The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday June 21st, 2023

richwmn

Today is Finally Summer Day / Summer Solstice, Go Skateboarding Day, and International Yoga Day

Just when you think it can't get any worse, it can. And just when you think it can't get any better, it can.--Nicholas Sparks, At First Sight

Meal Suggestion for today - Easy Vegan Stuffed Bell Peppers
Drink of the Day - Spiced Christmas Punch
Wine of the Day - Trinity Hill Syrah Hawkes Bay Homage 2019
Destination of the Day - Ibiza, Ibiza Island, Balearic Spain

Today in History:
1788 US Constitution comes into effect when New Hampshire is the 9th state to ratify it

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Sitka, Baranof Island, Alaska 08:00 - 17:00

Koningsdam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 07:00 - 16:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

Juneau, Alaska 10:00 - 22:00

Nieuw Statendam

Alesund, Norway 07:00 - 16:00

Noordam

Skagway, Alaska 07:00 - 21:00

Oosterdam

Kefalonia Island, Argostoli-Fiskardo, Greece 10:00 - 18:00

Rotterdam

Geiranger, Norway 07:00 - 17:00

Volendam

Vancouver, BC Canada 07:00 - 16:00

Westerdam

Hubbard Glacier, Alaska 14:00 - 18:00

Zaandam

Sydney NS, Nova Scotia Canada 08:00 - 17:00

Zuiderdam

At Sea destination Seydisfjordur, Iceland eta 22 Jun

0621Alaska.thumb.png.21635f5390f21a0d2ba981f4b312c289.png

0621Atlantic.thumb.png.e357c9f5ce4dffa2692b618c07316d46.png

• Like 20
  • Thanks 17

Today’s Care list:

Smitty34877’s DH needing further surgery and chemotherapy

Summer slope with a health issue

Srdancer with C. Diff infection

Marshhawk not feeling well

Victims of bus crash in Manitoba

Two PA State Troopers shot - 1 deceased, 1 in serious condition

Crew and passengers in the submersible 

Canadian wildfires, tornado victims, Ventana Fire 

Shooting victims again

Citizens of Ukraine, dam explosion with flooding

From the rotation:

JazzyV’s friend with ovarian cancer, not doing well

Tana’s pulmonary issues

Roy recovering from pneumonia and slowly getting stronger

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Bon Voyage Cruzin Terri and Jim!

Ger_77 booking a new cruise

Good luck to StLouisCruiser’s Ren and team Thursday

Sharon in AZ at Mt Lemmon for a week

Luvteaching’s DH showing continued improvement

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Many Dailyites cruising or with upcoming cruises

Cruising/At Sea:

aliaschief (Azamara Journey to June 28), Cruzin Terri (Oceania Marina to July 23)

• Like 22
  • Thanks 13

Good morning.  Welcome Summer!

Thanks for the Report.

We've got a nice day in the forecast - sunny and a high of 28°C (82°F).

I won't go skateboarding today, but I should do some yoga.  It's National Indigenous People's Day in Canada and we celebrate!

I like the quote.

The meal sounds good, looking forward to seeing the recipes.

I hope the drink and wine are tasty too.

I haven't been to today's  port.

Prayers for many.  I hope there are lots of celebrations.

Happy Hump Day.

• Like 27

Good morning friends. We are just arriving in Brest, France and we are enjoying the Officers Served Pool Deck BBQ along enjoying the band doing Oldies and lots of Drifters. Great food and party atmosphere.

We have a walking tour excursion in and hour.

It was a pretty sail in. More pics later. 

Thanks for the reports. Bruce

image.thumb.jpeg.6b700e7d724699ac1fe9c1e1904d08ff.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.0ee93afc0d67d7cd125a2700590f3620.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 29
  • Thanks 6

4 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Good grief when they provide a crane to put the ramp in place; they don’t fool around.

image.jpeg

As you leave Brest see if you can get a peek at MS Renaissance, formerly MS Maasdam, being readied for her new role.

Roy

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Good morning friends!  Well, I wish I had Melanie's @puppycanducruise's weather today!  Another day of rain, heavy at times and a high of 72.  It's about 67 right now so not much higher.  At least I didn't get wet yesterday while out.  But it poured often.⛈️

Thanks Rich @richwmn for today's Daily and Fleet Report.  Nice to see "summer" is here but cynically I could say the days are getting shorter now after today.  😉  I'd be foolish to try to skateboard at my age but yoga would probably be good for me.  A good quote by Nicholas Sparks.  The day in history is one I really appreciate since our Constitution is our most important document. 

As for the vegan stuffed bell peppers, I guess I could go without meat for once.  We're just practicing 6 months early if we prepare some spiced Christmas punch.  The Syrah is another New Zealand wine that I'm sure some of you will enjoy.  I'll be happy to see Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard file their reports this morning.  

So many people to pray for both here and worldwide.  I'm very anxious about the people in the submersible as time is running out.  Prayers for our friends here, my DB and friend's DB Mark.  🙏  Special thoughts go out to Jacqui @kazu and Ivan as well as Terry @smitty34877, her DH, Tana, and the remainder of that brave family.   Also wishing mightily for a great result tomorrow for Ren and the Jags!🤞 🏆  Congrats to everyone on the Celebration list and our cruisers especially Bruce and Sue @aliaschief, and Terri @Cruzin Terri and DH.🥂🚢  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for your keeping of the lists!

Port of the day is another new one, Ibiza, Balearic Spain.  Two new ports in a row!  This would be a great holiday spot for anyone interested.  I haven't been there yet so can't share any photos, but hopefully someone will have some experience there and enlighten us.  Thanks in advance for any photos offered.

Have a safe and happy Wednesday!❤️

• Like 30
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, everyone. Thank you for the Daily and Fleet report. 

Happy summer!

It's a little cloudy today which keeps the heat away. I am not a huge fan of summer. I just don't like the heat and the bugs. 

I think I would enjoy the vegan stuffed green peppers and who doesn't like a good Christmas punch. 

Working from home today editing two episodes of my podcast and working on the book I am writing. I also have two virtual clients this evening. 

Thinking of your all. 

Have a safe and healthy day.

• Like 27

Thanks for our Hump Day Daily, Rich.

@puppycanducruise thanks for the mention of Indigenous day here 👍   I will gladly celebrate the first day of summer and I really should do some yoga some day 😉 

That quote is very true.  The meal sounds intriguing.  Interesting that the drink of the day is a Christmas punch - nearly 6 full months away from Christmas.  We haven’t been to Ibiza Island but have been to Balearic, Spain.  It’s wonderful!

Debbie @dfish  I love the new colours on your house 👍 

Katie @cruising Katie how disappointing the rescue organization was not upfront with you about Blossom 😡 It can really put a bad taste in your mouth on rescuing (been there) Heart murmurs often cause no issues for many years so I hope that is the case for you 🙏🏻   

Terri @Cruzin Terri Bon Voyage !!!!!

IMG_3412.jpeg.117837d6d1f578a327ba18c0366a61b3.jpeg

Ivan seems more like his old self except I ended up cooking chicken & rice broth last night.  Those of you who have had dogs know what the means 😔 I’m not sure if it was the stress from Monday (he was at the vet for a very long time) or one of the meds he’s on.  His anti nausea med can cause D often and since he’s eating fine, he didn’t get it last night in the hopes that helps.  But bless him, he didn’t get me up in the middle of the night -surprise! -  just very early this morning.

Looks like our first day of summer is going to be a very nice one.  Do I dare hope that ‘submarine’ (for lack of a better word) is found in time?  They are hearing sounds and a Canadian Air Force spotted a white rectangular object for a short moment.  They only have about 24 hours of air left.  Prayers for them and all those searching for them 🙏🏻 

And, prayers for those on the Care list & those that need them and cheers 🥂 to those Celebrating.  Have a great Wednesday everyone !!!!

IMG_1689.thumb.jpeg.86813c451eaa4ff3028b3b9c4de4b889.jpeg

IMG_1707.thumb.jpeg.c290c7c98590b5c89bfcb0f2f8f19cc9.jpeg

IMG_1706.thumb.jpeg.ca6b36e8a3fb0e5f491df8be168aa4f4.jpeg

IMG_1705.thumb.jpeg.e3510c0ce3e04726eba73cc2aa4a5965.jpeg

• Like 32
  • Thanks 6

Good morning.  An interesting group of days, pass on skateboarding and yoga.   Having RA for the last 31 years the range of exercise is rather limited for me.   Seems like the more summer solstices that I experience the less I like them as the days begin to get shorter.   I will pass on all the comestibles again.  I really look forward to photos of Ibiza.  

Prayers for everyone on our Care list and the people of Ukraine.   Praying that they can locate that submersible in time.  

We had a nice visit into town.  Our road work began yesterday but a line for the bulldozer lift apparatus broke so repairs are happening.  Maybe today it will resume.  Thankfully the guy that backs our boat in is the road guys nephew so I get better updates.  We had taco Tuesday yesterday at our neighborhood tavern and it was a nice break from cooking.  

@Cruzin Terri  Bon Voyage!  🍾🛳️

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

As you leave Brest see if you can get a peek at MS Renaissance, formerly MS Maasdam, being readied for her new role.

Roy

Saw it sailing in. Lot’s of memories on Her. Will try and get a pic later. On tour bus.

From the bus.

image.jpeg

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 6

Good afternoon.

It is Summer and 25°C 77°F here.

I have been to see some of my customers this morning so late posting.

Thank you for today's daily reports.

Interesting days and quote.

We have been to Ibiza a couple of times staying in hotels but not on a ship.

It is a beautiful island.

Prayers 🙏 for everyone they can help.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day.

• Like 23

Rich, thank you for getting us started. We are definitely in a rainy period, I don’t dare head out with Bindi without my rain jacket. And I keep her drying towel just inside the door. She may not like getting wet, but she loves getting towel dried. 😎

Vanessa, thank you for sharing our happenings. I have a manicure this morning, then Bindi walks, chores, yard work - weather permitting, and a visit to a favorite wine bar with friends. 

IMG_1422.jpeg.953e3ec957435ae9f01fceada17ca1af.jpeg

IMG_1421.jpeg.299f6e234e646a19cf0c9c467cb19b0f.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. @smitty34877 Terry, keeping Lou and all of you in my prayers. Cheers to all who are celebrating. Get well & stay well everyone!

Trinity Hill Syrah Hawkes Bay Homage 2019

Well you not be able to find this wine, but you will know a heck of a lot about it - if you do. I found one New Zealand distributor who will ship to me with a price of $93.45 + shipping.

If still in stock, you might find earlier vintages easier to find. And just as highly valued. 
The best Syrah I ever enjoyed was from Latta wines in Washington state. It had 3% Viognier grapes which added an amazing smoothness to this bold varietal. 

Distributor notes

Grape Varietals: 99% Syrah & 1% Viognier

Growing Region: Hawke’s Bay - New Zealand

Chief Winemaker: Warren Gibson
The growing season in Hawke’s Bay during 2019 was another stunner, with one of the hottest summers on record. Plus, their vineyards had very little rainfall in January and February that continued through into harvest time from late March into the middle of April, which was ideal for the fruit to reach full physiological ripeness. And at harvest time fruit quality of the highest order.
The Syrah grapes selected for this wine were hand-harvested from several individual sites, blocks, and even specific clones. On arrival to the winery the different fruit parcels were fermented separately. Each parcel was either hand- plunged twice or pumped over once daily during fermentation to optimise colour, flavour, and tannin extraction. The parcels from their Gimblett Stones and Roy’s Hill vineyards were 100% whole bunch fermented. The latter was also co- fermented with Viognier skins. The remaining batches were fermented with a high proportion of whole berries. These winemaking techniques were to increase aromatic, structural, and textural complexity.
The wine was then matured in traditional oak barrels and large oak vats to help mould the qualities of each parcel. 60% was matured in 228-litre French oak barriques for 18 - 21 months, of which 34% was new oak. The remaining 40% was matured in seasoned 5400-litre French oak ovals for 14 months. The final wine was blended in January and bottled in February 2021 with no fining and minimal filtration. The 2019 ‘Homage’ has a refined, sophistication to its confidence, that has become a hallmark of this tribute to Hawke’s Bay Syrah.
An inviting bouquet, revealing forest berries, dark plums, liquorice, five-spice, dried herbs, and subtle ember notes. The palate has a broad impact, showcasing a controlled intensity and concentration of dark berries and cacao flavours, supported by fine-grained tannins providing structure and direction for this generous wine with a silky texture. This Syrah has retained natural fruit acidity, that balances the supportive oak nature that is still forward due to its youth. While ensuring the wine remains vibrant, focused, and giving definition to the detailed complexity evident in this wine, and reinforced by its exceptional length and seamless finish. Treat yourself - this wine is definitely worth sharing.
This 2019 Trinity Hill 'Homage' Syrah has 13% Alc./vol. Classic dry style. If opened in the next 12 - 18 months decant for 45 - 50 minutes and serve in a generously shaped red wine glass at 16°- 18°C.
Cellaring Potential: *(Posted 2/06/2023)
With good decanting, it is approachable now; though will appreciate another 2 - 3 years and will repay and age nicely for another 8 - 10 years.
Food Pairing Suggestions:
Perfect wine pairing with tender lamb shanks with a red wine jus, slow cooked prime meats, well-seasoned pasta dishes and earthy vegetarian cuisine, plus aged hard cheeses - enjoy.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 8
  • Haha 3

Thank you Rich, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work. And thank you everyone for being here! 

Thinking today of my older sister on what would have been her 77th birthday. I still have trouble, after losing my older brother and sister last year, that I am now the oldest sibling. A photo of her and her family from years ago.

KelleyandFamily.thumb.jpg.382806a86f06eebb718e3f5ec2846278.jpg

Stay Safe!

- Jack

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 9

Spiced Christmas Punch cocktail:

Ingredients
12 parts Basil Hayden's® Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
6 parts Vermouth, Sweet
6 parts Black Tea
12 parts fresh Apple Juice or Apple Cider
8 parts fresh Lemon Juice
4 parts Demerara Simple Syrup
1/2 part Angostura® Bitters
24 parts Club Soda
6 Ice Blocks
6 Cinnamon Stick
17 Apple Slices
Garnish with freshly grated Cinnamon and Nutmeg

Instructions
Make Ice Blocks: In advance, prepare ice blocks by filling 6, 4-ounce square plastic containers with water, two apple slices and one cinnamon stick each, and place in the freezer.
Make Punch: Add Basil Hayden’s® Bourbon, sweet vermouth, black tea, apple juice, lemon juice, Demerara syrup and Angostura® Bitters in punch bowl and stir. Top with club soda. Carefully place the 6 pre-made ice blocks into the punch bowl and garnish with remaining apple slices and freshly-grated cinnamon and nutmeg.
Serves 6.

Screenshot 2023-06-21 at 8.03.28 AM.png

• Like 17
  • Thanks 13

Good morning from central Texas.  I'm beginning to sound like a broken record as our weather is about the same -- cloudy, humid, windy and warmer than it should be this time of year.  It is 79F but feels like 89F with a 7 mph wind.  At least, the condensation on the window this morning was not bad, and I can see out.  It is 96% humidity with a dew point of 78F, and our predicted high will be 98F.  In fact, the highs are not supposed be be triple digits until Saturday, and then they will range from 101 to 106.  

Today might be the official start to summer, but it's been summer here for a while.  I'll pass on skateboarding as I want to remain in one piece with nothing broken.  I probably should do yoga, but I doubt I could get in some of the positions, and if I did, someone might have to pry me out of the positions. 

An interesting quote today, but I'm not sure t is always true.

We'll pass on the meal (like meat in my stuffed peppers), drink and wine.  I'm not a fan of Syrah.

We have not been to Ibiza, but we did enjoy Majorca and Minorca.

Today is an important day in history.

Jacqui, @kazu I hope Ivan continues to improve with no more problems.  I'm glad he is eating well.  Loved the pictures of your flowers. 

Nancy, @ottahand7 I hope your road gets finished soon.

Bruce, @aliaschief thanks for the picture of the former Maasdam.  It's good to see former BHBs getting a new lease on life, but I wish they were still BHBs.

Jack, @Heartgrove  thanks for the picture of your sister's family, which is a good looking bunch.  I hope today isn't too difficult for you.

Now, I'm going to see if I can get a walk in before it warms up more.  Then, I have a much needed haircut appointment at 9:30.  DH has his eight month post-op follow appointment early this afternoon.  Fortunately, we don't have to drive to Austin since the surgeon comes to our regional hospital office building one or two afternoons a month.  After that, it will be staying inside and keeping cool.

343925603_684443377025342_5770288958670278848_n.jpg.bd2f828c1eb06fa96169025bc1b2640e.jpg

345315658_788223179331780_1155353002346851001_n.thumb.jpg.192cefbb30bc2e5299e78ab2efcd0ab3.jpg

345661880_556888963227534_8028203102004657631_n.jpg.2bce96b235dd40c40434b9d173ad009b.jpg

346092366_210757275055359_7548880500825658760_n.thumb.jpg.353e8edef5c82abb6b750ef5ccad3c2e.jpg

346617237_1039644380340704_4006297876849183594_n.jpg.ff0d92af0a5d3e7d4ef5e525b98dcd05.jpg

Lenda

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 20

Good morning, everyone!

It is another beautiful start to the day here in mid-Michigan.  We are currently at 68F with an expected high of 85F.  

I'm looking at windows that desperately need to be cleaned.  I did them a while ago and they just got dirty again!   Hmmm.  

@kazu Jacqui, thank you for your comments about the house.  We love the new color combination.  The house is so much more interesting than the original boring beige.  Apparently, the neighbors like it as well.  We've heard there's been some discussion.   I'm glad Ivan is perking up.  I remember making boiled chicken and rice for my sister's dog when I was babysitting once.  That and ice cubes perked Petey right up.  He had gotten dehydrated.  

I tried to get into Cruise Critic using Chrome and just got 404 error messages.  So, I switched to Edge and hope nothing goes wrong here.  I have all my recipes stored in the reading panel on Chrome so I have to go back and forth here to get them.  Hopefully, it will all get sorted out.   

As @Quartzsite Cruiser Lenda said, I prefer my peppers stuffed with meat.  The meat is usually replaced by a starch and that I can't tolerate.  But, for those who can, here is our first recipe and it looks tasty!   https://www.aheadofthyme.com/easy-vegan-stuffed-bell-peppers/

veganstuffedpeppers1.thumb.jpg.00e66cec2e8ee385b19bf2ae4cb0a203.jpg

This next one also looks good and sounds  yummy with the seasoning.  It is higher in carbs for those who are watching.  https://simpleveganblog.com/vegan-stuffed-peppers/

veganstuffedpeppers2.thumb.jpg.1cfa5826b54a240f0b43e6c012db8d36.jpg

Next we have an Italian style vegan stuffed pepper.  https://simple-veganista.com/vegan-stuffed-peppers/

veganstuffedpeppers3.thumb.jpg.8d0388c89992dda75dd83ecad5833e00.jpg

Lastly, we have stuffed peppers with a southwestern flair.   https://plantbasedonabudget.com/southwest-stuffed-bell-peppers/

veganstuffedpeppers4.thumb.jpg.ad867dadbeffc859f3e1b6e0cda76d6c.jpg

I hope this gives you some inspiration and ideas for your own stuffed peppers.  

Wishing  you all a wonderful day!

• Like 20
  • Thanks 11

Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Dixie, and Ann.   It's summer solstice but not very summary as we could use a LITTLE bit of the heat others are dealing with but we should be getting some much needed rain.  I'll pass on the Skateboarding and Yoga.  I tend to like the quote.  Today is also the 75th anniversary of the first LP record.  I have not been to Izaba and do not see any BHB headed there this year.  Ironically, it is on the maiden voyage of the resurrected Crystal Serenity. 

I'll pass on the meal.My alternative is Fruit Salad with Yogurt and Honey, and Crispy Country-Style Buttermiilk Chicken, my embarkation luncheon from my 2015 Prinsendam European cruise.

Roy

• Like 27