Laptop in stateroom...?

10 hours ago, Ashland said:

Our cabin door was left kinda open...not pulled completely closed. We went to put our SeaPass in the door and realized it wasn't pulled close. We brought this to the attention of our cabin steward. It was escalated up...the hallway cameras were checked and they knew who had been in there last. RCI gave us a very generous FCC for the security issue this could have caused.

We were on Mariner last summer in a cabin with a cabin door that was warped and looked like they had to force entry to the cabin on a previous cruise. Because of this we had to make sure we firmly closed the door when we left the cabin because it would not close and lock completely otherwise. We had to stuff towels in the door at night to keep it from whistling.

IMG_0271.jpeg

Edited by orville99

My gaming laptop is setup on the desk day 1 and resides there until the morning of departure. It also serves as a charging station for other electronics as needed. I don't have any saved passwords on it, or use it for work, so security if stolen is not an issue. Tablet is just an Amazon Fire 10 HD modded for playstore apps, under $100 when bought. I lock up cash, wallet, passports in safe, but really don't worry about my electronics being stolen from the cabin.

We've been transitioning from "batten down the hatches!!!" and securing everything like our lives depended on it, to leaving electronics out. My newest tablet doesn't fit in safes (except CLS safes), so it just goes in a drawer now. Wifey left her laptop out all week. I still lock up the work laptop in my luggage, but mainly to make it more of a pain in the you-know to get it out and work 🙂

My Surface Pro is updated daily with my personal data, and I don't want to recreate that when I get home depending on when I last backed it up.  So, it gets put away when I leave the cabin.

And, no, I'm not into cloud back-ups, either.

9 hours ago, orville99 said:

We were on Mariner last summer in a cabin with a cabin door that was warped and looked like they had to force entry to the cabin on a previous cruise. Because of this we had to make sure we firmly closed the door when we left the cabin because it would not close and lock completely otherwise. We had to stuff towels in the door at night to keep it from whistling.

IMG_0271.jpeg

Those Towel Animals are nice. Aren't they the Famous Piccolo Pete?

9 hours ago, orville99 said:

IMG_0271.jpeg

Sorry this happened to you. You would have thought that the door would have been replaced or repaired before it was occupied again.

We always pull our door completely closed every time as we leave. Our situation was apparently a staff member's fault and because of the hallway camera RCI knew who hadn't pulled it completely closed. Their response to us with an FCC was very nice as we certainly didn't expect anything and actually didn't make a big deal out of it but our steward certainly escalated it. I believe (in the end) it was a plumber that came in to repair the problem we had with the walk in shower in our OS.

On 6/26/2023 at 3:16 PM, tommybahamaX said:

Is it safe to leave your laptop out?  I have a 16" Macbook that wont fit in the safe, typically in hotels i just leave it out but not sure about a cruise.

I have always left mine out and sitting on the desk along with an iPad and sometime a go pro.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

But can your laptop wear shorts while you're not in the room?

My laptop top always wears a dark suit on formal nights.  My iPad is less formal. He just wears a fishing shirt and cargo pants.

• Haha 1

On 6/26/2023 at 5:16 PM, tommybahamaX said:

Is it safe to leave your laptop out?  I have a 16" Macbook that wont fit in the safe, typically in hotels i just leave it out but not sure about a cruise.

I think it will be fine.  But if it makes you feel better, lock it up in a suitcase and stow it under the bed.

Teddie

My DH leaves his laptop and sometimes tablet out and charging at all times and we have never had a problem. It still worries me sometimes. I do recall a thread here on CC some time ago where someone claimed a small laptop or tablet (I forget which) was stolen from their room, they believe while the door was propped open for cleaning the cabin. It's a calculated risk, perhaps? 

I charge my surface pro when we are out at the ports.  I also leave a bowl of m and m's plus batteries as a distraction.

• Haha 1

There is no issue with leaving your laptop out. Safer on a ship than in a hotel. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

There is no issue with leaving your laptop out. Safer on a ship than in a hotel. 

Agreed. According to an article that I read a while ago, hotel security experts say that there are three broad categories they consider: employees, guests and people walking in off the street. The latter are responsible for the vast majority of thefts according to the article. Obviously, cruise lines don't have to worry about this major source of thefts.

This thread reminds of the "should I take my passport with me off the ship" discussions.  

Everyone's got an opinion, and they are absolutely right; until their not.  

I like my "sense of security" to be as real as I can get it, rather than a "false one".  Each person has to decide their own comfort zone.  

(And, regarding the idiotic posts....................thanks for reinforcing my need for my ignore list. Every so often I take a look at a post, but it's always, "Yep, they are still reinforcing my decision".)  

• Haha 1