The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday March 18th, 2023

StLouisCruisers

Today is Awkward Moments Day, Goddess of Fertility Day, and Supreme Sacrifice Day

If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.--Albert Einstein

Meal Suggestion for today - Slow Cooker Moroccan Lamb Stew
Drink of the Day - Cranberry Cooler
Wine of the Day - Cave d’Esclans Whispering Angel Rosé, Cotes de Provence, France
Destination of the Day - Corinto, Nicaragua, Leon City

Eurodam

Willemstad Curacao, Netherlands Antilles 07:00 - 23:00

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination San Diego, California eta 3-25

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea Destination Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida 3-19

Nieuw Statendam

Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida 07:00 - 16:00

Oosterdam

Punta Arenas, Chile Antarctica 12:00 - 20:00

Rotterdam

Fort Lauderdale, Florida 0700 - 1500

Volendam

Fort Lauderdale, Florida 0700

Zaandam

San Diego, California 07:00 - 16:00

Zuiderdam

Walvis Bay, Namibia 09:00 - 19:00

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

Timaru, New Zealand 07:00 - 15:00

Westerdam

Hiroshima City, Japan Hiroshima 08:00 - 20:00

image.thumb.png.bbceea9afa8aab830c1580a7d637363f.png

Three BHB's heading into Port Everglades 4:45 am 3/18image.thumb.png.344efc854a4fe9a7676e1ca1d558ce2d.png

• Like 19
  • Thanks 16

Good morning friends!  I'm awake early today - must be coughing from pollen waking me up too soon.  Ahhh springtime!  We are sitting at 38F, expecting a high of only 51 and mostly cloudy according to the weather app.  The Port Everglades webcam has the Sky Princess ahead of the Rotterdam, Nieuw Statendam and Volendam with two Celebrity ships trying to edge their way into port too.  Will the cameraperson be awake for all this activity?  I won't wait to see.

I want to thank Rich @richwmn for putting all this information together for us.  He has chosen Awkward Moments Day, Goddess of Fertility Day, and Supreme Sacrifice Day.  I hate those awkward moments and hope I don't see any come my way today.  Hurray for the Goddess of Fertility is all I have to say about that!  Supreme sacrifice is a sobering thought.  Einstein's quote is probably quite true.  The Moroccan lamb stew is different and some of us might like to try that dish.  I would try a Cranberry Cooler and definitely the rose.  The port of Corninto, Nicaragua, Leon City is one of my least favorites ever.  Your mileage may vary.  That port was listed once before on July 5, 2021 and I will post the link to that date below.

Prayers for our Care list this morning and hope everyone begins to improve. 🙏  A salute to the Celebration list folks.  Some of you are sailing, embarking or disembarking and I hope you have (or had) a wonderful time!  I will be watching for my friend today as she sails out of Port Everglades on Sky Princess and will be waving at all the ships as they file by.  Thanks to Vanessa @JazzyV for compiling the lists for us and to Debbie @dfish, Ann @cat shepard and Dixie @summer slope for their part in the Daily.  

Here is Rich's post from July 5, 2021.

Here is what I said back in 2021.  If you got out of town on a tour to Leon then you might have better memories but I wasn't impressed.

Unfortunately, I have to admit we have been to Corinto, Nicaragua too.  It's near or at the top of my list of least favorite ports of call.  I have no idea why the cruise lines go there unless they are very kindly trying to boost the economy there.  But the passengers have to suffer a day spent there.  I took photos and tried to make it look nice in my photo book, but it is what it is.

First images are as the Westerdam approached the dock in March, 2016.  It looked like it was large enough and there were buses awaiting for tours.  But tours of what I'm not quite sure.enhance

Kainoa, the destination guru, was outside on the dock when the dancers and musicians began their performances.enhance

enhance

enhance

This was as good as it got.  The street you walked on to go to the center of town. enhance

One of the nicer kept establishmentsenhance

Looking for something to doenhance

There was caution tape to keep you out of this area, a market.enhance

There were some people who had bikes with a covered seat area behind them that would take you for a ride but I'm not sure what you would see.  The closest picture I have is this one with the fella on the left sitting on his bike.  I did see a few people hire one.enhance

In the center of town there was a dusty park where people were searching for wi-fi.enhance

Our entertainment?enhance

Close by was a statue of Padre Jose Schendel (it says so in my photo book) and I took a photo of it with my DGS's Flat Stanley.enhance

And a local church across the street.  enhance

This whole tour took a little over an hour and some of that time was looking for wi-fi.  I recommend the cruise lines find a better place to stop.  This was a Panama Canal cruise by the way.  

And that's that!  Today I want to wish DGS Ren's Michigan Jaguar soccer team luck as they play a team in Houston, Texas at 1 pm local time.  Then they drive to San Antonio and play a team there Sunday at 9 am.  I hear the weather in Texas is cold again and DS is thinking he has a weather jinx because everywhere he goes the weather is not very kind to him.  Any ideas on how to end his bad luck?

Time for the treadmill and probably the gym afterwards. Hope you all have a safe Super Saturday!

• Like 24
  • Thanks 6

Today’s care list:

Roy recovering from pneumonia

Lady Hudson’s DH with a fall, but ok

RedneckBob having to cancel his cruise

Volendam entertainer Devon Campbell who passed away

Cruzin Terri’s stress load 

Citizens of Ukraine

From the rotation:

Tana’s pulmonary issues 

Former President Jimmy Carter in home hospice care

StLouisCruiser’s DB with pulmonary fibrosis

Scrapnana getting chemotherapy

Celebrations and Shout outs:

Bon Voyage DWAliaschief!

Bon Voyage Seagarsmoker!

Welcome home ottahand7

Welcome home Lindaler

Welcome home Suslor

RMLincoln and DH feeling better

Smitty34877’s new aide for Tana

Many Dailyites planning cruises

3 Days for Kplady (Grand Princess 3/21 to 4/28)

Lady Hudson (Anthem of the Seas 3/19), Seasick Sailor and 57redbird (Koningsdam to 3/25), DWAliaschief’s sisters cruise (Rotterdam to3/29), Norseh2o (Oceania Marina to 4/6), and Cat in My Lap, Gail&Marty, Richwmn and HorizonChaser1957 (Zuiderdam to 5/12) at sea

• Like 23
  • Thanks 11

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report.  A little rain this morning then we get into the 50’s. I might get in a little yard work.  I’m curious what @dfish will share about today’s meal suggestion.  The kids probably feel like they sacrificed today by letting me sleep in until 5:30.  I hope everyone has a nice day today.

image.thumb.png.03dc3d4b6ad6481f60537b5ac5c0d88b.png

• Like 21
  • Haha 11

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

We've got a snow squall warning in effect for today until tomorrow morning.  🙁  High winds and heavy snow (at times) in the forecast.  It's a good thing we can stay home, I hope I can find a good movie to watch or maybe we'll watch a bunch of Vera episodes.

Awkward moments day!  That happens to me far too often.   We honour the goddesses of fertility.   And we give thanks to those who have fallen while giving the supreme sacrifice.  Two young police officers in Edmonton were killed a few days ago while on duty.  We pray for Travis Jordan and Brett Ryan.  RIP

An interesting quote.

Looking forward to seeing a recipe for today's meal suggestion, sounds good to me.

I hope the drink and wine are tasty too.

Thanks for the pictures of today's port.

Prayers for many.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a wonderful Saturday.

Stay safe.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

Today’s care list:

Roy recovering from pneumonia

Lady Hudson’s DH with a fall, but ok

RedneckBob having to cancel his cruise

Volendam entertainer Devon Campbell who passed away

Cruzin Terri’s stress load 

Citizens of Ukraine

From the rotation:

Tana’s pulmonary issues 

Former President Jimmy Carter in home hospice care

StLouisCruiser’s DB with pulmonary fibrosis

Scrapnana getting chemotherapy

Celebrations and Shout outs:

Bon Voyage DWAliaschief!

Bon Voyage Seagarsmoker!

Welcome home ottahand7

Welcome home Lindaler

Welcome home Suslor

RMLincoln and DH feeling better

Smitty34877’s new aide for Tana

Many Dailyites planning cruises

3 Days for Kplady (Grand Princess 3/21 to 4/28)

Lady Hudson (Anthem of the Seas 3/19), Seasick Sailor and 57redbird (Koningsdam to 3/25), DWAliaschief’s sisters cruise (Rotterdam to3/29), Norseh2o (Oceania Marina to 4/6), and Cat in My Lap, Gail&Marty, Richwmn and HorizonChaser1957 (Zuiderdam to 5/12) at sea

Thank you for today's lists Vanessa.

• Like 15

Good morning from sunny and warm (high 78F) St Petersburg.

A triple ship day in Ft Lauderdale today for sailaway; it should be nice.

Our St Patrick's Day potluck social had 50 in attendance last night, an enjoyable night.

I've been to Corrinto twice. First on the Rotterdam 2011 and on the Volendam in 2018.  The first time just walked the city which was just ok.  Then in 2018, we got a small van with driver and guide who drove us by the volcano and onto Leon.  I remember seeing horses and donkeys along the side of the road keeping the grass trimmed!  We were told the country encourages their owners to bring them there for exactly that reason and then return them to their quarters by evening.  I highly recommend venturing on such a tour there.

• Like 25

Cranberry Cooler cocktail:

Ingredients
1/4 cup cranberry juice concentrate thawed
1 tbsp simple syrup
2-3 drops peppermint extract
1/2 cup ice
12 oz. club soda or sparkling water
sugared cranberries and rosemary for garnish

Instructions
In a cocktail shaker, combine concentrate, simple syrup, extract, and ice and give it a couple shakes. Evenly seperate between two 8 oz. glasses.
Top off with club soda.
Garnish with sugared cranberries and a sprig of rosemary.

Notes

Make sugar cranberries fast by placing three on a toothpick, dipping them in simple syrup and rolling them in sugar.Add a shot of vodka or rum to each glass for an alcoholic version.

Screenshot 2023-03-18 at 7.16.53 AM.png

• Like 20
  • Thanks 10

Sandi thank you for getting us started this morning. Rich, thank you for getting everything ready, so it can continue while cruising. 

It is 10 degrees warmer than yesterday morning, but rain is expected. We need it, but…. The first of our wobbly legged fawns followed its Mom along the side of my house yesterday evening.  Super bright spots. And so tiny. Fawn season has officially started. 

Vanessa, thank you for tending our Cares & Celebration lists so diligently. I don’t even catch all my typos, I suspect I wouldn’t be very good at doing it.

Today Zumba, rug washing, Bindi walks, and dinner prep. Hoping that we can eat outside. As long as wind doesn’t blow the rain in to the covered area of my deck, we should be ok. 

798FE0EA-69CA-4F18-839B-99A2532083BB.jpeg.45d131b83cc44d703fc63634d3baf15e.jpeg

B23DCAB6-6E5C-43BA-8506-3FDAAD0964A1.jpeg.e36c9444a8750de4900cd9cbd6c8a5b0.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Get well & stay well everyone!

Cave d’Esclans Whispering Angel Rosé, Cotes de Provence, France

Thank goodness I recharged my decoder ring yesterday! This Rosé has consumer and critic fans. Widely available, online prices start at $17.49.

Winemaker notes

WHISPERING ANGEL IS TODAY’S WORLDWIDE REFERENCE FOR PROVENCE ROSÉ

Made from Grenache, Cinsault and Rolle (Vermentino) grapes, its pale color is pleasing to the eye and draws one in. The rewarding taste profile is full and lush while being bone dry with a smooth finish. A blend of the best free run juices and press juices, fermented and aged in stainless steel with temperature control.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 5

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily report with such an interesting group of days. We are all indebted to those who have made supreme sacrifices.  I love the quote by Albert Einstein, the simpler the better.  The meal suggestion sounds really tasty.  I haven’t been to today’s port, I’ll enjoy it through the photos, again.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events today!

• Like 23

Good morning to all. It is cloudy but already in the forties, going up to the fifties again.Today our city has its St Patrick’s Day parade and I suspect there will be a crush of people parking in our neighborhood and walking to the main route. 
We all have awkward moments but I guess there can be a day for it. Many have made the supreme sacrifice. I hesitate to say anything about fertility in these times we live in. I look forward to the recipe and have not been to the port.

We learned yesterday that there was a man arrested for threatening the mayor and other officials at the parade today. I am sure there will be a large police presence today in both an official and unofficial capacity. Scary stuff but I am glad something was done ahead of time.

Our first week with the new aide went well although I think both women found it to be quite emotional to deal with. I hope things will settle down to a routine that works.Today Tana and I will decide the evening meal and  do our usual preparation together later.DD has promised a cake for dessert which is always a pleasure. I am more of a cook than a baker and it is so nice that she enjoys baking.

Have a great day today and stay safe.

• Like 29

Thank you Rich, Sandi, Vanessa, Debbie, Dixie, and Ann.  Happy Saturday although we have a chill coming for a few days, the last gasp of winter.  Those who have made the supreme sacrifice deserve out eternal respect while I will pass on the other 2 days.  The meal sounds interesting.  I have not been to today's port.  Interesting quote by Einstein, and I'm curious about the meal.

Slept well again last night.

Roy

• Like 29

Thanks for the Fleet Update and General Info SLC.

The Quote of the Day: I guess if you can’t explain to me what you can’t explain to a six year old, I must be a Redneck.

Awkward Day: Happens to me every day when I tell my jokes on this thread.

And finally Goddess of Fertility Day. You are probably wondering where RNB is going with this. Well, here comes a true story. Several years ago the Misses had to go for her annual physical at a new doctor for ladies which was also a fertility clinic. As she was meeting with the doctor, I was sitting in the waiting room listening to beautiful music through the PA system. Then all of a sudden they began playing this song that I thought was unusually for a fertility clinic. The song was, “You Lost That Loving Feeling” by the Righteous Brothers.

• Like 10
  • Haha 14

Thank for our Saturday Daily, Sandi

Great collection of days!  Let us never forget those that make the Supreme Sacrifice for others.  Hoping not to celebrate awkward moments today - I have all too many of them 😜 

4E690F22-F499-44A2-AE3B-FE222D4CF0E7.thumb.jpeg.124b4ebc6f2d17a3e3f7a3bb7644ee48.jpeg

I like today’s quote and even more - the meal today.  We had the pleasure of lamb in Morocco and it is delicious.  I know a lot of people don’t think much of Corinto, but we really enjoyed it.  I arranged a private tour that took our roll call members to Leon.  A fantastic city and the climate there is not humid.  Really enjoyed our day there and the history in Leon.

@puppycanducruisesorry to hear about the weather in Ontario today.  It’s going to be messy here too.  Someone forgot to tell Mother Nature that spring is supposed to come on Monday.

6AB03767-2A14-4658-82B4-96F48572215E.thumb.jpeg.00f53fad8a399f66a9f31debae3af52b.jpeg

It’s going to be busy transplant day for me.  I went to water last night and OMG - all kinds of seeds had sprouted.  I check daily and I swear there was nothing there the day before.  Anyways, some had stretched and are moved.  I’m quite surprised as a couple are supposed to be hard to germinate - we’ll see if the babies survive 🤞and if the rest take.  Time to start others this week.

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and a toast 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

CD000F9F-E8D9-40A9-BC2B-315CE8D7E872.thumb.jpeg.9ed9c49db52f3e2cfd5366c1162dca96.jpeg

Have a great Saturday everyone!!!!

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

30 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Darn, I am too late to edit my post.

@StLouisCruisers

Sandi, if you find out the secret to breaking someone’s weather jinx, please share. I have a good friend, who has had such bad weather luck it has become a running joke.

I certainly will let you know if I find a way to put a good weather spell on DS.  This weekend is cold and wet in Texas, last weekend was cold and wet in St. Louis and the weekend before that he was at a conference in San Francisco where they had 80 mph winds and who knows what else.  I feel for your bad weather friend!

Since I posted about 4 hours ago our temperature fell even further to 35.  The sun is out right now so it looks pretty but it's not.  Very windy with clouds coming in.  I hope you get the rain you want!

• Like 19

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  I've had several awkward moments, many of them of my own doing.  We honour those who have made the supreme sacrifice, and as @puppycanducruise mentioned, the city of Edmonton is mourning the two officers who did just that this week at the age of 30 and 35.  So very sad.

After yesterday, DH and I both decided that when we pass away, our service is going to be held in the morning.  An afternoon service kind of leaves you with what we call a "nothing day".  You can't really head out in the morning and do things because you're watching the clock and have to get home, clean up and get dressed for the afternoon service.  Then, after lunch there's the service, the reception, and you get home around 5PM at loose ends.  Just my rambling thoughts this morning.

Friends are going to drop in this afternoon for coffee, so I'll make a brownie (their fave) to have on hand when they arrive.  This morning we're heading to a grocery store across town that has lean ground beef on sale for $2.50 a pound; I'll get a number of packages and stash them in the freezer.

I like today's menu suggestion, as I love lamb, but DH doesn't care for it, so will have to take a pass on it.  Considering the fact that there's going to be a lot of fresh ground beef in the house, I'll be making a meat loaf (DH's favourite), and we'll be enjoying it with mashed potatoes and green beans at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 29

Good morning, everyone!

We got a trace of snow last night and could get a little more, but not much accumulation.  It won't melt today as it will be too cold.  I've got nothing on the agenda and plan to stay nice and warm here at home.  

There were several recipes for the lamb stew that I found.  I was drawn to this first one by the mint.  I always associate lamb and mint.  When I was a kid I would eat the lamb to have the mint jelly that went with it.  I didn't really like the lamb, but I loved the mint jelly.  I have found since then that if the lamb is prepared well, I can enjoy it.  As a kid, lamb has a pretty strong flavor.  I probably would have preferred hot dogs.  https://www.aheadofthyme.com/2017/05/slow-cooker-moroccan-lamb-stew/

moroccanlambstew1.jpg.a676efccb41ef853605849305192f795.jpg

This next one uses their special spice blend, but I would probably just use the spices from the first recipe. I thought the addition of dried apricots was interesting.  https://www.themediterraneandish.com/moroccan-lamb-stew-recipe/

moroccanlambstew2.thumb.jpg.edce76d5dffcf8bb3e966761a5e33cc2.jpg

In this next one I am not sure what they mean by a preserved lemon.  It is worth looking up as I like lemon with most things.  Here you go:   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preserved_lemon

MoroccanlemonS.jpg.e65094498e1268c1657aaeee1ef91054.jpg

You definitely do not want to use just a plain lemon.  You can get these at Amazon and I'm also seeing them at Kroger and Meijer supermarkets.  Here's the recipe to use them in:  https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/slow-cooker-moroccan-lamb-stew

moroccanlambstew3.jpg.e754e3c7aa1b915e177b6a4538097ea2.jpg

I am thinking those lemons might add a lot to the flavor of the stew.  I may have to order a jar just to try them!

I hope this finds everyone well and wish you all a wonderful day.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 10

Good morning from a cloudy, but not windy central Texas.  The sun is trying to break through the clouds.  I'm beginning to sound like a broken record with our weather.  It's 42F and will get to 56F this afternoon, but the overnight low will be 34F.  There will also be wind this afternoon.

While I have awkward moments, I don't want to celebrate them.  After having two wonderful DDs, the Goddess of Fertility moved on.  I'll honor all those who have made the supreme sacrifice.

I like today's quote.  Albert Einstein was a wise man.  I like the KISS principle --Keep It Simple, Stupid.

We'll pass on the meal since DH is not fond of lamb.  We'll also pass on the drink and the wine, even though the wine is finally a reasonable price.

We have visited Corinto at least three times on BHBs.  I'll post my pictures shortly. 

Some of you may remember when Captain Albert was on the Statendam, the ship adopted a local school.  They gave the school enough paint to paint the school and other supplies to help improve the school  After waiting to see if the parents and teachers would work to improve the school, they continued giving supplies to the school.  Some of the painters and other crew members helped paint the only school with HAL blue.  We drove by the school on out bicycle tour of Corinto, but I couldn't get a picture of the it.

The ship and passengers collected school supplies for the children, but ran into problems with customs.  They invited the kids on board for lunch, and gave each one a backpack with school supplies, IIRC.  In 2020, the were still having some kids and their families on board after the welcome dance performance.

@StLouisCruisers Sandi, as far a the weather jinx in Texas for your DS, the only problem with summer is the heat and occasional thunderstorms. 

@smitty34877  Terry, I'm glad they made the arrest before the parade.  I'm glad the aide is working out, and hopefully their professionalism will help both Tana and the aide overcome the emotional issues.

@seagarsmoker and @DWAliaschief

BON VOYAGE!

BonVoyage.png.bd266af1feeb1a85f9a4d3455e964835.png

Lenda

Wow!  I can't believe I actually made the first page.

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 2

Good morning! Survived the storms that passed through yesterday evening and now it’s a windy 46 degrees and will only reach a high of 59 today. Not good for the spring breakers.
I’m definitely aware, humbled, grateful and mournful for those who have made the supreme sacrifice.🙏

it will be weird watching DW sail away on the Rotterdam today. First time we have not sailed together.

@rafinmd have you recovered from your bout of pneumonia or is it still dragging you down? Just curious.

@RedneckBob good to see your humor after such a let down yesterday. Pray all works out.

Haven’t put much thought of what I will do today. Sure won’t be going outdoors in my present wearing of shorts and polo shirt. Maybe this cold front wind gust will let the oaks shed their remaining leaves. 
Time for a second cup of coffee. Sandi thanks for getting up so early and getting the Daily started. Your loyalty is appreciated but it’s OK if you sleep in now and then.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Bruce

image.thumb.jpeg.365a7a2fd143756e4a405e00922bebd9.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.882697dbb9a9f297bd607db8c260dade.jpegimage.jpeg.d3bb1230213884cb17a2c295b854be7e.jpegimage.jpeg.0466bd2b152d8fa43c46a7bbe928cf53.jpegimage.jpeg.bede83b9ab92cb6b062bdc4d194914d6.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Haha 20