The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday June 15th, 2023

richwmn

Good morning!  Well we had rain so today we have the wet smoke smell, I foolishly thought the rain would help clear it out.   Prunes also may help with bone density.  

Thanks for the wonderful Shetland photos,  I’m a fan of the tv show and Ann Cleeves.   It feels very familiar.  We are scheduled to visit next year, hopefully.  But HAL just changed the cruise a lot, instead of embarking in Copenhagen and visiting Oslo they have both been dropped.   We love Copenhagen, so not a plus for us to go through Amsterdam.  

DH takes some wonderful photos. And Sometimes I’m lucky. 

IMG_4438.jpeg

DSC_2983.jpeg

DSC_3043.jpeg

DSC_1161.jpeg

DSC_2975.jpeg

DSC_1979.jpeg

DSC_0888.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 30
  • Thanks 7

3 hours ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

We lost a friend who was from near London, Ontario, recently who had severely reduced lung capacity, when he had traveled from Florida back to see family and friends.  Even though he traveled by car with back up oxygen, the poor air conditions caused by the wildfires were too much for him.  He seemed rather well the end of May when he was here at our monthly potluck.

I am so very sorry to hear this 😔 My condolences to you and his family.

3 hours ago, durangoscots said:

Good morning. I am happy to report that Bandit seems recovered from the "whatever it was".

Yay 🙂.  Great news 👍 

2 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Good morning to all.  Happy Thursday.

Thank you to Rich, Debbie, Ann and Dixie for your contributions and to Graham for making me smarter about the Magna Carta.

Today is a busy day when we get to do al the last minute stuff to make sure we are good to go tomorrow.

Can’t believe we are finally going on this cruise.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and cheers to those celebrating and cruising.

God Bless,

Terri

Safe travels, Terri!

2 hours ago, cruising sister said:

I love the quote and I think I am experiencing it now. I feel people are trying to define who I am when I don’t even know that now. Widowhood is a new and challenging journey. 

It absolutely is. 💔 Hang in there, Lorraine.  

Thanks for all the kind words. I was ready to crawl back into my home and not see my friends. I hate conflict and tend to avoid it and blame myself even if I have not done anything. 

So glad you are not going to let that one person influence you and your relationship with friends 👍 ❤️ 

85027CBE-C004-44A6-AD69-3EE1DCCA3189.thumb.jpeg.ad2d8740e5f0fec50c5d1ed7389226a2.jpeg

Beautiful!  (Or handsome)

4 hours ago, ger_77 said:

just had a great early morning conversation with our DS who is celebrating his birthday today. 

A very happy birthday to your DS, Gerry 🥳 

IMG_9956.gif.cbbad518f84db22ffe59648eb04d30f8.gif

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

I think I would skip breakfast at your house. Have you considered marketing the table design to Weight Watchers?

Great idea! Already lost my breakfast this AM! 😳.

The big problem was getting the snake out. Once I lifted the glass top the snake wiggled its way into one of the conch shells, so I took the table outside, poked around the shells, and the snake came out, went into the grass headed for greener pastures.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

All the talk about painting houses and now I'm thinking maybe we'll do that next summer.  I do still love the color we have (similar to Jack's @Heartgrove) so will try to have it matched as closely as possible.  We also have Hardie Plank, I didn't know it can pull away!

I would compare it to a combination of exposure to the elements, the workmanship, and time of day when it was applied. Some of the joints have "lifted" compared to the adjoining piece. More asthetic than being able to notice it closely. The painter cares as he wants it so that it looks 100% when he is finished.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

We have been to Lerwick three times, and in 2003, we had to miss it.  The Rotterdam was caught in a bad storm between Greenland and Canada for two days, so we had to cut one port.  Our first visit was in 2009 on the Tahitian Princess, and we took the tour to Scalloway Castle. 

In 2017, we were in Lerwick twice on the Prinsendam.  The first time we walked around town, which being there on a Sunday, meant most stores were closed.  The second time, we rented a car and drove around the island.

I'll post pictures of our walk around town in another post.  These are from our drive around the island.

DSC00315.thumb.JPG.856ba87d63316f7d0980447221236594.JPG

Sumbergh Head and the lighthouse

DSC00324.thumb.JPG.1eab1c31bdd0a8c69baf84e725fdfd8d.JPG

DSC00325.thumb.JPG.ec3a231beb5f3ff6f1f823f04a3683cb.JPG

Jarlshof, the site of the remains of a Viking village

DSC00331.thumb.JPG.6e001709038454e4ec7c2a2253eaa754.JPG

To get to the southern tip of the island and Sumbergh Head, you had to drive across the airport runway, so the road was closed when a plane was landing or taking off.

DSC00333.thumb.JPG.425391aa45600ca042b4ec127753f8f6.JPG

Scenery along the road heading back to Lerwick and the part of the island north of town.

DSC00338.thumb.JPG.ef9a61e1e027386052525a38f862f763.JPG

A couple of interior pictures of Scalloway Castle

DSC00346.thumb.JPG.4819e78322b93d568a5a0cb395bf1c16.JPG

DSC00350.thumb.JPG.441cab0eec148513b30e1132ef1e879c.JPG

DSC00354.thumb.JPG.ed4e34caef7d1e4ea7cf77d1f9d0f707.JPG

Scenes from the northern part of the island

DSC00364.thumb.JPG.268807c8f2eef56319a7a17e42532cf0.JPG

DSC00373.thumb.JPG.4a933e6414ce2b2a820ae8dd58bad231.JPG

DSC00374.thumb.JPG.5c8a9f0fb9a0f798384a93b5759b2458.JPG

Lenda

Nice photos Lenda.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

An update from overcast Western Colorado.  My recovery from the second surgery is going well, and I will get my stitches out later this afternoon.  @JazzyV, I can come off the Cares list as there are others with many more needs.  I still can't wear my glasses, and not sure how long it will be to return to normal in that aspect of life.  I appreciate all the prayers and good wishes.  

One thing I have learned through this ordeal is that as a living alone senior, I can't handle some aspects of life very well.  My step-kids have all been wonderful, but I don't want to be a burden on them.  So, in August I will be moving to a seniors apartment complex where I won't even have to cook, clean, or handle transportation (if necessary).  Of course, this entails a huge downsizing from 1600 sf duplex to less than 800 sf one bedroom apartment.  After 45-1/2 years of marriage, and 6+ years of widowhood, I have done upsizing and downsizing depending on various moves.  Now, this will be the big one.  I am happy with my decision, but wondering how I will get it all done.  I am lucky in that there is a senior relocation company that I can utilize.  The happy part is that I can travel any time I want (BHB here I come), and not have to worry about anything!

As things get easier with seeing, I will try to post more!  My continued prayers for those on the Cares list and I am so happy for those with joyous occasions (and cruises)!  Have a great day, everyone.

Mary Kay

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily.  I love seeing photos of nature - there are so many wonderful things out there if we just take the time to look.  Prunes are good for you, but we rarely have them in the house.  A smile costs nothing and can change someone's whole outlook..

I just had a great early morning conversation with our DS who is celebrating his birthday today.  It's always nice to talk with him, hearing what he's been up to, as he's finally in a job that he really enjoys.  In the early evening we'll face time with him and get a chance to visit with our DDIL and 2 grandsons as well.

It was hot yesterday and although we were under a severe thunderstorm warning for a good portion of the day, it didn't materialize here.  I noted online that areas to the east of us were subjected to pea sized hail and heavy rain, but we were fortunate with only some winds.  The storm certainly brought down the temperatures, as it's only supposed to get as high as 18C (65F) today, so we certainly won't be needing the A/C to keep us cool.

@Quartzsite Cruiserthanks for letting me steal your bacon meme; it's been picked up and spread far and wide by many of my friends who also thought it was so funny.

Nothing on the agenda today, so it's clean up and do some house maintenance and that's about it.  I'm going to pass on the drink (rye), would like to try the wine, but like the price of @kochleffel's suggestion better, and I know we'll enjoy the menu suggestion.  I'm going to make it next week and will be able to use some of our rosemary plant that's growing in the pergola.  Tonight though, we've still got leftovers to go through, so I think we'll be enjoying the last of our pulled pork on the deck for dinner.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

Happy birthday to your son Gerry.

bday-1099.gif

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

I contacted my friend about her brother for a report.  She says he has a very important doctor appointment today that is crucial to whether he gets to go forward with treatment or go into hospice care.  This is his last hope.  I'm hoping the news is positive but will have to wait and see.

Annie @marshhawk I hope Chuck's @catmando's doctor appointment went well.  I bet he was happy to hear about Chuck giving up smoking!

Terry @smitty34877 nice to hear your family has a good sense of humor.  It really helps to keep spirits lifted.

Gerry @ger_77 happy birthday wishes to your DS today!🎂

@St Pete Cruiser how sad to hear your friend passed away after/during his visit north.  Thank you for what you said about my port photos and your comments about port talks.  I agree, I miss them a lot!

Susan @durangoscots wow, it's really been cold there in the mornings!  Excellent news about Bandit being back to his usual self.

Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser thanks for your photos and memes today.  The texting feral cat cracked me up for some reason.😂

Melanie @puppycanducruise I enjoyed hearing your short review of your cruise.  Ringaskiddy for Cork must be a new port.  Yes, slow wine service is so annoying.  The old ways having wine sommeliers around was the best!🍷

Jack @Heartgrove I like the general color scheme of your home and will want to see a new photo once the paint job is finished.  I think the earth tones are my favorite too. The house is very pretty!  I hope you get somewhere with the insurance company on the roof.

Lorraine @cruising sister glad to hear you will continue on with living your life without caring what that busybody has to say about it.  Maybe she will wander off to annoy someone else tomorrow.  

Vanessa @JazzyV I hope the mowing wasn't too taxing on you today.  Sounds like an RA med shot is needed pronto!

Paul @kochleffel congratulations on your Panama Canal booking!

Laura @Horizon chaser 1957 I love all your nature photos today!  

And Brenda @bennybear as always, beautiful photos from you and DH too!

Bruce @aliaschief sounds like a great day for you, and thanks for your travel photos taken during your winery tours.

@RedneckBob I got it.  That was a tiny one. 🐍

Mary Kay @cruzn single I'm glad you are getting a little better, and can't imagine going without my glasses for more than even one day.  Good on you!  That is a big decision to make about moving to a place with more help if you need it and it can't have been easy to make.  But now that you have I bet you find a way to get resettled and will breathe a sigh of relief.  That senior relocation company is such a good idea!  When you're all moved I hope you have some cruises booked to look forward to.🚢

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3

Good morning and Happy Thursday from the Santa Catalina Mountains where it’s chilly—at least for us it’s chilly. 

My nature picture was taken from the back deck of a bluebird, not sure what kind.7F5ADBEA-27E0-4C98-96C4-AC5FE163E97E.thumb.jpeg.bd54469951cde294222027889dab1777.jpeg

Yesterday we had ribs that I had premade at home along with baked beans and potato salad. Sandwiches were for dinner. Today we are having pizza, I made the dough last week and froze it, it’s now on the counter getting warm and cozy.  I hope it comes out good on the grill because this is the first time I’ve done pizza here. 

I pre make about 90% of our meals when we come to the cabin because there is only a grill and a tiny microwave/convection oven that blows hot air and I have to sit on a stool to use it and use a flashlight to see the dials. 

Craig will be going down the mountain tomorrow to pick up DGD Summer for the weekend and she might stay with us for the week depending upon internet connection. She is in online Summer School. I’ve brought extra food for her and we hope she can stay. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 27

I haven’t been to today’s port of the day, but I would like to share a few wildlife photos in honor of National Nature Photography Day.  These were take in Zambia this past March when we took an overland excursion while on the Zuiderdam.

E0DF40C2-E9F6-4C3E-847D-6DA79B24480F.thumb.jpeg.5c3313fdfbc16dc8f5ccb6d315e6b746.jpeg

76A81CCE-7E9F-4CB1-B49D-C5742D1E8C82.thumb.jpeg.cff78462df8b98bfe731ef9b5b525a6d.jpeg

014329DA-FD6C-4F31-9D38-6C553EE89163.thumb.jpeg.2b22753fdc713442680f1753734ed853.jpeg

A369E949-2429-4BB8-BA9E-22860D97E478.thumb.jpeg.d41849abab6975ae63f3d029056b5dc8.jpeg

AB07753C-276C-411A-987B-55180E815598.thumb.jpeg.b10159a9dc646d085f153cdc4f5b7f10.jpeg

8383DD45-0DC9-4B25-89CA-704041268A13.thumb.jpeg.6f7418eb32a382b2f6787955264cb561.jpeg

DW and I had the amazing opportunity to pet four lions, who were a little over a year old.

F483DF78-807F-48EC-8F13-D4FA2C4C5235.thumb.jpeg.5b4a262d98a040ff94d0140ddebf89d7.jpeg

10ABDE0A-BBAD-49C4-A5FA-723B73CA226D.thumb.jpeg.3bb061ab21ef606f27b5af25267f0d3b.jpeg

• Like 27
  • Thanks 5

50 minutes ago, cruzn single said:

An update from overcast Western Colorado.  My recovery from the second surgery is going well, and I will get my stitches out later this afternoon.  @JazzyV, I can come off the Cares list as there are others with many more needs.  I still can't wear my glasses, and not sure how long it will be to return to normal in that aspect of life.  I appreciate all the prayers and good wishes.  

One thing I have learned through this ordeal is that as a living alone senior, I can't handle some aspects of life very well.  My step-kids have all been wonderful, but I don't want to be a burden on them.  So, in August I will be moving to a seniors apartment complex where I won't even have to cook, clean, or handle transportation (if necessary).  Of course, this entails a huge downsizing from 1600 sf duplex to less than 800 sf one bedroom apartment.  After 45-1/2 years of marriage, and 6+ years of widowhood, I have done upsizing and downsizing depending on various moves.  Now, this will be the big one.  I am happy with my decision, but wondering how I will get it all done.  I am lucky in that there is a senior relocation company that I can utilize.  The happy part is that I can travel any time I want (BHB here I come), and not have to worry about anything!

As things get easier with seeing, I will try to post more!  My continued prayers for those on the Cares list and I am so happy for those with joyous occasions (and cruises)!  Have a great day, everyone.

Mary Kay

Mary Kay, I have thought about doing the same thing but the 2 dogs are going to keep me in this condo longer. I have looked into a place in Grand Junction since Durango has little to offer. But the doggies......

Susan

• Like 20

Good afternoon.  This morning we went over the the regional hospital for DH's back x-ray before his follow-up visit next week.  We didn't want to wait until just before the appointment incase there was a problem.  We also made a quick stop at W-M.  BTW, they changed the name of the Pad Thai kit to Market Street, but it is the same thing, including wheat noodles.  It is in the area with the Asian food and condiments which in our store is between the noodles and the pasta. 🤷‍♀️

The weather hasn't improved and the air can be described as heavy while the sky and air of hazy.  We are under a heat advisory until 6 pm tomorrow and may get a severe thunderstorm this afternoon late.  Right now, it is 90F and feels like 106F.  Needless to say, I'll be staying inside this afternoon.  

4 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

Thank you Rich, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work. And thank you everyone for being here!

The house painter that we contracted with in February finally started yesterday on the repairs needed before painting. He had told us originally that we would on his schedule for early May. It was the usual excuse of rain delaying him - but we have been in a drought according to the Weatherman?.

It was an excellent builder that built the house (built in 2008) but there are a few spots where water has coused some damage. Currently the painter is addressing the few spots where the Hardie Plank pulled away slightly, and then caulking all of the joints. 

We are changing the color so that took quite a bit of back and forth yesterday. The base will be darker and then changing the trim to white. Currently the base is a pale green with the trim about two shades lighter. Should look different in about two weeks or so.

A6503595.thumb.JPG.e03e28886d8203bf05d5f2c8dc3a6aad.JPG

A6503594.thumb.JPG.03996ee0f2d7dfeb42eed66732657ecb.JPG

We are also still contesting a claim with the insurance company over hail damage that occurred on April 26, 2022. About 75% of the homes here in our sub-division have had new roofs including all of our directly adjacent neighbors. It seems the "Stag" prefers to deny claims. First it was nothing but a portion of a downspout, the claims agent left and our claim fell into a void, then two slopes less depreciation, now a readjustment by the "Back Group (?)." We are re-submitting the damage estimate by a roofer we will hire.

Stay Safe!

- Jack

Jack, I like the colors of your house now, but can't wait to see the new color scheme.  I hope you can get the insurance claim settled and get the roof replaced soon.

3 hours ago, cruising sister said:

Good morning all,

it is a red ozone day so no walk this morning. I have not been to the Shetland Islands but have had two Shetland sheep dogs if that counts. I love the quote and I think I am experiencing it now. I feel people are trying to define who I am when I don’t even know that now. Widowhood is a new and challenging journey. 

Thanks for all the kind words. I was ready to crawl back into my home and not see my friends. I hate conflict and tend to avoid it and blame myself even if I have not done anything. 

Prayers for all in need and have a great day!85027CBE-C004-44A6-AD69-3EE1DCCA3189.thumb.jpeg.ad2d8740e5f0fec50c5d1ed7389226a2.jpeg

Lorraine, as others have said, just ignore the rude woman and enjoy being with your friends.  Your Shetland sheep dog was very handsome, and I'm sorry he died so young.  And to be a good babysitter too.  

2 hours ago, kochleffel said:

I've booked a Panama Canal cruise for 2024! It's just Miami to Fuerte Amador--I wasn't excited enough about the ports on the Pacific coast of Mexico to pay more. Oddly, the ports of call were different, and less interesting to me, for the other direction. My only acquaintance with the Panama Canal is that I acted, a long time ago, in a production of Arsenic and Old Lace.

Congratulations on the Panama Canal cruise.

2 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Good morning, all! Yesterday was a travel day, and we’re back on the island now. A friend from here was flying back from visiting her grandbabies in Calgary. We picked her up at the airport on the mainland and brought her back home to Salt Spring. This was why we went over to the mainland in the first place. She’s the one who looked after our house while we were away. Her husband is recovering from having a detached retina treated, and couldn’t go over to pick her up. 
The tent caterpillars are definitely decreasing, which is a relief. The wildflowers are in full bloom, and it’s beautiful here right now! 
In honour of National Nature Photography Day, here are a few shots from our travels in Africa on this past trip, mainly in Kruger National Park:

9365D99D-187D-4CF8-8820-CEF7EBDCE8AE.thumb.jpeg.e9a2d98e9224a04444438bc44deb21d2.jpeg

It’s a little disconcerting when they look right at you!

06036C51-AB87-4F58-ACB6-AC846D07BA90.thumb.jpeg.d35a444adf6d891b55361067985d53ea.jpeg

… and is an open Jeep really a shelter?

6495CFAB-7C8A-4667-B2D8-EE6F039DCD57.thumb.jpeg.fdb5e08e08d9cc28642f411df4f4510c.jpeg

This leopard, however, did not find us interesting.

BF051995-A4B0-46AE-9FF3-1B157EEAAF6F.thumb.jpeg.a14fb305ef158bfef9da17853c5552e5.jpeg

Cape Buffalo just chillin’

9EF58D2B-CD38-496A-84F8-B4383C87985A.thumb.jpeg.501eeec782bbee1ad138422d0db6f021.jpeg

Enjoying the swim.

CF3B7EC5-F886-4F9F-93BE-5350219CACEC.thumb.jpeg.2473fe16d62d24a41a901d1dab51c276.jpeg

A group of giraffes standing is a tower. A group of giraffes passing by is a journey.

6110A735-9485-4E39-9BFE-C9C88431872C.thumb.jpeg.c893ccdc3f45fb84c0f4e3d6879b4dd9.jpeg

A young female elephant.

6B7737BE-4A9A-4FAD-BA5E-356A66835A46.thumb.jpeg.71fa6cdf6750b1e95f24d8a75bc7dfe9.jpeg

Mother, child, and baby. The baby clearly adored her older sister.

466F927D-C608-49C4-B653-59602A977419.thumb.jpeg.a4fc952f4ba7e01d328f3283e26ca124.jpeg

A family at Addy Elephant National Park. Notice the reddish colour. This is from dust and mud from the red earth.

22D89807-FC7B-4367-A6E6-F216ED2D9B6F.thumb.jpeg.d219a9cc03cb6379d8e8479a89577a4e.jpeg

A hyena wanting to pass by to his pack on the other side of the bridge. 

67138255-17AA-4103-AEF4-E7228F91AF7B.thumb.jpeg.44cd7d5d5b0125dcd1ea4a970cfbc6d5.jpeg

A hippo below our room on the Shelati Train on the Bridge in Sabi Sands

195DCD32-686D-4F0A-87A9-255FCB192DE5.thumb.jpeg.59ce1b33746457d951cc7a24f6d419c3.jpeg

Male Kudu.

FA277EC3-6AFC-4A17-B435-137820057BE0.thumb.jpeg.d0b195deb90fb8f6b085abfad182d3e3.jpeg

The End.

Happy Thursday, and cheers to our favorite BHB’s, wherever they may be!

4855049D-6332-4A8F-97EA-F07220C2F154.thumb.jpeg.af506a8b66f9e5ec1954f276b7aa1ba5.jpeg

Laura, I'm glad you could help your friend, and also that the tent caterpillars are moving one to bother someone else.  I loved looking at the wildlife pictures, especially the lions and the leopard.  

4 hours ago, durangoscots said:

Good morning. I am happy to report that Bandit seems recovered from the "whatever it was". Both dogs enjoyed an early morning walk - early thanks to the dawn chorus in the tree just outside my window. It was a brisk 37F, but it will warm up later although I see some clouds rolling in so maybe not as much as they forecast. Next week it is supposed to climb into the mid-80's for a high which is much more seasonable. We are getting light showers on and off this week which is good. I do need to do some more weeding on the Iris bed in front.

Salmon sounds good and Lerwick and the Shetlands is a favorite location for me. Although it can be mightily cold as I found out when I was there in October one year. Still have the sweater I acquired when I got off the ferry from Aberdeen. That damp cold goes right through you.

I have some boxes out to be packed for shipping to one of the scottie rescue groups with items for auction. I am trying to find someone driving to Denver area who will take some breakables up for me. I am very slowly making a dent in the stuff in the condo. And another bag of paperback books is ready to go the thrift store along with some clothes that no longer fit.  The process would go fast if I did not stop to reread some of the books. And I am researching some tours for the Grand Australia/New Zealand. Keeps me busy/

Best wishes to all.... take care.

Susan

Susan, I'm very happy Bandit has recovered.  I'm sure you'll know when the time is right for a move.

44 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Nice photos Lenda.

Thank you, Graham.

38 minutes ago, cruzn single said:

Mary Kay

Mary Kay, I think you made a very difficult but wise decision to move.  The new apartment sounds like a good fit, and it's nice there is a senior relocation company you can use.  We've moved a lot, so I understand about upsizing and downsizing.  In between deciding what to take and what to keep, take a few breaks and book some lovely BHB cruises.  I'm also glad your recovery is progressing well, and hope you can wear your glasses soon.

27 minutes ago, cruising sister said:

He was a beautiful boy. He died young from a mass in his heart. He was a great babysitter too. He was always herding DGS whenever he was over. 68C6CA52-DDD8-40E8-AD92-CEA01FEBCA6F.thumb.jpeg.23480304b179195cc9c374e95eebc2e3.jpeg

I love this picture.

33 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I contacted my friend about her brother for a report.  She says he has a very important doctor appointment today that is crucial to whether he gets to go forward with treatment or go into hospice care.  This is his last hope.  I'm hoping the news is positive but will have to wait and see.

Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser thanks for your photos and memes today.  The texting feral cat cracked me up for some reason.😂

Sandi, I hope your friend's brother gets good news today and can receive treatment.

For some strange reason, I thought of Annie @marshhawk when I saw that meme.  😉

7 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good morning and Happy Thursday from the Santa Catalina Mountains where it’s chilly—at least for us it’s chilly. 

My nature picture was taken from the back deck of a bluebird, not sure what kind.7F5ADBEA-27E0-4C98-96C4-AC5FE163E97E.thumb.jpeg.bd54469951cde294222027889dab1777.jpeg

Yesterday we had ribs that I had premade at home along with baked beans and potato salad. Sandwiches were for dinner. Today we are having pizza, I made the dough last week and froze it, it’s now on the counter getting warm and cozy.  I hope it comes out good on the grill because this is the first time I’ve done pizza here. 

I pre make about 90% of our meals when we come to the cabin because there is only a grill and a tiny microwave/convection oven that blows hot air and I have to sit on a stool to use it and use a flashlight to see the dials. 

Craig will be going down the mountain tomorrow to pick up DGD Summer for the weekend and she might stay with us for the week depending upon internet connection. She is in online Summer School. I’ve brought extra food for her and we hope she can stay. 

Have a great day everyone!

Sharon, I loved the picture.  Enjoy your cool weather and your DGD's visit.

8 minutes ago, Mtn2Sea said:

I haven’t been to today’s port of the day, but I would like to share a few wildlife photos in honor of National Nature Photography Day.  These were take in Zambia this past March when we took an overland excursion while on the Zuiderdam.

E0DF40C2-E9F6-4C3E-847D-6DA79B24480F.thumb.jpeg.5c3313fdfbc16dc8f5ccb6d315e6b746.jpeg

76A81CCE-7E9F-4CB1-B49D-C5742D1E8C82.thumb.jpeg.cff78462df8b98bfe731ef9b5b525a6d.jpeg

014329DA-FD6C-4F31-9D38-6C553EE89163.thumb.jpeg.2b22753fdc713442680f1753734ed853.jpeg

A369E949-2429-4BB8-BA9E-22860D97E478.thumb.jpeg.d41849abab6975ae63f3d029056b5dc8.jpeg

AB07753C-276C-411A-987B-55180E815598.thumb.jpeg.b10159a9dc646d085f153cdc4f5b7f10.jpeg

8383DD45-0DC9-4B25-89CA-704041268A13.thumb.jpeg.6f7418eb32a382b2f6787955264cb561.jpeg

DW and I had the amazing opportunity to pet four lions, who were a little over a year old.

F483DF78-807F-48EC-8F13-D4FA2C4C5235.thumb.jpeg.5b4a262d98a040ff94d0140ddebf89d7.jpeg

10ABDE0A-BBAD-49C4-A5FA-723B73CA226D.thumb.jpeg.3bb061ab21ef606f27b5af25267f0d3b.jpeg

Thank you for sharing the great wildlife photos.

Gerry, @ger_77  please wish your DS HAPPY BIRTHDAY for us.

Lenda

• Like 20
  • Thanks 4

56 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Melanie @puppycanducruise I enjoyed hearing your short review of your cruise.  Ringaskiddy for Cork must be a new port.  Yes, slow wine service is so annoying.  The old ways having wine sommeliers around was the best!🍷

Ringaskiddy seems to be the industrial area of the port, shuttles were provided to take us from the ship into the centre of town.  We enjoyed our visit to Cork.

I miss the wine stewards,  the waiters were doing the best that they could and we appreciate them.

• Like 15

I am going to add some of my wildlife pictures we've taken over the years.  The first group is from various trips in Alaska, and the second group is from the other end of the world.  They were taken when we did a half day mini safari outside of Durban in 2000.

A humpback whale and an orca on a whale watching trip out of Juneau.

DSC03799.thumb.JPG.495f0d1dee30851337b2fd9fdb66ec16.JPG

DSC03826.thumb.JPG.c754612c9460568b652b62f3fab45a80.JPG

Another humpback and sea otters in Icy Strait.P1040461.thumb.JPG.b578a558fb833a7f55605f11998947a5.JPG

otteers.thumb.jpg.626d2ba746898cbfc80cd94c9f6d3fd7.jpg

Sitka with an eagle on shore, sea lions just hanging out and eagles on the church steeple, which are considered good luck.

P1000669.thumb.JPG.1ba70d723506030e47df1929dbd55175.JPG

DSC03838.thumb.JPG.0ca7583e86b03c543c9c88750041ff6d.JPG

P1040820.thumb.JPG.088a70e0392c2d3013be8a7ee562b9bf.JPG

A Kodiak bear near a stream out side of town past the Coast Guard base.

P1010342.thumb.JPG.e35f91a1a218f79ccddccafd9c3ecf05.JPG

Now, we head to South Africa and a small game preserve outside of Durban.  Unfortunately, they did not have any big cats or elephants.

P3190609.thumb.JPG.125fa5adee444286e2e3c661322e2b7e.JPG

P3190613.thumb.JPG.994381e404657b551ba056126dc6ac76.JPG

P3190614.thumb.JPG.7df1a9bf58345564f50ef5f08302cfc1.JPG

P3190616.thumb.JPG.190b182110a3c2c2a1fe784fd365dd4a.JPGP3190622.thumb.JPG.eeddf044e370eab70b15258b28933400.JPG

P3190624.thumb.JPG.5f83b4b6541ef3304802e3c56ddb8c5d.JPG

Lenda

• Like 19
  • Thanks 7

Just now, rafinmd said:

@Mtn2Sea was that wildlife park near Victoria Falls?

Roy

Yes, it was very close.  The park was the Mosi-oa-Tonya National Park.  Our excursion included some time one morning at the Falls - another memorable moment!

• Like 16

A big thank you to everyone who posted pictures today. Between the nature photos and the port pictures it has been so nice to look at.

I always enjoy the pictures and commentary here but was especially charmed today. This is a very talented group.

• Like 25

1 hour ago, Mtn2Sea said:

Yes, it was very close.  The park was the Mosi-oa-Tonya National Park.  Our excursion included some time one morning at the Falls - another memorable moment!

Close but not quite.  I was in a place near there way back in 2005 but the camp was on an Island in the middle of the Zambizi about 15 miles upstream from the falls.

Roy

• Like 15

Hi friends! I always try to be myself, and I'm smiling powerfully today because I just snagged an upgrade from inside cabin to verandah on the VoV next month! On which we will visit Lerwick! Prayers raised and cheering where appropriate!

• Like 29

26 minutes ago, NextOne said:

Hi friends! I always try to be myself, and I'm smiling powerfully today because I just snagged an upgrade from inside cabin to verandah on the VoV next month! On which we will visit Lerwick! Prayers raised and cheering where appropriate!

Edi, congratulations on the upgrade on the VoV.  

Lenda

• Like 14

Good evening from Maryland. Wore myself out kayaking yesterday but saw a bald eagle and other wildlife!  And today was full again, still straightening out accounts, which will go on for months but we’re making it all happen!  

@Cruzin Terri Had to send best wishes for a smooth final packing and travels. Have a grand time!  

@kochleffel Congratulations on your Panama booking!  

@cruzn single It’s been a tough recovery but you are using the time well to evaluate your options. We had to also after DH’s cancer treatment. It was hard to move but the right choice!  We came to a place closer to family, more fun and much much less maintenance. And we will likely move again in a year or two to be much closer to the grandkids who will eventually watch over us in the future. We’ve used our current location as a learning experience and a stepping stone. There is nothing I got rid of that I miss!  I passed things along to folks who could use them, and hard as the sorting and finding paths forward were, it felt good. And we will be doing it again.  Happy for you that you are healing, you have help, and you have direction!  

@cruising sister Change isn’t straightforward and nobody else has the answers that are best for you. It’s your path, your life, and you are in charge of doing it in your time. We’re here for you!  Give yourself a loving hug!  

I enjoyed learning about Lerwick. Thanks to all the contributors and for the beauty shared too.  

Thanks @grapau27 for the Magna Carta lesson. There is an original copy we saw on exhibit here in the Smithsonian Archive, one of 4 originals so I shouldn’t call it a copy. Very impressive!  A turning point of our development. 

Prayers lifted for all those in need and celebrating.  Life is good!  Whether I get to post or not, the blessings go out.  

m—

Edited by RMLincoln
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1