The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday April 19th, 2023

StLouisCruisers

4 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Screenshot_20230419_095934.jpg

My DW's grandmother almost settled in western Washington, but after a couple months she left. The deciding factor that caused her to move to California was that she wasn't able to hang her laundry out without it getting rained on. 

• Like 15
  • Haha 9

Good Wednesday Morning Dailyites.  Every year for my birthday I ask DH for a solar powered clothes dryer.  There is something about the smell of sheets on the bed that have been dried in the sun and wind.  However, I never get one.  And now that we are bird feeders, I am not so sure that the sheets would actually come back in to the house very clean...

DH ended his training for Walt Disney Concert Hall.  He starts today, and of course the minimum hours he can work for them is 20, and since the week is half over, he is trying to pack in as many hours as he can.  Turns out that I am the only one on the Arizona campaign, and I have to work 20 hours for them and since we started with just one hour on Monday, and we have plans for Thursday, like dr's and a concert, and we have lunch plans on Saturday so between events, my bosses want me to add in work hours on the days I had scheduled off.  So much for days off.

d1bf2cfe0f2d957f24bf6ded96479da1.jpg

Which brings me to garlic....I told DH that for my birthday I wanted to break all the diet rules and order a meal that he orders at a Cajun Restaurant.  It's crayfish ravioli in a creamy garlic sauce.  It is so good!  But I also want to have my friends with me, so Saturday would have to be the day, as Penny leaves on Sunday.  So I work Saturday morning for NY and go have a nice lunch, and when I get back make up the rest of the hours with Arizona.  What fun!

05e08ffd3cd126d75fca414b7d41cc5c.jpg

@grapau27Great bicycle story, wonder what ever happened to Albert Hoffman....

@kazuIvan is very cute, his face shows intelligence, but he looks like a snuggle bunny,

c7cc4945-207f-4993-8566-d834587c3e0e.jpg

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 10

Good morning,

I am sorry that Jacqui will not be with me in a month when we visit Flam. It will be my first time there.  My 5/6 cruise on NS will have all new ports for me(except embarkation in Barcelona). I am looking forward to that. I am slowly gathering things to get ready. I am normally a last minute packer.  Any suggestions are welcome. 

I will pass on food and drink today. I am still mulling the quote over in my mind. The why was hard to see this past year but I found the how. 

Gray cloudy weather and hopefully no rain. I will try to fit a walk in (part of lose that 5 pounds) sometime later this afternoon. 

Prayers for those on prayer list.. Have a great day!

• Like 26

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  I love garlic, enjoy hanging out (and the smell of laundry fresh off the line), but haven’t had a bicycle in years. 

It appears we might have escaped the worst of the storm, but we’ve still got snow - on top of rain that froze overnight.   Police are already warning people to put their zoomy-zoom thoughts aside because they’ve attended many fender benders over the past few hours. Our friends are so happy they came to the city a day early so they didn’t have to worry about their safety.  Medical appointments are the order of the day for them, but not until just after lunch.  By that time (hopefully) the city will be out with sand and salt so driving won’t be quite as treacherous.  More snow is expected this afternoon, continuing on through tomorrow, so we’ll have to see what happens.

Seriously, this as what it was like this week:

4814826A-E3C7-4C87-9D35-F2ADFCEF3277.thumb.jpeg.74a16ad25318454b11a711f9faa71322.jpeg

I like today's menu suggestion, but would likely substitute salmon for the tilapia.  Our friends insist on treating us to dinner tonight, so I have no idea what it will be, but I don’t have to prepare it, and I know it will be good. I heard them talking about ordering in, so we’ll enjoy food and good chats at the dining table tonight. And wine.  Followed by several rounds of Sequence.  The ladies have to come back from our losses to the gentlemen last night.  

Prayers for everyone in need, cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing! 🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 28

26 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

Good Wednesday Morning Dailyites.  Every year for my birthday I ask DH for a solar powered clothes dryer.  There is something about the smell of sheets on the bed that have been dried in the sun and wind.  However, I never get one.  And now that we are bird feeders, I am not so sure that the sheets would actually come back in to the house very clean...

DH ended his training for Walt Disney Concert Hall.  He starts today, and of course the minimum hours he can work for them is 20, and since the week is half over, he is trying to pack in as many hours as he can.  Turns out that I am the only one on the Arizona campaign, and I have to work 20 hours for them and since we started with just one hour on Monday, and we have plans for Thursday, like dr's and a concert, and we have lunch plans on Saturday so between events, my bosses want me to add in work hours on the days I had scheduled off.  So much for days off.

d1bf2cfe0f2d957f24bf6ded96479da1.jpg

Which brings me to garlic....I told DH that for my birthday I wanted to break all the diet rules and order a meal that he orders at a Cajun Restaurant.  It's crayfish ravioli in a creamy garlic sauce.  It is so good!  But I also want to have my friends with me, so Saturday would have to be the day, as Penny leaves on Sunday.  So I work Saturday morning for NY and go have a nice lunch, and when I get back make up the rest of the hours with Arizona.  What fun!

05e08ffd3cd126d75fca414b7d41cc5c.jpg

@grapau27Great bicycle story, wonder what ever happened to Albert Hoffman....

@kazuIvan is very cute, his face shows intelligence, but he looks like a snuggle bunny,

c7cc4945-207f-4993-8566-d834587c3e0e.jpg

He died of a heart attack aged 102.

Screenshot_20230419_144011.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 9

I'm all in favor of garlic, but maybe not in ice cream. I don't have an outdoor clothesline but I often air-dry laundry on hangers. I don't have a bicycle; a friend here who used to ride one to work stopped because the crazy drivers in cars made it too dangerous--it's impossible to go much of anywhere in our town without using the main streets, which are state highways.

I'm not very fond of tilapia, although a piccata sauce might improve it. I'd prefer Roy's alternative. No, no, no on pineapple drinks. I would probably like the wine. I haven't been to Flam.

It was 39° when I got up (rather late) and will probably reach 59° this afternoon. Tomorrow will be warmer and on Friday it could be back up to 86°.

The board meeting last night wasn't horrible, but I woke up at 4:00 a.m. and couldn't get back to sleep until 6:00. They want to know whether I want red wine or white at my retirement lunch, but I'd prefer that the event not take place at all.

kissing-hissing.thumb.jpg.5e490a5597571d92f57e6c60add1dbba.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 9

Good morning from an already very windy and cloudy central Texas.  It is 68F and the predicted high is 82F.  Right now the wind speed is 13 mph but by 1 pm it will be 19 mph.  We have a slight chance for rain today, but a larger chance tomorrow beginning about 10 am (always a moveable target in Texas) through Friday morning.  

This morning I have an appointment with my hygienist to get my teeth cleaned.  Not my favorite appointment, but if it keeps me from having the dentist do something more drastic, I can put up with it twice a year.  I really like my dentist who is very patient, but I'd still rather avoid having him rummaging around in my mouth.

We like a lot of garlic in our food, so I can always add Joy's @Seasick Sailor to our food if she will not be sharing the meal with us.  When we're in Quartzsite, I try to hang our clothes our to dry.  While clotheslines are no longer prohibited in our little community, there are other factors that make hanging clothes out not practical, including a lot of pollen in the air.  It's been almost 25 years since we got rid of our bicycles.

The quote is interesting, but it still has me trying to figure it out completely.

If we were to have today's meal, I would need to find a different white fish or substitute chicken.  The drink sounds a little too sweet for me, and that's saying a lot.  I would like to try the wine and was pleasantly surprised the price was not higher.

We have been to Flam once in 2005 on Marco Polo.  I'll look for my pictures from that very pretty town and picturesque area in a few minutes.

@grapau27  As usual, thank you Graham for sharing the information about today's days and Albert Hoffmann.  Obviously, LSD did not affect his longevity.

@cat shepard  Ann, I hope your ice maker can be repaired easily and not expensively.

@kazu  Jacqui, thanks for the additional pictures of Ivan.  He is a really big boy.

@ottahand7  Nancy, I'm glad your minor surgery went well, and you are doing well.

@dfish  Debbie, thanks for all the information about garlic.  I'll keep it's healing powers in mind.

@rafinmd  Roy, the bombing of the Murrah Building was horrific, especially because of the day care center being involved, too.

@aliaschief  I'm glad you are feeling better, and keep taking the prescribed wee dram of whisky.  🥃

@ger_77  Gerry, I also hope the streets are in good shape by the time your friends leave for their appointments.  Enjoy your dinner tonight.

@marshhawk  Annie, happy birthday.  Birthdays are for breaking the rules.

HBCat.jpg.67ad412cc3e0cf19221d9c5c4c148d93.jpg

Lenda

• Like 21
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

We were in Flam in 2005 on the Marco Polo.  We took the train up to Myrdal where we had time to walk around and have lunch before boarding a bus to Gudvangen where the ship met us.

All my pictures of Flam were taken from the ship.  I'd like to go back some day and explore the town.

IMG_5432.thumb.JPG.2839ff82e15b57733487d9ce56c4a949.JPG

IMG_5434.thumb.JPG.49e19a4971ff8538379ced4283f6a308.JPG

IMG_5437.thumb.JPG.96aaa54c2806448eff7d830c4c47022b.JPG

IMG_5440.thumb.JPG.9c661cc0ef585e1a2983464298b2c1c6.JPG

The train

IMG_5444.thumb.JPG.cfcf1a5bb66279afef32695465096871.JPG

IMG_5446.thumb.JPG.d8e297a02eaf83236b567941a66a8c94.JPG

IMG_5452.thumb.JPG.c2bc0f15d0245c81495df529520c2008.JPG

Here are some pictures of our walk around Myrdal, a pretty mountain town.

IMG_5456.thumb.JPG.84381d6a40786ce34d10a1a10cd485b0.JPG

IMG_5457.thumb.JPG.ee17d5cb6b561d1a922eacb32896b1c6.JPG

IMG_5458.thumb.JPG.6d7a5364079adc97ec17915a88e7eb1d.JPG

IMG_5463.thumb.JPG.623d8f91b7c0af70bb4c7a3417cb0413.JPG

IMG_5464.thumb.JPG.d56eaeb4e6c4630b337aa69cad8eea0e.JPG

IMG_5475.thumb.JPG.5b013745d3b3c02d18d0697c637bdb56.JPG

Lenda

• Like 24
  • Thanks 6

Good morning. It will get up to sixty again today but is presently only fifty and very breezy. There is so much visible pollen in the air today, even one of the dogs is sneezing. We don’t have a outside structure upon which to hang laundry but between the birds,pollen and soot it would not go well here. The recipe today looks good but will be tried another day as we have lasagna in our future. I decided to make it today as it won’t get too hot with the oven on later.

We have not been to Flam but the pictures are wonderful. Thank you Sandi and Lenda.

Tomorrow DH will meet with the GI doc regarding what needs to happen next. Fingers are crossed.

@marshhawk, Annie, Happy Birthday to you and I am so happy that you will be able to go on the cruise.

Take care everyone.

• Like 21

55 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

We were in Flam in 2005 on the Marco Polo.  We took the train up to Myrdal where we had time to walk around and have lunch before boarding a bus to Gudvangen where the ship met us.

All my pictures of Flam were taken from the ship.  I'd like to go back some day and explore the town.

IMG_5432.thumb.JPG.2839ff82e15b57733487d9ce56c4a949.JPG

IMG_5434.thumb.JPG.49e19a4971ff8538379ced4283f6a308.JPG

IMG_5437.thumb.JPG.96aaa54c2806448eff7d830c4c47022b.JPG

IMG_5440.thumb.JPG.9c661cc0ef585e1a2983464298b2c1c6.JPG

The train

IMG_5444.thumb.JPG.cfcf1a5bb66279afef32695465096871.JPG

IMG_5446.thumb.JPG.d8e297a02eaf83236b567941a66a8c94.JPG

IMG_5452.thumb.JPG.c2bc0f15d0245c81495df529520c2008.JPG

Here are some pictures of our walk around Myrdal, a pretty mountain town.

IMG_5456.thumb.JPG.84381d6a40786ce34d10a1a10cd485b0.JPG

IMG_5457.thumb.JPG.ee17d5cb6b561d1a922eacb32896b1c6.JPG

IMG_5458.thumb.JPG.6d7a5364079adc97ec17915a88e7eb1d.JPG

IMG_5463.thumb.JPG.623d8f91b7c0af70bb4c7a3417cb0413.JPG

IMG_5464.thumb.JPG.d56eaeb4e6c4630b337aa69cad8eea0e.JPG

IMG_5475.thumb.JPG.5b013745d3b3c02d18d0697c637bdb56.JPG

Lenda

Lovely photos Lenda.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I like garlic in cooking. I grew up hanging out laundry as we had no dryer. I haven't ridden a bicycle in a long time; and never learned gears or used hand brakes. I will pass on the meal (fish), unless made with chicken. I like the quote. Pass on the drink and yes to the wine.

I haven't been to Flam.

Another chilly start, but it's sunny and will be going into the mid-60's. Today I'll be getting a haircut. Then doing some laundry; I've been trying for 2 days, but there have been nearby water main breaks with brown water, so I put it off.

@StLouisCruisers Thank you and @richwmn for today's FR/Daily. Lovely photos from Flam.

@grapau27 I hope PT will be helpful for you. 

@TiogaCruiser Enjoy Aruba!

@cat shepard I hope the ice maker is fixable/replaceable.

@kazu Good luck with your decision about Ivan. 

@ottahand7 Good to hear all is well.

@aliaschief I'm glad you're feeling better today.

@marshhawk Happy Birthday! Is it today?

@rafinmd Thank you for the reminder of the anniversary of the Oklahoma City bombing.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Thanks for the Flam and Myrdal photos. 

@smitty34877 Prayers for DH's GI appointment tomorrow. 

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Be well everyone.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 6

Good morning all!
I love garlic and use it a lot in recipes.  In the past I always hung out the laundry, but that was when we lived in sunnier places like CA.  I can't remember the last time I rode a bicycle.  Will pass on the red wine and pineapple drink, but do like the meal.  But tonight we'll be having salmon, and I'll be making the "Balsamic Glazed Salmon with Strawberry Relish".  Yum. Has anyone else made it?  It was the meal of the day a few weeks ago.

We've been to Norway a few times but never to Flam.  I do remember it was on an itinerary of a cruise we had to cancel.

Today I have a few errands and shopping to do, and IF it stops raining maybe some gardening.  

Last night I got an email from Netflix.  After 25 years, they are discontinuing the DVDs as of the end of September.  We were grandfathered in and got 2 discs/month for $5, and have gotten them for 22 years.   Makes me sad, because I just don't like the idea of going to streaming --  Oh well, there are worse things!

Annie @marshhawk Is today your birthday or is it Saturday?  If it's today, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

Edited by Cruising-along
  • Like 20

Good Morning from a cloudy and cool day at the beach

Rocket launch this AM but it it was too cloudy to see it but you sure could hear and feel it!

I do like garlic  I still have my old bike which I do use on occasion. It seems everyone has gone to e-bikes and it is a little unsettling when they come flying up behind you. They actually had a meeting last nite regarding those bikes and scooters. Dont know the result yet.  No sense hanging anything out here- too humid.

@marshhawk A very Happy Birthday and many more! Enjoy your special day.

I was hoping that there would be some news regarding Grands and the 2025 World Cruise at last nites party. Dont see anything yet. 

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

• Like 20

11 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

This is the nearest beach to our house at 5 miles away.

Most of my photos in the car overlook this beach.

A little history.

IMG_20210423_112924.jpg.9098816e3695f3b6db66ad5cb68970ce.jpg

Screenshot_20230419_151054.jpg

Screenshot_20230419_150726.jpg

Screenshot_20230419_150806.jpg

Screenshot_20230419_150901.jpg

Graham, that's a very interesting piece you posted about the sea glass at your local beach.  Do you ever go looking for unusual pieces and colors of it?  Crafters like to make jewelry with it and I seem to remember a gift shop in St. George's, Bermuda that had handmade sea glass jewelry for sale.  Thanks for telling us about it.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Love Flam...We pre-purchased tickets directly from Flamsbana, which require round trip on same train.  With HAL tours, there were options to explore at the top and get a nordic snack - but there did not seem to be much there.  After train ride, we did a hike that took us up to Brekkefossen. Steep trail with plenty of goats ... and goat stuff on the stone stairway/trail.  Great views from the top. New Rotterdam waits below.

20220603_124318.jpg

20220603_124615.jpg

20220603_124342.jpg

Edited by jl88
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 4

30 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Graham, that's a very interesting piece you posted about the sea glass at your local beach.  Do you ever go looking for unusual pieces and colors of it?  Crafters like to make jewelry with it and I seem to remember a gift shop in St. George's, Bermuda that had handmade sea glass jewelry for sale.  Thanks for telling us about it.

Thank you Sandi.

There is always a few dozen people on the beach looking for the glass and we have seen lots of nice pieces of coloured glass at Seaham vane tempest beach.

Vane tempest also had a large underwater coal mine and there used to be a lot of coal washed up on the beach which locals would help themselves to.

Graham.

Screenshot_20230419_170313.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 2

Greetings all. We have sunshine today but still a bit chilly. Will warm up the rest of the week.

welcome @jl88. Nice to see you posting.

i celebrate national hang out day until the end of October. We put out the clothes line two weeks ago. It does mean that I chase the sun for drying and can’t always do laundry on Saturday but, hey, I am retired so that’s ok. 

@marshhawkhappy birthday whenever you chose to celebrate it. A celebratory shout out to others celebrating and prayers for those that need them.

• Like 20

50 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

But tonight we'll be having salmon, and I'll be making the "Balsamic Glazed Salmon with Strawberry Relish".  Yum. Has anyone else made it?  It was the meal of the day a few weeks ago.

I made to rave reviews!
Enjoy, Carolyn. 

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1