Clocks: forward & back.

Canuker

Has anyone had experience of clock changes similar to the following:

1. Day one in the UK. (on UK time), in port

2. Day two in the UK (on UK time), in port

3. Day three in France (France time = UK time plus 1 hour), in port

3. Day four back in England (disembarkation day) on UK time once more.

In a situation like that, can we expect the skipper to observe the two clock changes, forward and back, or is he/she more likely to leave "ship's time" unchanged?

The reason I ask is because we are using a private tour vendor shortly after arrival in France, who will obviously be on French time.

Thanks for any input

Canuker.

3 minutes ago, Canuker said:

In a situation like that, can we expect the skipper to observe the two clock changes, forward and back, or is he/she more likely to leave "ship's time" unchanged?

The reason I ask is because we are using a private tour vendor shortly after arrival in France, who will obviously be on French time.

Thanks for any input

Canuker.

In my experience the onboard time will always change, so as to be the same as local time. Less room for confusion that way.

5 hours ago, Canuker said:

Thanks for any input

Canuker.

Howdy @Canuker

I see you are posting on the Silhouette, 13 night Bermuda & France Trans Cruise, April 20 2023 Roll Call thread. To help you out I have moved your thread to the Celebrity Cruises forum where it will be on topic. 

Hope this will be satisfactory and glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic!

Happy sails,

Host Kat 

The only lines I've sailed that did not change ship's time to match local time include Celebrity, Carnival, Princess and RCCL. Go figure.

Our recent Celebrity Apex sailing, ship's time did NOT change to match local time.

We were on Florida time the entire sailing, even though Belize was an hour behind. It messed up a lot of people that did not pay attention to the paperwork, notice on beds at night before, and such that said "Stay on Ship's Time",  do not change to local time! Phones, "smart" watches, etc all went to local time and voila - lots of people who either missed or were rushing like crazy to make their tours.

So, no, not always do they change to local time; it's at the Captain's discretion. 

It really does depend on a variety of variables.

However, any reputable tour company will be aware of ship timing and adjust accordingly. 

Edited by reedprincess
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Canuker said:

Thanks for any input

Canuker.

I've taken your cruise in the past on Celebrity.  Each and every time, the clocks were changed each night to reflect local time.  I think you can count on it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, goofysmom99 said:

I've taken your cruise in the past on Celebrity.  Each and every time, the clocks were changed each night to reflect local time.  I think you can count on it.

OP here: I think I will.

Thank you gm99.

3 hours ago, reedprincess said:

The only lines I've sailed that did not change ship's time to match local time include Celebrity, Carnival, Princess and RCCL. Go figure.

Our recent Celebrity Apex sailing, ship's time did NOT change to match local time.

We were on Florida time the entire sailing, even though Belize was an hour behind. It messed up a lot of people that did not pay attention to the paperwork, notice on beds at night before, and such that said "Stay on Ship's Time",  do not change to local time! Phones, "smart" watches, etc all went to local time and voila - lots of people who either missed or were rushing like crazy to make their tours.

So, no, not always do they change to local time; it's at the Captain's discretion. 

It really does depend on a variety of variables.

However, any reputable tour company will be aware of ship timing and adjust accordingly. 

Princess always matches local time

I've done the itinerary you are referring to in UK and France and can confirm they do indeed shift time forward and back.

Most of the time Celebrity shifts to port time but on rare occasions they do stay on Ship's Time.  On the Greenland/Iceland TA the maintain ships time in Newfoundland, which has a 1/2 hour time zone change.    It was kinda funny as most couples kept one watch on Ships Time and one on Port time for making local tours.   Kept hearing people say my time or yours.

12 hours ago, goofysmom99 said:

Actually ship's time and local time do NOT always match. 97% of places -Yes. Newfoundland is not in synch (30 minutes off) so not always a match.  On the Mexican Riviera the ship will make one change instead of three and thus not always match.  Some strange Caribbean time issues too.

In Europe ship's time has always matched local time with a notice on you bed and in the daily program.  Tour operators absolutely should be aware of ship's time.

7 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Actually ship's time and local time do NOT always match. 97% of places -Yes. Newfoundland is not in synch (30 minutes off) so not always a match.  On the Mexican Riviera the ship will make one change instead of three and thus not always match.  Some strange Caribbean time issues too.

In Europe ship's time has always matched local time with a notice on you bed and in the daily program.  Tour operators absolutely should be aware of ship's time.

Not always in Europe….here’s a case where ship time and shore time didn’t match

414BE84F-B127-4F04-A772-6B451449D4C4.jpeg

It was really fun trying to figure things out back when Mexico observed daylight savings, but not on the same schedule as the US.  Nice that Mexico has largely dropped DST, if only we could get the US to do that - and move Florida to AST.

1 hour ago, Mark_K said:

It was really fun trying to figure things out back when Mexico observed daylight savings, but not on the same schedule as the US.  Nice that Mexico has largely dropped DST, if only we could get the US to do that - and move Florida to AST.

We cruised the Baja Ca. Itinerary last October and every port observed daylight savings time to match the comparable U.S. Time. For example Ensenada in Pacific time zone was on daylight time same as LA, Cabo was on Mountain daylight time, same as Denver, Mazlatan was on Central Daylight time, same as Chicago. Perhaps it will be different in 2023. 

Edited by edgee
Correction

8 hours ago, edgee said:

We cruised the Baja Ca. Itinerary last October and every port observed daylight savings time to match the comparable U.S. Time. For example Ensenada in Pacific time zone was on daylight time same as LA, Cabo was on Mountain daylight time, same as Denver, Mazlatan was on Central Daylight time, same as Chicago. Perhaps it will be different in 2023. 

Except for a few border cities, and the state of Baja, last October was Mexico’s final DST time change.

In all my years at sea we always 'flogged the clocks' to keep to local time. It was a bit of a pain when trading between the UK and the European near continent, and even more of a pain when travelling between two ports that were 12 hrs apart!

23 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Was your Mexican Riviera experience recent.  When we took a B2B in December we switched our time 3 times on each cruise.   It was a pain as it was usually just for 1 day.    The cruise we were on didn't stop in Ensanada but was Cabo, Puerto Vallarta and Mazatlan which may be the reason.

Hello,

It always pays to know what time zone the country/port keeps.

Very many years ago RCI's Navigator, on its maiden season in Europe out of Southampton, told pax to put their clocks and watches forward one hour in Lisbon. Now my geography won't win any prizes (and didn't a GCE 'O' level) but I did know that UK & Portugal kept the same time.

So literally hundreds of pax queued in the sun on the quayside for a hour waiting for coaches (keeping Portugal time) an hour behind ship's self imposed European time. Many, especially with small children, became quite distressed.

Later that night in the theatre Gordon, the Navigator's CD, asked the audience how they enjoyed their day in Lisbon - and boy did they tell him. The captain had to come to quell the near riot and, amongst other things, say that shuttle-bus fees would be re-reimbursed.

I wonder where Gordon is now as I've never encountered him since.

Regards,

Cublet