The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday June 28th, 2023

richwmn

Today is Insurance Awareness Day, International Body Piercing Day, and National Columnists Day

Give me the luxuries of life and I will willingly do without the necessities. - Frank Lloyd Wright

Meal Suggestion for today - Korean Chicken Skewers
Drink of the Day - Cruzan Cider Punch
Wine of the Day - Stonecroft Chardonnay Hawkes Bay Gimblett Gravels Old Vine 2021
Destination of the Day - Cozumel, Quintana Roo Mexico, Riviera Maya

Today in History:
1919 Treaty of Versailles, ending WWI and establishing the League of Nations, is signed in France

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Sitka, Baranof Island, Alaska 08:00 - 17:00

Koningsdam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 07:00 - 16:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

Skagway, Alaska 07:00 - 21:00

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea Destination Inverness, Scotland eta 6-29

Noordam

Juneau, Alaska 10:00 - 22:00

Oosterdam

Rhodes Island, Greece 08:00 - 18:00

Rotterdam

Eidfjord, Norway 08:00 - 15:00

Volendam

Vancouver, BC Canada 07:00 - 16:00

Westerdam

Hubbard Glacier, Alaska 14:00 - 18:00

Zaandam

Prince Edward Island, Charlottetown, Canada 08:00 - 18:00

Zuiderdam

Kirkwall, Scotland 0800-1700

0628World.thumb.png.e4fd6b9458e7b536c858c517bd844dd6.png

• Like 22
  • Thanks 19

Good morning from a drizzly 68°F North East England.

Thank you Rich @richwmn for supplying today's daily fleet reports and Daily items to comment on.

Insurance is important for many things.

I will never understand why people have body piercing or even tattoos.

Today's food sounds good.

We went to Cozumel on February 1st 2023 on our Oasis of the seas cruise January/February 2023.

kind thoughts to all my friends on here.

Take care and stay safe.

IMG_20230201_093609.jpg

IMG_20230201_105352.jpg

IMG_20230201_104842.jpg

IMG_20230201_103016.jpg

IMG_20230201_105124.jpg

• Like 29
  • Thanks 4

Today’s Care list:

The passing of Luvteaching’s DH Phil on 6/27

Smitty34877’s DH recovering from surgery

Vict0riann’s Pat with urinary and kidney infections

Vict0riann’s chronic headache

Marshhawk’s DH Chuck (catmando) with a cancer recurrence

StLouisCruiser’s DB with a fall

Seasick Sailor’s DH with medical issues

Summer slope with a health issue

Srdancer with C. Diff infection

Loss of crew and passengers in the Titan submersible 

Canadian wildfires, tornado victims 

Shooting victims again

Citizens of Ukraine, dam explosion with flooding

From the rotation:

Tana’s pulmonary issues 

StLouisCruiser’s friend’s DB Mark with bile duct cancer

RMLincoln’s DH with glaucoma and medication sensitivity

Marshhawk with elbow inflammation

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Lindaler feeling better

Tupper10 back surgery a success

Kochleffel’s new fur babies

Dfish enjoying having River with her for a week

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Many Dailyites cruising or with upcoming cruises

Cruising/At Sea:

1 day for Oceansaway17 (Liberty of the Seas June 29 to July 8)

7 days for Loveandpeas (Volendam July 5 to July 12), celebrating 16th honeymoon anniversary

aliaschief (Azamara Journey to June 28), Cruzin Terri (Oceania Marina to July 23)

• Like 22
  • Thanks 15

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

Happy Hump Day.

It's a smoky day here, very poor air quality.  I guess I won't be doing too much outside.  I have noticed people wearing masks again, but I'm not sure surgical masks keep out smoke.

Insurance is important.  No piercings here.  I enjoy reading some columnists.

Interesting quote but I don't agree with it.

The meal sounds good, looking forward to seeing the recipe.

I hope the drink and wine are tasty.

I haven't been to today's port.

Prayers for everyone.

Have a good day.

• Like 30
  • Thanks 2

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily report.  I can hear the raindrops on the skylight, makes me want to roll over and go back to sleep 💤.  Interesting collection of days we have.  I differ from Mr. Wright as I’m happy with the necessities, well maybe a cruise now and then.  The meal sounds very tasty but I’ll pass on the drink.  I have not been to today’s port.  Condolences to @luvteaching on the loss of her husband, your daily friends stand in support at this difficult time.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list.  Cheers to all of you who are celebrating happy events today!

• Like 31

Good Wednesday Morning and thank you for the F & D.

I have recently become aware of the importance of insurance while cruising because of the experiences of some of my friends.   I am embarrassed to admit that I have never purchased it.  What an overwhelming task trying to figure out what to purchase.  Luckily, our medical expenses out of the country our covered.  I am mostly concerned with evacuation and trip expenses interruption.  I have reviewed the info on CC and contacted several brokers.  Since I am lucky enough to have 4 cruises planned in a 12 month period, I am looking for a yearly policy.  If anyone has any advice, I would welcome it.

I like the Wright quote and see it exemplified in his architecture.  His beautiful winter home Taliesan in Scottsdale, AZ had a canvas roof!  I highly recommend a visit and also to Falling Waters in PA.

I have been to Cozumel several times always staying away from the hustle and bustle of the town.  We usually look for a snorkeling trip or a catamaran sail.  If anyone has any recommendations for a private tour we will be there in March.

Positive thoughts to those who need them.  Cheers to those celebrating and cruising.

• Like 33

Happy Hump Day.  Thinking especially today of @luvteaching today; Karen's first full day without Phil.  Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann, and Dixie.  A great day with the ening of WW1 although the League of Nations was pretty much a bust.  I have been to Cozumel several times but I don't think ever on a BHB.  I'll pass on the body piercing but salute Insurance Awareness and Columnists.  I think Wright had it backwards.  The chicken skewers sound interesting.  Once again, I'll pass on an alternative.  I did cancel that prescription yesterday. 

Roy

• Like 32

Thanks for our Hump Day Daily, Rich.

Interesting collection of days.  I’ll celebrate all the columnists out there, gladly.  I am overly aware of insurance & the hassle it is to try to get claims paid.  Still working on it &, fighting and waiting. Grrrr.

IMG_3669.jpeg.d789dbc83f68e2b85f26fe1de1ae4144.jpeg

LOL on the Wright quote.  If you have the luxuries you have the necessities 😉 The meal sounds interesting and I do have chicken.  And yay!  Another white wine. 🥂 I absolutely adored Cozumel on my first visit - in fact, so much that I convinced DH it was the perfect spot for our honeymoon so many years ago.  Fabulous week including Chichen Itza which we flew to and avoided the crowds, heat & had a private guide.

IMG_3576.thumb.jpeg.02c12b81f4dc5f0173c3f73d5f349ff9.jpeg

Sorry about your smoke @puppycanducruise,  FYI, the N95 masks do help keep out the smoke and especially the particulates which are the real danger.  Raining here again.  For once I lucked out on one walk yesterday and escaped the downpour.  Sadly I can’t say the same about the previous one.

IMG_3652.jpeg.648adda51f960e789974375d88a3a40a.jpeg 

Special prayers for poor @luvteaching with her painful loss 💔 , for @smitty34877’s DH recovery, for @Vict0riann’s Pat, @marshhawk’s DH Chuck, @StLouisCruisers’s  DB after his fall & @summer slope’s DH & those on the Care list & that need them and cheer 🥂 to those Celebrating.

IMG_3627.jpeg.9153102a3617e877ab4b2a9570d7cd65.jpeg

Have a great Wednesday, everyone.

• Like 32
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, 0106 said:

Good Wednesday Morning and thank you for the F & D.

I have recently become aware of the importance of insurance while cruising because of the experiences of some of my friends.   I am embarrassed to admit that I have never purchased it.  What an overwhelming task trying to figure out what to purchase.  Luckily, our medical expenses out of the country our covered.  I am mostly concerned with evacuation and trip expenses interruption.  I have reviewed the info on CC and contacted several brokers.  Since I am lucky enough to have 4 cruises planned in a 12 month period, I am looking for a yearly policy.  If anyone has any advice, I would welcome it.

I like the Wright quote and see it exemplified in his architecture.  His beautiful winter home Taliesan in Scottsdale, AZ had a canvas roof!  I highly recommend a visit and also to Falling Waters in PA.

I have been to Cozumel several times always staying away from the hustle and bustle of the town.  We usually look for a snorkeling trip or a catamaran sail.  If anyone has any recommendations for a private tour we will be there in March.

Positive thoughts to those who need them.  Cheers to those celebrating and cruising.

It is important to have travel insurance to cover you especially if you need medical treatment or sadly need hospital or helicopter evacuation.

In the UK I pay a big Medical supplement on our annual worldwide travel policy and they insist all medical issues are declared otherwise insurance will be void.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Good morning friends! It's 65F and sunny this morning.  We expect a high of 90 with poorer air quality than usual.  In a few days time we will have a heat wave in this neck of the woods.  Not looking forward to it!

Thank you Rich @richwmn for today's Daily and Fleet Report.  Insurance Awareness Day is an interesting angle.  How do they make us aware of it?  🤔  Body Piercing can go too far IMO.  Leave it to the ear lobes and that should be sufficient.  I guess columnists wanted their own day just like everyone else.  People who post here could be called columnists or as I like to refer to us - reporters!

The meal suggestion is Korean chicken skewers, and I'll have to wait to see what Debbie @dfish has to say about them.  Dixie @summer slope will no doubt be right on top of the Cruzan Cider Punch ingredients.  Ahh, a chardonnay for the white wine drinkers.  Hope it's not too expensive Ann @cat shepard!  Thank you ladies for your diligence in posting reports each day!

The day in history is another biggie, since anything ending a war is so important.  

Yesterday was a sad day for Dailyites as we learned of Karen's @luvteaching DH Phil passing.  Prayers top and foremost for her and her family as they prepare to honor Phil and his life.🙏  In addition we want to send our thoughts and prayers to all the spouses who are under the weather or recovering from surgery and medical treatments.  Lou, Chuck, Pat and Allen - get well soon!  Also prayers for Dixie @summer slope, @srdancer, Annie @marshhawk, Ann @Vict0riann and Linda @lindaler.🙏  If I've missed anyone it's not intentional.  As for the Celebration list, happy sailing to our cruisers, and good wishes to everyone with happy and exciting news in their lives.🥂  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for the updated C&C lists.  Everyone stay safe in the bad weather out there including numerous tornadoes this month.

Our port of the day is Cozumel, Mexico.  Last and only time we had that port here was Dec. 10, 2022 and I'll post the link to that date below.  I was on the Amazon River cruise last December and did not post photos due to internet incompatability with Shutterfly.  We were there on Dawn Princess in 2004, Regal Princess in 2015 and Sky Princess in February of this year.  

In 2015 we took a tour to see Chichen Itza Mayan ruins.  We took Flat Stanley along with us!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKttGmkjtm022uNOpDp2uCx?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1450878289

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI8Y8zL0v2srLQ5dG6w7NFp?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1450878296

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLV4qP-73Vx7UkTiapso08y?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1450878318

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI2fHmewIwQTWFb-YN6YuDr?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1450878334

Hoping you all have a great day!

Edited by StLouisCruisers
spelling
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 6

Cruzan Cider Punch cocktail:

Ingredients
1/2 cups
Cruzan® Aged Dark Rum
8 cups Apple Cider
4 cups Orange Juice
1 cup Spiced syrup*
Garnish: Cinnamon Sticks,
Apple Slices

Instructions
Begin by making a spiced syrup: combine sugar, water, cinnamon sticks, and allspice in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir until sugar is dissolved then remove from heat and let cool.
 Once the spiced syrup has cooled, strain out the cinnamon sticks and allspice. Pour the syrup into a large pitcher with the rum, apple cider, and orange juice. Stir the ingredients together and refrigerate the pitcher for at least 2 hours.
 When ready, serve in a cocktail glass over ice and garnish with cinnamon or apple slices.
 Serves 10-12
 *For Spiced Syrup: 1 cup Water, 1 cup Sugar, 4 Cinnamon Sticks, Halved 4 Whole Allspice

Screenshot 2023-06-28 at 7.25.24 AM.png

• Like 23
  • Thanks 11

Quick check-in from the Dermatologist office with BFF for his MOHS procedure. We have a code red, briefly purple air quality alert today! I guess I won’t mow the lawn today. You can smell the smoke in the air. I’ll post in full later. 

• Like 29
  • Thanks 6

I have always been aware of insurance--my father was an insurance agent. Not enthusiastic about body piercing. Are the columnists newpaper columnists or Fifth Columnists?

The FLW quotation make be true to human nature, but is contrary to common sense.

Not sure about the meal. It would depend on the level of spiciness. Probably no on the drink, yes on the wine if it were available here. I don't think that it is, so I'll nominate Lakewood 2021 Chardonnay from Seneca Lake. I cancelled a cruise that would have called at Cozumel and recently used the deposit toward the Panama Canal cruise next year.

I got up at 6:30 a.m. and closed the windows. I still haven't seen DaVinci and Mona Lisa but they ate the wet food I set out last night, plus some dry.

eaudegrandma.thumb.jpg.bf379e7d83676e7210e27b48d9e851e3.jpg

• Like 18
  • Haha 15

56 minutes ago, puppycanducruise said:

I have noticed people wearing masks again, but I'm not sure surgical masks keep out smoke.

A surgical mask probably won't. N95 or KN95 will keep out most of the particles, although you may still be able to smell the smoke.

Our forecast for today is 105, which is just into the "unhealthy for sensitive groups" range. Tomorrow's forecast hasn't been posted yet.

Edited by kochleffel
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 3

Thank you for today’s R & D, Rich! A bit overcast this morning. Yesterday was a scorcher. Even Bindi did not want to walk far and she skipped supper totally. 😱 Hope today is not as bad. Even our prevailing winds did not offer much relief. But it would have been brutal without them. 

Vanessa, thank you for keeping up with our cares & celebrations. Keeping @luvteaching Karen and her family in my prayers. @smitty34877 Terry, praying that Lou, you, and your clan are getting much needed rest & that Lou’s road to recovery is smooth. 

Just chores, Bindi walks - short ones, HIIT and pool time should keep me out of trouble. 🤞🏻

IMG_1435.jpeg.0c776a47a80aa97cea1c1496ece1f0b3.jpeg

IMG_3769.jpeg.7c558d5928918f1b6f9dd125faa67f18.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support.  Cheers to all who are celebrating! Get well & stay well everyone!

Stonecroft Chardonnay Hawkes Bay Gimblett Gravels Old Vine 2021

Another somewhat elusive New Zealand wine. But at least one online New Zealand distributor ships worldwide for the decent price of $26.43 + shipping. 

Cameron Douglas’ review - 94 points

A complex bouquet with aromas of grapefruit and wild peach, other orchard stone fruits than aromas of oak from, vanilla and toasted barazil nut to a light wood smoke quality. Just shy of full-bodied on the palate with a lactic-cream quality, then flavours of nut and orchard fruits that reflect the bouquet. Fine wood tannins and medium+ acidity set the structure and foundation. A youthful, taut and complex wine with cellar time or immediete drinking options. Best from 2024 through 2029. Excellent

• Like 25
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 3

Good morning everyone.  Special prayers for @luvteaching in the loss of your DH Phil.  Sincere sympathy to you and your family.  

Thanks for the Daily Rich.  I think insurance is very important.  Piercings have gone too far IMHO.  I used to love having a physical newspaper and I had favorite columns to read. Getting delivery of a local paper where I live is impossible, they can't keep drivers so I subscribe to the local and the NYT online.  I rather agree that if one had luxuries they have already met their necessities.  I haven't been to Cozumel even after owning a time share in Cancun for 30 years which expired in 2017.  We had plenty of time to go but never made it. Heading there twice next winter.  I hope today's chicken recipes will be winners, cocktail sounds good and I hope it isn't a rare wine. 

Thanks Vanessa for keeping our Cares and Celebrations up to date for us who don't check in later in the day.   Prayers for @smitty34877 DH as he recovers from surgery.  Prayers for everyone needing them and the people of Ukraine. 

We have smoke here, we don't have clouds but it is really dingy.  I had to use my rescue inhaler for the first time in weeks. More due for today.  Have a great Wednesday. Some new blooms.  Nancy 

IMG_20230627_084337918_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230627_083932096.jpg

IMG_20230625_103320348_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230625_103039448_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230622_091752638_HDR.jpg

• Like 32
  • Thanks 3

Good morning. DH was finally moved to a room late yesterday afternoon.DD and I went yesterday  to see him but since we had to enter the recovery room one at a time our visits were brief. He was happy to be reunited  with his hearing aids. I thought he looked pretty good.

@luvteaching,  Karen, I am thinking of you today .It has to be so hard to manage all the things that need to be done at this stage.

We have not been to Cozumel.My pierced ears have closed up since I rarely wear any jewelry. Insurance is very important but such a process nowadays. One must be prepared to fight with them.

The last few days have not been good for meals around here.I started a chicken dish and vegetable enchiladas for later so we could have something " normal "  tonight.I had cereal for dinner yesterday.....

Be careful out there with the smoky skies and severe thunderstorms  around.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 4

Good morning,

It will be another scorcher here today along with an air quality alert. I don’t feel bad I can’t walk with the conditions we will have the next 3 days. 

I always pay for travel insurance and have used it 3 times for last minute cancellations. It has more than paid for itself and for any future premiums I pay. Fortunately the claims were paid quickly. 

Prayers for those on our care list especially @luvteaching as she navigates her way through the necessary tasks she must complete. 

• Like 30

Good Morning Everyone,  thanks for today's report.  Today's meal suggestion sounds good and I look forward to @dfish sharing pictures and recipes.  I'm aware of insurance since both house and car policies are due in June.  

An Aldi find in bloom on our deck.

20230628_082054.thumb.jpg.4e8b950a7983b8e7f7e36d4d0d5216f2.jpg

• Like 31
  • Thanks 2