Everyone loves the Indian food. Why not have an Indian food speciality restaurant?

My Wife likes it but not my cup of tea, best to leave it just like it is as an option in the WJ.

Wouldn't be an A+ if I was to review it.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Denversail said:

I personally would love a Curry restaurant. A mix of Indian and Thai. That would be awesome.

Perfect.  I can do some mild curry, but DH wants to cry when the plate is in front of him.  

9 minutes ago, Denversail said:

I personally would love a Curry restaurant. A mix of Indian and Thai. That would be awesome.

3 minutes ago, flamingos said:

Perfect.  I can do some mild curry, but DH wants to cry when the plate is in front of him.  

The thought of a Curry Restaurant? When my Wife makes chicken curry in the Crock Pot it stinks the whole house up for a day.............can you imagine walking by  a curry restaurant on the ship? It would stink the whole ship up.......

Rather stick a RibEye Steak in front of me, Then I would be smiling. 🙂

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Denversail said:

Indian food is constantly given an A+ in reviews. Why not add it as an up charge restaurant?

Everyone loves flying first class too.  But most won’t pay for it.  Point is, the important question is how many would pay 40-50 extra for it.   I have no idea, but I’m guessing they’ve done some research on it.  

I imagined that for many it is a love it or leave it type of feeling.  So in a group of 4-6 you’d have a mixed bag of opinions and thus you’d skip it.  Or you’d have to have many none Indian offerings.  Steakhouses, Italian, and Seafood have much greater appeal.  

• Like 5

The smell of curry is one of very few smells I can't tolerate at all. I had to find a new place to live when I had an apartment next door to a lovely family from India, but the smell made me physically sick.  So it's no surprise that the taste of it, even if it's a tiny amount in the recipe, is intolerable for me.  Not sure if it's an allergy, but it's definitely an intense reaction.   

Funny, I was watching the TV show 'House Hunters' and it was an Indian family looking for a new home and the wife said she wanted a 'fully closed off kitchen' because of all the pungent smells from Indian cooking--and they didn't want their clothing and furniture to reek of curry.  Her words, not mine.  

Edited by rockmom
  • Like 19
  • Haha 2

I could see a free restaurant for Indian, but Indian served on ship is cheap, and the ship would LOVE everyone to eat that and order a ton of it.  They don't want to take it away from main dining - they'd rather add more to main dining if they thought everyone could and would eat it.

• Like 1

I tried Indian food a few times with my workmates several years ago. 

Just couldnt handle it .

The last time my clothes reeked so bad i left them in the basement as i didnt want to infest the bedroom.

I went to an Indian wedding , the flatbread was fine.🙂

• Like 4

Topnole has this one right. Money talks and money won’t pay a lot for an “Indian” restaurant. Now a Indian then Native American then Greek then Canadian then African then Caribbean then Norwegian restaurant, that would be “Gold”. 😉 

• Thanks 1

I sailed 7 nights on Serenade from Tampa in November 2022.  I ate all meals in Windjammer ... and daily at lunch and dinner there was an Indian food buffet - at which I participated frequently.  I enjoyed it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, loman said:

I tried Indian food a few times with my workmates several years ago. 

Just couldnt handle it .

The last time my clothes reeked so bad i left them in the basement as i didnt want to infest the bedroom.

I went to an Indian wedding , the flatbread was fine.🙂

There's no one type / one style of Indian cooking ... as there is no one style of "American" cooking, Mexican food, French ... etc.  Broad generalizations aren't helpful to understand why someone likes a particular cuisine, or not.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jimbo said:

The thought of a Curry Restaurant? When my Wife makes chicken curry in the Crock Pot it stinks the whole house up for a day.............can you imagine walking by  a curry restaurant on the ship? It would stink the whole ship up.......

Rather stick a RibEye Steak in front of me, Then I would be smiling. 🙂

25 yrs ago would see this on almost every Cruise was on. My then 8-10yr Daughter loved it, had Curry on Royal at least 2-3 nites a Sailing. She even had Caviar a couple nites. Even today 75% what she eats I wont touch. She makes Dinner every nite and have to decide if I'm on my own that nite, as was last 2 nites... Now my 13yr old Grand Daughter she'll eat what Mom Cooks but she Loves her Steak. Funny thing she does not care for things with ground beef or Hamburgers, calls it Fake Steak

• Like 1

There is always a varied selection of good Indian food available in the Windjammer.

The upper floor of the dining rooms on some ships were named Silk when they were going to go to Dynamic Dining, they would of featured Pan-Asian culinary dishes. 

Edited by Vibe
  • Like 1

Love Indian cuisine. Would definitely be in favor of a true tandoori (oven) restaurant on board,  that also made fresh Naan. A variety of samosas would be great. Mango Lassi,  yummy.  Indian food is not just curry. Americans need to get out of their comfort zone just a little.  Steak and lobster is great, but so is a lot of other things. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, Denversail said:

Indian food is constantly given an A+ in reviews. Why not add it as an up charge restaurant?

Sorry ..not sorry go to Indian. my body reject that slop like a powder coating spray gun . If you want to eat that stuff you go for it .no five hats here .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1