to cut any of my electrical cords. This day must be sponsored by Home Depot or Lowe’s!

RedneckBob, I am disappointed in you.  Everyone knows that National Cut the Cord Day is when we all go out and cut a cord of wood for the stove or fireplace.  Sharpen up your ax and get to work.  

• Like 5
  • Haha 19

Good morning from a snowy day in SE Wisconsin.  Not sure how much we'll get, but they cancelled all of the schools already last evening.  Sad to see our cruise end, but our pup was glad to see us.  We had a great time on the Eurodam.  I'm still feeling the "motion of the ocean" today.  We heard lots of coughing the last 2 days on the ship, and on our flights home yesterday.  We had masks on in the crowded areas, so praying we stay healthy!  Prayers for all that need them and "yay" for the others.  

We "cut the cord" with the cable tv service a while back, only issue is DH can't watch Brewers games anymore.  

It's back to cooking, etc. today.  The recipe looks yummy!  Thanks @dfish  Karen

• Like 22

5 minutes ago, travelnap said:

RedneckBob, I am disappointed in you.  Everyone knows that National Cut the Cord Day is when we all go out and cut a cord of wood for the stove or fireplace.  Sharpen up your ax and get to work.  

👍👍. You should know I can’t cut the cord of wood cause I just cut the electrical cord that runs my electric chain saw! Before you say it, there is no redneck that has an electric chain saw. As far as my ax, can’t operate it anymore, a little too heavy for me!

• Like 7
  • Haha 12

27 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

We were back in Bacelona in 2002 on the Noordam III.  These are some pictures of Park Guell designed by Antoni Gaudi.  It is named for Gaudi's patron, Eusebi Guell.  In the name, park is in English as Gaudi admired the English city gardens.

The entrance to the park.  The flat area in one pictture is on top of the area above the columns.  As the park followed nature, there are no straight lines in the park.

IMG_0661.thumb.JPG.ebe24fe08cf607316793f784fe43b392.JPG

Gaudi's famous lizaard guarding the entrance steps.

PICT0010.thumb.JPG.7c834eda4567486bd06207657458e902.JPG

The flat area

PICT0003.thumb.JPG.17386b7c62538305ddd3c1a59a5bc8b8.JPG

Looking down at the city and the buildings flanking the entrance.

PICT0005.thumb.JPG.b6de819b4ea9b311b8809b02c0303220.JPG

PICT0006.thumb.JPG.30066294de7f19d95d8d4d013972ade8.JPG

Noordam III from a long distance.

PICT0021.thumb.JPG.7962064e164933409a787ed958a3689f.JPG

We tried to revisit the park  in 2019 when we were on the Veendam.  At the park, we were told all that day's tickets were sold.  We needed to have purchased tickets online at least the day before.  We just looked around the area near the park then took a city bus back toward town.  

We were glad we had seen Park Guell and La Sagrada Familia on early visits when there were not as many tourists.

Lenda

Thank you for your kind words Lenda and fantastic photos of a wonderful city.

Most of our visits I recorded on our camcorder.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Good morning. Thanks @richwmn for setting things up to continue the Fleet Report/Daily while you cruise. I don't know a grouch to do a favor. I'm still afraid to cut the cable cord. A salute to innovation. Interesting quote. I like the meal, pass on the drink and yes to the wine if someone buys it for me.

I haven't been to Barcelona. I was to have embarked there on my cancelled 2020 HAL cruise; seeing La Sagrada Familia was/is a bucket list item

We broke a record by hitting 70F today. Now the temps have dropped and we're due for rain later. I am meeting with a new insurance person later, as I think my home and auto plans cost way too much. Then help BFF work on his DD DF's house some.

@cat shepard Thank you for starting us up today.

@grapau27 Sorry to hear you both have coughs, but good that your tests were negative. Wow, great photo of the Northern Lights!

@rafinmd I hope the results are positive from your tests. Keep working on getting more sleep.

@kazu Enjoy your time out of the house and lunch with your friend.

@0106 Nice food photos.

@aliaschief Stay safe from the storms tonight! 

@StLouisCruisers Nice to hear from you. Too bad you had to miss Costa Maya. 

@Quartzsite Cruiser Thanks for the Barcelona photos.

@marshhawk Good for you for taking a day off with DH. Good news that Fern is out of the coma, and that her sister is caring for her cat; I hope the doctors can figure out what happened to her.

@ktbraun Welcome home.

Prayers for the Care List (I will add New Zealand) and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay well everyone.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 6

Good morning to all from beautiful Tortola.

We were going to go to the beach today but had some rain and decided against it.  

Surprisingly it is a bit cool at 78 degrees high.

We went for a walk at the pier and ended up soaking wet and had to come back to the ship and change our clothes.

So I think the rest of the day will remain on board.

Thank you to @cat shepard for taking the helm and keeping us going during this time.  

Appreciate all your efforts and that of @JazzyV for the Cares and Celebration lists.

Interesting Days.

We have not yet cut the cable cord, but with the prices going up, it may be time to do so,.  As for do a grouch a favor, I try to be nice to everyone.  Innovations are wonderful and keep our world going.

I will pass on the wine, way above my budget.  The meal looks nice but not for today.  pass on the drink as well.

Okay on the quote.

@grapau27Graham, thanks for the lovely photo of the Northern lights.  Hope to see that some day.  Maybe on our cruise this summer of the Norwegian coast and the Baltics.

Prayers for all that need them.

Cheers to those who are celebrating and cruising.  Enjoy your days.

Take care and God Bless,

Terri

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

Good morning.  Thanks for the Fleet and Daily Report.

Just got back from running errands, got groceries, picked up the mail and filled the car with gas.  We got snow and ice pellets in this afternoon's forecast, so we're ready to stay home.

We haven't cut the cord yet, but the with the price rising, we may.  I try to do a favour to the grouch (aka DH) every day.😉  I'm not an innovator, but thank those that are.

Interesting quote.

The meal sounds great, wish I'd seen it before I went to the grocery store because I don't have any heavy cream, but I will make that recipe soon.  Thanks.

I'll pass on the drink.  Wish I could afford the wine.

We were in Barcelona several years ago, hope to go back someday.

Great picture of the Northern Lights Graham.  We saw them a few years ago not far from home, but we were so busy staring at the sky we didn't think to snap any pictures.

Prayers for everyone. 

Stay safe.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

Good morning from sunny and very cold Durango. We are supposed to have a few days of warming and sun before the next storm comes in next week. I had about 8 inches of the white stuff Tuesday night and Wednesday morning and that on top of what we still had on the ground. Schools were closed. We also had thunder snow and even more surprising, some pink lightening!!! I heard the thunder but I missed the lightening ... people who saw it said it was pretty spectacular and they were wondering if they were hallucinating but the weatherman has confirmed and explained it. It was only a couple of flashes. The weather is certainly weird these days. It was 2F when dogs and I did the first walk of the day... high will be around 22. Way below normal for this time of year. I think most of us are through with winter or would like to be.

Graham - thanks for the that picture. I have seen the northern lights, but the display was not nearly that bright. More like a couple of blips.

Off to do some quick shopping and collect the mail that is possibly in my box from the past couple of days.

Susan

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all!

Cloudy and high near 50F today. But yikes, I see that a week from today the low will be 18.  I guess winter isn't done with us yet.

I don't know any grouches personally but have certainly seen too many grouches on previous cruises. I'm always glad I don't have to be around them very often!   Cut the cable reminded me that DH is going to look into changing our cable plan (he would never cut it off) 😉  It just went up again, good old Comcast.  A big salute to innovators!  

The quote seems sad to me, will pass on the red wine and drink.  The meal looks really yummy, but I know it would be too rich for me (heavy cream and I don't get along). So I have mixed feelings on that. I'm planning on making a big Crab Louis tonight with garlic bread.  We've been to Barcelona a couple times, unfortunately one time was raining hard.  The other time we took a great tour to Montserrat -- but I can't find my photos. 😞  

Not much on the agenda today other than getting the house ready for 2 little kittens who will come tomorrow for 8 or 9 days.  Also I need to wrap a gift for a baby shower I'll be attending on Saturday.

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 20

Good morning,

I just returned from getting my cast. Unfortunately the tech ended the cast on my incision from taking the tendon in my forearm. I did not notice until in the car. Every time I move my arm it rubs it. I have left a message to get it redone. It won’t be today as we are covered in a layer of ice and don’t feel like tempting fate. I probably fit the grumpy definition now. 

The first time I visited Barcelona was in the winter. I turned a corner and there were a dozen or so shivering naked bodies laying on the ground with red paint on their bodies. They were protesting animal cruelty. People walked by without a care. I can just imagine the outcry we would experience if that happed here. 

My cutting the cord story involves my son on the way to his wedding. I told him today would be a painful day. He asked why and I told him when you cut the cord after 35 years it really hurts. He laughed and hugged me. He is a true momma’s boy. 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3

The wind arrived before I could run my errands, but I survived.  It is 41F, but the 21 mph north wind is making it feel like 32F.  Now that I'm home, I don't plan on leaving the house again today.  I even skipped my walk and drove to the mailbox.  At least, I walked through two grocery stores, so that should count for something or is that wishful thinking?  😄

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

Good morning. Thanks @richwmn for setting things up to continue the Fleet Report/Daily while you cruise. I don't know a grouch to do a favor. I'm still afraid to cut the cable cord. A salute to innovation. Interesting quote. I like the meal, pass on the drink and yes to the wine if someone buys it for me.

I haven't been to Barcelona. I was to have embarked there on my cancelled 2020 HAL cruise; seeing La Sagrada Familia was/is a bucket list item

We broke a record by hitting 70F today. Now the temps have dropped and we're due for rain later. I am meeting with a new insurance person later, as I think my home and auto plans cost way too much. Then help BFF work on his DD DF's house some.

@cat shepard Thank you for starting us up today.

@grapau27 Sorry to hear you both have coughs, but good that your tests were negative. Wow, great photo of the Northern Lights!

@rafinmd I hope the results are positive from your tests. Keep working on getting more sleep.

@kazu Enjoy your time out of the house and lunch with your friend.

@0106 Nice food photos.

@aliaschief Stay safe from the storms tonight! 

@StLouisCruisers Nice to hear from you. Too bad you had to miss Costa Maya. 

@Quartzsite Cruiser Thanks for the Barcelona photos.

@marshhawk Good for you for taking a day off with DH. Good news that Fern is out of the coma, and that her sister is caring for her cat; I hope the doctors can figure out what happened to her.

@ktbraun Welcome home.

Prayers for the Care List (I will add New Zealand) and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay well everyone.

Vanessa, I hope the insurance agent can lower your premiums.  It's very nice that you are helping BFF with going through his DD DF's house.

2 hours ago, ktbraun said:

Good morning from a snowy day in SE Wisconsin.  Not sure how much we'll get, but they cancelled all of the schools already last evening.  Sad to see our cruise end, but our pup was glad to see us.  We had a great time on the Eurodam.  I'm still feeling the "motion of the ocean" today.  We heard lots of coughing the last 2 days on the ship, and on our flights home yesterday.  We had masks on in the crowded areas, so praying we stay healthy!  Prayers for all that need them and "yay" for the others.  

We "cut the cord" with the cable tv service a while back, only issue is DH can't watch Brewers games anymore.  

It's back to cooking, etc. today.  The recipe looks yummy!  Thanks @dfish  Karen

Welcome home.  

2 hours ago, marshhawk said:

Good Thursday Morning Dailyites! This morning when I sat down at the computer the weather showed a moon and said the sky was clear.  There was no moon in the sky, and it wasn't clear.  It's cloudy and the weather forecast is for storms to come in tonight, with lots of rain, and strong winds.

DH and I decided that while we like making the extra money, we are not getting enough together time, and down time.  So next week we are going to schedule a day off, and both be on the same page when we choose a day.  A day that doesnt start with doctors appointments, just a real day off.

I know that I am not a medical expert by any means, but I do suffer from common sense,  Covid, as you know has changed multiple times since it raised it's ugly head in 2020.  We came up with home tests.  I have three different packs, but the brand of covid changes faster than our tests strips, so maybe  when people are testing the strips are not catching it because they are not made to test the new strain?  I am sure someone will correct me, but it seems that we need to assume that it's out there, and live our lives accordingly.  My doctors offices are no longer allowing the spouse to come in with you for a visit.  Our heart doc sees us both at the same time, which solves that problem.

@rafinmdIt sounds like you are sleeping better,  the only thing on tv that puts me to sleep is well, nothing,  I will nap through NASCAR, but  only if my favorite driver is out of the race. Try listening to DeBussy or Enya.  

@dfishThank you again for the great recipes and research.  

And to our Beverage team, I dont drink anymore, but I like the pictures.

@JazzyVThank you for your concern over my friend Fern.  She is out of the coma, but still in ICU.  She answered a text that Lisa and I sent her, she said she is in ICU because the doctors dont know why she passed out and fell, so they are watching and waiting and running tests.  She didnt know she had been in a coma for more than a week.  Her sister did figure out her address and is caring for her cat.  Yeah!

e4d45410970b3e58b1a287845a9e0453.png

funny-cat-cartoons-28.jpg

Annie, I like you idea of setting a day aside to be together without work or doctor's appointments.  Fortunately, our doctors allow the spouse to come in with the patient.  I'm glad Fern is out of the coma, and I hope the doctor's figure out what caused her to faint and can fix it.  I'm also glad her sister is taking care of the cat. 

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

One of Pauline's friends just sent this photo of the Northern Lights on her Norway cruise.

Graham.

IMG-20230216-WA0001.jpg

Graham, that's a stunning photo.  We saw the northern lights in North Pole Alaska in September in 1996.  Photos, no matter how stunning, don't do them justice.  BTW, for those who want to see the northern lights, September through winter seems to be the best time to see them.  Sadly, most cruises that go very far north start around the summer solstice and through August.  That is when the sun is up for long days, and 24 hours for part of that time.  That makes seeing the northern lights extremely difficult, if not impossible.

6 minutes ago, cruising sister said:

Good morning,

I just returned from getting my cast. Unfortunately the tech ended the cast on my incision from taking the tendon in my forearm. I did not notice until in the car. Every time I move my arm it rubs it. I have left a message to get it redone. It won’t be today as we are covered in a layer of ice and don’t feel like tempting fate. I probably fit the grumpy definition now. 

The first time I visited Barcelona was in the winter. I turned a corner and there were a dozen or so shivering naked bodies laying on the ground with red paint on their bodies. They were protesting animal cruelty. People walked by without a care. I can just imagine the outcry we would experience if that happed here. 

My cutting the cord story involves my son on the way to his wedding. I told him today would be a painful day. He asked why and I told him when you cut the cord after 35 years it really hurts. He laughed and hugged me. He is a true momma’s boy. 

Lorraine, ouch on the tech ended the cast on the incision.  Is there something soft you can put between the cast and the incision until the cast is redone?

Lenda

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all. We are decidedly colder this morning and also expecting some snow later. It was lovely and warm yesterday even with the wind which was fierce at times.

my father is a major grumpus and I always try to be nice  to him, I guess he is allowed since he is 92. He had a car accident last Friday, he was not hurt, and his car is so damaged insurance is writing it off. He has decided all by himself that he will not replace it and simply stop driving. I am glad I don’t have to force that decision on him. 

We cut the cord many, many years ago and watch tv over the air or streaming on our iPads. 

got my passport photo taken today. Never a good photo but as long as it accepted I don’t really care. I will apply for update after march 6 when we take my DSIL to Detroit metro airport for her flight home. Have no other border crossings planned before august so lots of time to get the passport. They seem to be caught up and it is taking normal times, 20 days if I mail it in.

prayers for all who need them and cheers to all celebrating. 

• Like 18

Good morning, Dailyites.  I think I am a grumpus today, too.  My plan was to do some gardening, and Pat has changed that to going to the wine shop.  Then I imagine it will be a coffee somewhere.  Oh, well, maybe gardening through the next week.  Pat has to have some surgery next month, and then the decision will be made as to whether we can travel towards the end of the March.  He will not be allowed to lift or carry, or even drink, so I will be doing the heavy lifting, and I'll have to drink for both of us, as we have the HIA.  I have a feeling we won't be going but he is determined.   I must read up on the standard insurance, which is what we have.

Thanks for the morning news, everyone.  Did we ever hear from @erewhon?  Hope they are safe in NZ.  Prayers for  all that need them, especially Tana.  I was happy to hear that Sarah is feeling better, and hope that continues.  

Kind of a dreary day here today, but the nights have been going down and there has been frost on the roofs, so winter is not quite over.  There are lots of things blooming though, and the owls are beginning to hunt for places to nest.  Every once in a while there is a story in the paper about people coming home and finding an owl roosting on their sofa.  They are hunting for cavities to nest in, and often fall down chimneys, if they are not meshed over.  As they are at the top of their food chain, they are not afraid, and quite curious.  

IMG_2540.thumb.jpeg.aadc1fab2c76d04a35a98f7cddc313f1.jpeg

• Like 17
  • Thanks 4