The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday April 18th, 2023

StLouisCruisers

Good morning and happy 150 th Holland america!    It’s such a lovely cruise line that has brought us together on this thread. We had the pleasure of sailing out of Rotterdam on the last Rotterdam and it was amazing!  I’m sure the Dailyites aboard will have an amazing time!  

In honour,  perhaps we all could share one of our favourite memories aboard HAL! 

Wishing a very happy birthday to those celebrating.  

I try not to stress about stress,  better to just take each day as it comes and let the past be the past!   Sometimes easier said than done, but we all have to learn to let things go.  

@kazu think you’ll be a goner, Ivan looks lovely!  ❤️

A photo of the Westie in Yokohama,  at the beginning of a most excellent adventure aboard as we circumnavigated Japan. 

FDA1E05F-CAEC-4218-94B2-BBC5CCE111EA.jpeg

• Like 22

Happy Anniversary Holland America Line!  Hoping everyone in on the Rotterdam, in Rotterdam is having fun celebrating.

@kazuIvan looks wonderful, hoping your meeting goes well!  

@marshhawkHoping your meeting with your Dr. goes well today.  

Thanks for all of the info and sharing here, have a great day!

• Like 14

Good afternoon, It’s a cool and cloudy day here. Again I’m wishing I was onboard a BHB for the celebrations. The picture of all the tulips is so beautiful 
Update on the vet visit today, only Tux made the trip as TT went ballistic when trying to get him in the carrier and went into hiding, brother has the battle scars to prove it. He’s now rescheduled for next Thursday, Need to get more calming spray. Tux did fine and gets picked up at 2:30.

Shout out to @Denise T, hey neighbor I’m right up the road from you In Reading.

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists. 

• Like 19

Good morning all!

Another drizzly, cool day here in the PNW.  

HAPPY BIRTHDAY HOLLAND AMERICA!!  

The drink looks good (of course it does, it has chocolate!), will pass on the red wine, and I think I would like the meal.  We have not been to Kralendijk.  

To join the recycling and yard waste discussion, we have 2 large bins (one for recycling and one for yard waste) and a small garbage can.  Garbage is picked up every week, as is the yard waste year-round.  Our recycling is picked up every 2 weeks, which with that large bin is perfect for us.  I have 2 composters for the garden and a kitchen composter.  Because of having the composters, our yard waste usually only has lawn clippings so is never very full.

Yesterday DH and I were still testing positive....faint red line but there.  So DH called his doctor's office just now and asked "what the heck"??  Basically he was told to stop testing.  Now.  It can show positive up to 90 days (we're at 2 weeks).  So that was a relief!  She said we're not contagious.  We will continue to wear masks inside on cruises or in crowded situations but will stop worrying about it now.  Whew!

Jacqui @kazu Ivan looks so sweet.  I hope you have a very good meeting!

@Cruzin Terri Happy Birthday to your DH Jim.

Tony @sailingdutchy Happy Birthday to your DW Martha.

Sharon @Sharon in AZ Happy 42nd birthday to your DD!

Marcia @dobiemom Good thoughts for your eye surgery tomorrow.  Good idea to have the help holding your head in one position.

Bruce @aliaschief I hope your head cold passes quickly.

@rothbury Welcome to the Daily and thank you for the great photos!

Annie @marshhawk I hope your appointment with the doctor goes well.

Caron @Cruisercl Thank you for your post on our roll call re "taking discussions off the roll call".  It has always been a pet peeve of mine when people suggest discussing things off the roll call.  Goes against the point of a roll call IMO and sometimes can even make people feel left out.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Later in the week the schedule shows a piano bar . Not sure what that means. The set up is still there. @RuthC I’ll try to remember to investigate and report back.

Thank you for that. I'll look forward to reading your report. 
If you would please note it as you did this, so I will get a notification? I don't normally read the daily. TY. 

The Volendam---none of the R-class ships, for that matter---ever had a Piano Bar; they all had a Piano Lounge. Very different vibe, although I had some good times in them. IIRC, eventually the Volendam was changed into Mix, which was even less like a piano bar, with seats in rows and around the perimeter, and the 'performer' doing planned lists. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

Animal stories for the middle of the week

Both of these involve emus.

Escaped emu takes owner and police on 20-mile chase in Tennessee

I remember a time when the Los Angeles Police Department chased a flock of chickens, unwisely brought in for a Jewish religious ceremony, down Robertson Boulevard.

Donkey, emu find love at animal shelter (from 2018)

That would not be the kind of bonded pair I had in mind.

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, RuthC said:

If you would please note it as you did this, so I will get a notification? I don't normally read the daily. TY. 

The Volendam---none of the R-class ships, for that matter---ever had a Piano Bar; they all had a Piano Lounge. Very different vibe, although I had some good times in them. IIRC, eventually the Volendam was changed into Mix, which was even less like a piano bar, with seats in rows and around the perimeter, and the 'performer' doing planned lists. 

Will do. And I hope I’m not raising hopes, but as of now, the schedule in Navigator says “Piano Bar Entertainer” at 8:00p. I’m not sure what the regular set ups are, or what you would consider “proper piano bar”.  This is in the Mix. I’ll snap a few pictures and ask around about whether it’s a pre planned set, or open to change. 

They do have a piano close to Ocean Bar where a gentleman was playing the other day, apart from the Mix.

Ill take the answers to a new thread so as not to hijack the Daily.

IMG_0244.png

IMG_0243.png

IMG_0242.png

Edited by TiogaCruiser
Added pictures
  • Like 13

I did get to Target and Staples this morning. It was just beginning to drizzle when I left; that continued intermittently, and on the way home it turned into very fine hail.

The shopping was successful, and since I'm not signed up personally for the Staples rewards program, I put the purchases there on my office's rewards account. One was a toner cartridge with a 30% reward, and they offered $20 merely for downloading their app and signing in, so this purchase earned almost $50 in rewards.

We have a board meeting tonight, and while there is nothing actually wrong I don't look forward to it. We have to deal with various housekeeping matters, not important or controversial but required legally, and it's typical for everyone to want to weigh in even though there is nothing much to discuss, and one matter that has been very controversial in the past. The reason for the controversy no long exists but I'm not counting on that's not exerting an effect. Only one more after this one before retirement, plus the annual meeting (which everyone loves, because we serve dinner).

taxbot.thumb.jpg.6e6caa95f55d9910ee36eed53bab24aa.jpg

• Like 10
  • Haha 11

1 hour ago, RuthC said:

What should I look for/ ask regarding the difference in Piano Lounge and Piano Bar?

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

P1170106.thumb.JPG.ae467258078686a3a2e5e0ece46f348f.JPG

I noticed the Radio Nederland tower because I used to have a shortwave receiver and listened to broadcasts from that relay. At the time, BBC World Service and Deutsche Welle had a joint relay on Antigua (they also used the Radio Canada International shortwave transmitters in New Brunswick).

Radio Nederland discontinued all international broadcasting except to Cuba in 2012 and the relay was eventually demolished. BBC discontinued much of its shortwave service, except to Latin America and Africa, and Deutsche Welle stopped broadcasting from Antigua (and Montserrat) but I think still leases time on some BBC and other transmitters in other parts of the world.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, HAL4NOW said:

The Koningsdam will be featured again on the Smithsonian Channel tonight at 6PM. It is part of the Mighty Cruise Ships series. It is from Season 3, so a little dated. Mighty Cruise Ships has already featured the Nieuw Stantendam in Season 4.

Here is the description of tonight's episode:

"The crew of the Koningsdam, Holland America's latest, largest and most technologically-advanced ship, face sailing through the narrow Norwegian fjords."

I don’t get the Smithsonian channel but found on YouTube. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Will do. And I hope I’m not raising hopes, but as of now, the schedule in Navigator says “Piano Bar Entertainer” at 8:00p. I’m not sure what the regular set ups are, or what you would consider “proper piano bar”.  This is in the Mix. I’ll snap a few pictures and ask around about whether it’s a pre planned set, or open to change. 

They do have a piano close to Ocean Bar where a gentleman was playing the other day, apart from the Mix.

Ill take the answers to a new thread so as not to hijack the Daily.

IMG_0244.png

IMG_0243.png

IMG_0242.png

Laura, on our 28 day Volendam cruise in Nov.-Dec. 2022 we had a Piano Bar Entertainer almost every night.  It would be listed in the When & Where 3 or 4 times an evening in Mix.  We saw a young man playing piano for a fairly full crowd on our way to or from dinner.  We spent our time in Ocean Bar listening to Ocean Bar Band, and Explorer's Lounge listening to the Classical Duo so didn't attend his sets.  

• Like 9

1 hour ago, kochleffel said:

I noticed the Radio Nederland tower because I used to have a shortwave receiver and listened to broadcasts from that relay. At the time, BBC World Service and Deutsche Welle had a joint relay on Antigua (they also used the Radio Canada International shortwave transmitters in New Brunswick).

Radio Nederland discontinued all international broadcasting except to Cuba in 2012 and the relay was eventually demolished. BBC discontinued much of its shortwave service, except to Latin America and Africa, and Deutsche Welle stopped broadcasting from Antigua (and Montserrat) but I think still leases time on some BBC and other transmitters in other parts of the world.

Paul, thanks for the interesting information about the Radio Nederland tower.  DH is the one who has a couple of short wave radios and listens to the foreign broadcasts from time to time.  I'm glad he got a picture of the tower when we were there.

1 hour ago, kochleffel said:

I did get to Target and Staples this morning. It was just beginning to drizzle when I left; that continued intermittently, and on the way home it turned into very fine hail.

The shopping was successful, and since I'm not signed up personally for the Staples rewards program, I put the purchases there on my office's rewards account. One was a toner cartridge with a 30% reward, and they offered $20 merely for downloading their app and signing in, so this purchase earned almost $50 in rewards.

We have a board meeting tonight, and while there is nothing actually wrong I don't look forward to it. We have to deal with various housekeeping matters, not important or controversial but required legally, and it's typical for everyone to want to weigh in even though there is nothing much to discuss, and one matter that has been very controversial in the past. The reason for the controversy no long exists but I'm not counting on that's not exerting an effect. Only one more after this one before retirement, plus the annual meeting (which everyone loves, because we serve dinner).

taxbot.thumb.jpg.6e6caa95f55d9910ee36eed53bab24aa.jpg

Paul, I saw an article the other day that said Staples would be closing their stores.  I don't remember when that will happen or even if it will.

4 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

Another drizzly, cool day here in the PNW.  

HAPPY BIRTHDAY HOLLAND AMERICA!!  

The drink looks good (of course it does, it has chocolate!), will pass on the red wine, and I think I would like the meal.  We have not been to Kralendijk.  

To join the recycling and yard waste discussion, we have 2 large bins (one for recycling and one for yard waste) and a small garbage can.  Garbage is picked up every week, as is the yard waste year-round.  Our recycling is picked up every 2 weeks, which with that large bin is perfect for us.  I have 2 composters for the garden and a kitchen composter.  Because of having the composters, our yard waste usually only has lawn clippings so is never very full.

Yesterday DH and I were still testing positive....faint red line but there.  So DH called his doctor's office just now and asked "what the heck"??  Basically he was told to stop testing.  Now.  It can show positive up to 90 days (we're at 2 weeks).  So that was a relief!  She said we're not contagious.  We will continue to wear masks inside on cruises or in crowded situations but will stop worrying about it now.  Whew!

Jacqui @kazu Ivan looks so sweet.  I hope you have a very good meeting!

@Cruzin Terri Happy Birthday to your DH Jim.

Tony @sailingdutchy Happy Birthday to your DW Martha.

Sharon @Sharon in AZ Happy 42nd birthday to your DD!

Marcia @dobiemom Good thoughts for your eye surgery tomorrow.  Good idea to have the help holding your head in one position.

Bruce @aliaschief I hope your head cold passes quickly.

@rothbury Welcome to the Daily and thank you for the great photos!

Annie @marshhawk I hope your appointment with the doctor goes well.

Caron @Cruisercl Thank you for your post on our roll call re "taking discussions off the roll call".  It has always been a pet peeve of mine when people suggest discussing things off the roll call.  Goes against the point of a roll call IMO and sometimes can even make people feel left out.

Carolyn, I'm glad the doctor's office told you both to quit testing and that you were no longer contageous.

Lenda

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Paul, I saw an article the other day that said Staples would be closing their stores.  I don't remember when that will happen or even if it will.

Both Staples and Office Depot have closed some stores recently. The issue for them is that B2B purchasing has moved almost 100% online. Individual purchasing, including work-at-home, hasn't shifted as dramatically, but business volumes are larger.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

@kazu I sure hope Ivan works out for you.

I've been remiss on my progress reports.  Despite all the mowing and the Doctor's appointment I fared reasonably well last night I was perhaps a bit more tired than usual by evening and did doze off early but not too bad and I slept extremely well.

The Podiatrist worked out well today.  The appointment was 9:30 and I arrived a bit before 9:20.  I was quickly checked in, just sat in the waiting room when I was called to the exam room.  It was less than 5 minutes before the Doctor arrived, looked at the foot, felt some pulses, and I was free with no followups until my regular appointment in June.  I was out of the office at 9:32.

Sometimes the truth seems almost stranger than fiction.  I got a call out of the blue from my Pulmonologist mid afternoon, and he briefed me on last week's ct scan.  While I thought his interpretation might have had a somewhat different take than the Oncologist they were virtually identical.  Now I can't make this up.  Next thing he asked me if I had an upcoming appoint and when I said "tomorrow morning" then "well, I guess we don't need that" so at this point I have no medical appointments until June but there are some things I need to schedule, as well as a hair cut.

Roy

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I've been remiss on my progress reports.  Despite all the mowing and the Doctor's appointment I fared reasonably well last night I was perhaps a bit more tired than usual by evening and did doze off early but not too bad and I slept extremely well.

The Podiatrist worked out well today.  The appointment was 9:30 and I arrived a bit before 9:20.  I was quickly checked in, just sat in the waiting room when I was called to the exam room.  It was less than 5 minutes before the Doctor arrived, looked at the foot, felt some pulses, and I was free with no followups until my regular appointment in June.  I was out of the office at 9:32.

Sometimes the truth seems almost stranger than fiction.  I got a call out of the blue from my Pulmonologist mid afternoon, and he briefed me on last week's ct scan.  While I thought his interpretation might have had a somewhat different take than the Oncologist they were virtually identical.  Now I can't make this up.  Next thing he asked me if I had an upcoming appoint and when I said "tomorrow morning" then "well, I guess we don't need that" so at this point I have no medical appointments until June but there are some things I need to schedule, as well as a hair cut.

Roy

Sounds like some encouraging news Roy. Are you back to your morning walks yet? 

• Like 8

32 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

Great news Roy!  I agree with Bruce, time to start moving slowly towards taking walks again.  Very slowly!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

Excellent news, Roy!   I agree with Bruce and Sandi.  Start with very short walks.  If you could mow the back yard, you can go a short distance.  Work your way up slowly.  You'll feel better for doing it.  That is probably why you slept well last night!  

Do you remember back when you had burning lips?   What did they give you for that?  And did it help?  My sister is moaning about it again and says only chapstick helps but that isn't always enough.

• Like 6

Lots of people wearing orange. 

BC5AE57C-3A0C-4EA5-8386-1A5D9B08936D.thumb.jpeg.0347ec716fd58ba288fcdb609abec251.jpeg

The piano lounge that I go to for trivia is next to Mix, it’s sort of an open area between the two. Trivia has been held there but it’s called Mix in the program. I’ve not heard anyone playing it yet but I don’t frequent it unless it’s trivia. Back in the day it was more closed off and Mix was the Sports Bar. Even the shops area nearby is more open than the last time I was onboard. But that was 22 years ago so lots of changes since then. But I still love this ship and the smallness. You can actually look up and down the corridor from your cabin and see all the elevators. 

• Like 18

@RuthC So I think we have a positive ID on a piano bar on Volendam. We just walked through a few minutes ago. The very charismatic singer was doing Elton John’s Piano Man, singing the verses and coaching/coaxing and expecting audience participation on the choruses. 

IMG_0250.jpeg

Edited by TiogaCruiser
The longer video didn’t load.
  • Like 11

50 minutes ago, dfish said:

Excellent news, Roy!   I agree with Bruce and Sandi.  Start with very short walks.  If you could mow the back yard, you can go a short distance.  Work your way up slowly.  You'll feel better for doing it.  That is probably why you slept well last night!  

Do you remember back when you had burning lips?   What did they give you for that?  And did it help?  My sister is moaning about it again and says only chapstick helps but that isn't always enough.

When I saw the Doctor he was unsure if the problem was a fungus or a bacteria, and he prescribed 2 things.  cefuroxime axetil for the bacteria, and triamcinolone acetonide if it was fungal.  I think in my case it was fungal, and I would be careful about specifically suggesting either of those drugs.

Roy

• Like 5